Marathon Weekend 2024

So mine would be that I really like the “dead” sections of road like Osceola or Floridian Way or even Bear Lake. I definitely need some moments of peace and quiet to just run, breathe and listen to the footfall and breathing of other runners.
Saaaaame. I could run Bear Lake over and over and over and be a really happy person!

My dirty rD race secret? I like overpasses. And even cloverleafs. And yes, I am one of the crazies running them in the grass lol!

So mine would be that I really like the “dead” sections of road like Osceola or Floridian Way or even Bear Lake. I definitely need some moments of peace and quiet to just run, breathe and listen to the footfall and breathing of other runners.
Agee 100%! I love running because it lets my brain shut off and the highway miles are a nice break from the noise.

I do recall there being some last year. If I remember, it was very underwhelming. My friend had me get him some and remember thinking I was going to grab some, but then after seeing it, decided to save the money. I think rD could learn from some of the sellers on Etsy.
There's a new batch of generic rD merch that was available at Wine and Dine and will probably be available for the rest of this season. It's blue, with some tye dye elements. Not my favorite but at least it's a little less busy than the weekend-specific stuff.

Just a couple of pics to give you an idea of the color scheme.

1703357674627.png

1703357726299.png

Saaaaame. I could run Bear Lake over and over and over and be a really happy person!

My dirty rD race secret? I like overpasses. And even cloverleafs. And yes, I am one of the crazies running them in the grass lol!
Oh my god, running up the grass median of the overpass heading towards the turn into Epcot is heaven—my feet need that break from all the hard surfaces at the end of the race

Listening to a podcast this morning on my run where they were talking about the courses for the weekend and the food stops. It got me thinking, does everyone have a "dirty little secret" about something at the races that either everyone seems to love but you hate or vice versa? Here's my confession: I can't stand the chocolate stop in HS during the marathon. At that point in the race I am usually so hot/tired that I feel like the chocolate just gets stuck in my mouth and will not go away, but everyone seems to rave about that stop. Curious what some others might be.

I can't understand the alcoholic beverages, either crossing the finish line with them or parking lot beers. I always feel like I want to heave at the end of a race. I can't imagine drinking! But I'm not really a drinker in general so...

I don’t mind some of the highway stretches because of the ability to zone out (in?), but I really wish they were all shaded 😩

I like some busy merch but am not into the “I did it” theme or the large mileage numbers- would rather it just say marathon than list the distance for some reason. And I have a totally irrational hatred for the new runDisney color scheme/logo so I hope it doesn’t make an appearance yet 😂 ETA: I have found I prefer a lot of the designs (and $) on Etsy though- if you aren’t attached to the official label I recommend looking there.

I think my unpopular opinion is that I liked WWoS! 2019 was my first race so the whole thing was a blur, and while I have zero memories of the rough empty stretches I have really fun ones from running around the fields/stadium.

Listening to a podcast this morning on my run where they were talking about the courses for the weekend and the food stops. It got me thinking, does everyone have a "dirty little secret" about something at the races that either everyone seems to love but you hate or vice versa? Here's my confession: I can't stand the chocolate stop in HS during the marathon. At that point in the race I am usually so hot/tired that I feel like the chocolate just gets stuck in my mouth and will not go away, but everyone seems to rave about that stop. Curious what some others might be.
I’m not eating that F’n chocolate either. Just get me to the finish for an ice cold beer

Chocolate near the end of the race in blistering heat 🤢

I liked WWOS the one time I got to run through it. At least there were shady paths and real bathrooms unlike the blizzard beach parking lot. I feel like the theme song on the way to Blizzard Beach should be Highway to Hell.

I’m team banana so I enjoy those two stops.

Sports beans are gross. I love jelly beans, but those have a funky texture and after taste.

Im in team chocolate even though I’m not much of a chocoholic. It just always seems to be what I’m craving at that point.

I also like the quiet highway stretches - I think I really came to that realization during W&D This year - especially since it was freshly paved.

Also I love WWoS. I know it’s not a popular opinion but I find the track and the stadium a nice change of pace. I will take WWoS any day over a loop of the BB parking lot. I have nothing good to say about that section.

Is Team Not So Fast going to meet up at marathon weekend this year?
We usually have an informal meetup of Dis’ers each morning before the races. General, it’s around the light pole that is near the med tent/bag-check area. The Expert said she would make signs, and we usually post about costumes in the costume thread (super helpful if you haven’t met anyone in-person before) and there are usually several posts in this thread the morning-of of people saying they are AT the meetup location, or people who are seeking clarification about the location.

There’s also the Hurricane Hanna’s (the pool bar at Beach Club) meetup on Friday afternoon (2pm-?)

Chocolate near the end of the race in blistering heat 🤢

I liked WWOS the one time I got to run through it. At least there were shady paths and real bathrooms unlike the blizzard beach parking lot. I feel like the theme song on the way to Blizzard Beach should be Highway to Hell.

I’m team banana so I enjoy those two stops.

Sports beans are gross. I love jelly beans, but those have a funky texture and after taste.
At one of the spring race weekends this year (can’t remember if it was Princess or Springtime) my playlist shuffled to Highway to Hell just as I was hitting that path from HS to Boardwalk and it was just hilarious to my sleep-deprived brain

Agree wit this. I wish they would come out with some general rD merch where the year or race name is not all over everything. I feel like when it is branded with a year, it only has so much life in it before I start to think it needs to be donated or retired because it is dated. I also wish the merch wasn't so loud. Give me some plain, quiet designs.

Way back in 2005 they had generic RunDisney tech shirts. I have a black short sleeved one with a small RunDisney in the upper check and a white long sleeved one with the same. It was back when RunDisney was just a small niche brand and not the juggernaut it is now.

The graphics on those shirts still look brand new even going on twenty years while my 2018 W&D shirts are fading.

1703380602084.png

Did anyone do the inaugural W&D half? It was by far my favorite Disney race ever with being able to finish at the park and then hang out until the middle of the night (think it was 1:00am that first year). Anyway, right after we finished we were shuffled through that World Showplace to get our bags and since it was F&W it stunk of the cooking they did all day. I have never been so close to puking after a race and not because of the humidity or my effort but that smell.

Last edited:
Me too! I’d like a simple embroidered MW with year, small design of characters running…crewneck or even a zip up athletic jacket…nothing on the back!!

😑 <——that’s how I feel about their “supply chain issue” excuse.

Hard agree!! I’ve never taken it because I feel like at that point it would basically be like PB getting stuck in your mouth. But who knows maybe that’s the point. You forget what you’re doing for a moment because you’re so focused on not choking. 😂
I feel like they’re going to still be blaming supply chain issues ten years from now.

It got me thinking, does everyone have a "dirty little secret" about something at the races that either everyone seems to love but you hate or vice versa? Here's my confession: I can't stand the chocolate stop in HS during the marathon. At that point in the race I am usually so hot/tired that I feel like the chocolate just gets stuck in my mouth and will not go away, but everyone seems to rave about that stop.

I agree with this 1000%. Admittedly, I was having a bit of meltdown at that point (I was literally on the phone with my best friend crying "I can't do this any more."), but eating that chocolate was like old chewing gum. I handed my friend the rest of the chocolate at the end of the race and told her in no uncertain terms that I did NOT want them. And it was Dove chocolate which is normally a favorite of mine.

My other "dirty secret" is that I love the highway miles to and from the Magic Kingdom during the MW and Princess half marathons. After the congestion of the shorter race courses and then cone alley coming out of the MK, that wide open, multi-lane highway is a dream come true. It's also a course that I've done quite a few times so I know that course the best. Everyone complains that the course is boring, but for me, it's comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter