• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAGICAL EXPRESS NOT VERY MAGICAL!!!!

If I don't like something, and post about it, and have someone else come along and post that they actually like it...well, it's all downhill from there. It's almost as if someone is saying that because you dislike what they like, you are wrong in your feelings, that what you experienced didn't happen, or is negligible.
As you point out, tone cannot be discerned on a message board. Most of the time people offering their opposing opinion are not saying you are wrong or your experience didn't happen. But it sometimes feels that way, doesn't it?

Several people took Gentry2004 to task because of his experiences - even your reply to him comes off as dismissive. I'm sure it isn't but tone can't be discerned on a message board. I worry that my question to him and my reply might come off that way. I've never been able to get from plane to hotel in 45 (50 with a bathroom break) minutes when renting a car. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

People....we are all welcome to post our experiences. That means that there are going to be those that don't agree with you.
However, visitors who've experienced a variety of transportation forms - such as yourself - are more entitled :rotfl:

As you point out, tone cannot be discerned on a message board. Most of the time people offering their opposing opinion are not saying you are wrong or your experience didn't happen. But it sometimes feels that way, doesn't it?

Several people took Gentry2004 to task because of his experiences - even your reply to him comes off as dismissive. I'm sure it isn't but tone can't be discerned on a message board. I worry that my question to him and my reply might come off that way. I've never been able to get from plane to hotel in 45 (50 with a bathroom break) minutes when renting a car. Doesn't mean it can't happen.
I certainly don't mean to sound dismissive...far from it. BUT.....45 mins from gate (let alone plane) to resort is not routine. Have I done it in that time? Yes. But, I had a car service waiting for me at the bottom of the escalator, no checked bags. Straight to his car, and to the resort. To get from the gate to leaving the terminal, using a rental car, in 15 mins is extraordinary. And not something that happens very often. And to say that DME is a mess and not a success? Sorry, but because it didn't work for someone eight years ago does not mean it's a mess and unsuccessful today. I always try to give current, good info. Having someone say something based on an eight year old experience is not current or helpful.

However, visitors who've experienced a variety of transportation forms - such as yourself - are more entitled :rotfl:
And we all know mom is always right!
Yes, I've used every mode of transport to get from MCO to WDW. Sometimes I've been offered a speedier method but refused because I wanted to see what this new method offered, even if it took longer. I track my times. I take this board very seriously...and want only good, current info given. No, not every single person that uses DME, to or from the airport, is going to have a terrific experience. And we welcome those reports. Having all kinds of reports is the only way to make an informed decision regarding your transportation at WDW. But, here's the thing.....I rent a car more often than not lately. But, that's so that I can visit my dd and do stuff with her. I tend to still use the buses when I go to the parks. I find that most drivers in the area are either locals who are hell-bent on getting to their destination as quickly as possible, with little to no regard for others on the road, or tourists who have no idea where they're going and make last minute decisions. But, many others prefer to take their cars to the parks, hating the bus system. And that's fine. If it works for you, terrific. But, please, don't make those that choose a different way feel like idiots for their choices. And that's what happens here.....I take the bus, someone tells me that taking my car is a much better option and that the buses are awful! No, I don't see it that way, and no, that doesn't make me stupid.

I hope my remarks don't come across as snarky...those here that know me, realize I can be a bit on the snarky side. But, in this case, that isn't my intent. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I want all to feel welcome to post here...even if they disagree with me, or others. But, if I see something that is going to lead others astray, then it will be addressed.

Honestly, while I realize that a bad experience with ME can happen, I'm not even sure a single bad experience is all that helpful. Not that I mean it is pointless to give your report but I do think it's pointless to worry about it happening and think it's pretty irrelevant to your trip. They are just so rare it is not something that folks need to concern themselves with.
Sort of like the recent instances with broken windows on planes. Sure, they CAN happen. They are still really rare. I have no concerns about them happening on my flight whatsoever and I am not giving a seconds worth of time thinking about it. I have more relevant things to truly worry about, like bags that don't show up on time (seems to be happening more and more often, Southwest, I'm looking at you!)
So yeah, there could be a rare time where a ME bus doesn't show up for an hour. That is really rare. I am not going to spend 1 second of time worrying about it happening on my trip. If that was something that happened daily, it would be different. But it doesn't.

I love hearing about peoples experiences. Even if they are not current. Even if the experience is rare.

In my opinion (nothing more than opinion) dismissing someones experience because you don't share their concern can make them feel like idiots for bringing it up. I know it's happened to me; I'll post something that concerns me and people reply say they wouldn't spend any time even thinking about it. As if my concern isn't worthy of discussion because they don't share it.

Doesn't even mean it was a mess and unsuccessful right years ago.
But, every experience is valid.

I love hearing about peoples experiences. Even if they are not current. Even if the experience is rare.

In my opinion (nothing more than opinion) dismissing someones experience because you don't share their concern can make them feel like idiots for bringing it up. I know it's happened to me; I'll post something that concerns me and people reply say they wouldn't spend any time even thinking about it. As if my concern isn't worthy of discussion because they don't share it.
Ok, let me make myself very clear.....I am not being dismissive. When someone has an experience that is not the same as 95% of the rest of the people, I want to point that out. Good or bad.....goes both ways. Every single experience is valid, and should be heard. But, if someone tells me that they got off the plane at 5pm, it took them 25 mins to get on the tram, then they stood in the bus line for 40 mins, then sat on the bus for 35 mins? I'm going to point out that their experience, while miserable, isn't the norm. Because, it isn't. My pointing that out doesn't negate their experience.
Everyone here deserves to make an informed choice regarding their transportation options when at WDW. They deserve to hear the good and the bad. Unfortunately, when someone posts a less than stellar experience they may have had, others are going to come along and say that their experiences were much better. But, when that happens, the negative poster sometimes feels attacked, feeling that others don't feel their experience was real or counts. And that's just not true.
Vent over...off my moderator soapbox.

I think you're taking things too personally. Just because someone says they're not bothered by something that concerns you doesn't mean it's not worth a discussion. It means it doesn't bother them.

or tourists who have no idea where they're going and make last minute decisions.

Fwiw with all the construction even seasoned travelers are having to make last minute decisions. When we were onsite in feb the signage was atrocious. And on 4 the signage was poor, too.

But, if someone tells me that they got off the plane at 5pm, it took them 25 mins to get on the tram, then they stood in the bus line for 40 mins, then sat on the bus for 35 mins? I'm going to point out that their experience, while miserable, isn't the norm. Because, it isn't. My pointing that out doesn't negate their experience.

Truth.

Like the GIANT, had to be an hour long, line to get to the checkin for dme I saw one December happened, but was also an anomaly. Worth noting that it can happen. And it’s not worth worrying about. There’ll be time enough to worry IF you hit a line like that.

But, maybe, just in case, don’t plan for an adr too soon after landing.

Don’t worry; plan.

I think that's the beauty of a message board, everyone can share their opinions and that's just it, it will not be the exact same for anyone.

MEARS??! Ughh...I hated them sooo much, it's the reason we started driving to Disney. Disney started ME and we started flying again and absolutely LOVED it!!! We became a family of 5 and we would only fly every now and then when the deals were good and we still loved ME, but we are people that always have a day bag packed with a days worth of clothes, because my husband says that if it weren't for bad luck, he would have no luck at all!!

We drive more often than not now, because our trips are longer and we add on cruises, trips to the Keys and St. Augustine now but when we do fly in, we have switched to carry on only and that works wonders for us with no nerves!!

Now don't get me started on transferring luggage from one Disney resort to another ;)

Never had a problem with DME. But we arrive early and usually head right to a park aftr checking in. By the time we get back our luggage is in our room. I know many have reported bad experiences, but we haven't had any.

I doubt your complaint can be restricted to West Coasters only though. There are a lot of East Coasters who have late flights and likely experience the same issue.

Your choice, clearly, but why? Especially now that you know this is common travel expert advice, why would you not u$e a larger bag, with (just) enough space for your park tote an first 24 hours necessities

I'm not worried about it, frankly. I mean should it happen... it happens. I'll deal with it then. I won't be happy, but won't "lose my mind." I've never had my luggage lost and I'm simply wired to picking up my luggage. People are who they are. If for some reason my luggage is lost, I will wear what I have on to enjoy the rest of my day and wash it for the next day. As for now I am content to pick up my one bag and head on the DME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter