Pet Owners

Sometimes people mention that they would like to retire or be a snowbird for the winter using their DVC accomodations. Not being able to have my pets with me is the biggest reason we wouldn't consider an extended (month or so) stay at DVC.

I don't think that pets would ever be allowed in DVC accomodations and I am not devastated. I have my pets with me on a 2 week vacation right now. They don't need to come to WDW with me. If I decided to bring them, we would stay in a camper.

rwc pirate:

starwood said:
I thought the Disney kennels were not available overnight but during the day only. They would watch your pet while in the parks but not overnight. Was I wrong?

Overnight in the kennels IS an option. There won't be a CM there overnight, but then there's not someone at my vet's overnight either.

anniet said:
Did you say SEVEN dogs?????????????????????????????????? :eek: ;)
Yep, we have a kennel full of show dogs. I actually did bring dogs to Disney once when we tried to combine a WDW trip with a dog show trip. It was a big pain to have to constantly be going over to the kennel to walk the dogs etc. We did it once, and from there on decided WDW trips and dog show trips needed to be seperated!

Spicey as most of you know - did go with me to WDW. When we used my DVC he stayed in one of the WDW kennels.

He liked FW and got used to it. so even when staying at BWV - he would be at FW kennel... (I tried Epcot a couple of time - it is nice - but he liked and was used to FW) Also tried Studios (much closer to BWV) and MK (TTC) - too many buses....

he went with me for 21 years - we stayed in the WDW resorts before DVC.

sometimes I would stay offsite in places where he could stay. lately we have been staying at a timeshare offsite - celebration world resort that accepts pet. It was great!!!

Spicey was very well behaved and never had any fears taking him out in public.

the only person he bite was me - he hated to take baths - but sometimes he needed one - boy cat.

However I didn't mind going to visit him 3 to 4 times a day.... He did not like long walks in the morning, afternoon - but at night on yea he walked and walked sometimes over two hours. So staying at a WDW kennel was our best solution.

that say he was there for me. I was very, very attached to him and I hated to be apart. So it was very selfish on my part. but I need him - especially traveling with relatives.... I don't know what will happen this Sept - I hope I will walk away before it gets violent.... we are NOT a peacefully family (I wish we were)

there are other much nicer kennels in the WDW area. but as I say Spicey liked to walk at night. these places don't have anyone there at night.
http://www.basspetmotel.com/index.htm

with a WDW kennel I could walk Spicey at night after the park were close - just call the security guards. Or what I did most of the time - we left to go home like 3 or 4 am in the morning - so I would call the security guard to get him out...

WDW kennels worked better for me and Spicey. Oh I miss him....

anyway all the WDW kennels allow you to board your pet for 24 hours - it is $9 for overnight stays for onsite guests (including DVC), it is $11 for offsite guests who want to board overnight. for day guests it is $6.

here is some more information
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/kennels.htm

the epcot kennel use to have a pet walking service $2.50 per day per walk - but someone say they did away with that service.

disney last year send me a survey - they asked a ton of questions (probably why most people didn't do it) -

they were looking at setting up a pet center - like the expensive ones in NY - more pet sitting than a kennel. with lots of things for your pet to do and participate in....

well cats don't like to socialize in the same ways dogs do - so most of my answers were negative.

however they did offer some stuff I though would be wonderful - they would play with your pet, massage your animal, walk your pet, bigger and nicer cages, and make him/her feel like a million dollars...

Any of the stuff the majority NYC kennels would have they would have. I think they even mentioned a swimming pool....

but as I say this survey was long...... so most people probably did not participate. So I would not count on any of this stuff in the foreseeable future....

also of course the price would increase from $9 to $30(?) a day.

if you want any other kennels - look at this site

http://www.abka.com/abka/findAFacility/default.aspx

Lake buena vista is where WDW is located - all WDW kennels are listed.

Kissimmee is not too far

Orlando would be my last choice. AAA lists a bunch of other places being close - but if you are staying at WDW - the others would be kind of far (my opinion).

anniet said:
If DVC were to offer pet friendly accomodations for members (non pet owners don't freak, I'm thinking these would be a small number of accomodations probably SEPERATE from non pet friendly accomodations) Would you take the family pet with you to Disney?
:dogdance: :cat: :fish: :dog: pug: :dog2: paw:
Just wondering.
Yes, absolutely!

We dread leaving our two greyhounds and would love to travel with them. In fact, we will never go away unless we have a pet sitter who will stay at our house with our babies...we refuse to kennel them.

Nope, no way. We took my dog to the ocean once and stayed at a pet friendly condo resort, it was horrible. He was so anxious. If I were to take him I'd have to keep him drugged the whole trip or he'd be in a constant panic. If they were pet friendly rooms they'd have to enact some surcharges or something to pay for the increased maintenance.

I love my cat....but would never bring him on Vacation....We all feel bad when we leave him...but I would feel worse having to put him through a flight and bringing him into a different environment than what he is used to.

I also think it would cause a lot of problems at the resorts....Like someone else said..it will just become another smoking issue.

We stayed at a Universal Resort where pets are allowed....and I can't tell you how many times we almost stepped in Dog Droppings...even though there are areas to walk your pets....people just took them all over.

There was also a time when my little girl who loves animals went to go over to someone with there dog and the dog snapped at her....The lady said sorry but he don't like children. It would have been nice if she said something before my daughter went over. It would have been even nicer if her dog wasn't in a place were there are hundreds of children running around.

Our poor siamese throws up everytime we put her in the carrier. So we don't even make her go elsewhere in town when we go on vacation. My niece and her fiance stay here while we are gone. Freak (our kitty) thinks her biannual vet trips are traumatic enough. I would never put her through traveling. We are thinking of moving to FL and I haven't figured out how she is going to get there. :guilty:

YES, we would definitely take our 5 year old 6 pound Pomeranian! It is such a PAIN to find someone to keep him. We used to have a wonderful pet spa/daycare place, but they went out of business.

We recently drove to Washington, DC, about 10 hours, and took him with us. We went to a reunion, which was at a Sheraton, and they allow pets. It was BLISS! We would get up in the morning, take him out to walk, put him in his kennel during the day, usually be back before dinner, take him out again, then he'd chill in the room while we went to dinner. We'd take him out again before bed. It was really no different than our routine at home, when we go to work.

denecarter said:
Overnight in the kennels IS an option. There won't be a CM there overnight, but then there's not someone at my vet's overnight either.

This is exactly why I don't leave my pet at the vet overnight, there is no one there. Even when he has had surgery, I bring him home that day. Why leave him there overnight, if no one is there to keep an eye on him? I have never understood that. "I" can keep an eye on him at home! When he used to go to the "spa" overnight, before they went out of business, he slept in the room with the owner at night.

We've thought of taking him with us to Disney, especially when we stay at VWL, as it's so close to one of the kennels. But it would be such a pain. We'd have to go GET him in the morning to walk him, where if he was in the room with us, we could just walk him then. I would even be willing to take him to the kennel during the day, while we went to the park, and while someone was at the kennel. But I wouldn't leave him there at night with no attendant. I'd take him to Disney if the rule was he couldn't be left in the room, unless we were with him. At least that's something.

No. Personally I don't get the "dog will love DVC" theory at all. My pets have always LOVED thier home and that's what pet sitters are for. And if you fly, taking your pet down there can actually be dangerous, if it's too big to fly with you it gets to go in the hold.... Trust me, it's not that nice down there.

Nope, as much as I love my beagle (Toby) I would absolutely NOT take him on vacation to WDW with us. I think he needs his vacation away as much as we do.

I love my two dogs but would not take them. They are big dogs and are very protective, they bark at any noise they hear. DH and I had to stay one night at a Holiday Inn that was pet friendly, we had the dogs in the room with us and every little noise they heard they would bark. I didn't sleep much, was up probably before 5am because they heard footsteps in the hallway. I also would hate to disturb other's that are trying to sleep.

I have a pet sitter come and let them out while on vaca. They do better in their own environment. :dog: :dog2:

The very few folks who have posted here wanting to take their pets seem to be the kind that would follow the rules to a "T" as far as cleaning up after them and making sure their pets did not disturbe other quest. However we know from experience for every one like them there are those who do not think the rules apply. The last thing I want is to be kept awake all night by a barking dog or walk around a mess one created and was not cleaned up or walk by one that wants to take a chunk out of me. As we have seem with the smokers verus the non-smokers threads, it is these few that ruin it for all others concerned. Then there is Disney themselfs. How many times have we read here where a person requested a room for this reason or that and was not able to get that room so they were put in a room that was unacceptable. I.E. a non-smoker put in a smoking room or a CM telling a smoker it was OK to smoke in the non-smoking room. Then there are the ADA room we have been reading about on a thread on this forum. Would Disney put a family in a pet friendly area if there were no other room allowed?? You get the picture. If it did happen, I think a $50.00 extra cleaning fee per night would not be out of the question. I do not want my duess going for this type of change, thats for sure...smjj

We would not - but that's because we fly down and spend most of our time away from the room. I don't think it's fair to our dogs. We instead have a great relationship with our dogs' trainer and board our dogs with him whenever we leave town (which probably adds up to at least 6 weeks out of the year). They also spend some time there every year in training, so are very comfortable with it, and we don't have to worry. He's about an hour drive each way, so it's the best solution.

Now, for road trips, esp. up to WI where we can take the dogs on the boat, etc., then yes, we always plan to stay in a place where are dogs are welcome and we take them along.

I just want to clarify that if this were ever an option we'd drive down. I'd never stow away my dogs. Also, we'd take the metal collapsable crates with us to keep them contained in the room while we were out. They use them at home all the time voluntarily, I might add.

I'd also pay extra cleaning fees if it meant being able to have my pups with us. And BTW -- We're not commando park hoppers. We do a few hours and then relax at our villa, then back out again. We're not usually out of our villa more than 5 or 6 hours at a time.

As much as I'd love to have my cats with us, the trip would be too upsetting for them and the change of environment. I would expect litterbox accidents. It is better for them to stay home.

We're leaving at 5 am tomorrow morning, so we dropped off our Sheltie and Yorkie with our vet at the last possible moment today before they closed. When we got home, I mentioned this thread. I said that somebody asked if anybody was interested in a pet friendly DVC... I had barely said the words when DD18 said YES!

I've been feeling guilty about leaving them for days. Right now it is pretty horrible. They love our vet and I know they will be treated very well. It's just that this trip is longer than our normal trips... today I even asked the vet about a dog's perception of time (will they notice that we're gone longer than usual?). :rotfl:

As far as the rooms, I totally understand why some people wouldn't want the possibility of being stuck in a "pet" room. I don't really see it happening, but if it did, it would almost have to be that the entire resort was pet friendly, so if you booked there, you'd know what you were getting into. But that also has it's problems (my home resort and everything else is booked... looks like I have to stay with the dogs).

I would kind of like a kennel somewhere between what they currently have and the "pet camp" idea that was in a survey someone mentioned taking. Our dogs are a little older and wouldn't be "into" some of the stuff that was mentioned... plus $30 is a bit steep... especially x2.

I have a 3 lb chihuahua and we take him everywhere. I have to stay ay RPR at universal because he can't stay at disney and I am a DVC owner. I wish disney would allow pets at the values or moderates as they have several building that could be pet friendly. universal does it and now I have to rent my DVC and stay there .I wrote disney and told them this they could use seperate buildings .we leave this friday and he's going he also stays in condos at the jersey shore and I am taaking him to southern ca when we go. san diego and hunington [spelling]beach are pet friendly we will aslo take him to key west. now if he can only go on the disney crusie I would be very happy. I would also pay an extra cleaning fee. he's to small for any
kennel he would be to scared and no one on either side of our family has ever helped us with anything. my DD's friend will watch her boy friend's cat cause he has no family in this area and he will pay her.
maria

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter