Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

Reading Rashida Jones's statement it makes me wonder about the timeline. Looking back, Rashida did an interview THREE years ago in 2014 with Jimmy Fallon and she and Will had been working on the script for TS4 for some time. In the spring of 2015 reports said they were set to table read the script and Pixar was teasing it wasn't a sequel to three but a "romantic comedy", it was still set for a 2017 release.
In Oct 2015, TS4 was pushed back from June 2017 to June 2018 to make room for Cars 3. (What??? Cars 3 is not great IMO.) Then in Oct 2016, it was pushed back from June 2018 to June 2019 for Incredibles 2. (What??? You delay TS4 when you are building a freaking land??)
Here is the kicker. Don Rickles (Mr. Potato Head) is not going to be in TS4 because when he passed in April 2017 they were STILL WORKING on the script for TS4 so they weren't able to record his part. To mean, it sounds like there has been legitimate creative issues with TS4.
Does this mean John didn't do inappropriate things?? Nope! Does it mean she isn't sidestepping allegation? No, but...given the timeline, I think her words should be taken exactly as she said them, there is plenty of evidence this movie went off the rails at some point. I really respect her as a business woman. To me, her and Will's script didn't mesh with Pixar's vision. Pixar has seemingly struggled to get this story right, maybe even articulating themselves what they want, and Rashida and Will leaving "early in development" didn't resolve it. Pixar has envisioned something and as of April 2017 it still wasn't translating to the writing.
She said she spoke up to prevent misreporting in the press. I look at this timeline and I think she is really telling the truth.

Last edited:
Everyone should do what they want in regards to Coco or other Pixar/Disney products. Every dollar does count. On the other hand, I wouldn't think that someone is supporting Lasseter's behavior by going to see Coco.

As far as Coco, I think that it will do well, or not, or somewhere in between and it will have nothing to do with this Lasseter scandal. 99% of America does not follow this stuff like Disney fans and won't even make the connection or care either way

As far as Coco, I think that it will do well, or not, or somewhere in between and it will have nothing to do with this Lasseter scandal. 99% of America does not follow this stuff like Disney fans and won't even make the connection or care either way

Agree to disagree. Large swaths of the population are DONE with these sexual predators (in a generalized way) who use their position and place to conduct themselves in terribly inappropriate ways. I'm waiting to hear that Disney is taking some serious action to correct a systemically flawed culture at Pixar. Consumers are informed and voting with their dollars, and I think it will impact Coco. I don't liken this to Yeehaw Bob, who isn't known by most people and no body cares. As a frequent WDW guest, I'd never had heard of him if it wasn't for these boards. In that situation, it is exactly as you say, no one is paying attention. This is the head of major animation house who was just...sleazy. People may well revise their decisions based on that.

Agree to disagree. Large swaths of the population are DONE with these sexual predators (in a generalized way) who use their position and place to conduct themselves in terribly inappropriate ways. I'm waiting to hear that Disney is taking some serious action to correct a systemically flawed culture at Pixar. Consumers are informed and voting with their dollars, and I think it will impact Coco. I don't liken this to Yeehaw Bob, who isn't known by most people and no body cares. As a frequent WDW guest, I'd never had heard of him if it wasn't for these boards. In that situation, it is exactly as you say, no one is paying attention. This is the head of major animation house who was just...sleazy. People may well revise their decisions based on that.
I don’t know. I think if I were to go into Walmart and ask a random person who John Lasseter is I think they are less likely to know than we may think. So far it seems Coco is doing well so I can’t see it affecting it that much.

I don’t know. I think if I were to go into Walmart and ask a random person who John Lasseter is I think they are less likely to know than we may think. So far it seems Coco is doing well so I can’t see it affecting it that much.

I generally agree with Ryan in the sense I’m not sure how many people actually know who John Lasseter is. This scandal hasn’t gained nearly the traction on the nightly news as others have, and I’m not sure if it’s because the story’s in its infancy or the outlets don’t beieve Lasseter is a big enough person to make a big deal out of. Not really sure

Last edited:

I generally agree with Ryan in the sense I’m not sure how many people actually know who John Lasseter is. This scandal hasn’t gained nearly the traction on the nightly news as others have, and I’m not sure if it’s because the story’s in its infancy or the outlets don’t grieve Lasseter is a big enough person to make a big deal out of. Not really sure

I'm sure most people don't know Lasseter's name, more "head of Pixar" identification. I think @rteetz is dead on in terms of name recognition. It may be my bias too in that I assume everyone reads the NY Times and The Economist like I do, and of course, that's incorrect.

BTW: Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll!

This is all so sickening. I saw Coco but I did feel a little regret when I saw his name as executive producer. Definitely turned my stomach a little.

In the end it's a beautiful story, gorgeous animation, and I don't think it was really Lasseter's vision that was being displayed. I don't know.

I honestly don’t think it will. Not downplaying the situation, but I think the media has become so saturated with accusations that ppl have stopped paying attention as much. I talked to ppl yesterday & was surprised how many ppl had no idea. Ppl paid attention when this was a new issue with Harvey Weinstein, but with every person that is accused, the shock wears off. While ppl don’t condone the behavior, of course, they become exhausted trying to keep up with all the ppl & things they should boycott & just give up when it becomes so pervasive. And to me, the issue is not only about the individuals anymore (although they should all be held accountable), but speaks to a larger societal/cultural issue since it’s so prevelant. This part needs to be addressed & victims need to be encouraged to have the courage to speak up immediately.

I honestly don’t think it will. Not downplaying the situation, but I think the media has become so saturated with accusations that ppl have stopped paying attention as much. I talked to ppl yesterday & was surprised how many ppl had no idea. Ppl paid attention when this was a new issue with Harvey Weinstein, but with every person that is accused, the shock wears off. While ppl don’t condone the behavior, of course, they become exhausted trying to keep up with all the ppl & things they should boycott & just give up when it becomes so pervasive. And to me, the issue is not only about the individuals anymore (although they should all be held accountable), but speaks to a larger societal/cultural issue since it’s so prevelant. This part needs to be addressed & victims need to be encouraged to have the courage to speak up immediately.
Agreed. My mom said yesterday that she can’t watch the news because it’s just sexual assault, misconduct or harassment.

I honestly don’t think it will. Not downplaying the situation, but I think the media has become so saturated with accusations that ppl have stopped paying attention as much. I talked to ppl yesterday & was surprised how many ppl had no idea. Ppl paid attention when this was a new issue with Harvey Weinstein, but with every person that is accused, the shock wears off. While ppl don’t condone the behavior, of course, they become exhausted trying to keep up with all the ppl & things they should boycott & just give up when it becomes so pervasive.

I think the same thing is happening (terribly) with shootings. There have been so many! It's sickening, but it's hard to keep up. My mom and I share very firm political believes and shopping yesterday and today and just having to pass on eateries is getting old. I'm happy to be an informed consumer, but it sure was easier when I didn't know all the policies of all the businesses or could watch Kevin spacey movies. If Pixar doesn't make some kind of serious action to change its corporate culture and Disney allows things to stay in place, I'm afraid of making a decision I don't want to, but would feel ethically obligated to. I'm getting pretty pissed tbh, that Disney and Pixar haven't come out with anything firm yet. Sure, they need time, but it's starting to *feel* (just to me, and who cares about what 1 fan thinks), like nothing is being done.

And to me, the issue is not only about the individuals anymore (although they should all be held accountable), but speaks to a larger societal/cultural issue since it’s so prevelant. This part needs to be addressed & victims need to be encouraged to have the courage to speak up immediately.

I wanted to highlight this bit seperately. We need to be taking a long, hard, ugly look at why we've let this continue for so long, but I'm darn glad the day has come that we are examining this issue. I hope fatigue doesn't make us all run out of steam.

But, Disney!!! I expect better, although it's silly to expect more out of humans from one company to the other.

It's interesting in that it sort of works both ways - the more new accusations come out the better because it means that more people (typically women) are feeling better about coming forward ... but each additional one has less impact than the last one

The bigger change will not be from more accusations taking place but from less - do to less being tolerated and more good people willing to speak up and say "that's not right!" - even in small things

I think the same thing is happening (terribly) with shootings. There have been so many! It's sickening, but it's hard to keep up. My mom and I share very firm political believes and shopping yesterday and today and just having to pass on eateries is getting old. I'm happy to be an informed consumer, but it sure was easier when I didn't know all the policies of all the businesses or could watch Kevin spacey movies. If Pixar doesn't make some kind of serious action to change its corporate culture and Disney allows things to stay in place, I'm afraid of making a decision I don't want to, but would feel ethically obligated to. I'm getting pretty pissed tbh, that Disney and Pixar haven't come out with anything firm yet. Sure, they need time, but it's starting to *feel* (just to me, and who cares about what 1 fan thinks), like nothing is being done.

Fully agree about the shootings (and it is really sad) - feels like that recent one in a Texas was a blip for a day and then everyone moved on

I definitely get what you are saying about Disney and have similar feelings. I will say that most other places took a few days before really reacting and he has already taken the sabbatical. Plus the holiday. Not saying they are all enough or total excuses but I guess I am willing to give them a little more time. But if we are here a week from now and nothing has come from Disney corporate I will, at a minimum, be disappointed

Fully agree about the shootings (and it is really sad) - feels like that recent one in a Texas was a blip for a day and then everyone moved on

I definitely get what you are saying about Disney and have similar feelings. I will say that most other places took a few days before really reacting and he has already taken the sabbatical. Plus the holiday. Not saying they are all enough or total excuses but I guess I am willing to give them a little more time. But if we are here a week from now and nothing has come from Disney corporate I will, at a minimum, be disappointed

I'm not rushing to judgment yet either, but time is passing in terms of the Disney corporate response and that's troubling.

I'm not rushing to judgment yet either, but time is passing in terms of the Disney corporate response and that's troubling.

Good grief, the man has a right to a fair investigation. Be patient! He's a hugely important person to this company. Not every news story or anonymous accusation is necessarily true, you know? Are we not innocent until proven guilty in this country anymore?

Good grief, the man has a right to a fair investigation. Be patient! He's a hugely important person to this company. Not every news story or anonymous accusation is necessarily true, you know? Are we not innocent until proven guilty in this country anymore?

In a court of law.

When a large number come forward and the stories are legend? But go ahead and defend him.

ETA: the only thing I'm waiting for is how Disney/Pixar respond. That guy? He's a sleaze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter