Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

All salient points...but it has to be said that Jones said there was no harassment issues between her and Lasseter..

Look...I am not saying that Lasseter is not a harasser..I'm saying we don't know enough yet to be demanding his head.

And there might not be...a harasser doesn't harass EVERY woman he interacts with...I mean, many abusers have a type (although some don't), and she might not have met it...

Even Weinstein didn't abuse every woman he met...although it seemed like it...

And there might not be...a harasser doesn't harass EVERY woman he interacts with...I mean, many abusers have a type (although some don't), and she might not have met it...

Agreed...and?

It still doesn't take away from the fact that none of us fully know what's going on here. There's no need for demanding a head on a platter on our own rapid-fire timetable.

We are dealing with a human life with a legendary career here. If he us guilty of this stuff he will be permanently gone soon enough.

My point is that that media story was WRONG about Rashida Jones and these are the same reports that some are using to hang Lasseter with here.

Agreed...and?

It still doesn't take away from the fact that none of us fully know what's going on here. There's no need for demanding a head on a platter on our own rapid-fire timetable.

We are dealing with a human life with a legendary career here. If he us guilty of this stuff he will be permanently gone soon enough.

At the same time, we're also dealing with OTHER human lives that work just as hard and may have been put in uncomfortable situations by ONE MAN.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this thread or these boards that have a #MeToo story, and more specifically one about being made to feel uncomfortable in the workplace by a person of authority. One person's view of what is acceptable could be very different from another's - and that's because we're all humans and individuals with different personal boundaries and levels of comfort.

But I WILL say this - if my superior or co-worker in any job hugged me when I didn't want to be hugged, kissed me (even on the cheek) at any point in time or laid hands on me short of a handshake or a tap on the should to get my attention ... that's unwanted and unwarranted physical contact in the workplace. Full stop. I don't care how brilliant you are, or what company or supporters view you as "legendary", it's absolutely unacceptable behavior for the workplace.

I really can't believe we live in a society where something as basic as "keep your hands to yourself" has to be spelled out to those older than the age of Pre-K.

All salient points...but it has to be said that Jones said there was no harassment issues between her and Lasseter..

Look...I am not saying that Lasseter is not a harasser..I'm saying we don't know enough yet to be demanding his head.

My understand from Jone's note wasn't that she said that there were no harassment issues with Lasseter, she just clarified that it was not that which drove her to leave - it was the discriminatory practices against women and minimorities there. Now she may or may not have been harassed - she didn't say definitively

At the same time, we're also dealing with OTHER human lives that work just as hard and may have been put in uncomfortable situations by ONE MAN.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this thread or these boards that have a #MeToo story, and more specifically one about being made to feel uncomfortable in the workplace by a person of authority. One person's view of what is acceptable could be very different from another's - and that's because we're all humans and individuals with different personal boundaries and levels of comfort.

But I WILL say this - if my superior or co-worker in any job hugged me when I didn't want to be hugged, kissed me (even on the cheek) at any point in time or laid hands on me short of a handshake or a tap on the should to get my attention ... that's unwanted and unwarranted physical contact in the workplace. Full stop. I don't care how brilliant you are, or what company or supporters view you as "legendary", it's absolutely unacceptable behavior for the workplace.

I really can't believe we live in a society where something as basic as "keep your hands to yourself" has to be spelled out to those older than the age of Pre-K.

I don't disagree with any of this but I do have some co-workers who do like a hug - usually females who initiate the big and would feel a bit out off if I didn't accept the hug. I don't mind and just usually wait for them to initiate.

Hopefully we can get to a point where if someone goes for a hug a person who doesn't want one can just indicate it and everything is cool. So that people who want a hug are good and people that don't are also good - rather than people looking down at each other / upset or worse at each other just because no one feels they can speak up

My understand from Jone's note wasn't that she said that there were no harassment issues with Lasseter, she just clarified that it was not that which drove her to leave - it was the discriminatory practices against women and minimorities there.
I thought it was creative differences concerning the production of the movie/characters/story

Your picture says it all, poor Donald left hanging. :rotfl:

Please know there are moderators and webmasters that can help if needed.

I will remember. This happened months ago, and everything has been ok since, but if it happens again and I can’t handle it, I will go to a moderator.

This is exactly why I'm more of a lurker instead of a contributor. Blocking the consistently nasty people helped quite a bit, but when they are very prolific posters you end up with only half the conversation.

Same. I started a thread for advice, but instead, I received harsh judgment from all angles from people I assumed were regular posters. It’s a bit hard to escape that when so many of these posters give valuable advice on other threads. I’ve basically reverted to a lurker with a few posts here and there. I’ll only start a thread for very basic knowledge on subjects I’m a bit desperate for an answer. It’s been sad for me to lose that freedom of posting, but I’ve been scared off by that one terrible incident.

Anyway, I know this is off topic, but thought I would respond to these two posts. I’m done now.

I think Disney has probably been quiet and will remain so for the next week or so BECAUSE Coco just opened and doesn't want to draw negative publicity at the same time, they will wait until the movie has been out awhile and then address, is my thinking.

I have a feeling if they haven't addressed it by now, they won't. But I could be wrong and I hope I am.

This is kind of my feeling too. Unless a real smoking gun comes out, Disney is going to hope for fatigue and forgetfulness on this issue. Which they will probably get. Let's face it, Lasetter got nowhere near the press of the other celebrities, and six months of sabbatical is five months and 2 weeks longer than a typical big news cycle. Doesn't make it right, of course, just realistic. Walk through a theater full of people watching Coco and ask who is John Lasseter and you will get blank stares from 90% of people or more.

This is kind of my feeling too. Unless a real smoking gun comes out, Disney is going to hope for fatigue and forgetfulness on this issue. Which they will probably get. Let's face it, Lasetter got nowhere near the press of the other celebrities, and six months of sabbatical is five months and 2 weeks longer than a typical big news cycle. Doesn't make it right, of course, just realistic. Walk through a theater full of people watching Coco and ask who is John Lasseter and you will get blank stares from 90% of people or more.
You’re unfortunately right on with this one

I have a feeling if they haven't addressed it by now, they won't. But I could be wrong and I hope I am.

If the accusations are true (and all we know so far are anonymous stories in a report beyond what he admitted to in his note) then I really hope this is not the case. I would hope Disney would do the due dilligence needed and act appropriately

Either way I can't see how he comes back if things are true or even other reports that haven't come out - maybe they just hope he goes away quietly

There was a part of the statement where she discussed the fact that women and minorities weren’t necessarily treated the same there.
This is not directed at you, but it's sad how some on this thread have brought up Ms. Jones clarification as some sort of defense of Mr. Lasseter. In my opinion, her comment that Pixar has "a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice" is as bad or worse than Lasseter's "missteps." One is systemic, the other is easily solved by firing the offender.

Yikes. I get that different industries have different cultures but I assumed that Pixar is pretty male heavy. I always felt like, If you guys aren't going around hugging each other there's no reason to hug me. Sounds like Lasseter may at the most innocent have boundary problems if he's hugging everyone but it's super disrespectful as a powerful guy to have your hands on everyone all the time. How sloppy. Just because you're at work in the middle of the day doesn't mean you're not drunk. Not that it's an excuse but also may be something he needs time off to get a grip on.

I'm late back to the party, but I'm a hugger of either gender. I guess that's the difference. If you're a dude trying to get free female hugs at work, then that's a problem that's beyond the workplace. I just think that good friends can spend a lot of time together and appreciate each other with a hug without everyone being like "OOOOH IN. A. PPROPRIATE!"

I'm late back to the party, but I'm a hugger of either gender. I guess that's the difference. If you're a dude trying to get free female hugs at work, then that's a problem that's beyond the workplace. I just think that good friends can spend a lot of time together and appreciate each other with a hug without everyone being like "OOOOH IN. A. PPROPRIATE!"

Not everyone wants to be touched. At work, I don't. It'd be an HR issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter