Marathon Weekend 2018

Good morning and happy Labor Day, runDisney all-stars!

I have a question for some of my fellow marathon runners about a mild training predicament I got myself into. I miscalculated my training schedule for a marathon on Oct. 1 and now I'm left with one less week for running. I'm not super concerned, but I'm not quite sure how to best address the issue so that I'm properly trained, but also fully rested.

Here's what my schedule calls for just in terms of my long Sunday runs (there are shorter runs during the week):
Sept. 10 - 18 miles
Sept. 17 - 20 miles
Sept. 24 - 9 miles
Oct. 1 - 8 miles
Oct. 8 - 26.2

So, obviously I'm not running the marathon a week after the actual race and I need to trim a week in there. Do I: A.) Cut out a long distance run and maintain my tapering schedule or B.) Keep the distance runs and do one less week of tapering?

I did 16 miles two days ago and it mostly went OK. Hit the wall pretty hard at mile 14, but finished at a decent enough (for me) pace. I have also been dealing with a foot injury on and off the past month or so and I don't want to overdo anything.

Thanks in advance. Have a great day, everyone!

I have a question for some of my fellow marathon runners about a mild training predicament I got myself into. I miscalculated my training schedule for a marathon on Oct. 1 and now I'm left with one less week for running. I'm not super concerned, but I'm not quite sure how to best address the issue so that I'm properly trained, but also fully rested.

Here's what my schedule calls for just in terms of my long Sunday runs (there are shorter runs during the week):
Sept. 10 - 18 miles
Sept. 17 - 20 miles
Sept. 24 - 9 miles
Oct. 1 - 8 miles
Oct. 8 - 26.2

So, obviously I'm not running the marathon a week after the actual race and I need to trim a week in there. Do I: A.) Cut out a long distance run and maintain my tapering schedule or B.) Keep the distance runs and do one less week of tapering?

I did 16 miles two days ago and it mostly went OK. Hit the wall pretty hard at mile 14, but finished at a decent enough (for me) pace. I have also been dealing with a foot injury on and off the past month or so and I don't want to overdo anything.

How much of a taper do you normally need? If you do well with a two-week taper, I'd run 16, 20, 10, race. If you need a three-week taper, I'd run 20, 14, 8, race.

How much of a taper do you normally need? If you do well with a two-week taper, I'd run 16, 20, 10, race. If you need a three-week taper, I'd run 20, 14, 8, race.

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I've only run one prior marathon and I used the schedule described above. Thanks for the feedback, those both look like good options.

Good morning and happy Labor Day, runDisney all-stars!

Sept. 10 - 18 miles
Sept. 17 - 20 miles
Sept. 24 - 9 miles
Oct. 1 - 8 miles
Oct. 8 - 26.2

Thanks in advance. Have a great day, everyone!

I'd be concerned about the fade on the last long run. How much did the pace slow down from the intended goal pace for the run? I usually equate a fade in pace to a run being more than I could handle on that day and pushing too hard.

As for the upcoming schedule-

CFMP = current fitness marathon pace which is a pace based on a recent race performance and race equivalency calculation. It is not necessarily a goal marathon pace based on a set time goal.

9/10 - 150 minutes at CFMP + 8%
9/17 - 90 minutes at CMFP + 8%
9/24 - 75 minutes at CMFP + 12%
10/1 - Race

CFMP + 8% means that you ran that day at 8% slower than current fitness marathon pace.

I'd be concerned about the fade on the last long run. How much did the pace slow down from the intended goal pace for the run? I usually equate a fade in pace to a run being more than I could handle on that day and pushing too hard.

As for the upcoming schedule-

CFMP = current fitness marathon pace which is a pace based on a recent race performance and race equivalency calculation. It is not necessarily a goal marathon pace based on a set time goal.

9/10 - 150 minutes at CFMP + 8%
9/17 - 90 minutes at CMFP + 8%
9/24 - 75 minutes at CMFP + 12%
10/1 - Race

CFMP + 8% means that you ran that day at 8% slower than current fitness marathon pace.

I had about a 20% fade off of my goal time over the last mile or so. The entire run was maybe at 90% intensity since I was more concerned with my foot holding up than my time.

I had about a 20% fade off of my goal time over the last mile or so. The entire run was maybe at 90% intensity since I was more concerned with my foot holding up than my time.

Is that a 20% fade from the intended long run pace or from the current fitness marathon pace? Either way that would be quite the fade. I would caution the next couple weeks of training and make sure you're giving yourself enough rest and doing a lot of easy running.

Is that a 20% fade from the intended long run pace or from the current fitness marathon pace? Either way that would be quite the fade. I would caution the next couple weeks of training and make sure you're giving yourself enough rest and doing a lot of easy running.

I should've been more clear - the entire run itself was pretty much right on pace. It was only my mile time over the last mile or so that was a little slow.

I'm not intending to push it too hard the next couple of weeks. I run these races for fun, fitness and for the sense of satisfaction I get from finishing.

I was able to get my Dopey POT this weekend!!

But the race was one of the worst organized races I have ever ran. There were no mile markers, they ran out of cups at the water stops and were pouring water into runner's mouths. Then it took three days to post results (they promised live tracking). There was so much more wrong with this race but I am trying to keep this post short. They are also deleting any posts on Facebook that say anything bad about the race and it makes me wonder if they have done that before. If anyone is thinking of running a race from The Great Chocolate Race Series or any race from Crucible Racing please think twice!

But the race was one of the worst organized races I have ever ran. There were no mile markers, they ran out of cups at the water stops and were pouring water into runner's mouths. Then it took three days to post results (they promised live tracking). There was so much more wrong with this race but I am trying to keep this post short. They are also deleting any posts on Facebook that say anything bad about the race and it makes me wonder if they have done that before. If anyone is thinking of running a race from The Great Chocolate Race Series or any race from Crucible Racing please think twice!
Sorry it was such a flop but glad you got your POT. So glad you posted this. I was actually considering one of this series' 10 milers in Virginia next year. Ten milers are fairly rare and the concept sounds great. However it is all in the execution.

I should've been more clear - the entire run itself was pretty much right on pace. It was only my mile time over the last mile or so that was a little slow.

I'm not intending to push it too hard the next couple of weeks. I run these races for fun, fitness and for the sense of satisfaction I get from finishing.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 3 week tapers. I've felt better with 2 week tapers, so my thought is this. If you've never tried a 2 week before, and this race isn't critical for something like a POT or BQ, maybe give it a shot? I'd stick with something like @FFigawi suggested of 16, 20, 10, race.

Glad you got your POT! I was also on a quest for one on Saturday. Sounds like my experience went a bit better.

Your review reminds me of the Ugly Sweater race I ran a few years ago. They didn't have any water left at the finish, only hot cocoa. At least there was something, but not quite the same.

Finally got signed up for the Lakefront Marathon this morning. Let's do this thing. @DopeyBadger, mini-DIS meet-up?

Exciting! Nice that the price never changes based on proximity to the race. We can exchange information when the time gets closer. It's pretty easy to find people at the start of the race. @pixarmom will be there as well last I heard.

P.S. Registration offered me the option to sign up as a "Clydesdale," i.e. over 220 pounds. I'm not quite there, but found the whole thing funny. Anyone else seen that before?

In a few races I've done I've seen that. Just another way to award people based on performance and another criteria (fastest, age, weight, gender, etc.). One of the local races hands out awards to the person who finishes in the 50% (average joe/jane). I've never participated in the clydesdale or athena, but I do believe they make you weigh in prior to the event. Not 100% positive on that though.

That's lousy!!! Did they at least have chocolate?!

Exciting! Nice that the price never changes based on proximity to the race. We can exchange information when the time gets closer. It's pretty easy to find people at the start of the race. @pixarmom will be there as well last I heard.

Still here and still running Lakefront! We were on vacation in August and then crazy with the start of school for the kids, but I stopped by to check on discounts for Marathon Weekend and saw your post! Lakefront will be a easy pace training run for me. I was running very frequently over the summer, only every other day on vacation and now twice a day for my own training runs and with youngest son's cross country. But the distances aren't anywhere near long enough to make this a time goal marathon. It will be more like an interesting experiment. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter