Now is the Best Time! Our 2024 Florida Road Trip (complete)

We live in Manheim Township, but our zip is Lititz. You need to stop in the Bullshead Pub next time you are in town.

My favorite memory of Shady Maple was the time I was staring at the pudding section, mouth agape. Imagine 25 different kinds of puddings and mousses, in addition to the cakes, pies, ice cream and other sweets. A very loud man was literally screaming at the poor young woman behind the case because they were out of the English Toffee pudding. No, he didn’t want the Budder Brickle pudding, or the Butter Pecan Pudding, or the Salted Caramel pudding, or the caramel Graham pudding , or the Snickers pudding . No English Toffee?? Get a manager.

We live in Manheim Township, but our zip is Lititz. You need to stop in the Bullshead Pub next time you are in town.
Oh we saw that place on our walking tour! It looked really good but we weren't sticking around long enough to try it.
My favorite memory of Shady Maple was the time I was staring at the pudding section, mouth agape. Imagine 25 different kinds of puddings and mousses, in addition to the cakes, pies, ice cream and other sweets. A very loud man was literally screaming at the poor young woman behind the case because they were out of the English Toffee pudding. No, he didn’t want the Budder Brickle pudding, or the Butter Pecan Pudding, or the Salted Caramel pudding, or the caramel Graham pudding , or the Snickers pudding . No English Toffee?? Get a manager.
Can't please some people! That's crazy. We're always amazed at the huge variety of desserts. My DH says sometime he'd like to go there and just get dessert.

Some Trip Statistics

Number of Days: 37 days
Total miles traveled: 4723.4 miles
Number of Hotels Visited: 11
Number of VRBO rentals: 3
Restaurants/Snack Stands: 101
Desserts Consumed: 46
Total Steps: 688,253 (equivalent to 270 miles for me)
State Parks Visited: 7
Park Visits: Gatorland-1, Universal Studios-1, Islands of Adventure-1, Magic Kingdom-4, Studios-2, Animal Kingdom-2, EPCOT-4
Disney Springs Visits: 5
Weather: perfect

I love these statistics. What a great idea!!
Can’t wait to hear about next year. Looks like we will be in Disney for Easter this year.

I love these statistics. What a great idea!!
Can’t wait to hear about next year. Looks like we will be in Disney for Easter this year.
We're torn between going 3/9-4/15 and coming home for Easter or going 3/31-5/7. I feel like the second choice is better all around for crowds, pricing, and weather but means we'd miss Easter with our boys and my parents. So, it is looking like we're going with option 1. At least that's the current plan, we'll see!

Lessons Learned

On this trip we learned a few more things about our travel preferences. Most of these I mentioned as we went along, but here’s a summary:
  1. We’re more comfortable staying in hotels (especially those with kitchenettes like Residence Inns) as opposed to rentals from VRBO. While we ended up with three very nice places this time, we were always nervous about what we would find and the Bradenton one started out scary. We spend so little time at the rentals/hotels we really don’t take advantage of the extra space or the pool. With just the two of us, off-site hotels are fine.

2. Both of us having APs really makes for a much more relaxing pace at the Disney parks. It was so nice to enjoy the parks without feeling like we had to cram everything in. It really took the pressure off knowing we could come back another day. I ended up with 22 visits on my AP between last December and this year. My DH ended up with 16 days on his more recent AP and will be using his in December for up to 8 more days. This definitely covered the cost.

3. There is a difference in Florida between a town with the word “beach” attached and just the town name. We learned to stay in the towns with the word “beach” attached…Cocoa Beach, Ormond Beach, Bradenton Beach, etc.

4. When the line is too long at Gideons, the drive to the East End Market location can save time and frustration (and Gideon’s Bites are yummy).

5. Taking a break from Magic Kingdom for lunch at an area resort is a good way to refresh.

6. Foods at Quick service restaurants, especially at the resorts, are not only a good value but very tasty and good quality food. Don’t overlook them.

7. If you plan to visit or camp/stay at any of the Springs, be sure to make sure they are open before you head there.

8. If you’re only going on a Sunday to Universal and want express passes, stay Sunday not Saturday at the Premier Hotels and save lots of $$ (but be prepared for long lines at check in).

9. In April there is usually a high pressure system that makes Florida weather great.

10. There are great opportunities in the Florida State parks to enjoy nature and a good option for non-park days.

11. It’s tough to find a good burger lately.

12. Being retired is fun.

Retirement does sound fun. I CAN’T WAIT!!!
I hope you enjoy retirement as much as we do. I have friends who say they think they will be bored. We are never bored. Our time is spent on home projects, traveling, helping aging parents and other family members, doing things with our kids, getting together with friends, and finding interesting places to go for walks. We are constantly busy and loving life.

Final Rankings:

As we ate each meal, we kept a running spreadsheet of our rankings. We placed them in order from Best to Worst and gave each item/restaurant a letter grade. Here’s what our grading was based on:

A: excellent, would definitely eat again
A-: same as A but just slightly under the A items
B: really good would probably eat again
C: good but no need to rush back
D: not good, definitely won’t go back for a while

We made 6 different lists: Breakfast, Lunch (which included lunch-type meals we ate at dinner such as burgers), Dinner, Sweet Snacks, Savory Snacks, and Drinks.

We didn’t eat breakfast out often so here’s our short breakfast list:

ABomaOrlando
AOld SugarmillDeleon Springs
C1900 Park FareOrlando
CTiny TurtleCocoa Beach
CPongu PonguOrlando
CWoody's LunchboxOrlando
DKona CafeOrlando

We put any donuts we had for breakfast on the sweet snacks list since they really are more of a dessert than a meal.

Up next: lunch ratings

Last edited:
I hope you enjoy retirement as much as we do. I have friends who say they think they will be bored. We are never bored. Our time is spent on home projects, traveling, helping aging parents and other family members, doing things with our kids, getting together with friends, and finding interesting places to go for walks. We are constantly busy and loving life.
I don’t think I’ll be bored either!!

Lunch Rankings
ACaptain CooksOrlando
ASassagoula FloatworksOrlando
ACocoa Beach Fish CampCocoa Beach
AOwens Fish CampSarasota
AD-Luxe BurgerOrlando
APolite PigOrlando
A-ABC CommissaryOrlando
A-Space BowlKennedy Space Center
A-Java JointFlagler beach
A-Tiny TurtleCocoa Beach
A-Gasparilla Island GrillOrlando
BBoathouse Orlando
BPizza PonteOrlando
BCircus McGurkisOrlando
CPapa VitosCocoa beach
CRegal Eagle Orlando
DStation House Tavern Lancaster, PA
DCowfishOrlando
DGas Full ServiceSt Augustine

Dinner Rankings
AOhanaOrlando
AChef Art Smith's Homecomin' Orlando
ASan Angel InnOrlando
AEl Gran CharroStafford, VA
AColumbiaTampa
AIl MulinoOrlando
AShady Maple SmorgasbordEast Earl, PA
ASpeedway ClubCharlotte, NC
AHavana 33Moorestown, NC
AVia NapoliOrlando
BLiberty Tree TavernOrlando
BMama MelroseOrlando
BTambu LoungeOrlando
BDb PicklesOrmond
CClark's InnSantee, SC
DYodersSarasota
DEl AmigoKannapolis, NC

Beverage Rankings

Drinks
AReese's Peanut Butter ShakeHershey PA
APineapple Coconut SlushyGoods Food to Go, OKW, Orlando
ABerry SlushieWarung Outpost, AK, Orlando
APonche FrutasDahlia Lounge, Orlando
AButterbeer, hotHopping Pot, Orlando
AButterbeer, frozenHopping Pot, Orlando
APineapple Coconut SlushyThe Market, HS, Orlando
CZingiber FizzieNomad Lounge, Orlando
CBalinese BreezeNomad Lounge, Orlando
DFrozen Citrus Iced TeaJoffreys, Orlando

Last edited:
Savory Snack Rankings
AChicken n WafflesHoney Bistro, EP, Orlando
AGumboMagnolia Terrace, EP, Orlando
BToasted Pretzel BreadBauernmarket, EP, Orlando
BPot StickersMr Kamals, AK, Orlando
BPepperoni Spring RollSpring Roll Cart, MK, Orlando
BCheeseburger Spring RollSpring Roll Cart, MK, Orlando
BCorn Dog MinisCaseys Corner, MK, Orlando
BSeasoned FriesMr Kamals, AK, Orlando
BBaguetteLes Halles, EP, Orlando
DSticky RibsTrowel & Trellis, EP, Orlando

For our last Disney day we chose to go to our favorite park, Epcot. We rope dropped and headed straight to the Land where DH rode Living with the Land and I headed for Soarin’. I had another weird experience like ToT but not nearly as bad on this ride. As we were waiting to have our seat buckles checked someone started rhythmically clapping and other people joined in. I figured it would stop once the ride started but it didn’t. They clapped through the entire ride. It wasn’t a big distraction though as the music muted the clapping for the most part. I don’t get it but I guess they were enjoying themselves. It is interesting though that with all our trips suddenly twice in the same week we encountered groups of people who acted like they were the only ones on the ride. We’ve never really seen that before thankfully.
I find it so rude when people take over the ride experience. What if that was a guest's only experience on Soarin' and they had it diminished in that way
Since we were in the Germany pavilion, we stopped by Sommerfest for one of our favorite Epcot desserts, the pretzel bread pudding.
I love that bread pudding so much.
This was so good last December that we were excited to have it again. Unfortunately, this time it wasn’t as good. The bread was thinner and a little soggy and the meat wasn’t as tender or flavorful. The mac n cheese was not as cheesy. The sandwich also seemed smaller.
That was the theme for me this summer. I found food quality and portion size were down while prices were sky high!
This was the worst hotel we stayed in the whole trip. It was old, rundown and the A/C was so noisy it sounded like a jet engine going off all night long. Good thing we were only there for one night.
Yuck! We had a similar experience once in Marietta, Georgia. It was just awful!

I have lived in Lancaster for 15 years and have NEVER been to Station House Tavern!
For a pub experience Lancaster Brewing is the best!
Appalachian Brewing is in Lititz, and also great!

I find it so rude when people take over the ride experience. What if that was a guest's only experience on Soarin' and they had it diminished in that way
I agree. I do feel bad for the people on a once in a lifetime trip when others ruin the experience.
I love that bread pudding so much.
It is such a hidden gem!
That was the theme for me this summer. I found food quality and portion size were down while prices were sky high!
Oh that doesn't sound great. Hopefully things improve for our December trips!
Yuck! We had a similar experience once in Marietta, Georgia. It was just awful!
So far Georgia hasn't been great for us. Last year in Savannah wasn't much better. Next time we think we'll drive straight through to South Carolina.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest