Keeping an eye on Tropical Weather 2024

Am I the only one surprised that Disney is not pre-emptively saying that the resort will close early on Wednesday and remain closed Thursday and Friday? There is no way they are not forming their hurricane crews for the resorts and parks and getting the commitments they need from CM for that already. This thing has the potential to be a Katrina level event if it hits anywhere close to the mouth of Tampa Bay.

MCO already starting closed for commercial traffic as of Wednesday should be all WDW and Universal need to notify people of the shutdown that we all know is going to happen.

Unless the levees aren't maintained and are poorly engineered then this won't be Katrina.

That was the main issue, design failure and poor maintenance. My brother in law was a civil engineer employed after the fact with many others to study cause and affect.

We have a rental on the west coast we are supposed to return to on Thursday. I asked Disney what if we can’t get back, he said we would be offered a reduced rate to stay an additional night.

Unless the levees aren't maintained and are poorly engineered then this won't be Katrina.

That was the main issue, design failure and poor maintenance. My brother in law was a civil engineer employed after the fact with many others to study cause and affect.
"Katrina-level" does not mean the causes must be identical to Katrina's. We just had similar level impacts from Helene in some areas, and that was not all about levees. This is a different storm, in a different place under different circumstances. The potential is there for severe impacts. Hopefully nobody is making Katrina comparisons on Friday. But let's not dismiss the possibility until it is appropriate to do so.

We lived in the WDW area for over 25 years and endured a number of hurricanes, including Charley. I hated the annual anguish of possible hurricanes during the hurricane season. In times like this I’m glad to now be living in north Georgia.

Of course most of our friends and former fellow CMs live in the Tampa and Central Florida areas so we are concerned for their safety. We offered all of them a stay at our home but none of them are leaving.
Have wanted to live in Florida for a while now, but no more. The desire is over. I couldn't handle this stuff. I'll stick with N. Ga as well.

We were at Fort Wilderness with our 5th wheel when Ian came. Everybody either left or parked their camper at the Magic Kingdom parking lot. They gave us a room at Port Orleans for the week. All of Orlando was shut down. It was not as bad as what Milton looks like it might be. Everybody better hunker down.

"Katrina-level" does not mean the causes must be identical to Katrina's. We just had similar level impacts from Helene in some areas, and that was not all about levees. This is a different storm, in a different place under different circumstances. The potential is there for severe impacts. Hopefully nobody is making Katrina comparisons on Friday. But let's not dismiss the possibility until it is appropriate to do so.

The point being is it wasn't the storm that caused the flooding.

Helene was the storm and the tremendous rainfall amounts in the mountain areas.

But I'll agree, let's hope no severe and deadly flooding

The point being is it wasn't the storm that caused the flooding.

Helene was the storm and the tremendous rainfall amounts in the mountain areas.

But I'll agree, let's hope no severe and deadly flooding
And point being different storms in different areas can cause severe impacts.

Not sure why you find that amusing, but I am sure you have your reasons.

We’re at disney now in one of the copper creek cabins. Wed by 11 we have to be out, apparently we are being moved to a 2 bedroom at copper creek.
Probably too many trees that might fall on cabin and the water is right there so flooding issue especially with wind pushing the water

We have a rental on the west coast we are supposed to return to on Thursday. I asked Disney what if we can’t get back, he said we would be offered a reduced rate to stay an additional night.

The hurricane will be over Orlando Thursday morning as a CAT 2. I think confidently, MCO will be closed Thursday and Friday at the least. Might want to take that extra night to be safe

Probably too many trees that might fall on cabin and the water is right there so flooding issue especially with wind pushing the water
Yes the Pine trees don't mix well with the WL / Copper Creek Cabins. Bay lake not so much on the flooding chances.

Dave

The hurricane will be over Orlando Thursday morning as a CAT 2. I think confidently, MCO will be closed Thursday and Friday at the least. Might want to take that extra night to be safe
The real challenge for many areas is the current model projects Milton moving across the state at about 15 MPH and take about 9 hours to exit as a Cat 1 Hurricane.

ETA: still working on that pesky English...

Dave

Last edited:
The real issue with this storm is the intensity it has now creates so much energy and it will grow in size and width with time. I do feel for anyone at WDW - while safe there I have a feeling it could be really hard.

I fear the damage to our beloved WDW could be really rough. This storm will be no joke. I'm guessing the storm damage will probably delay the parks reopening for days after the storm. Part of the equation is the CMs many who are on ride-out, but they will want/need to return home. This will be awful. I hope guests will give much, much grace to those CMS who choose to help with the ride-out and understand staffing issues will be difficult.

We were at Fort Wilderness with our 5th wheel when Ian came. Everybody either left or parked their camper at the Magic Kingdom parking lot. They gave us a room at Port Orleans for the week. All of Orlando was shut down. It was not as bad as what Milton looks like it might be. Everybody better hunker down.
I was there, too. Staying at French Quarter. So many folks from FW were there it was like a party.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest