I totally get what you are saying. I love disney stuff for all the reasons lots of people out in the real world hate it. I like nostalgia and kitschy and silly and "not real." So sometimes the "lamest" attractions (according to some) are my absolute fave.
People Mover, Tiki Room, Mexico boat ride, Navi River...all E-tickets for me :)

I love the Tiki Room.

I'm the obnoxious person singing along.

I stayed at AoA this year for Princess weekend and I don't recall sharing with Pop at any point. Maybe it's different that weekend.

Belated SAFD: Nothing. There are plenty of things at Disney that I don't enjoy (PeopleMover, I'm looking at you), but I wouldn't call them overrated, just not to my taste. Just because I don't enjoy something, doesn't make it overrated.

Dammit Sarah. I love this. You are so right. And I am just one less person crowding up AK for all of you. You are very welcome. :)
Related to that, there is an app called Untappd where people can log beers they drink and one of my pet peeves is people that log into a beer style they don't like and give it one a "cap" rating because "I don't like sours." Well that doesn't make it BAD. You don't need to bring down their whole score because you are drinking a beer you don't even like. Dummies.

I've been doing the secret squirrel technique of going on the disney website and saying I want to stay from 12/31 through the Monday after marathon (and getting crazy expensive trips thrown at me of course) but then looking at the rate details per day. No idea if those will be the correct new 2019 prices for those dates but I'm just doing that anyways. Even though I have no idea if A) I'm going B) for how long C) for what races or D) with whom.

If I do go, I need someone to go to afternoon tea with me at the GF on Saturday.

Just got a quote from a TA for Pop and am now thinking of going with it. So the eternal question I keep posting, what are people's experience with Pop for races? Do they share a bus with AofA?
I stayed there for the Dark Side 2017 race weekend. It was the best bus experience that I have had in all of the race weekends. Whether it was for the expo, morning races or theme parks, I never waited more than about two minutes for a bus. Evening return to resort from theme parks at closing will be a very different story! But on a race weekend we weren’t closing the parks.

It was also very convenient to walk over to art of animation for a meal. Their pasta station was great for the night before races. (Of course I would buy wine at the art of animation store to accompany the pasta....which may have made those meals all that much better).

I don’t recall sharing a bus with art of animation for the race related stuff.

I really think you can’t go wrong with pop. I’m not sure if all their rooms have been renovated yet but they are putting in coffee makers and the rooms will have a regular bed and a Murphy bed. I haven’t stayed since they renovated. I actually packed a coffee pot when we stayed there!!!

I've been doing the secret squirrel technique of going on the disney website and saying I want to stay from 12/31 through the Monday after marathon (and getting crazy expensive trips thrown at me of course) but then looking at the rate details per day. No idea if those will be the correct new 2019 prices for those dates but I'm just doing that anyways. Even though I have no idea if A) I'm going B) for how long C) for what races or D) with whom.

If I do go, I need someone to go to afternoon tea with me at the GF on Saturday.
Um.... Dopey.... Um... yeah....

I don't think that would be the best way to go about it. You are better off going on Mousesavers and checking historical rates.

Just got a quote from a TA for Pop and am now thinking of going with it. So the eternal question I keep posting, what are people's experience with Pop for races? Do they share a bus with AofA?

FWIW, I stayed at Pop for the 2017 marathon. My recollections:
- Bus to the expo took an extremely long time. I don’t think we went to AofA.
- Getting out of the expo was horrible, but that didn’t have anything to do with Pop.
- I don’t recall sharing a bus with AoA the morning of the marathon. It was fast and efficient, as I recall.

All in all, I loved staying at Pop marathon weekend. When we were deciding on accommodations for marathon weekend 2019 - our first trip as a family of 5 - it was a tossup between two rooms at Pop or one at POR. POR narrowly won out, but I’d recommend Pop to anyone for race weekend (or any other time).

I’ll go with you! I love Afternoon Tea.
This Sunday, I’ll be taking an hour and a half ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria, British Columbia to have tea at the Fairmont Empress. So excited!!

!!! Okay !!! By the time 180 day ADR's come about I should know what the heck I'm doing with myself come January :)

Also, that sounds lovely. I had an afternoon tea on Saturday but it was at my cousins house for the royal wedding and we mostly just drank prosecco and ate small cupcakes. So not quite exactly the same.

My first and only runDisney experience was at Princess weekend this past February, but I did stay at Pop so I have a little bit to add!

This was my first stay at Pop, or any value for that matter. I stayed in one of the renovated rooms and although the room is small compared to moderates and deluxe resorts, I personally thought it was great for the weekend!

This was my first trip to ESPN, and I was amazed by how close it was to Pop for the expo! It was a very quick bus ride! On the way back from the expo we stopped at AoA first before going back to Pop. The morning of the 5K I walked right on to the bus which took us straight to the event. The morning of the 10K I noticed the buses were lined up all the way down the row waiting to load and take the runners to the event. I don't remember if this happened the first morning, but I know we went straight to Epcot both mornings. I can't remember if we stopped at AoA on the way back, but if we did it must have also been quick because it doesn't stand out in my memory.

I don't have any other resorts to compare it to for races, but I was very pleased and would stay there again for another race!

Thanks guys! It sounds like it would be a good choice. Not as fancy as BC or POFQ like I was hoping but trying to save some money and the TA deal is great. Might be able to swing an AP with the savings! Then I have an excuse for another trip or two next year!
Plus an AP will get you all the race photos!

I'll agree with you on that! Grand Floridian Cafe has good bacon in their sandwich but most other bacon sucks.
Now that you mention it, Grand Floridian Cafe did have something better. But since it was a one-time experience I consider a fluke! Maybe I'll have to confirm it marathon weekend...

I've stayed at Pop 2-3 times during marathon weekend and enjoyed it each time. They do not share a bus on race mornings. In addition, the renovated rooms are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter