• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Major Airlines and Basic Economy

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
I don't fly that often, just once a year or so. I recently had to buy plane tickets to my brother's wedding. I stalked Kayak for the best flight deals for the dates & times I wanted and finally bought tickets when the price dropped to something i was comfortable spending. I get through the purchase pages and low and behold, I am never allowed to choose seats. I couldn't figure out why until I got an email the next day. I had purchased Basic Economy tickets.

I didn't realize all the ticket classes had recently changed! With Basic Economy you don't have access to the overhead bins, can only bring 1 item (like a purse OR a backpack, not both), and you can't choose your seats. The airline chooses the seat for you (hello middle seat). I was a little panic stricken about how my 6'5" DH with bad hips would do sitting cramped up in a middle seat for a 5+ hour flight. Then I found out I could actually pay for seat selection 24 hours before check in. So I forked over $34 to get him an aisle seat on the longest leg of the flight. I'll have to pay again on our return flights. Add that to the $25 per bag fee and Basic Economy is not very economical! The airlines have found a way to upcharge for all the stuff that used to be included in the ticket price. Sound familiar?

Last edited:
I don't fly that often, just once a year or so. I recently had to but plane tickets to my brother's wedding. I stalked Kayak for the best flight deals for the dates & times I wanted and finally bought tickets when the price dropped to something i was comfortable spending. I get through the purchase pages and low and behold, I am never allowed to choose seats. I couldn't figure out why until I got an email the next day. I had purchased Basic Economy tickets.

I didn't realize all the ticket classes had recently changed! With Basic Economy you don't have access to the overhead bins, can only bring 1 item (like a purse OR a backpack, not both), and you can't choose your seats. The airline chooses the seat for you (hello middle seat). I was a little panic stricken about how my 6'5" DH with bad hips would do sitting cramped up in a middle seat for a 5+ hour flight. Then I found out I could actually pay for seat selection 24 hours before check in. So I forked over $34 to get him an aisle seat on the longest leg of the flight. I'll have to pay again on our return flights. Add that to the $25 per bag fee and Basic Economy is not very economical! The airlines have found a way to upcharge for all the stuff that used to be included in the ticket price. Sound familiar?

It's my understanding that when using the airlines' own websites you CANNOT choose basic economy unless you check a box that you've read and agree with all the restrictions.

Sounds more like a Kayak trick.

I don't fly that often, just once a year or so. I recently had to but plane tickets to my brother's wedding. I stalked Kayak for the best flight deals for the dates & times I wanted and finally bought tickets when the price dropped to something i was comfortable spending. I get through the purchase pages and low and behold, I am never allowed to choose seats. I couldn't figure out why until I got an email the next day. I had purchased Basic Economy tickets.

The thing is, people want all the stuff that used to be "free", but don't want to pay higher prices. So airlines (hello Sprint) started displaying a base rate, that all it got you was A seat, not a certain one, no luggage, carryon beneath the seat in front of you, no meals, etc. You want the other? Pay up.

Did you find price through Kayak and get directed to the Delta website to purchase?

If so I was just looking at purchasing tickets for my August trip. You clearly have to agree to the Basic Economy fare restrictions when booking.

Even if not that it says on Kayak it’s Basic Economy and there is a spot to click and it clearly says what BE is.

That’s what you get when you purchase the cheapest flight at times. Sometimes they are more when you add the extras.

Sorry you didn’t realize but if you don’t travel much you should read before buying

It's my understanding that when using the airlines' own websites you CANNOT choose basic economy unless you check a box that you've read and agree with all the restrictions.

Sounds more like a Kayak trick.
Actually it was an Orbitz trick. Every time I pulled up Kayak, an Orbitz page with flight deals came up too. That's where I saw the fare price I liked. I didn't know it was a different class ticket until I got the American Airlines email with all the fare restrictions spelled out in detail the next day - a day too late to do anything about it.

Did you find price through Kayak and get directed to the Delta website to purchase?

If so I was just looking at purchasing tickets for my August trip. You clearly have to agree to the Basic Economy fare restrictions when booking.

Even if not that it says on Kayak it’s Basic Economy and there is a spot to click and it clearly says what BE is.

That’s what you get when you purchase the cheapest flight at times. Sometimes they are more when you add the extras.

Sorry you didn’t realize but if you don’t travel much you should read before buying
On the American Airlines site the info is in bright green - very hard to miss. I didn't see anything like the bright green when I booked my tickets. I am totally irritated with myself for not reading the fine print carefully enough.

I understand completely how it could be overlooked. My DD was flying from the west coast to us in the east coast with her 2 year old daughter who now needs a seat. she bought what she thought was a regular seat and not basic economy (United had just implemented this at the time). United put her 2 year old at the back of the plane and her in the front of the plane. She called and it was a nightmare trying to figure it all out and get them seats together.

Now I tell her to make sure she checks that it is not basic economy as it really is not worth the hassle when you have carry ons and need to sit together.

MJ

Are you still within 24 hours since you booked. If so, I think you can cancel for a full refund.

Actually it was an Orbitz trick. Every time I pulled up Kayak, an Orbitz page with flight deals came up too. That's where I saw the fare price I liked. I didn't know it was a different class ticket until I got the American Airlines email with all the fare restrictions spelled out in detail the next day - a day too late to do anything about it.

Yeah, that's the problem with third-party travel sites. They may have provided a link as to what the restrictions are, but they don't make sure you understand exactly you're buying.

I know the airlines allow you to cancel within 24 hours, but not sure about the travel sites.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Basic economy is still new enough that many aren't aware of its restrictions.

This thread has me concerned; I’ve recently purchased plane tickets for two separate trips and I don’t remember seeing any references to a new pricing category. My tickets are on Air Canada and Westjet, although I think the Westjet ones may be a code-share flight actually on Delta. Both those airlines have 3 classes that I know of: Economy, Premium Economy and Business (neither has First on the aircrafts we’re flying).

We always fly economy and pay for seat selection and checked baggage. Even doing so (at approximately $50/pp each way) it’s still less expensive than premium economy. We’ve also taken a number of flights without paying for seat selection and have never had the experience many report of being separated in random middle seats.

ETA: Question for anybody that’s flown on one of these Basic Economy fares - How do they police who is or isn’t putting something in the overhead bin? :confused:

This thread has me concerned; I’ve recently purchased plane tickets for two separate trips and I don’t remember seeing any references to a new pricing category. My tickets are on Air Canada and Westjet, although I think the Westjet ones may be a code-share flight actually on Delta. Both those airlines have 3 classes that I know of: Economy, Premium Economy and Business (neither has First on the aircrafts we’re flying).

We always fly economy and pay for seat selection and checked baggage. Even doing so (at approximately $50/pp each way) it’s still less expensive than premium economy. We’ve also taken a number of flights without paying for seat selection and have never had the experience many report of being separated in random middle seats.

ETA: Question for anybody that’s flown on one of these Basic Economy fares - How do they police who is or isn’t putting something in the overhead bin? :confused:

I don't believe that AC has a "basic economy" equivalent. The lowest is Tango, which has restrictions but none so strict as some of the "basic economy" ones.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/fare-options-and-fees/to-the-us.html

Not sure about WJ.

Glad you found out in time.

I will use travel sites such as Trivago, Momondo, Kayak, Expedia, Google Flights, etc to find the best airfare, but I ALWAYS book directly through the airlines website. Cabin classes are clearly spelled out on the airlines' websites.

This is why I like Southwest. No games. No fees. All seats cost the same. Checked bags free which keeps the overhead space from filling up.

My mom accidentally booked this basic economy deal for a recent trip. She didn't realize until she was printing her boarding pass and saw the restrictions. She had to adjust to a smaller bag, but was okay. She did say they were serious about enforcing it and would not allow another person to use the overhead, even though there was room.

On American you are the very last boarding group so most of the overhead is already take. In our experience they don’t police it once you board, and I even had one flight attendant tell me to put my bag in the overhead even though I was BE. Delta does let you use the overhead even on a BE ticket.

I know it’s not great for everyone, but we like only paying for only what we’ll use and on a lot of flights one of us will book premium economy and take the bags and carry on and the other one and the kids will just get BE since we don’t have an extra bag. I don’t mind not picking a seat or not sitting together unless the flight is longer. Southwest is still our airline of choice but when it doesn’t work/is too expensive we look at BE.

Delta's domestic Basic Economy includes a standard carry-on sized (22"x14"x9") piece as well as a personal item.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/basic-economy.html

The one thing they warn is that as the last passengers on board, the overhead bins may not be available and in that case they will ask the passenger to gate check. We flew Basic Economy last December on Delta and we took the opportunity to gate check so we didn't have to deal with our baggage. We already had a large piece of baggage and were charged the standard $25, so it wasn't a problem going to the baggage carousels to pick them up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter