Keeping Ukraine in our thoughts and prayers here

Has anyone ever been able to trust them?
In the Netherlands we have trusted Russia for a long time. We already had ties with Russia in the early 1600s and in the 1800s our crown prince married the sister of the czar.

We even have a museum which is part of the Russian Hermitage and always have part of the Hermitage collection on display.

So, yeah, maybe that contributes to how much we try to help Ukraine now. Who knows. It gets complicated when you have a 400 year relationship.

Last edited:
In the Netherlands we have trusted Russia for a long time. We already had ties with Russia in the early 1600s and in the 1800s our crown prince married the sister of the czar.

We even have a museum which is part of the Russian Hermitage and always have part of the Hermitage collection on display.

So, yeah, maybe that contributes to how much we try to help Ukraine now. Who knows. It gets complicated when you have a 400 year relationship.
You know... Imperial Russia was 3 countries ago. Lol. Also, the Netherlands don't have a border with Russia. You have a several country buffer zone. Poland (for example) does not and they also have a very long history with Russia. Ask them how they feel.

You know... Imperial Russia was 3 countries ago. Lol. Also, the Netherlands don't have a border with Russia. You have a several country buffer zone. Poland (for example) does not and they also have a very long history with Russia. Ask them how they feel.
I'd rather not speak for other countries, I can only speak for my own. Dan asked, probably rhetorically, who ever trusted Russia. I am from the Netherlands, I can tell you we did.
If I was from Poland, I could give you the Polish perspective.

And 3 countries in Europe is not a lot. Russia is a 3 hours flight away. If Russia starts bombing the UK, which they have threatened to do... we are in between.

Russia perplexes me. It is a nation of marvellous history and art, from its architecture, music and poetry to its paintings. Yet it has seen such violence.
I think that's the case with many powerful nations and cultures. Ancient Rome, Greece, but also China. When you get rich you get to spend money on artists to surround you with beautiful things.
And you usually got rich by invading other countries and going to war.

Nor does Finland, which is apparently being used as a thoroughfare for glib Russians to transit through to their summer holidays. This struck me as particularly egregious. By virtue of their citizenship, they are all currently ENEMIES of the Western world, aligned with Ukraine, albeit in very ineffective (it seems) ways. Tourist visas for Russians to/through any country currently imposing sanctions, should be canceled immediately.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/finns-call-for-halt-to-unbearable-russian-tourism/ar-AA105czi

It’s been over a hundred and fifty years since we have had a war in the US. It’s hard for some to understand…all of Europe is in a precarious situation. Many have suffered the atrocities up close an personal. Definitely gives one a different mindset.

Yes, and he clearly is NOT a Politician. His speech was quick and to the point. None of the unnecessary boiler plate language Politicians use.
It was a great speech for sure.
It’s been over a hundred and fifty years since we have had a war in the US. It’s hard for some to understand…all of Europe is in a precarious situation. Many have suffered the atrocities up close an personal. Definitely gives one a different mindset.
So very true, TLS.

What to you think about the second possible big attack? How many more people need to die before he stops?
I just read about the CarDonate project, where people can send old cars which will be used for Ukrainian army (paramedics/military) and curious if someone have done it before?

Last edited:
I think it's possible....

Bullies never stop trying. It's a war of attrition. Never mind the fact that Russia is hardly making ANY headway - Putin will just keep slogging away. At least, until the rest of the world stands up to him. Or - dare I say - someone takes him out.

Putin presided over Russia's scaled-down Victory Day parade, which is supposed to commemorate the end of WWII. He gave a speech, in which he said that war was "unleashed" on Russia by Ukraine and the west. I wonder how much the Russian people believe what they are being told by him and state media, and how many of them know the truth but are just trying to keep their heads down and not be noticed.

Putin presided over Russia's scaled-down Victory Day parade, which is supposed to commemorate the end of WWII. He gave a speech, in which he said that war was "unleashed" on Russia by Ukraine and the west. I wonder how much the Russian people believe what they are being told by him and state media, and how many of them know the truth but are just trying to keep their heads down and not be noticed.
He was preparing for this war for many years, and making people believe him was one of the tasks.

I wonder how many people still help Ukraine? It seems that everyone is tired of this war.

He was preparing for this war for many years, and making people believe him was one of the tasks.

I wonder how many people still help Ukraine? It seems that everyone is tired of this war.
Absolutely agree! He has been ruling for so many years that new generations grew up beliving that his words can't be anything else but the truth. I'm sure it was his big plan.

As for help to Ukraine, I follow the news about various organizations, mostly non-profit ones, and donate now and then. The last one I discovered was Algorithm of Actions https://algorytm.ngo/en It unites the business, tech, and creative community of one of the Ukrainian cities, improving the business ecosystem and turning the city into a local creative economy and IT hub of Ukraine. It is surprising how creative these guys are.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter