Pet Owners

anniet

DIS Veteran
I'm posing this question to DVC members because I think this is the group that probably spends the most consecutive nights on Disney property and therefore the most nights away from their furry family members.

If DVC were to offer pet friendly accomodations for members (non pet owners don't freak, I'm thinking these would be a small number of accomodations probably SEPERATE from non pet friendly accomodations) Would you take the family pet with you to Disney?
:dogdance: :cat: :fish: :dog: pug: :dog2: paw:
Just wondering.

We have 3 dogs and love them to death. Out of the 3 I would probably consider taking 1. During our WDW trips we have a house/dog sitter stay at our home...so we know the animals are well cared for. The only down side to this would be the rooms would only be able to rented to pet owners....odors and allergies would make the rooms not usable for non pet owners, sort of like a non smoker getting a smoking room. Also if the dog would have to fed and let out.....so leaving the parks to care for your animal would kind of stink. In my eyes its a vacation....and leaving the daily routine behind is part of it. My DW I'm sure would disagree though, she'd bring all 3.

Brownie

anniet said:
Would you take the family pet with you to Disney?
Just wondering.

Nope! I have 2 dogs and a parrot. I'd be too worried about the stress of getting to WDW and then the stress of adapting to a new surrounding. Also, you'd have to be concerned with diseases/parasites passed on from one pet to another (parvo,ticks,fleas,etc). Nope... It's a good thought, but they're happy being at home with a sitter and I'm happy that I don't have to leave Jellyrolls early to let them out :rotfl2:
....just a side note... they do have kennels on property if you wanted to bring your pet and then you could visit them and walk/play with them, but not have all the responsibilites incase you got tied up in the park.

Thanks for the topic to discuss :sunny:

We have 2 furry children that I love dearly. I am one of those crazy people that have birthday parties for their dogs. They are the only kids I have but I would not take them on vacation. I don't want to wake up at 6:30 every morning to walk them and pick up poo on my vacation. Then with my luck I would step in poo because some other owner did pick up after their pet. Plus I would have to go back to the room several times a day to let the dogs out. I guess that answers the age old question "Who let the dogs out". :rotfl:

My dogs get very upset when they are in strange surroundings and we pay too much in maintenance fees to have my babies destroy the room. As much as I know that my dogs understand exactly what I am saying, the bottom line is that they are animals and at the most inconvienent times their natural instincts kick in and they do something completely out of character.

Mine do much better at home with a pet sitter.

I love my pets to death BUT taking them on vacation to a pet friendly DVC or resort is not going to happen. The constant attention of walking, feeding and cleaning up afterwards in the room is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. There are many good kennels around where we live and that is where they have always gone and guess what, the trama we inflict on us leaving them is more than they feel being left behind. I can see the same thing happening with these rooms that now happen when folks request non-smoking or ADA rooms and get it anyway because that was all that was available. I also think that if they did have rooms deidcated like this there should be an extra cleaning fee attached. I don't want my dues going to support this...smjj

No.

I have cats and live in Pennsylvania. None of my furbabies enjoy traveling, so taking them on vacation would be too stressful for them. I miss them when I'm away, but leave them in capable hands. Usually I call at least once to see how they're doing.

An alternative suggestion to bring up to DVC mgmt might be discounts to the kennels for DVC members and/or more convenient locations for the kennels.

Thanks for the replies! It was just something that crossed my mind, as we had to bring our cat from Florida to Massachusetts (we just moved back) and we found that there are some pet-friendly hotels out there. And truthfully the rooms weren't any different than any other rooms we've been in, but I think there was a 60lb limit on the pets as well.

I probably wouldn't bring our cat on a vacation, but was curious if anyone else felt the desire to.

I'm in the minority, but I'd take our dog in a heartbeat! The only thing that would make me think twice is having to drive instead of flying (he's too big for under the seat and I'd worry myself sick if I had to check him).

This past weekend we stayed at a hotel with the dog and had a great time. However, we have a travel crate that goes with us, and anytime we are not in the room with him he's crated. He's still only 9 months old, and I wouldn't even think of leaving him in the room alone (heck he still doesn't even get to stay HOME alone unless he's crated, let alone in a strange place LOL). :rotfl:

It's funny to see this thread, because we sat with the dog and had a few drinks by the pool over the weekend (he normally lays down under the table) and DH and I were wishing we could be at Disney with him like that! :goodvibes

Not a chance - the two kitties stay home where they are much happier than they would ever be on a trip.

If I had only one small dog, I might consider it - but the rug rats are going to the kennel here. It's like a vacation for them and they probably have more fun playing with the other dogs than staying in a room all day anyway. I do kind of like the kennel idea.

We love Disney and go several times a year, but we love our dogs MORE. We have 4 Schnauzers and it is a chore to find someone to come in at least 3 times a day to let them out, feed them and visit with them for a while.

We would take them in a heartbeat, in fact, that is why we don't go to Disney more often. All of ours are well behaved, like to stay in a crate. We don't even think of boarding them while away. The one time we kept one at the WDW Kennel, we must have visited her at least 3 times during the day.

As I said, they are like our children. My husband takes at least one whereever he travels during the day.

We have 3 cats, we board them at the vet, it is expensive...but I would not take them to WDW with me. Nor would I want a pet friendly DVC for several reasons...maintenance costs would be astronomical. Not everyone would care for their pets like "you" do. With the humidity and warm weather in Florida, think fleas, fleas, fleas and more fleas.

Fantasia goes to the "Puppy Spa" or to gramndma's house-who over feeds her with Jr. Bacon cheeseburgers. I would NEVER transport her under the belly side of a jet--have heard horror stories about it being too cold down there and the pet freezes to death. Also would'nt take the chance of her being lost at the airport by baggage handlers-or worse yet her escaping from a travel carrier-which happened to some prize winning Westminster Kennel Club show dogs last year??--did they ever find?

Anyways she doesn't like strangers(would bark too much) and is quite protective of her family -being a cocker spaniel.

Scott

Its like the smoking issues. There are those who would follow the rules to a "T" and then there are those who think they do not need to follow the rules. It is the last kind that ruin it for all concerned..smjj

anniet said:
I'm posing this question to DVC members because I think this is the group that probably spends the most consecutive nights on Disney property and therefore the most nights away from their furry family members.

If DVC were to offer pet friendly accomodations for members (non pet owners don't freak, I'm thinking these would be a small number of accomodations probably SEPERATE from non pet friendly accomodations) Would you take the family pet with you to Disney?
:dogdance: :cat: :fish: :dog: pug: :dog2: paw:
Just wondering.
ABSOLUTELY NOT! We have 7 dogs, and they aren't small ones. I leave them home with a pet sitter who comes in 3 times a day to care for them. It costs me more than $100 a day, but there is NO WAY I think folks should EVER bring a pet on vacation.

Besides, if you think trying to book a non-smoking room for medical reasons has challenges now when most of the rooms are non-smoking, just try to book a "pet free" room in the future! UGH!

I thought the Disney kennels were not available overnight but during the day only. They would watch your pet while in the parks but not overnight. Was I wrong?

No, we wouldn't bring our 2 cats and I'll admit the real reason for us is-I'm selfish! One of the cats is DH's "little baby", follows him around everywhee, sleeps with him, etc. When we're on vacation, I don't want to have to share DH with anyone else, even his "little baby". The other cat's just a plain ole grump and wouldn't like to be uprooted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter