Major Airlines and Basic Economy

Delta's domestic Basic Economy includes a standard carry-on sized (22"x14"x9") piece as well as a personal item.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/basic-economy.html

The one thing they warn is that as the last passengers on board, the overhead bins may not be available and in that case they will ask the passenger to gate check. We flew Basic Economy last December on Delta and we took the opportunity to gate check so we didn't have to deal with our baggage. We already had a large piece of baggage and were charged the standard $25, so it wasn't a problem going to the baggage carousels to pick them up.
LOVE gate check - we jump at the chance when it arises. I loathe lugging carry-ons; we would gladly check everything except my purse if it was more affordable to do so. Anybody but me remember the days when an economy ticket include 2 pieces of checked baggage?

Delta basic economy must be new because we flew with them last summer and I got to select seats with the regular economy ticket. What’s the price difference in the tickets anyway?

Does anyone know what happened with the law that says airlines can’t charge people extra to sit with their kids?

Delta basic economy must be new because we flew with them last summer and I got to select seats with the regular economy ticket. What’s the price difference in the tickets anyway?

They started rolling it out last summer, but not on all flights. It's not as restrictive as the way United or American do it.

LOVE gate check - we jump at the chance when it arises. I loathe lugging carry-ons; we would gladly check everything except my purse if it was more affordable to do so. Anybody but me remember the days when an economy ticket include 2 pieces of checked baggage?

Last time they started taking volunteers about 30 minutes before boarding and I got in line immediately.

It's $50 difference.

I book cabin and I just went to look at the price differences of basic economy to cabin...shows as $50

Does anyone know what happened with the law that says airlines can’t charge people extra to sit with their kids?

I haven't heard anything more about it since it was supposed to go into effect last summer.

It depends on the route and time of day, etc. I've seen differences from about $10 to $60 between basic and regular economy, not necessarily on Delta.

The thing is, people want all the stuff that used to be "free", but don't want to pay higher prices. So airlines (hello Sprint) started displaying a base rate, that all it got you was A seat, not a certain one, no luggage, carryon beneath the seat in front of you, no meals, etc. You want the other? Pay up.

:eek: Are the oxygen masks that drop down from the ceiling during an emergency still free? Or will the OP & DH need to bring a roll of quarters with them, and like a coin operated dryer at a laundromat, they will have to pay for every 20 minutes of oxygen they use? :p

Husband and I are know longer fond of flying. And second off we refuse to pay for all the nickel and diming. How you spend with the company's speaks volumes to them.

I haven't heard anything more about it since it was supposed to go into effect last summer.

It depends on the route and time of day, etc. I've seen differences from about $10 to $60 between basic and regular economy, not necessarily on Delta.
Does "regular" include seat selection and a free checked bag? If so, $10 bucks would be a steal. I just checked the prices on my Westjet flights to Houston in September and the difference between what they're considering "economy" and "premium economy" is over $200/pp each way.

:eek: Are the oxygen masks that drop down from the ceiling during an emergency still free? Or will the OP & DH need to bring a roll of quarters with them, and like a coin operated dryer at a laundromat, they will have to pay for every 20 minutes of oxygen they use? :p
I'm not sure what your point is. It's a fact people want cheap airfares. So airlines gave them an option... you want to save money? What are you willing to do without? Don't use checked luggage. Let us assign your seats. Print your own BPs.

I'm not sure what your point is. It's a fact people want cheap airfares. So airlines gave them an option... you want to save money? What are you willing to do without? Don't use checked luggage. Let us assign your seats. Print your own BPs.
It think it's actually a good point. The issue over time has actually evolved to be not "what are you willing to do without", but "what are you willing to pay for that used to be included". And really, it's all about maximizing revenue, not cost-savings for the airlines. :rolleyes: How on earth do they save on the cost of service by assigning seats or not allowing the use of overhead bins?

It think it's actually a good point. The issue over time has actually evolved to be not "what are you willing to do without", but "what are you willing to pay for that used to be included". And really, it's all about maximizing revenue, not cost-savings for the airlines. :rolleyes: How on earth do they save on the cost of service by assigning seats or not allowing the use of overhead bins?
Let's ignore the fact that I never said it was about the airlines saving money. Keep in mind none of these money grabs has anything to do with passenger safety (which charging for oxygen would probably fall under). It's no different than Disney now charging for resort parking. Those that don't use the feature (whether it be parking, checked bags, assigned seats, etc) save a little bit of money over those that require the feature.

Airlines could simply raise costs for everyone flying and include checked bags, assigned seats, etc. But then people would complain the rates are too high. Airlines are doing this so they can say "look how low our rates are", then you have to look at the fine print on what's not included.

Well, yes and no, because the cost of flying has dramatically decreased. 1980, the average US domestic round-trip (adjusted) cost was just over $600 and included assigned seats, overhead bin use, etc. In 2012 it was just over $350. (source)

Your argument would be more valid if the cost of flying had remained the same and they started charging for amenities. But, the public demanded lower airfares, and the airlines complied by lowering base cost and eliminating free checked luggage, seat assignments, and overhead bin use. If you want those amenities, you'll have to pay for them, but even then, the average cost is still less than it was 30+ years ago.

Does "regular" include seat selection and a free checked bag? If so, $10 bucks would be a steal. I just checked the prices on my Westjet flights to Houston in September and the difference between what they're considering "economy" and "premium economy" is over $200/pp each way.

In general, regular economy on the Big 3 US airlines (American, Delta, United) includes free seat selection (from perhaps 35% of all available seats, mostly toward the back) but no free checked bag. On Southwest you get 2 free checked bags but no seat selection. Not sure about the smaller airlines like JetBlue, Alaska, etc. The "Ultra Low Cost Carriers" (Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant) provide NO free amenities.

There are various exceptions if you have high status in a frequent flyers program, pay with an airline-branded credit card, etc.

I quoted the price differences I've seen between basic economy and regular economy on the US Big 3. The difference between regular economy and Premium Economy is often much more, like you saw for Westjet.

This thread has me concerned; I’ve recently purchased plane tickets for two separate trips and I don’t remember seeing any references to a new pricing category. My tickets are on Air Canada and Westjet, although I think the Westjet ones may be a code-share flight actually on Delta. Both those airlines have 3 classes that I know of: Economy, Premium Economy and Business (neither has First on the aircrafts we’re flying).

We always fly economy and pay for seat selection and checked baggage. Even doing so (at approximately $50/pp each way) it’s still less expensive than premium economy. We’ve also taken a number of flights without paying for seat selection and have never had the experience many report of being separated in random middle seats.

ETA: Question for anybody that’s flown on one of these Basic Economy fares - How do they police who is or isn’t putting something in the overhead bin? :confused:
It's hard to police. We fly
This thread has me concerned; I’ve recently purchased plane tickets for two separate trips and I don’t remember seeing any references to a new pricing category. My tickets are on Air Canada and Westjet, although I think the Westjet ones may be a code-share flight actually on Delta. Both those airlines have 3 classes that I know of: Economy, Premium Economy and Business (neither has First on the aircrafts we’re flying).

We always fly economy and pay for seat selection and checked baggage. Even doing so (at approximately $50/pp each way) it’s still less expensive than premium economy. We’ve also taken a number of flights without paying for seat selection and have never had the experience many report of being separated in random middle seats.

ETA: Question for anybody that’s flown on one of these Basic Economy fares - How do they police who is or isn’t putting something in the overhead bin? :confused:
its hard to police totally. But after the people who need assistance and that sort of thing the next to board are the people with no carry on. Only a parsonal bag or nothing.

OP here. Seat assignments worked out ok for us. On the 1 hour leg we took whatever seats the airline assigned us. DH got lucky and was given an extra legroom window seat. I got stuck several rows back in a no leg room window seat but before the plane took off, the flight attendant came and got me. The extra legroom aisle seat next to DH was open, so I got moved there. For the 5 hour leg we didn’t want to chance it, so we paid $34 for an aisle seat for DH and $10 for the seat next to him for me. On our return flights we decided to roll the dice, get the assigned seats and then change/pay for seats if we didn’t like what we got. To our surprise we were seated together in the same row on both legs. DH got an aisle and I got the window seat. We were happy with that. So this time all worked out well with basic economy.

I heard they were going to provide metal seats only and the padding we're used to will now rent for $50 a flight.

The thing is, people want all the stuff that used to be "free", but don't want to pay higher prices. So airlines (hello Sprint) started displaying a base rate, that all it got you was A seat, not a certain one, no luggage, carryon beneath the seat in front of you, no meals, etc. You want the other? Pay up.
But, it wasn't "free". It was included in the cost of the ticket. Now airlines are separating out all the stuff that used to be included, and charging for it. THAT'S what everyone is complaining about.

You used to buy a ticket, and they would give you a seat that you picked out (one you could actually be comfortable in), often a snack or meal, and hot cloths to clean up with. Plus free luggage transport (1 bag).

Now, you get a seat that you can't move your arms in without hitting the person on either side, no leg room inviting blood clots for those of us older people, and MAYBE, a glass of water (nasty fuel-flavored water). For the same price. And luggage is extra.

I get the airlines want to increase profits, but why not just do add-ons to the (formerly) basic "perks" - better seats, wine with your meal, priority boarding/deplaning, personal steward, larger carry-on allowance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter