• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware that TSM is closed or would be at all.

They haven't said dates, but have indicated that it will need to be closed for a bit to move the queue from one side of the building to the other. In theory, because of the three tracks, this could be pretty short, but they could move one and then the other - in which case it wouldn't be closed, but capacity would be reduced. I am betting the closure will be pretty short - but could be a few weeks.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/01/toy-story...are-toy-story-land-opening-hollywood-studios/

Chattering like this one just have me guessing. With the SW event on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend closing the park at 6 pm, that does not help either.
AHHH - Got it, weirdly enough when I was there in December, with a FP the line to get into FP was all the way down to the construction wall - it was NUTS - and the way they lead the line inside was not the "normal" way I had gone in other times - even loading on the track was different -

This makes me wonder if they will play it first during the Superbowl...airing it for the first time while many people are at work vs when many people will be watching seems odd...unless like people here have been saying - it’s not great so they don’t want to spend for a Superbowl spot!

The Superbowl slot will likely be a 15sec teaser for the actual trailer the next day.

I am a bit upset about the theater being cancelled - partly because I think it would be great to have but also because it was different than a lot of the other projects which are all largely rides, and many of them on the more thrilling side. I think Disney is the best when it has things that appeal to the broadest set of people and I think a lot of people that the theater would appeal to are less drawn to things like Tron and the Guardian's coaster

I agree with this because it I was glad MK was getting something that was not only different, but changeable. They would have had the option to update and replace shows when necessary, so it isn’t just something that gets built and then totally ignored for 40 years.

I think what bothers me most about the cancellation is that considering how long most things get rumored about, when Disney makes an official announcement (especially at something like D23) it seems like the project is completely guaranteed. Obviously they are a business and can change their minds on something if they want/need to, but when they go back on an announcement it casts a shadow of doubt over all their other announcements.

Also keep in mind that it is very early, and it's a rumor, based upon some folks noticing equipment and materials being moved out.

Something is going on, but nothing too concrete has been revealed, leading to a lot of speculation, based upon rumor.

Guardians thematically doesn’t work in world showcase. Sure they have bands there but at this point does Disney even care about theme anymore? Festival bands are one thing but a guardians dance party? I’m sure there is some story for it like Peter Quill loved the American Advebture pavilion or something but this is getting old.

Can we also talk about the hidden news of the name of the new bird show at AK? That name is bad....

Guardians thematically doesn’t work in world showcase. Sure they have bands there but at this point does Disney even care about theme anymore? Festival bands are one thing but a guardians dance party? I’m sure there is some story for it like Peter Quill loved the American Advebture pavilion or something but this is getting old.

Can we also talk about the hidden news of the name of the new bird show at AK? That name is bad....

The only reason I will take a "wait and see" attitude with the Guardians thing is that it is being focused on the music from the movie - so that sort of fits with the pavilions (at least the Americas and UK) for being sort of stereotypical music from there - it's a stretch I get it, but I just put on 4 pairs of Disney colored glasses :D

The name for the bird show is like they didn't even try / it's the same show with a forced IP overlay

News

Tron construction to begin soon

http://blogmickey.com/2018/02/const...dom-begin-next-week-completion-date-revealed/

They say completion date revealed but permit expiration dates don’t correlate to opening dates. Pandora has permits with expiration in 2018.

I hate click-bait like that - even in the article they say that the date doesn't mean that is the opening date or anything just that the construction needs to be complete prior to that date

At least it is good that date is August of 2021 so if anything should be open in earlier part of 2021 and not right at the 50th anniversary

I hate click-bait like that - even in the article they say that the date doesn't mean that is the opening date or anything just that the construction needs to be complete prior to that date

At least it is good that date is August of 2021 so if anything should be open in earlier part of 2021 and not right at the 50th anniversary
Yep gotta get the page visits.

The only reason I will take a "wait and see" attitude with the Guardians thing is that it is being focused on the music from the movie - so that sort of fits with the pavilions (at least the Americas and UK) for being sort of stereotypical music from there - it's a stretch I get it, but I just put on 4 pairs of Disney colored glasses :D

The name for the bird show is like they didn't even try / it's the same show with a forced IP overlay
I mean I get it and still love Disney but this stretch to make things work is getting old and tired. Disney was once about making things thematically appropriate and having a comprehensive story.

Here is the Guardians dance party in a pavilion about the birth of America and American history. Yeah okay....

Yeah, the whole "Peter Quill came to Disney World as a kid." is pretty stupid, though I do have to say my favorite moment from watching the Mission Breakout ride is when the tower opens up to the outside and Rocket says - "Hey, is that Disneyland?" This is a pretty major stretch. In general Guardians is a pretty horrible fit to Epcot, but I am guessing it's being shoved down the Imagineers throat.

The bird show name isn't great - but how does that matter? Is the show any good. I suspect it will be fairly light like the original. Hopefully it will still be as charming.

Yeah, the whole "Peter Quill came to Disney World as a kid." is pretty stupid, though I do have to say my favorite moment from watching the Mission Breakout ride is when the tower opens up to the outside and Rocket says - "Hey, is that Disneyland?" This is a pretty major stretch. In general Guardians is a pretty horrible fit to Epcot, but I am guessing it's being shoved down the Imagineers throat.

If they can pull off a really compelling angel to the whole Peter Quill went to EPCOT thing - with references to how EPCOT was back when he would have visited - I think it could be cool .... but I am doubtful and most likely just a cheap way to tie it in

The bird show name isn't great - but how does that matter? Is the show any good. I suspect it will be fairly light like the original. Hopefully it will still be as charming.
I have no doubt it’s being shoved on the imagineers but at the same time it would be at least better in Future World than World Showcase.

I was just pointing it out. It’s not very good. The show is supposed to be pretty similar with the addition of UP. So you could have done Flights of Wonder featuring UP or something like Explorers take flight.

A report about a teaser for a trailer for a movie.

What a time to be alive.

Hopefully the movie will be good, but so far, it's got a lot stacked against it.

If you want to get cynical, realize that the Superbowl is likely to be a giant exercise in advertising the Olympics broadcast starting 5 days later. I expect at least 200 mentions of the Olympics during the night.

Using the Superbowl to show a 30 second spot for a trailer coming out the next day isn't uncommon, though - so won't trash on Disney/Lucasfilm for doing this.

If they can pull off a really compelling angel to the whole Peter Quill went to EPCOT thing - with references to how EPCOT was back when he would have visited - I think it could be cool .... but I am doubtful and most likely just a cheap way to tie it in

OK - if he shows up at the beginning of the Guardians ride in a rainbow '80s Epcot Center shirt and says "Where's Horizons? Where's World of Motion? Where's Dreamfinder? I don't even recognize this place!" I would totally forgive the poor fit to the concept.

OK - if he shows up at the beginning of the Guardians ride in a rainbow '80s Epcot Center shirt and says "Where's Horizons? Where's World of Motion? Where's Dreamfinder? I don't even recognize this place!" I would totally forgive the poor fit to the concept.

bingo - though in my mind it is Rocket making sarcastic comments and being bitter about not being able to meet the Dreamfinder :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter