Major Airlines and Basic Economy

Just to answer the question posed earlier about how the airlines "know" whether you are allowed a carry on, I recently flew on an airline that no longer offers "free" carry ons (small personal item only) in economy. If you paid for a carry on, there was a notation on your boarding pass "carry on approved" (or similar). Now, whether the cabin crew or ground crew "checked" that, I do not know. I did see the notation on my boarding pass (I had paid for an upgrade which included a "free" carry on. I hate the nickel and dime fees on airlines. I do warn people that the "low" fares you see advertised are not such a good deal once you add in all the "extras" that are included in other airlines base fees, depending on your needs. Now, if you need no checked bags, don't mind sitting anywhere, etc, then sure, go for it. But, I am very long legged, and sitting in a 30-31 pitch seat for more than an hour just isn't going to cut it for me. An aisle sit is somewhat doable as I can stretch a bit. But a middle or window? No way. It's painful and won't be happening in this lifetime ever again. LOL. And, Spirit airlines isn't even on my radar as a possible option. I tried pricing out their "low" fares a couple of times, but once I added in my bag (sorry, can't survive on "just" a small back pack), etc, their "low" fares were HIGHER than what was charged by the big guys. I don't understand that model at all. LOL.

But, it wasn't "free". It was included in the cost of the ticket. Now airlines are separating out all the stuff that used to be included, and charging for it. THAT'S what everyone is complaining about.

You used to buy a ticket, and they would give you a seat that you picked out (one you could actually be comfortable in), often a snack or meal, and hot cloths to clean up with. Plus free luggage transport (1 bag).

Now, you get a seat that you can't move your arms in without hitting the person on either side, no leg room inviting blood clots for those of us older people, and MAYBE, a glass of water (nasty fuel-flavored water). For the same price. And luggage is extra.

I get the airlines want to increase profits, but why not just do add-ons to the (formerly) basic "perks" - better seats, wine with your meal, priority boarding/deplaning, personal steward, larger carry-on allowance?
Well, I did put free in quotes, because nothing is truly free.

PP pointed out that when you compare past air fare to today's currency, flying today is cheaper. But you still want the same amenities for less money?

As far as the added "perks", many airlines do that. You can pay an increased for for "Premium Economy", which on Delta even comes with Alcohol, but even regular economy seats can pay for wine/alcohol. I think some airlines allow you to pay to board earlier too.

I heard they were going to provide metal seats only and the padding we're used to will now rent for $50 a flight.

In the early 80's I flew on LOT Polish Airlines. It was a Soviet built plane and the seats were hard plastic with the thinnest possible cushion. Sort of like one of those stackable plastic lawn chairs. As far as I know, the cushions were included in the price.

Photo1.jpg
442-ccc_4.jpg

I can kind of see those fares for some trips... Like when work sends me for a one day overnight (arrive the day before sleep over start at meeting at 7:30 and fly home after its over) type meeting those fares could work. The flight is only an hour so being squished isn't too bad, and I dond't really need much in luggage.

However for longer trips SW is nice. I love the free two checked bags on most vacations we will even check our small carry on size back on the way home and only take our backpacks on the plane just so we don't have to deal with them at the airport (on the way there we carry them for having a few sets of clothes in case luggage is lost, but when we are going home we have more clothes at home anyway)

Well, I did put free in quotes, because nothing is truly free.

PP pointed out that when you compare past air fare to today's currency, flying today is cheaper. But you still want the same amenities for less money?

As far as the added "perks", many airlines do that. You can pay an increased for for "Premium Economy", which on Delta even comes with Alcohol, but even regular economy seats can pay for wine/alcohol. I think some airlines allow you to pay to board earlier too.
Actually, yes, when what we’re describing as “amenities” are seat selection and use of the overhead bins - things that don’t change the cost of providing the service at all. They’ve become revenue generators because people will pay if they have to, but I guess they’d also pay for a glass of water or to use the washroom if it came down to it.

Actually, yes, when what we’re describing as “amenities” are seat selection and use of the overhead bins - things that don’t change the cost of providing the service at all. They’ve become revenue generators because people will pay if they have to, but I guess they’d also pay for a glass of water or to use the washroom if it came down to it.
It's a perception thing. Let's look at it this way (making up numbers)
Base airfare: $100
Seat Selection: $25
Overhead Bin: $10
Checked bag: $25
Total: $160

vs.
Base airfare: $160

You were always paying for seat selection and use of the overhead space and checked bags. It's just it was wrapped up in the total cost. So, here's an original idea... when pricing airfare, include all the items that are important to you and look at THAT total as what your cost is. If you're willing to give up some amenities, you can save some money.

Or, if you don't like the way an airline is charging for their services, don't use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter