Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

I'm thinking he's getting ahead of some sort of harassment allegations. That's the way his letter reads to me.

agree - I guess one positive is he came forward before being formally accused (so at least he isn't saying "I am sorry I got caught) but still, pretty weak. Why can't any of just say "I was, and am, a selfish ***, and I am truly sorry I hurt other people. I was in the wrong and will work to do better" or something like that rather than things like "I made misteps and might not be the leader I want to be"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredibly disturbing to think women at the three studios he oversaw were being subjected to Lasseter's inappropriate behavior, and couldn't even find comparable work elsewhere due to Catmull's illegal no-poaching agreement. Sad to think the great artists behind so many dream-come-true movies have been stuck in a nightmare workplace.

agree - I guess one positive is he came forward before being formally accused (so at least he isn't saying "I am sorry I got caught) but still, pretty weak. Why can't any of just say "I was, and am, a selfish a$$, and I am truly sorry I hurt other people. I was in the wrong and will work to do better" or something like that rather than things like "I made misteps and might not be the leader I want to be"?

There is no positive in this. He came forward because a story was about to be published detailing his sleaziness. I'm surprised he hasn't been fired yet, and am guessing that will happen in due time once Disney does their due diligence.

What gets me with this and all the other recent headlines is the fact that so many people knew and those that had the power to stop it just never stepped in. Why is it so hard to pull someone aside and say keep your hands to yourself? And if they don’t move to the next steps. Fire them. File charges. The people at the very top knew and yet it was still allowed. I just can’t imagine going to work knowing your boss will get super inappropriate and there is nothing you can do and no one else will stand up for you. And working for Pixar is definitely a niche market. It’s not like you can just quit and do something else. It is so, so sad that this has been the norm for so many individuals for so long.

agree - I guess one positive is he came forward before being formally accused (so at least he isn't saying "I am sorry I got caught) but still, pretty weak. Why can't any of just say "I was, and am, a selfish a$$, and I am truly sorry I hurt other people. I was in the wrong and will work to do better" or something like that rather than things like "I made misteps and might not be the leader I want to be"?
I actually think John's letter to the company was one of the better apologies we have seen in this whole misconduct thing throughout Hollywood. He did talk about learning from mistakes and said he will take this time to do better.

Sorry but duh?

What I am saying is everyone who has been caught hasn't exactly given a letter this. Am I saying he should automatically be forgiven? No. I am saying I feel he is owning up to it more than some others who have caught.
I see it from a different viewpoint perhaps. That apology is in no way sincere. It says I got caught and now the lawyers advise me to say sorry. You don’t act that way for seemingly decades and then pen an apology. Guys like that don’t change. I’ve seen it too many times.

ETA: I do agree it is a nicely worded apology, although I don’t believe it amounts to taking responsibility. It’s taking care of a company liability.

There is no positive in this. He came forward because a story was about to be published detailing his sleaziness. I'm surprised he hasn't been fired yet, and am guessing that will happen in due time once Disney does their due diligence.

first, Positive was the wrong word to use, second, I had only read the second link which didn't indicate a story was about to be published - made it seem like this only came out b/c his letter

Now that I have read that, there is no difference, this is just "I am sorry because I got caught"

with all the reports I think he is done, and the fact that some in management had to know (per the "we had to crop a photo" story) I could see more heads rolling ... and this coupled with the Yee Haw Bob story (if true) I could see Iger going too for allowing a culture that permitted it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter