Major DVC Change - Resale Market Only original 14 resort access

I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on buying Copper Cteek points direct from Disney and then buying some Wilderness Lodge via resale to have the points we needes for the rooms we wanted. We were already flexible on when we go and wanted bigger for shorter stays. Glad I procrastinated, I had my wife sold they would pay for themselves and then we could sell once the kids got grown or keep if the grandkids came along. Glad I didn't. This will kill resales. I know where they did it. To keep the new reaorts from becoming a points rwnting business for those tbat have thousanda of points. I would have done the same if I had the coin back during the great recession. I just wanted enough points to visit and rent out to cover the fees.
I doubt that it will kill resales on the original 14.....Riviera is a different story.

I doubt that it will kill resales on the original 14.....Riviera is a different story.
The problem is if this is the direction DVC is going (IE becoming like any other timeshare) there is less confidence that the OG 14 will continue to retain value over the long haul.

Agreed. I kinda feel like a BWV resale (walk to GE) for example (that can also be used at BCV/POLY/BLT/AKV/GFV/CCR etc) will look even better (even with a 2042 end) if Riviera is like $200 new and comes with a bad resale stipulation.

Now if Riviera resales tank to like $50, then that could effect the BWV example price negatively, but if they never pass ROFR then they won't affect it.

I generally get your point, but that isn't actually the case, its quite possible, even as things currently are, to attempt to book in the 7 - 11month home window and not be able to book anything you want, just ask people at the GF and Poly ...

I have never had an issue booking at the 11 month mark at VGF. I’m not looking for studios during the first 2 weeks in December. I booked 5 or 6 nights in a standard studio at BWV during a race weekend for Fall 2019. It can be done but takes a little work.

The problem is if this is the direction DVC is going (IE becoming like any other timeshare) there is less confidence that the OG 14 will continue to retain value over the long haul.

Exactly!

I think rumors of the death of DVC resales are greatly exaggerated.

But yes, I imagine many people wont realize this, heck many people don't even know there is a resale market, or a rental market.

I feel *so* badly for people who have no clue about these options. And, I wonder how many are older people or foreigners. I met an older woman on a cruise in October who is a DVC owner. She and her companion explained that she had all these points that were about to expire and she didn’t know what to do, so she called MS and they helped her use them by booking the cruise. Time did not allow me to talk with her more (the evening show was starting), but I wanted so badly to spend some time and share with her how she can make her points *really* work for her, especially if she wasn’t going to go to the parks very often. They had already been on one cruise that year and had plans for one or two more, so it wasn’t like this cruise was even “special” for them.

Unless no one will want to rent points at DRR, the value won’t drop that much. In today’s market, commercial-type renters won’t pass up buying $100 DRR points that make a profit only booking DRR.

I am just hoping and praying that DVC doesn’t fiddle with the rental market next. At this point in time, nothing that once was seems safe.

Agreed. I kinda feel like a BWV resale (walk to GE) for example (that can also be used at BCV/POLY/BLT/AKV/GFV/CCR etc) will look even better (even with a 2042 end) if Riviera is like $200 new and comes with a bad resale stipulation.

Now if Riviera resales tank to like $50, then that could effect the BWV example price negatively, but if they never pass ROFR then they won't affect it.

I didn't see where the conditions on Riviera resale were spelled out just resale on the original 14. Does it state anywhere that Riviera resales are only good at Riviera??

I didn't see where the conditions on Riviera resale were spelled out just resale on the original 14. Does it state anywhere that Riviera resales are only good at Riviera??

Every member that has asked their guide has had their guide confirm this. I doubt they’re all lying in unison.

You mean the guides that are trying to sell direct??

In writing it only says there will be a limitation on resale of the original 14.

I know they lie, but I think this is true. Now, is Riviera going to be for life or have some other material difference from the DVC contracts as we know them to entice sales? Probably. I won’t even venture a guess as to what the difference is going to be.

Jack Sparrow IMHO I agree with your thoughts on the upcoming Riviera limitation. While it is possible Disney is going put some type of limitation on a Riviera resale I also believe it is just as likely that DVC agents are trying to push consumers into a quick direct DVC purchase. Not to be outdone the DVC resale agents are now trying to push the consumer to hurry and buy a resale before January 19th. Either way we are not going to know with 100% certainty until Disney issues their official announcement.

That's been the discussion, but honestly just assumed it was correct.

If not, what were the major changes to DVC?

If that's the case, the only change I can see is going forward, is with new DVC Resorts (call it DVC2), can't be reserved by DVC1 that are resales.

Really no different than simply not adding any more DVC Resorts, or simply starting a DVC2 that is separate (except direct DVC1 can still trade into DVC2).

While it is possible Disney is going put some type of limitation on a Riviera resale I also believe it is just as likely that DVC agents are trying to push consumers into a quick direct DVC purchase. Not to be outdone the DVC resale agents are now trying to push the consumer to hurry and buy a resale before January 19th. Either way we are not going to know with 100% certainty until Disney issues their official announcement.

How so? I mean how any different than the last 20 years?

Contractually, if Disney makes a regulation with the legacy resorts(original 14) regarding using points into the newer resorts they will have to make a similar restriction in the newer resorts. So, it could be that resale at Riviera could only be used at newer resorts or that resale at Riviera could only use Riviera. Even if Disney doesn't call it DVC2, Riviera and the newer resorts will be classified differently on the contracts in order to enforce the regulations. IMO Disney's goal is to slowly erode the benefits of resale purchases. It will take them 20-40 years to do it, but going forward DVC will cease to be the good deal it has been for so many years. In the short term it will have little to no effect on the legacy resale purchases, but the newer resorts will become like so many other timeshares.

For example, Marriott platinum week in Aruba purchased for approx $40k can resale today for roughly $14k-$16k. I purchased SSR in 2006 for around $90/point and sold it in 2018 for $103/point. Riviera will model closer to Marriott.

I’ve seen a couple of people speculate that Riviera will sell for $200 pp, but I’m thinking higher! How can they sell (reportedly) BCV @ $225 and sell Riviera for less? And, IF Riviera is less, then I think resale at the Legacy/DVC1 resorts will hold their value.

I’ve seen a couple of people speculate that Riviera will sell for $200 pp, but I’m thinking higher! How can they sell (reportedly) BCV @ $225 and sell Riviera for less? And, IF Riviera is less, then I think resale at the Legacy/DVC1 resorts will hold their value.

Because they want to drive sales. VGF, BLT, VGC, and Poly are are selling for more than CCV if you buy direct. “Why would you ask about those older resorts with less years on them when we can sell you a new resort for less?” That’s the thinking and has been for a while. Then they raise the sold out resorts’ direct prices a lot where buyers express the most interest to make them less “interesting”.

Last edited:
Because they want to drive sales. VGF, BLT, VGC, and Poly are are selling for more than CCV if you buy direct. “Why would you ask about those older resorts with less years on them when we can sell you a new resort for less?” That’s the thinking and has been for a while. Then they raise the sold out resorts’ direct prices a lot where buyers express the most interest to make them less “interesting”.

True, but at the same time won’t DVC be stuck with lots of points?

True, but at the same time won’t DVC be stuck with lots of points?

They seem to be pretty good about only having points on hand to fill their wait lists. I don't think they have a ton of inventory just sitting around for the sold out resorts. They keep that "sold out" inventory slim so they can push the new resorts. "We don't have any VGC points at this time, but have you thought about Riviera?"

For example, Marriott platinum week in Aruba purchased for approx $40k can resale today for roughly $14k-$16k. I purchased SSR in 2006 for around $90/point and sold it in 2018 for $103/point. Riviera will model closer to Marriott.

So if Riviera is say $200, you think Riviera resales with be around $70? Still seems like a good deal even with the restriction to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter