Keeping an eye on Helene

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
9/24/24
It is now Tropical Storm Helene

9/23/24
Weather is churning up in the gulf again and a storm is expected to be named today as Helene. And expected to land somewhere in Florida, sometime on Thursday or Friday. It’s too early to accurately predict anything.

Disney parks rarely closes during hurricanes.

The parks are usually open and less crowded.

Weather could affect travel plans.

Helene will be something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
we have been watching this storm forecast right now as it's still early to see the path they have a few models going up towards Tampa which would affect Orlando.
For Ian which we had bad affects all the way to Orlando and the Parks did close for 2 days so it does happen if affects get that close. I need to cancel my hotel by Wed so if it looks ruff, I will reschedule then, but we are 2.5 hrs away so changing is no biggie.

We are scheduled to fly in Thursday morning. I’d like to reschedule but we didn’t purchase trip insurance so not sure how those conversations would even go so have not called.

We are scheduled to fly in Thursday morning. I’d like to reschedule but we didn’t purchase trip insurance so not sure how those conversations would even go so have not called.
Disney is good about allowing rescheduling once a storm is named and is either affecting Disney or your home area. I would expect the naming to happen sometime late today or early tomorrow. Once the storm has a definite center, it will be easier for the meteorologists to predict the path with greater accuracy and those details will drop into place. My understanding is that the Hurricane Center is sending their first flight into the area this afternoon to gather data also.

Disney property is a good place to ride out a storm. Could you come in a day early? I don’t think the airport will be closed Thursday morning, but if the winds pick up due to a feeder band it is a possibility. It would probably be much less hectic if you could fly in on Wednesday, even if it’s a late day flight. I don’t think ground conditions here will be really bad until Thursday afternoon, if there are no changes to the path and speed predictions.

I am watching the storm like a hawk since I live west of Disney, so the weather will probably be much worse where I live than it will be at Disney itself.

ETA This graphic was issued by the Hurricane Center in the last hour, showing when tropical storm force winds could arrive. So sometime between 8pm on Wednesday night through 8am Thursday morning. If you could arrive in Orlando before midnight Wednesday I think there is a good chance the airport would be open based on this time frame.

IMG_1336.jpeg

Last edited:
I live an hour away. If Disney cancels by Wednesday I still eat the hotel. Looking for the storm to go north and just send in some rain only.

Two weeks ago we were headed to Animal Kingdom and rain had been scheduled all day. Not one drop-it rained the next day. Fingers crossed.

We fly down early Wednesday morning and that seems to be fine. If it just rains we'll power through, if they close the parks maybe we'll add another day to our weeklong trip. Trying to stay positive and hoping it goes away as quickly as it seems to be arriving.

We've driven and stayed through a few hurricanes and tropical storms while vacationing in the OBX over the years. The worst was a night spend oceanfront during a CAT1 hurricane back in 1999 but it was the day we arrived and the weather was phenomenal after it moved on. So the rain and wind don't bother me, just the potential to lose a day of fun and some $$. OK it is Disney so $$$.

We are flying down Wednesday afternoon. This is my grandgirls' first Disney trip, and it's a surprise! It's also my daughter-in-law's first trip. We have tickets to the Thursday party. :/ But! We've already been Pixi dusted with an awesome upgrade, and we are going to make the best of it! Hopefully we'll just get wet and have a blast! It's been 2 years since my last visit & I am excited and grateful to be going back!

I weirdly watch the noaa website (even when we don't have a trip lol). This one looks so much like Ian. We had the joy of experiencing Ian two years ago on our "once" in a lifetime anniversary trip September 28th, 2023. Hopefully no hurricane will happen and no damage to anyone! But I will say Disney does an amazing job during these events.

If you have flights booked, you might want to touch base with your airline for guidance as to their policies. The track tending west of Orlando puts Orlando on the “dirty side” of the storm, meaning the potential for heavy rain and winds and thus a chance that the airports might be closed for some period of time, or the airlines might cancel flights so that they can move the planes to a safer location until the storm passes. Also, the airlines often have policies that allow you to cancel or change without the normal penalties depending on what advisories, watches or warnings are issued for Orlando.

Currently SW only has Tues & Weds Cancun and Havana listed for travel advisories. I am also flying in to MCO early Wednesday, around 9:30 Am and am not expecting trouble. Staying positive! It's still too early to know where it will end up going.

Packing extra clothes and shoes in case of a few drenchings.

Orlando weather channel 2 has Thursday with 2 inches of rain and winds at 40-50 miles an hour. I would look for news from Disney Wednesday evening.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest