New pre-purchase lighting lane July 24th?

I sent 1, received the standard copy and paste email. I replied back asking if I could make a formal complaint. Same CM replied saying but you can prebook ~once you’re in US. I replied again ~ all very nice emails explaining I know they have no control over this, but the hierarchy need to address this and again that I would like to make a formal complaint. Different CM replied saying TPTB would be made aware. Replied yet again just asking if I could make a formal complaint. That was a week ago, no response.
I give up.
If there is a valid reason then that’s fine but at least tell us!.
I do feel sorry for CMs.

I would be tempted to keep on replying and throwing their words back at them by stating that it's not "pre-arrival planning" if it's happening post-arrival! However from my experience I know that this probably wouldn't make any difference.

I had a dispute with DCL once and ended up with a similar Kafkaesque chain of e-mails where they would send me a boilerplate reply that bore no resemblance to the complaint I'd lodged, so I would complain again, including stating that their copy and paste e-mail was not a satisfactory answer, only to receive virtually the same text in reply. In fact on one reply the CM stated that they were not copying and pasting the same answer, only for them to do exactly that about two paragraphs later!

In the end I got a better reply by posting a letter to them (marked for the attention of customer complaints). Yes, I had to wait two weeks for their reply letter to reach me, but at least it got through to someone who actually was able to give me a non-generic answer. Unfortunately they still never really got to the bottom of the problem in my opinion, but at least I felt like my complaint went somewhere and was seen by someone who might have been able to do something with it in future for other guests.

I suspect that this is a relatively new thing. I spoke to my bank about paying for a new DVC contract who told me that buying something from overseas that does not have a physical property, ie a contract or a lightning lane is no longer allowed under international money laundering laws.

I tried to point out that DVC was not like other timeshares but to no avail.
This is nonsense.

I did a test with the current system using surfshark geo location. Worked for about a 1 minute and then kicked me out..didn't work again so I'm not sure that using a geo location will work.

I did a test with the current system using surfshark geo location. Worked for about a 1 minute and then kicked me out..didn't work again so I'm not sure that using a geo location will work.
Where you using a VPN too? On your phone or computer?

Never bought Genie+, won’t buy this either
The freedom you feel not having to plan your day around rides is liberating
You can always get on the star attractions via Virtual Q for free if you want or for others use early entry

My Children just want to do a couple of park things mixed in with pool time and then a nice family meal

I understand others want to have more park time just offering another POV that is a lot less stressful

For the Disney app, you'll need both a VPN (like Surfshark) and location (GPS) spoofing. VPN alone will only change the location of your IP address, but it seems the Disney app also checks your GPS location, which a VPN won't change.

It's reasonably straightforward to do on Android with the appropriate app, but if you have an iPhone the only way you do it is by plugging it into a computer. Google is your friend in either case.

Last edited:
Try telling the Halifax that. I argued back and forth for almost a month and eventually had to transfer funds from my bank to my US bank and then pay from there
It’s an excuse used for something they don’t want to or know how to do.

Surfshark has a geo locator spoof function on a developer settings Android. It changed all my locations worked for about 5 minutes and then cut off and stopped working.

It is the only vpn that does this and I did check and confirm locations in Google maps.

So I don't know what to tell you..try an alternative but this did not work.

Surfshark has a geo locator spoof function on a developer settings Android. It changed all my locations worked for about 5 minutes and then cut off and stopped working.

It is the only vpn that does this and I did check and confirm locations in Google maps.

So I don't know what to tell you..try an alternative but this did not work.
Did you have a valid park admission?
I got as far as the purchase Genie screen but backed out as it knows if you have a valid admission ticket for that day

Did you have a valid park admission?
I got as far as the purchase Genie screen but backed out as it knows if you have a valid admission ticket for that day
Nope but I got that far on the first attempt and then backed out. It got me to the 4 parks and cost screen.

Then it threw me out. Saying you must be in usa or Canada. So they might be using an additional blocking system. Didn't get to that screen after that point...only usa / Canada screen.

I could access the LLMP system on my iPhone12 by turning Location Services off (Settings/Privacy and Security), but I didn't have a park ticket or stay booked so I wasn't allowed to continue. I saw that MK was $29 for tomorrow.

(Funny aside. I just mistyped NK instead of MK. I probably wasn't far wrong!)

I have sent a couple of e-mails to WDW. Copying them below just in case anybody wants to do something similar. So far, only meaningless copy-paste responses as you would expect. Seriously doubt it can help but thought I should still try...

E-mail 1

Dear Vada,

Thanks a lot for your message but unfortunately it does not address my concern at all. I believe that international visitors are being treated in extremely unfair and not a Disney-like manner. I visited WDW ten times before today and have always used Disney as an example of a company that treats its clients with utmost respect, so I was shocked to find out details of the new system.

If the past experience with fast passes is anything to go by, anybody visiting from abroad (and traveling straight to Orlando as the most people do) will have no chance to book the best rides at least for the first week (may be even 10 days) of stay. So, overseas visitors are charged the same amount for the Lightning Lane access but will not be able to access the same rides as US visitors. It is completely misleading to call it pre-arriving planning as the most people will be able to start planning only on the same day they arrive at WDW.

This is unacceptable and unfair. And at the very least any overseas visitors must be informed that they are not getting the same service as the US visitors and are unlikely to be able to book the best rides while paying the same price. I am a seasoned WDW traveller, so I could immediately figure out how the new system works but people who travel to WDW for the first time will only find out that they are not able to book the best rides (and must use standby line) only upon arrival and after paying the money.

As I said before Disney is probably the last company I would expect to treat its loyal customers this way. But if this is how it choses to treat the overseas visitors at least such visitors must be fully informed and full disclosure must be provided. At the moment not only overseas visitors are treated unfairly but the extent of such treatment is deliberately hidden from them. This is simply not acceptable.

I would like to ask you to raise this complaint with the appropriate department at WDW and hope the issue can be addressed properly

Best Regards,

E-mail 2

Dear Landry,

Thanks for your message but this does not address my concern. Moreover once again you keep on using misleading and false message that overseas visitors will be able to make pre-arrival planning. Unless you refer to 30 minutes we will spend on a bus on our way to Disney hotel, we will have no chance whatsoever to do any pre-arrival planning as we planned to go straight to WDW upon our arrival to the US.

Also, there is no explanation why Disney believe it is acceptable to charge overseas visitors the same amount of money for significantly reduced level of service (and it is significantly reduced if overseas visitors can only book Lightning Lanes on the date of arrival rather than 7 days before arrival).

These must be addressed properly as such unfair treatment of some guests is unacceptable and might be illegal,

I hope to get a proper response and we were really looking forward to our 11th visit to WDW but as of now it feels like cancelling our booking is the best option.

Best Regards,

I have sent a couple of e-mails to WDW. Copying them below just in case anybody wants to do something similar. So far, only meaningless copy-paste responses as you would expect. Seriously doubt it can help but thought I should still try...

E-mail 1

Dear Vada,

Thanks a lot for your message but unfortunately it does not address my concern at all. I believe that international visitors are being treated in extremely unfair and not a Disney-like manner. I visited WDW ten times before today and have always used Disney as an example of a company that treats its clients with utmost respect, so I was shocked to find out details of the new system.

If the past experience with fast passes is anything to go by, anybody visiting from abroad (and traveling straight to Orlando as the most people do) will have no chance to book the best rides at least for the first week (may be even 10 days) of stay. So, overseas visitors are charged the same amount for the Lightning Lane access but will not be able to access the same rides as US visitors. It is completely misleading to call it pre-arriving planning as the most people will be able to start planning only on the same day they arrive at WDW.

This is unacceptable and unfair. And at the very least any overseas visitors must be informed that they are not getting the same service as the US visitors and are unlikely to be able to book the best rides while paying the same price. I am a seasoned WDW traveller, so I could immediately figure out how the new system works but people who travel to WDW for the first time will only find out that they are not able to book the best rides (and must use standby line) only upon arrival and after paying the money.

As I said before Disney is probably the last company I would expect to treat its loyal customers this way. But if this is how it choses to treat the overseas visitors at least such visitors must be fully informed and full disclosure must be provided. At the moment not only overseas visitors are treated unfairly but the extent of such treatment is deliberately hidden from them. This is simply not acceptable.

I would like to ask you to raise this complaint with the appropriate department at WDW and hope the issue can be addressed properly

Best Regards,

E-mail 2

Dear Landry,

Thanks for your message but this does not address my concern. Moreover once again you keep on using misleading and false message that overseas visitors will be able to make pre-arrival planning. Unless you refer to 30 minutes we will spend on a bus on our way to Disney hotel, we will have no chance whatsoever to do any pre-arrival planning as we planned to go straight to WDW upon our arrival to the US.

Also, there is no explanation why Disney believe it is acceptable to charge overseas visitors the same amount of money for significantly reduced level of service (and it is significantly reduced if overseas visitors can only book Lightning Lanes on the date of arrival rather than 7 days before arrival).

These must be addressed properly as such unfair treatment of some guests is unacceptable and might be illegal,

I hope to get a proper response and we were really looking forward to our 11th visit to WDW but as of now it feels like cancelling our booking is the best option.

Best Regards,
I think you are spot on with this. There should, as a minimum, be a disclaimer for international buyers of LL making it very clear before purchase (or even before buying WDW tickets) that the ability to pre book rides will be limited to supply of available LLs on the day of arrival and that you may need to rely on the standby queues.

If you are a U.K. DVC Owner you can call DVC membership, they will buy Genie + in advance for you even if you are still in the U.K. I just spoke to them today.
Has anyone else managed to do this sucessfully? Flying out in just over two weeks time and we're straight into the parks. Have just invested in a VPN, that didn't work. Turned off location services and the phone rejected me again because it couldn't determine where I was. It's really shoddy - am working on the basis that there will be no availability for decent rides in the morning, if indeed at any point during the day. And we're only there for 5 days.

Would a solution be to call a mate in the US, have them download the disney app & log in as me, then do it from there?

Or has anyone tried downloading the app to a MacBook and tinkering?

Last edited:
Has anyone else managed to do this sucessfully? Flying out in just over two weeks time and we're straight into the parks. Have just invested in a VPN, that didn't work. Turned off location services and the phone rejected me again because it couldn't determine where I was. It's really shoddy - am working on the basis that there will be no availability for decent rides in the morning, if indeed at any point during the day. And we're only there for 5 days.

Would a solution be to call a mate in the US, have them download the disney app & log in as me, then do it from there?

Or has anyone tried downloading the app to a MacBook and tinkering?
Yes we have it working on an android phone with a gps spoofer. No vpn necessary. I have seen lots of reports of it working on iPhone if you change your country of residence in the MDE app and also turn off location services.

Yes we have it working on an android phone with a gps spoofer. No vpn necessary. I have seen lots of reports of it working on iPhone if you change your country of residence in the MDE app and also turn off location services.
That’s excellent. Thanks 😎

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest