Jack and Jill question

Pooh2

Dis Veteran
Received a facebook invite to a Jack and Jill party later this summer.
It stated that instead of traditional gifts, the bridal party would be making and raffling off gift baskets for which cash or venmo will be accepted.
We are friends of the groom's side and have never encountered this type of party before.
I am old and don't venmo so will bring along cash.
How does this work?
Do they charge a certain amount to raffle for each basket?
Or do you offer what you might have spent on a gift?

Received a facebook invite to a Jack and Jill party later this summer.
It stated that instead of traditional gifts, the bridal party would be making and raffling off gift baskets for which cash or venmo will be accepted.
We are friends of the groom's side and have never encountered this type of party before.
I am old and don't venmo so will bring along cash.
How does this work?
Do they charge a certain amount to raffle for each basket?
Or do you offer what you might have spent on a gift?
Never heard of this before either and I doubt too many people here will have experience with what is probably just a novel idea they came up with on their own as an alternative to just brazenly saying “cash gifts only please”. Be prepared to just go with the flow and yes, if it were me, I’d plan to give the equivalent to whatever amount I would have spent on a gift.

Have a nice time! :goodvibes

A "Jack and Jill" is a shower-type party for the couple (both the bride and groom). Any that I've been too had regular gifts, though. I'm not at all familiar with a gift basket raffle at any kind of party. I would bring cash equal to the amount I would typically spend on the gift. My concern would be if the full amount goes to the couple, or if the bridal party is taking a cut to reimburse what they spent creating the gift baskets.

I’m guessing you will buy tickets and put them on the basket you would like to win. They may have other games that require money to play. Cash bar. 50/50 draw etc. To make money for the couple.

Guessing it like a Stage and Doe that we have here.

I’m guessing you will buy tickets and put them on the basket you would like to win. They may have other games that require money to play. Cash bar. 50/50 draw etc. To make money for the couple.

Guessing it like a Stage and Doe that we have here.
How much do they typically charge for the raffle tickets?

How much do they typically charge for the raffle tickets?
Sometimes they measure by the arm for $20? Or maybe is like some it’s less , usually it’s those double sided tickets they use with numbers. It’s not a crazy amount.
I won a Welcome sign for outside once that a bridesmaid made.

Sometimes the basket items are donated so all the money they get goes to the bride and groom.

This sounds terrible 😂
Depending on where it is at. Op said she was invited by fb. Maybe this is at someone’s house in the backyard . Have been to one of those too. Another was at a pool hall they had baskets.

Most Jack and Jill’s here is a dance , cash bar and you buy a ticket to go. Anyone can go bring your friends . Really it’s to raise money for the bride and groom. Games , baskets etc are extra.

I went to one a few weeks ago for my hairdresser. They had raffle prizes and you could buy tickets and drop them into whichever item(s) you wanted to win. They had a 50/50 raffle. They also had balloons with prizes in them and you bought a balloon and popped it.

We do these kinds of events all the time (not with that name) to raise money for our sports teams and organizations. Baskets are all donated items, mostly from businesses. I don't see how it works for a shower ... who pays for all the prizes? Are they paid for out of the money you came with to spend? Why wouldn't I just give money direct to "Jack & Jill" ... so they get full benefit of my full "donation"?

I don't go to bridal showers anyway, but this type would for sure be a no, especially if a facebook invite. 😒 I just see no point in it. If all the Bride & Groom want is money then just wait and get it at the wedding unless you are inviting people to this that are not invited to the wedding, therefore cushioning the pot.

But I realize things are different in different places so to each their own.

Last edited:
Never heard of this before but it totally sounds like a cash grab.
Why yes, yes it is, but at least they're up-front about it. And in the cases @NAB described, this is a very traditional event the community puts on for a bridal couple and nobody who's invited or who goes is the slightest bit surprised or offended.

**NAB - those are not done here in Alberta; just not our tradition, but when you started explaining it, I understood immediately what was being discussed. :goodvibes

Never heard of this before but it totally sounds like a cash grab.
I spent less on the raffle tickets and the 50/50 than I would have on a gift. It’s not my thing but they already own a house and didn’t need to register so they opted for a Jack and Jill. I think it must be regional because they are fairly common by me.

I've never heard of this before, but when I started reading I made the completely wrong assumption that the raffle money was going to charity! I guess not.

So what if you have no interest in the gift baskets being raffled off?
You don’t buy any tickets. I have done this before. Or if there is one basket I like all the ticket go there…lol

Spend money on other things.

It’s usually put on by the wedding party or even parents of the bride and groom instead of having showers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest