News Round Up 2020

for those unaware, Nintendo direct events are pre-recorded video streams where Nintendo typically announces a slate of upcoming games, or does a more deep dive look into a game or game update. For this, I’d expect an overview of the land, opening date, ride previews, merch look, and details on the wristbands. It’s posted from Nintendo of America’s Twitter, so I expect we’ll also get at least a tidbit on the global plan. For Nintendo directs on Japan-only games, they wouldn’t do an English / NoA one.

for those unaware, Nintendo direct events are pre-recorded video streams where Nintendo typically announces a slate of upcoming games, or does a more deep dive look into a game or game update. For this, I’d expect an overview of the land, opening date, ride previews, merch look, and details on the wristbands. It’s posted from Nintendo of America’s Twitter, so I expect we’ll also get at least a tidbit on the global plan. For Nintendo directs on Japan-only games, they wouldn’t do an English / NoA one.
We have an opening date. Feb. 4th, 2021

This is a relief - it shows they're not worried about the parks getting too full to hop...but also means they're probably opening up occupancy past 35%.
I don’t think they’re increasing capacity. I think they know that after 1/1, the demand from the holidays is going to drop off drastically. They really shouldn’t have a capacity issue until closer to Easter. January is normally a very slow month, except for Marathon weekend. But since the marathon isn’t happening, the parks and resorts will be pretty empty.

I don’t think they’re increasing capacity. I think they know that after 1/1, the demand from the holidays is going to drop off drastically. They really shouldn’t have a capacity issue until closer to Easter. January is normally a very slow month, except for Marathon weekend. But since the marathon isn’t happening, the parks and resorts will be pretty empty.

Park hopping also isnt going to increase demand it will just move it around.

I'm still betting on Mardi Gras being busy. All of the parades and festivities were canceled in NOLA and kids are still out of school the entire week.

Through July 5th?? That's longer than usual, right?
Yeah, usually runs through End of May/beginning of June. But these Tase of festivals have all had different dates than normal. To me, the end date just screams that there won‘t be any special activities for 4th of July and they’ll keep this festival running to at least have that going on.

Yeah, usually runs through End of May/beginning of June. But these Tase of festivals have all had different dates than normal. To me, the end date just screams that there won‘t be any special activities for 4th of July and they’ll keep this festival running to at least have that going on.

We don't know that. We don't know anything.

Dates were announced, it's happening, it's a good thing. Let's just be positive about something, anything! :D

We don't know that. We don't know anything.

Dates were announced, it's happening, it's a good thing. Let's just be positive about something, anything! :D
Oh I know we don’t know for sure. And this is great news. It’s just interesting that they chose that date to end it, especially as it’s more than a month later than it normally ends. Disney never does anything by accident. I’m very excited. Flower and Garden is my 2nd favorite festival after the Arts Festival, and the Frushi at Japan is the absolute best food offering at any festival IMHO.

Disney: here’s 100 different things coming to Disney+ in the next 3 years

HBOMax: We underestimated how many people want streaming content, so we only made 5 things coming in the next 2 years. But you can also get Tom and Jerry

Last edited:
This is a relief - it shows they're not worried about the parks getting too full to hop...but also means they're probably opening up occupancy past 35%.
Ya .. I don't think the will increase capacity .. I don't think they will be reaching that 35% max capacity in January through early March anyway. You simply have people that won't hop -- and you have people that just leave the parks "early" making plenty of room for hoppers that want to be there from open to close.

I mean ..even if a park was at capacity -- at 2:00 PM .. you will have some people leaving that park to hop (because it is crowded), thus making room for people who want to hop there for the late afternoon.

It shouldn't make things more crowded .. just let the crowds shift around.

Though .. for those concerned about safety -- it simply makes things less safe .. because you are now potentially coming into contact with MORE people in a given day even though capacity is still capped.

Through July 5th?? That's longer than usual, right?
Welll .they finally did it .. they essentially have a constant "festival" at Epcot with the only break being July and part of August. I figured they would just make a special summer festival, but just extending an existing one will work.

Prepare for Food and Wine to start like August 1st. :)

So many people are up in arms around the interweb about festivals lasting all year long at Epcot.

It's not like the festivals shut down rides or experiences. They only add experiences (used to anyways before Covid).

You don't have to partake in anything to do with festival if you don't want to.

Crowds? Eh. Crowds will come on weekends to drink no matter what.

Epcot is only about eating/shopping/drinking? That ship sailed long ago. (and I don't believe that to be true anyways)

I'm excited. I love food booths, more to eat, more ways to eat, more interesting things to eat, more cocktails/wines/beer. Music acts, classes on flowers or food (when they come back), beautiful decor, fun merchandise...
What's not to love? :D

Last edited:
So many people are up in arms around the interweb about festivals lasting all year long at Epcot.

It's not like the festivals shut down rides or experiences. They only add experiences (used to anyways before Covid).

Epcot is only about eating/shopping/drinking? That ship sailed long ago. (and I don't believe that to be true anyways)

I'm excited. I love food booths, more to eat, more ways to eat, more interesting things to eat, more cocktails/wines/beer. Music acts, classes on flowers or food (when they come back), beautiful decor, fun merchandise...

I never understood this either. It’s not replacing anything other than the festival before it. All year festivals give casual guests something to elongate their day at the park. These festivals are not for everyone, but like you said, they’re not closing anything to bring them to you. It’s Disney, there will be crowds no matter what in this day and age (or at least before March 2020). If they took the festivals away, you’re still getting a crowded Epcot on saturdays and sundays, especially when Cosmic Rewind opens.

I think part of it is Epcot should be more than festivals. Epcot has relied on festivals to bring in people for the last 10 or so years. The park should be able to live on its own. It’s nice to have special events but these festivals are change some colors and repeat one after another.

I think part of it is Epcot should be more than festivals. Epcot has relied on festivals to bring in people for the last 10 or so years. The park should be able to live on its own. It’s nice to have special events but these festivals are change some colors and repeat one after another.

Well maybe it can be both. New rides opening will bring more people in. And hopefully the rest of the things they have planned turn out to be great additions to park. I'm still looking forward to the Moana water-feature (or did that get cut?)

And having the festivals keep people like me happy.

And then we are all happy. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter