"Official" Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2016 - Have Yourself a Very Mickey Christmas.

Hi everyone, we're going to the Christmas Party on the 22nd. Seeing as how it seems like all the meet and greets are so long, we're thinking of just using the evening as a 'do all the rides we can' evening along with the parade and fireworks. Our kids are 14 and 9 so we're going to ask them what they would prefer and we think we know the answer. Is this a decent alternative plan to the meet and greets? Will we be able to get on a bunch of rides during the party?

Thank you.

I have a 11 and 12 year old and that's exactly what I am doing!

I'm looking forward to Friday's Party but the weather looks like it is going to be on the cold side (low of 46). Any tips?

What time should I look for a spot for the second parade if I want to watch it from Main Street or the hub?
I've heard to find a spot an hour before, but I simply can't waste that much time sitting around. I'll see what is available at 30 minutes prior to the parade and see how it goes....

We're considering adding a second party on Tuesday the 13th after our first party on the 11th. I'm wondering if it might sell out if we don't go ahead and buy them now. Does anyone have any experience from last year? I know the parties on the 18th and 22nd are already sold out. We'd really use the second day as a chance to get to rides with short lines and sleep in that day instead! :)

I see no reason not to just buy the second set of tickets now. It might sell out or it might not. If you want to go for sure why risk it?

Hi everyone, we're going to the Christmas Party on the 22nd. Seeing as how it seems like all the meet and greets are so long, we're thinking of just using the evening as a 'do all the rides we can' evening along with the parade and fireworks. Our kids are 14 and 9 so we're going to ask them what they would prefer and we think we know the answer. Is this a decent alternative plan to the meet and greets? Will we be able to get on a bunch of rides during the party?

Thank you.

It's a decent alternative plan If your party would like that better than characters. And yes, you should be able to do a lot of rides. Try to get the more popular ones, sdmt, pp and jingle cruise during parades or fireworks.

I'm looking forward to Friday's Party but the weather looks like it is going to be on the cold side (low of 46). Any tips?

We'll be there too. Dress warm. We travel with bubble jackets, easy to pack and insulated enough. Might wear a fleece underneath. We're all packed and just waiting for Wednesday to roll around.

We'll be there too. Dress warm. We travel with bubble jackets, easy to pack and insulated enough. Might wear a fleece underneath. We're all packed and just waiting for Wednesday to roll around.
Thanks. We leave on Wednesday too. I was sad to see that Friday looks like the only cold day of our trip. Oh well. We're from Michigan and a few inches of snow fell yesterday. 46 degrees will probably feel like a Spring Day :). I was still thinking about getting on some of those roller coasters with the wind. My kids will want to get on rides no matter how cold it is. Maybe the weather will keep some folks from buying tickets at the last minute and staying late. I guess we'll see!

We're considering adding a second party on Tuesday the 13th after our first party on the 11th. I'm wondering if it might sell out if we don't go ahead and buy them now. Does anyone have any experience from last year? I know the parties on the 18th and 22nd are already sold out. We'd really use the second day as a chance to get to rides with short lines and sleep in that day instead! :)

We'll be at MVMCP on Dec. 11 & just added Dec. 13th! Really hoping that neither is a sell out! Though expensive, we figured the whole point of our trip is to see Disney at Christmas! Maybe we'll see you there!

Don't forget hats. Personally, I think a warm hat keeps me Warmer than a coat.

Another question. How many times do they do the Elsa/Olaf show? If we view the fireworks from the Plaza, I don't think we'll be able to see the Elsa/Olaf presentation. Or is that completely different from the fireworks show? Lol boy... we go next Tues, I need to get my act together!

Different. Anna and Elsa light up the castle with ice. Once after 6pm with regular guests still in the park. VERY crowded. Wait for the second one (8 or 8:30, check the schedule). Watch from the hub. Main St is too far away. Fireworks aren't until 10pm.

During the party can anyone sit in those two areas? If so what time is a good time to show up for a spot in either one of them. We will be doing the party on 12/16.

Also how have the lines been for the 7 dwarfs and Zootopia characters? What time have they been coming out and what time is a good time to get in line?

I got a spot in the Plaza Gardens with about 10 minutes to spare. With a family I would shoot for 30 min.

Thank you.
That's what I did. Most things are a walk on once the party starts. You can use FP for 3:30, 4:30 and 5:30. All FPs must end by 6:30 or will be canceled. Use those for the traditionally longest line rides. Use the 4-7pm window for FPs or for rides that always have short lines (I did Treehouse, Tiki Room, Country Bears, CoP, and Philharmagic during 4-7pm and FPs were for PP, HM, and JC). The popular rides get shorter after 7pm when regular guests leave. Also some things like TSI and CoP will close once the party starts.

Gloves or glove liners, something to cover ears for outdoor rides, and layers. I keep my feet warm with wool socks and wore a windbreaker over T-shirt/sweatshirt combo. If you are sitting still a fleece blanket would be a good idea for waiting for shows.

I've heard to find a spot an hour before, but I simply can't waste that much time sitting around. I'll see what is available at 30 minutes prior to the parade and see how it goes....
I think an hour is overkill unless you must be front row. I was happy with second row. Lots of choices in Town Square 30 min before the second parade. Could have waited even longer.

During the party can anyone sit in those two areas? If so what time is a good time to show up for a spot in either one of them. We will be doing the party on 12/16.

Yes, anyone can sit in those area (any day, any time, party or not). In my experience it seems some people 'think' it's reserved and don't go in there. I went to the 11/29 party and walked up less than 5 minutes to fireworks and had a good spot. I wouldn't recommend waiting this late, but IMHO there's no reason to camp out too early.

Thank you.

Shhh, this is usually our party plan too (both the Halloween and Christmas parties). Maybe stop at a treat station if we happen to be near one, but otherwise it's non-stop rides, parade, fireworks, then more rides.

We were at the party last night and had a great curbside seat with a 30 min. wait for the second parade. We were at the beginning of main Street by Casey's.We did let some little girls in front of us about 10 min. before the parade started.

So sad that rain is a strong possibility on our Christmas Party night (the 8th). Do they usually still do everything even though it's raining? This will be our first evening at the park for my daughter's 5th birthday!!

Last edited:
DH and I attended the Friday 12/2 party. Here are some notes:
  • We arrived a little after 6. The entrance was packed and they were only allowing people on the right side. There was a bit of a back up when there was an issue with a guest's printed receipt scanning. Cast members had to wait for a supervisor to come over, which took a little bit.
  • It seemed very crowded, but we hoped on the side walk and took the short cut past Merida's M & G to get in line for Pooh's gang. At this time it was a little past 6:30 PM. A group was in the front of the queue and three groups ahead of us were at the entrance into queue. Special group were the last to meet regular Pooh and Tigger. The rest of us were waiting for the foursome in their holiday apparel. We had a mother arguing with security before 7 PM to get in line without having a party ticket. I guess she didn't understand the concept that last M & G for regular hours had ended and she could not do the one at 7 PM with this rest of us. We also were asked for our bracelets when we exited Fantasyland later intro Liberty Square.
  • The Pooh gang was enthusiastic with Tigger playing with his scarf when he had no interaction and poor Piglet had an issue with his scarf falling down. It was a very fun meet and greet and we were out by like 7:10 PM.
  • We headed to Frontierland to eat a QS dinner (Peco Bills). Before this we went to the Haunted Mansion since the wait was so low. DH was thrilled as I noticed two weeks ago the renovation got pushed up to end on 12/1 again. I didn't let him know until our trip the day of to make sure it did indeed come back in order. He was thrilled.
  • After dinner, we bumped into some of the Country Bears and made it in time for the second castle lighting.
  • We went to Tomorrowland again to check on the Cosmic Ray dance party, still the reindeer, never able to meet my beloved polar bears. (Side note, met Coca Cola polar bear before this and was on cloud 9). Got the peppermint bark cookies and hot cocoa.
  • We rode It's a Small World since there was no wait. Then I got in line for Mary Poppins and Bert. I was warned when their cut off time was and how I could wait until their next set. Sure enough, they cut off right before me. I could have waited 15 minutes, but I had plans to see Mickey's Merry Christmas Party and Clarabelle Cow's big number. So NO Jolly Holiday with MP and Bert.
  • We loved Mickey's stage show!! Even the odd texting number, but I love the modern Christmas song, "Text Me Merry Christmas" anyway. Clarabelle Cow stole the show in my eyes and I was constantly watching her for the rest of the show. Loved the rarer characters making appearances, the costumes, the singing and dancing, etc.
  • We made our way to Dumbo during the fireworks. We were unable to see them while flying in the sky, but I did get some shots in the queue. Our dumbo didn't work so we were allowed to go back, but I wanted to see the characters in the area so DH and I got in a fight over spending time doing rides and meeting characters. We made up, lol.
  • We did Under the Sea with a small wait.
  • Headed to the front of the park by the Christmas tree to secure a spot for the second parade. Got there at like 10:45 PM, no issues walking up. We also enjoyed the parade and all the characters.
The crowd level was mixed. Sometimes walking in different lands, it didn't feel so crowded. However, whenever there was a show or parade, you were hit with the number of people actually there attending the event. But once again, having most of our trip paid for by someone else, I was glad we spent the extra money on this event.

So sad that rain is a strong possibility on our Christmas Party night (the 8th). Do they usually still do everything even though it's raining? This will be our first evening at the park for my daughter's 5th birthday!!

The parade might get canceled if it is raining strong. If there is a chance of rain, make sure to see the first parade in case the second is canceled.

Outside characters might not come out...but...

If it is raining and there is no lightning, check back in Storybook circus and all the Storybook special characters might be meeting together for a group picture under the overhang at the train station. If so, you can get a great picture with Scrooge, Donald, Daisy, Santa Goofy and Minnie.

The fireworks will most likely go off so long as no lightning.

If it rains really hard and truly does ruin the experience, a lot of people have success with going to guest services and asking for tickets for another party.

If there is no Once Upon a Time on party nights , is there a strong reason to see the fireworks from the front of the castle? Is there any castle projection at all or just fireworks?

In past, we've watched Celebrate the Magic then the fireworks. Without projection, i think I'm not going to stress about where we are when the fireworks happen. Pretty much just look up or am I missing something?

I know the second parade is a lot less crowded than the first. How is the experience of watching the second parade from Frontierland near the Country Bear Jamboree? Also, what time would you suggest getting a spot here for the 11pm parade?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter