NEXUS Renewal

jba2

Mouseketeer
Can anyone please tell me how to renew my Nexus card? I am not sure which site to go to. I've googled it but I don't know which is the proper site as some charge an additional fee.
Thanks

This will be the website for it.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/new-nouvel-eng.html
I was curious about process to renew too so was looking at the site (as we'll have to do so starting later this year - ours expire Oct, Nov and next March). But looks like we just need to apply 3 months or so ahead of expiry (presume that may be impacted by current events but at least a guideline).

Our two cards expire later this month, and in October. Applied for renewal in early March - October renewal was processed within weeks, April renewal is still in process.

Good news is that as long as you've applied for renewal before your expiry date you're automatically extended for another year (used to be 6 months, but they've extended it due to their processing delays)

Thank you so much prairiearah and C&B Young for your responses. Now here's hoping I won't need an interview. My husband renewed two years ago and didn't need an interview.

You don't need an interview when you renew and they just use your old picture. If you have kids they do need to go in to get their picture retaken when you renew it! I'm guessing renewals will take quite a while right now because of things being shut down.

You don't need an interview when you renew and they just use your old picture. If you have kids they do need to go in to get their picture retaken when you renew it! I'm guessing renewals will take quite a while right now because of things being shut down.

You don't usually need an interview, but sometimes you do. I think it is sometimes random and sometimes because of changes. My aunt, uncle, and I all renewed about the same time last year, neither of them were asked to have an interview but I was. I was expecting it as I have moved countries twice since getting my first Nexus (and now live in neither Canada nor the US) and my list of countries visited since my last Nexus include countries that triggered questions by the US agent (though not the Canadian one). But, I've also had friends who needed interviews even though they hadn't traveled to "weird" countries or moved around, so those felt random. I do think that most people do not get called into an interview.

Our two cards expire later this month, and in October. Applied for renewal in early March - October renewal was processed within weeks, April renewal is still in process.

Good news is that as long as you've applied for renewal before your expiry date you're automatically extended for another year (used to be 6 months, but they've extended it due to their processing delays)

Update: We finally got our 2nd renewal approval notice - took almost 11 months from the application until now. Our advice is apply for renewal as early as possible (1 year before expiry) because it could very well take that long!

Perhaps things have changed over the past few months (what hasn’t?), but during the summer I sent in NEXUS renewal applications for my family on a Friday afternoon and received approval confirmations for all of us on Monday morning - so not even a full business day to process them.

I applied for my renewal late August 2020 and am still waiting for approval.

In the meantime I have renewed my US passport [dual citizen] which was very quick through the US Embassy, but can't change the info on my NEXUS profile because all the NEXUS enrollment centres are closed until at least Feb 8 [date keeps getting extended].

Fortunately no travel is planned, but I am hoping the NEXUS comes through sometime soon just for peace of mind.

Last edited:
I applied for my renewal late August 2021 and am still waiting for approval.

In the meantime I have renewed my US passport [dual citizen] which was very quick through the US Embassy, but can't change the info on my NEXUS profile because all the NEXUS enrollment centres are closed until at least Feb 8 [date keeps getting extended].

Fortunately no travel is planned, but I am hoping the NEXUS comes through sometime soon just for peace of mind.

Sorry to hear it’s taking so long - I must have hit the sweet spot, although I was incorrect in the timing I referred to above - I sent in our three renewals late Thursday afternoon (June 18) and received approval confirmation on Monday, June 22. Hopefully your renewal comes through soon.

Sorry to hear it’s taking so long - I must have hit the sweet spot, although I was incorrect in the timing I referred to above - I sent in our three renewals late Thursday afternoon (June 18) and received approval confirmation on Monday, June 22. Hopefully your renewal comes through soon.

Oh I don't doubt you. On a different travel forum there is a long thread about NEXUS renewals and people now seem to fall into one of two buckets, either you get the renewal approval very quickly [days] or it takes a very long time [many months]. Some get picked for an interview.

Congrats on falling into the 'days' bucket !!

Quick question. When my wife and I applied for our nexus, we used a sign in name and a password for each account. Now when I go to renew, it asks for my email (I used the same email address for my wife’s registration) but it only will let me sign in to my account. Now I can’t sign in to renew my wife’s Nexus. What step am I missing?

Quick question. When my wife and I applied for our nexus, we used a sign in name and a password for each account. Now when I go to renew, it asks for my email (I used the same email address for my wife’s registration) but it only will let me sign in to my account. Now I can’t sign in to renew my wife’s Nexus. What step am I missing?
You will need to create an account for your wife with her email. Only one account per email. Had to do this for my kids because I used to use my email for theirs and can’t anymore.

Are you sure you used the same email address for your wife ? When I applied for myself and my 2 girls we each needed our own emails and accounts. They were only 3 and 5 at the time and didn’t even have emails so that was a pain!

Are you sure you used the same email address for your wife ? When I applied for myself and my 2 girls we each needed our own emails and accounts. They were only 3 and 5 at the time and didn’t even have emails so that was a pain!
We only had one email address at that time. Thanks

Edited......
apparently my better half FORGOT That she did update her profile a year ago :). She added her own email address onto her file. Thanks to all who helped. You’re the BEST!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter