• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAGICAL EXPRESS NOT VERY MAGICAL!!!!

I know this was a lifetime ago, but my best luggage delivery was at Pop in 2010. My bag literally beat me to my room (I landed mid morning, got on a bus, we stopped at CBR, I checked in at Pop, went to my room and voila luggage was there). I wish my first experience with luggage delivery had been worse, because that set a precedent of awesomeness that has yet to be beat.
I've stayed at Pop about seven times now. And Pop has been involved in two out of three bad luggage situations. The first time, it was my adult dd and myself. We arrived at Pop around 11ish. Our room was ready. So, off to the room I go. Now, I usually go to a park rather than wait for my bags to appear. But, not that day! My dd had neglected to tell me that she packed about 8 pr of shoes in her carryon (she wanted to be able to have a choice of shoes!!!), with nothing to change into!!! And she insisted on taking a shower before we left! So, we had to sit and wait for the checked bags to get there...finally arrived at 5:30!!! The second time was a few years ago...I was traveling to WDW with dd, the younger one, and her friend was meeting us at MCO. I had booked Pop for a few nights prior to moving to OKW. I got a last minute (two weeks prior to travel) deal at POR in a Royal Room, so I grabbed it. Now, we had always been told that if your reservation number remains the same, there is no need to do anything as far as the yellow tags went. So, I left mine alone, even though they stated Pop, but the reservation number remained the same. We arrived, by car, from Tampa, so had our bags with us. Dd's friend had one checked bag that she had tagged. We got to the checkin podium and were directed to the Pop bus line. No, we're staying at POR. That wasn't showing in their system, so we had to go to the counter area. They couldn't find the correct reservation, even though the number had not changed!!! It took them close to 15 mins to get the reservation to show. They said it was a good thing we didn't have any checked bags since that would be an issue. Oh, but we do!!! So, back into the system they went, took another 15 mins, but then said we would be all set, no issues. Okay. Off we go..got to our room, oohed and ahhed over the room, went to watch the fireworks with a third high school, friend who was in the college program, from TotW at Bay Lake Towers. Got back to the room about 11pm, no bag had been delivered. I called Luggage Assistance, they said hadn't received it yet! Alrighty then. At 12:30, still no bag, called again, same answer. Finally, at about 1:15 there was a knock on the door...friend's bag had been found!!!! Where? At Pop....it had evidently been sitting there since 7pm....dd's friend arrived at MCO at 4:45!! The CM who delivered it somewhat sharply told us we should have written in the new resort name!!! Ah, when did that policy change?????
So...sometimes it's not a bad idea to leave the tags off and just get the bag yourself!! It's all about personal preference.

https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/#terminal-maps

Seems that by coincidence, the times I’ve gotten in at an hour where I can use and choose to use delivery service I’ve been on Alaska and Southwest, which come in on A side.

The times I’ve come in too late for it have been on Delta and United, which use B side.

So that’s amusing to me.

The point was not that I’m lucky, but that it’s not an absolute that all flights come in on A side so everyone gets to make the trek.

There are plenty of flights whose luggage comes out on carousels on the same side as dme.

Of course it isn't an absolute. If it was there would only be one side, not A and B.

While it would be nice for my bags to magically appear in my room when I arrive, I'm not counting on it. And this trip, I want to unpack and settle in as soon as I arrive because I have plans for the evening and early the next morning. If I don't do it then, it won't get done. The extra effort on my part, while at the airport and not in the Disney Bubble, is worth it. I'll spend an extra 20-30 minutes at the airport if that means a more productive first day on property. Sure, they could very well have my bag to me in an hour or two, and that would work out well. But if they don't, I'd be setting myself up for failure.

My advice, I guess, is to look at the big picture and pin point where things could go wrong. Plan on them going wrong, then enjoy it when they don't. If they do, then you're prepared. Let's not forget that human error exists and logistics are complicated. If pixie dust was real, then this wouldn't be a conversation. But it's not, unfortunately. And sometime the Disney Bubble functions so well that we forget that. I know I have. I've learned over the years, though, that being unlucky at Disney World is still better than being anywhere else. Rain? Ride down? Bus is late? Ah, so what. I'm still at Disney World. :)

Just an FYI, a few years ago we waited at the luggage carousel for almost 2 hours because there was thunder/lightning and they could not get the luggage off our plane. It felt like forever. We talked to a airport worker and they said a few weeks before that a airline employee had got struck by lightning getting luggage off a plane. We are always in Disney in August when there are storms all the time.

We've waited at baggage claim for more than two hours in a similar situation. Long story short is that you can have a bad--or outlier--experience no matter what options you choose.

Magical Express is a mess! It used to be very convenient and fantastic shuttle experience to the resort. I have been coming to DW for the past 20 years even before Magical Express and had to use Mears Taxi. When the Magical Express was implemented it had a few hiccups but once they were over, the service was great. I travel from the West Coast and can't get a flight to arrive before 4:00 pm. Most west coast flights arrive around 7-8 pm. Here is the problem and serious hiccup the Magical Express is having. If you arrive at the airport at 8, you usually have to wait about 45 min. on the bus before it leaves the Airport. When you arrive at your Resort, you expect to receive your luggage delivered to your room with in the 3 hrs they quote you from the time you land. This is a LIE! This has happened to me twice, my daughter twice, and a friend all in the past 6 months. Our luggage is delivered to the room at 2:00AM. Yes, 5 hrs after your flight lands! I will not be using the luggage tags from Magical Express again. I will pick up my bags myself so I can have my bags the same night I arrive. This never used to be a problem and is TOTALLY unacceptable! West Coast travelers should be told this when they receive their luggage tags so as to change plans West Coast travelers BEWARE!!!! THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED SINGLE INCIDENT!

I am going to be honest.
I am an East Coast Traveler. New York City. And this next trip will only be my 3rd since Disney began Magical Express. But this will also be my 3rd time not having someone else (even if it's Disney) handle my luggage. I am funny about my luggage and what's in it. I want it with me as long as it's possible to be with me (so of course I must part with it when I check it with the airline). So I never let Disney bring my luggage to my resort. I pick up my luggage at the baggage carousel and roll it on to the Magical Express bus with me. I want it with me when I enter my room, and I like entering my room knowing that everything that I packed is with me when I enter my room. Everything. I think it's a great idea for people who may be comfortable with it. But I have never been comfortable with it and I have never done it. It's not for everybody, and perhaps you shouldn't do it anymore. Your story isn't the first negative one that I've heard. No one wants to wait hours upon hours for their luggage to arrive. Our minds go into lost luggage mode. I just don't have time for that (*_*) during my WDW Vacation.
Best to you.

IMO, not having to wait or lug a bunch of luggage to my mode of transportation is the BEST thing about magical express. We always liked ME when we used it. Our luggage only has clothes in it. People really shouldn't put stuff in their luggage that they couldn't bear losing. If my luggage ever got lost it would be a PiA but I would just buy a bunch of clothes and deal with it.

and I like entering my room knowing that everything that I packed is with me when I enter my room. Everything.
Got it. What's your plan for when the airline misdirected (or even permanently loses) your luggage?
Your story isn't the first negative one that I've heard.
Magical Express has over two million passengers each year, and quite recently entered its fourteenth year of operation. Let's say half of those check their luggage through - a million people a year.

Now, how many negative reports have you heard? Ten thousand a year would be 1%. I don't believe there are even a thousand negative reports/experiences annually. But even if it were (as ridiculously high as) 1%, the other 990,000 users aren't going to waste time posting.

Human nature.

No one wants to wait hours upon hours for their luggage to arrive. Our minds go into lost luggage mode.
Please don't generalize. Your mind might go into 'lost luggage ' mode; you might choose to sit in your room waiting (generally/mostly up to) three hours waiting for your luggage.

I want it with me when I enter my room, and I like entering my room knowing that everything that I packed is with me when I enter my room. Everything. I think it's a great idea for people who may be comfortable with it. But I have never been comfortable with it and I have never done it. It's not for everybody, and perhaps you shouldn't do it anymore. Your story isn't the first negative one that I've heard. No one wants to wait hours upon hours for their luggage to arrive. Our minds go into lost luggage mode. I just don't have time for that (*_*) during my WDW Vacation.
Take DME out of the equation. There is STILL no guarantee that you'd have your luggage when you enter your hotel room. Airlines misplace bags all the time. We've had bags miss connections going to Europe, Florida (not Disney, but MCO), and even home. And you're right, you don't want to deal with that at the start of vacation. That's another advantage of letting Disney take care of the luggage... you don't have to wait to find out your luggage didn't make it on the plane, wait in line at the lost luggage office, fill in the forms, etc, etc, etc.

EVERYONE should pack everything they need for the first 24 hours in their carry on. This is regardless of where you're flying from or to, regardless of whether you're using a luggage service or not.

Agree 100 with the below - In February I flew non stop Phil to Chicago landed about 5pm and found out my bags went to Atlanta. AA had no idea why but they delivered them to my hotel by 12 the next day. I fly often and always have 24 hours of necessities in my carryon so I was set until my bags came.

When using DME for me its not an issue to let them move my bags and I never wait in the room for them! Another bonus is that if the bags are lost DME tracks them down for you saving an hour or more of your vacation time that would otherwise be spent at baggage claim. I have to wonder if a % of the "late DME luggage" is a result of an airline error that the guest would never be aware of?

Take DME out of the equation. There is STILL no guarantee that you'd have your luggage when you enter your hotel room. Airlines misplace bags all the time. We've had bags miss connections going to Europe, Florida (not Disney, but MCO), and even home. And you're right, you don't want to deal with that at the start of vacation. That's another advantage of letting Disney take care of the luggage... you don't have to wait to find out your luggage didn't make it on the plane, wait in line at the lost luggage office, fill in the forms, etc, etc, etc.

EVERYONE should pack everything they need for the first 24 hours in their carry on. This is regardless of where you're flying from or to, regardless of whether you're using a luggage service or not.

Agree 100 with the below - In February I flew non stop Phil to Chicago landed about 5pm and found out my bags went to Atlanta. AA had no idea why but they delivered them to my hotel by 12 the next day. I fly often and always have 24 hours of necessities in my carryon so I was set until my bags came.

When using DME for me its not an issue to let them move my bags and I never wait in the room for them! Another bonus is that if the bags are lost DME tracks them down for you saving an hour or more of your vacation time that would otherwise be spent at baggage claim. I have to wonder if a % of the "late DME luggage" is a result of an airline error that the guest would never be aware of?
Surely you know by now, it's always Disney's fault :rolleyes:

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would have been really irritated.

We're going on our 1st WDW trip in 2 weeks. No way are we using Magical Express to deliver our luggage. We're going to do it 'old school' style and pick the luggage up ourselves at baggage claim. In fact, if I can swing it, I'm going to bring a couple of pieces of luggage as carry on if there's room on the plane (our luggage is all carry-on sized, btw).

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would have been really irritated.

We're going on our 1st WDW trip in 2 weeks. No way are we using Magical Express to deliver our luggage. We're going to do it 'old school' style and pick the luggage up ourselves at baggage claim. In fact, if I can swing it, I'm going to bring a couple of pieces of luggage as carry on if there's room on the plane (our luggage is all carry-on sized, btw).

But if this is "not an isolated incident" as the OP says, surely he/should would have known to collect the luggage instead of waiting for it to be delivered? So if it's a known issue to the poster, being outraged about it happening is ... not an appropriate reaction.

But if this is "not an isolated incident" as the OP says, surely he/should would have known to collect the luggage instead of waiting for it to be delivered? So if it's a known issue to the poster, being outraged about it happening is ... not an appropriate reaction.

I disagree that the OP had no right to be upset.

Got it. What's your plan for when the airline misdirected (or even permanently loses) your luggage?

Magical Express has over two million passengers each year, and quite recently entered its fourteenth year of operation. Let's say half of those check their luggage through - a million people a year.

Now, how many negative reports have you heard? Ten thousand a year would be 1%. I don't believe there are even a thousand negative reports/experiences annually. But even if it were (as ridiculously high as) 1%, the other 990,000 users aren't going to waste time posting.

Human nature.

Please don't generalize. Your mind might go into 'lost luggage ' mode; you might choose to sit in your room waiting (generally/mostly up to) three hours waiting for your luggage.

My common sense tells me that the airline can lose my luggage, albeit it has never happened to me. There is always that possibility. I'm not putting down anyone who wants to use the service. It doesn't work for the way my head is wired.

I didn't say I'd sit in my room waiting for luggage. You did. As it stands, my luggage is with me when I am at Disney.

Negative Reports? Not a lot. I presume it works most of the time for most of the people who use it. I am just telling the poster that these things can happen. I think its a great service for people who are wired to take advantage of it. I know myself and I feel better not taking advantage of it. This was not a put down of the ME.

I agree there is not a guarantee that I will have my luggage. My comment or response was to the poster and it was about ME. I actually don't see anything wrong with the service, I just know it's not for me. I presume that the service works for most who take advantage of it.

I agree with what you've said about how to pack. Anything that you think you will need for the 24-48 hours should be with you.

I disagree that the OP had no right to be upset.

Well if OP knew something was an issue, why did he/she continue to do it? Remember, the original post says it happened to him/her multiple times.

It's like knowing the stove is hot, then being angry at the stove because you came over and put your hand on it repeatedly.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter