Party of 13 and your kitchen sink too...

Gypsybear

It's all about the Villains
Ok, so we have another Disney trip planned for early June. This was going to be our chance to have my partner reconnect with some college friends. So, 5 of us began our preliminary discussions.

The Players:

Me (46) – grew up in FL…Disney is like a second home
DP (43) – has been to Disney twice before
C (30 something) – College friend of DP – has been to Disney once in his life…over 20 years ago
Y – (30 something) – College friend of DP – has never been to Disney
E – (14) – Daughter of C & Y – has never been to Disney

So, as I mentioned, we began preliminary discussions back in September of 2009. Of course, that being said, preliminary discussions for me, involves planning out each day, etc. 

About a 3 weeks after we began discussions, we get an email from C that he’s invited 2 other friends from Mississippi to join us (S & T – who are married). DP went to college with them as well.

So, we’re in October, and now we’re a party of 7.

We added:

S (39 - hubby) – has a DVC membership – goes to Disney frequently
T (39 – wife) – has a DVC membership – goes to Disney frequently

Well, S & T are big time Disney fanatics like me. So this is going well so far. Then comes the bombshell. C has decided that since T and myself are such great planners, that we should make the plans for everyone. Hmmmm, ok, I’m that much of a control freak, so I figure “OK, I can work with T”. Well, wouldn’t you know, T decided that since she was planning her other Disney trip, that she’d let me handle this one by myself. Hmmm, I figure “Ok, what’s the worst that can happen”?

Now, let’s move to December, it’s now time to make our ADRs. All is well in the world, as I get all the ADRs that we wanted. YAY!! Disney, here comes our party of 7.

Screeeeeech!! Hold up! Not so fast there, oh naïve one!!

Fast forward to end of January. I get an email from T, letting me know that now need to add (K & A).

So, we have now added:

K – (30 something) – has never been to Disney
A – (10ish) – K’s son – has never been to Disney

So, what does that mean? It means that I need to change our ADRs to accommodate 9 now. UGH…I hate making changes, because you can never guarantee that you get the times you want. But I trudge through it and make the changes. Unfortunately, It changed some of the TIMES for some of our ADRs. One ADR, we’re unable to add to….the one at Le Cellier. It can’t be changed from a party of 7 at all. So, I inform the group, and S & T decide that they’ll dine at Chefs du France and let the rest of us dine at Le Cellier, since we’ve not been there before.

Now comes the good part. Enter February.

DP gets a message in FB from C, telling him to “gently” let me know that I need to forward the information to another of his friends about our trip, as she may want to attend and bring her family. So, after coming down off the ceiling, I send the info, and I sheepishly ask how many would be attending? I am informed that it could potentially be another 11 folks! :scared1::scared1::scared1:

You can well imagine what happened next.

Well, the good part is that I never got confirmation that they were coming, so all was still well with the world.

Boy, I think I live in my own little world. But unfortunately, I keep getting visitors.

You guessed it….another message.

This time, I need to add another C to our group.

So, here’s our newest addition:

C – (30 something) – goes to Disney frequently, and a good friend of S & T

Now we’re at 10 folks. So I have to call Disney again regarding our ADRs. Eh, I lucked out…he was added to our ADRs, but will have to be added to S&Ts dinner at Chefs du France. No problem adding him to their ADR.

Late February…..you guessed it….another message. I’m beginning to hate Facebook at this point. LOL

Another message to let us know that we need to add T from Arkansas.

T – (30 something friend of C & Y)) – has never been to Disney

So, we’re now a party of 11. And once more, time to update those ADRs. At this point, I have to split us into 2 groups to accommodate us at Sci-Fi Dine In…the 2 groups are 10 mins apart on ADRs, so I can live with that….I keep the 5 of us with no kids in one group, and put the rest of them in another group.

Once again, all is well with the world. And at this point, I begin doing some pre-shopping. Compact umbrellas – check. Lanyards – check, Name Badge holders – check, extra rechargeable batteries for all electronic devices – check. Locate portable DVD player – check. Ah…things are going so well.

Fast forward to March….ah, I see you’re ahead of me already…..you got it…another message from C, asking me to forward the information we have to his cousin and her son (P & R).

A couple of days later….yup, you guessed….we’re now a party of 13.

So, we’ve added:

P (30 something) – has never been to Disney
R (11 – son of P) – has never been to Disney

A week later, I receive an email from P asking me to add them to our ADRs. LOL…

OMG, can you believe that when I called Disney Dining, the CM who assisted me, remembered me from when I added number 11 to our party….she felt sorry for me and went out of her way to make the changes I needed and keep me calm. All in all, not too bad…it did change our times again, but they were actually better times this time around….so all is well with the world.

So now that I’ve totally confused you, here’s the LATEST rundown on the players…

Me (46) – grew up in FL…Disney is like a second home
DP (43) – has been to Disney twice before
C (30 something) – College friend of DP – has been to Disney once in his life…over 20 years ago
Y – (30 something) – College friend of DP – has never been to Disney
E – (14) – Daughter of C & Y – has never been to Disney
S (39 - hubby) – has a DVC membership – goes to Disney frequently
T (39 – wife) – has a DVC membership – goes to Disney frequently
K – (30 something) – has never been to Disney
A – (10ish) – K’s son – has never been to Disney
C – (30 something) – goes to Disney frequently, and a good friend of S & T
T – (30 something friend of C & Y)) – has never been to Disney
P (30 something) – has never been to Disney
R (11 – son of P) – has never been to Disney

Now, we’re in April, and so far so good….no more additions or changes. YAY!!

In case any of you are wondering how my DP (in his 40s), went to college with all these 30 somethings.....easy...my DP LOVED college....he kept taking classes and more classes....has more than one degree.... :confused3 Can we say....Career Student? :rolleyes1

Oh, my! :scared1: You are WAAAAY more patient than I am. Because at some point after the group reached 7 I would have told the rest of the interlopers to take a hike. ;)

I hope everything goes well. We have decided that it works MUCH better for us to meet up with folks AT WDW as opposed to trying to travel, lodge, and eat as though we are all stuck together with velcro. :rotfl:

I hope everything goes well. We have decided that it works MUCH better for us to meet up with folks AT WDW as opposed to trying to travel, lodge, and eat as though we are all stuck together with velcro. :rotfl:

Actually, I've been thinking about that, and have thought about asking some of the other "veterans", if we can split the newbies up with us, and meet back at designated ADR times.... I'll let you know how that conversation goes... :scared:

As for lodging....

DP and I are staying at CSR...

S & T are taking K, A and C # 2 to Bay Lake Tower with them...

The remainder of them are all going to be at ASMovies....

Should make for some interesting differences in experiences....lol

All you need is a person with a name starting with "I" and you can spell MICKEY!!!!!!!

I am with Elizabeth, I would have flipped my lid long before! We went with a group of 4 babies (6mo old twins, my 1.5yo and 2.5yo), 7 adults and 1 preteen in 2006. Thankfully my dad and I were in charge of the ADRs, so he came over one night, we picked out where we wanted to try and I called and made them all. In 2008 we went with my MIL and FIL (oh, what a treat) and I made ADRs, carefully chosen with the food tastes of everyone in mind (read, my inlaws bland tastes) only to hear that the food wasn't that good or they would rather go to the room to watch the ball game!!!!

Our sept trip will just be the 4 of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool1: I made the ADRs and asked my DH multiple times if he wanted to give input and he didn't, although I know once we are there I will go ape on him when he asks why we are eating so late or why were are eating here or there!

As for lodging....

DP and I are staying at CSR...

S & T are taking K, A and C # 2 to Bay Lake Tower with them...

The remainder of them are all going to be at ASMovies....

Should make for some interesting differences in experiences....lol

The good thing about this is that if you are park commandos (like we are) you aren't left with that awkward feeling that you are obligated to wait until EVERYBODY is ready to leave for the parks. People finishing breakfast and then going back to the room made me INSANE. You bring your park items TO breakfast, then proceed directly to the bus! NO STOPPING! :headache:

Staying in different resorts gives you a little bit of wiggle room. And if the others are making you crazy just tell them YOU forgot something in your room and you have to go back and retrieve it. I promise you NOBODY will volunteer to accompany you! Once you shake them, go on about your day! :laughing:

Poor DS got a bloody nose one day at MGM. That proved to be a pretty effective way to split up the group. I took him back to AKL to get a clean shirt and we didn't see the rest of our party until dinner.

The good thing about this is that if you are park commandos (like we are) you aren't left with that awkward feeling that you are obligated to wait until EVERYBODY is ready to leave for the parks. People finishing breakfast and then going back to the room made me INSANE. You bring your park items TO breakfast, then proceed directly to the bus! NO STOPPING! :headache:.

OMG, yes, that would drive me INSANE....I see you're a vacationer after my own heart... :)

Staying in different resorts gives you a little bit of wiggle room. And if the others are making you crazy just tell them YOU forgot something in your room and you have to go back and retrieve it. I promise you NOBODY will volunteer to accompany you! Once you shake them, go on about your day! :laughing:.

Oh, I already told DP that unless we all have the understanding that THEY are paying our MY vacation, then I reserve the right to "ditch them" at any time, if they begin to work my last good vacation nerve...lol....

Poor DS got a bloody nose one day at MGM. That proved to be a pretty effective way to split up the group. I took him back to AKL to get a clean shirt and we didn't see the rest of our party until dinner.

What a godsend....sorry it had to be that way to get you out, but you know what I mean.... :rolleyes1

So, next up....

T of S & T has decided that she'd like to make tie-dye tee's for everyone...so she's asked that we all send her a white tee for each of us....she will tie-dye them, and send them back to us... :)

Sounds like a good plan....so that'll mean that there will be 13 of us wearing these shirts... :eek::eek::eek: Should I be worried? I think so!!

I'm considering making us some iron on shirts using my Silhouette machine and the new flocked material from Silhouette America. Still not sure about it, but definitely considering it.

On the otherhand, I'm still working on more jewelry pieces to wear during our week there...so far I have a mickey icon head domed pendant, and a Pirate Mickey earring...all made from fine silver...can't wait to give them a try at the parks... :)

I think that covers it for now....lol...we'll see...

I think I just went insane going over the list of people :scared1: Wow!! I think if that second big group came you should get a cut of everyones $$ for vacation!! It is only fair! :confused3
:goodvibes

Have you been over to the DISign board? Some of those people make matching shirts for everyone in their group, for EVERY DAY of their trips! :scared1: It's a bit frightening. The threads have titles like "Just finished all 278 shirts!" :eek:

The year we went for my birthday I did have custom T's done at the mall for everyone in our group. We wore them to MK. But just that one day.

The jewelry sounds really cool! :thumbsup2

Have you been over to the DISign board? Some of those people make matching shirts for everyone in their group, for EVERY DAY of their trips! :scared1: It's a bit frightening. The threads have titles like "Just finished all 278 shirts!" :eek:

The year we went for my birthday I did have custom T's done at the mall for everyone in our group. We wore them to MK. But just that one day.

The jewelry sounds really cool! :thumbsup2

:scared1::scared1::scared1: OMG!!! 278 shirts?? oh NO!!

Now, for one day, that's something I can handle....lol

I'm happy with the jewelry.....

Got a few tees today at the Disney Clearance thing...

Frank

I got tees from the DS for all of us to wear one day....needless to say, DH vetoed it! SO the boys and I all wore our red Mickey t's!

When we go we put the boys in matching or similar outfits. I do that as a practical thing...if we lose a child I don't have to remember what they were wearing, we just look at the one child we have left!

:scared1::scared1::scared1: OMG!!! 278 shirts?? oh NO!!

Now, for one day, that's something I can handle....lol

I'm happy with the jewelry.....

Got a few tees today at the Disney Clearance thing...

Frank

OK, so maybe not REALLY 278 shirts. ;) But some of them spend hours and hours making shirts, and they really do have matching shirts for every single day of the trip.

We hit the liquidation sale yesterday, too. Found 2 WDW T's for DS and that was it. Mr. Z was coming in as we were paying for our stuff. He bought A LOT more than I did! :rotfl2:

I got tees from the DS for all of us to wear one day....needless to say, DH vetoed it! SO the boys and I all wore our red Mickey t's!

When we go we put the boys in matching or similar outfits. I do that as a practical thing...if we lose a child I don't have to remember what they were wearing, we just look at the one child we have left!

Hmmmmm, that actually makes sense... :thumbsup2

OK, so maybe not REALLY 278 shirts. ;) But some of them spend hours and hours making shirts, and they really do have matching shirts for every single day of the trip.

Still, that's just too matchy matchy for my taste....I think doing the one day will be MORE than enough....lol

We hit the liquidation sale yesterday, too. Found 2 WDW T's for DS and that was it. Mr. Z was coming in as we were paying for our stuff. He bought A LOT more than I did! :rotfl2:

I got a total of 3 tees, and 2 caps (for Mr. Grumpypants)....I noticed that most of the stuff was DisneyLAND stuff....now WDWORLD stuff....

Why does that not surprise me about Mr. Z??? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Still, that's just too matchy matchy for my taste....I think doing the one day will be MORE than enough....lol

I got a total of 3 tees, and 2 caps (for Mr. Grumpypants)....I noticed that most of the stuff was DisneyLAND stuff....now WDWORLD stuff....

Why does that not surprise me about Mr. Z??? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Yep. Matching for one day is about my max, too. ;) We all have matching HRC shirts for this year. DH was grumbling about it, but he will wear it.

The liquidation sale was HEAVILY DL stuff. The dude told us the entire truck was DL, not WDW. I guess we were lucky to find the WDW stuff we bought. His rep was supposed to meet with the WDW people one day this week, but he didn't know if they would get any WDW stuff before the location closes. Really, since there is a permanent liquidation store in Orlando I can't see why they would want to ship that stuff to TX. I am conflicted about driving back up there. DS certainly didn't NEED the 2 T's we bought, but they were a pretty good deal. The thing that saved us was the limited selection of sizes. I saw a couple of cute things but they were either WAY too big or WAY too small.

Yep. Matching for one day is about my max, too. ;) We all have matching HRC shirts for this year. DH was grumbling about it, but he will wear it.

The liquidation sale was HEAVILY DL stuff. The dude told us the entire truck was DL, not WDW. I guess we were lucky to find the WDW stuff we bought. His rep was supposed to meet with the WDW people one day this week, but he didn't know if they would get any WDW stuff before the location closes. Really, since there is a permanent liquidation store in Orlando I can't see why they would want to ship that stuff to TX. I am conflicted about driving back up there. DS certainly didn't NEED the 2 T's we bought, but they were a pretty good deal. The thing that saved us was the limited selection of sizes. I saw a couple of cute things but they were either WAY too big or WAY too small.

Hmmmmm, may have to make another trip to check it out if they get WDW stuff in.....I've been to both parks, so it's not that big a deal to me....now Mr. Grumpypants is another story.....never been to DL....

And you're right...the sizes were odd....lol....which I guess was a good thing in the long term.... :confused3:confused3

Oooooh, guess what?? They're doing the discounted Pre-Purchase on the PhotoPass CD again....gotta go get on board for that.... :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Oooooh, guess what?? They're doing the discounted Pre-Purchase on the PhotoPass CD again....gotta go get on board for that.... :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I got ours, too, because I am a sucker.:rolleyes: I mean, how can I have a proper vacation without a CD full of blurry, off center, overexposed pics of us with sun in our eyes?

I got ours, too, because I am a sucker.:rolleyes: I mean, how can I have a proper vacation without a CD full of blurry, off center, overexposed pics of us with sun in our eyes?

For me, that will be the only way my family will remember I am on vacation with them...as I am usually BEHIND the camera! I might order it and make sure I get my money's worth!!!! HEHE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter