In Defense of Bob Chapek

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that is in the actual article - I quoted it in my previous post. It isn't a direct quote and it is from unnamed Disney sources, but Business Insider usually has verifiable sources that they use from employees of a company.
Iger has really come off as down right bitter a few times since the transition. I think this is an ego thing- he fully expected Chapek to embrace his "white knight" return with open arms and Chapek basically told him no thanks. I think that was a big blow to the former Bob.

I'm talking about operations and running their parks like they were before Covid. Yes all parks have staffing issues but for the most part are operating as they normally are. None have the ridiculous reservation system. My guess is many of you don't visit other parks much so have no idea.
Cedar Fair parks you still have to select your specific date when buying tickets, therefore making a reservation.

Cedar Fair parks you still have to select your specific date when buying tickets, therefore making a reservation.
I have been to 2 this season already and never had to do that. Then again I do have a platinum pass.

My point was more that for the most part the majority of other parks are operating as normal. Yes they all have staffing issues but aside from that there's little downtime on rides compared to Disney and most aren't in disrepair. Looking at you Dinosaur and Splash.

I don't buy the supply issues as everyone has that issue but some how it affects Disney more when anyone else. My take they just don't want to the money.

Chapek has done well with the media side of the company. Turning the parks into an ATM to finance the media side has been a disaster. @Jonfw2 how can you defend that?

I have been to 2 this season already and never had to do that. Then again I do have a platinum pass.

My point was more that for the most part the majority of other parks are operating as normal. Yes they all have staffing issues but aside from that there's little downtime on rides compared to Disney and most aren't in disrepair. Looking at you Dinosaur and Splash.

I don't buy the supply issues as everyone has that issue but some how it affects Disney more when anyone else. My take they just don't want to the money.

Chapek has done well with the media side of the company. Turning the parks into an ATM to finance the media side has been a disaster. @Jonfw2 how can you defend that?
I also have a platinum pass, but selecting a date is still very much required for daily tickets. Maybe do some research before stating incorrect info.

The other parks have not been operating normal in my experience, definitely not any more normal than WDW.
I've seen more downtime on rides (quite a bit more) at the 6 non Disney parks I've been to this year, compared to my 2 trips at Disney. They have had just as many staffing issues, if not more, and also just as many supply issues. So many carts and restaurants not open or opening late/closing early. Shortened park hours. Horrible ride efficiency. Rides closed at weird times. The list goes on and on. If it weren't for the thrill rides that I love, I would never go to a non Disney park, they just don't even come close.

I also have a platinum pass, but selecting a date is still very much required for daily tickets. Maybe do some research before stating incorrect info.

The other parks have not been operating normal in my experience, definitely not any more normal than WDW.
I've seen more downtime on rides (quite a bit more) at the 6 non Disney parks I've been to this year, compared to my 2 trips at Disney. They have had just as many staffing issues, if not more, and also just as many supply issues. So many carts and restaurants not open or opening late/closing early. Shortened park hours. Horrible ride efficiency. Rides closed at weird times. The list goes on and on. If it weren't for the thrill rides that I love, I would never go to a non Disney park, they just don't even come close.
I just bought tickets for friends for Canadas Wonderland and Cedar Point and didn't have to pick my dates. I have been to Cedar Point and Wonderland and never saw any issues there other then some staffing issues.

The problem my family finds with Disney is most of their rides are one and done. We are also not big on shows, fireworks or immersive experiences. We just go to parks for the rides.

I just bought tickets for friends for Canadas Wonderland and Cedar Point and didn't have to pick my dates. I have been to Cedar Point and Wonderland and never saw any issues there other then some staffing issues.

The problem my family finds with Disney is most of their rides are one and done. We are also not big on shows, fireworks or immersive experiences. We just go to parks for the rides.
The second to last and last sentence is purely a personal opinion that I'm sure would have an absolutley massive effect on your perspective. That's like literally what they do best.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220715-112308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220715-112308_Chrome.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
One question I keep asking myself over and over on threads like this. If some people seem to just hate Disney as much as they come across on their posts, what are you doing here? Wouldn't your time and energy be better spent with something that you enjoy instead of endlessly bashing a place you don't even like? There's some people that even come across as having never liked Disney parks, its just very puzzling.

Iger has really come off as down right bitter a few times since the transition. I think this is an ego thing- he fully expected Chapek to embrace his "white knight" return with open arms and Chapek basically told him no thanks. I think that was a big blow to the former Bob.
i also think that Chapek was his third choice, remember Iger stayed on longer because his successors kept jumping ship. there was probably handshake and a wink expectation that Chapek would "learn on the job", and as soon as he was named CEO it all went out the window. No way to actually prove that, but based on tidbits here and there it could be plausible at least

Disney also has a lot more demand for product than any other park out there

I literally went on the weekend and you very much do need to select a date to go and your ticket is only valid for that date. Lots of rides were not working at full capacity either.

I literally went on the weekend and you very much do need to select a date to go and your ticket is only valid for that date. Lots of rides were not working at full capacity either.
I never knew that due to being a pass holder and when I do buy tickets for friends through my account it doesn't ask for it.

and now we are back to the crux of the issue, your own personal feelings are leading your opinion that you pitch out as fact

I never knew that due to being a pass holder and when I do buy tickets for friends through my account it doesn't ask for it.
That my friend is being misinformed and making assumptions without even bothering to look at the correct information of what you are preaching you know about.

Last edited:
Anyone see this: ".. according to several Disney sources and others familiar with Iger's thinking, the executive spent 2020 and 2021 .. regretting what he has called one of his worst business decisions: the selection of Bob Chapek .."
https://www.businessinsider.com/for...attled-board-unhappy-chapek-succession-2022-7
I wouldn't say I'm shocked by that, the two have completely different business strategies, so is it all that surprising that Iger wouldn't like a person who does things completely the opposite way he tried to do them. That doesn't mean he's ineffective though, it is literally one mans opinion, and the board seems to think he's doing a fine job at the moment.

One question I keep asking myself over and over on threads like this. If some people seem to just hate Disney as much as they come across on their posts, what are you doing here? Wouldn't your time and energy be better spent with something that you enjoy instead of endlessly bashing a place you don't even like? There's some people that even come across as having never liked Disney parks, its just very puzzling.

I know for me personally, I still really enjoy going to Disney parks. My biggest issue has been the ever increasing prices with lower value.

While I wouldn't be happy, I think I'd prefer even higher prices than today with the same or more services/perks included.

I could understand but I probably would less prefer pricing to remain the same with less value.

But the option we currently have is higher prices and less value.

I'm also not a fan of Genie+

But while all of these things are less than ideal and I'll continue to complain about them (until there is something else to complain about I guess) - I still like going to the parks.

I have 2 anecdotal statements from 2 families who went to Disney and Universal in May (1st time to theme parks). Both greatly preferred the Disney parks and Genie+ to Universal and Express Pass. With Genie+ they never waited in lines and felt they had control. Express pass was oversold and they waited at almost every ride and felt they had no control. The only aspect of Universal they preferred were the hotels. Food and parks experience was Disney by a mile and both stated they prob would never go to Universal again. Both also said Universal was MORE expensive per day.

Opinions are just that but based on the comments on these boards you would think Universal is doing something outrageously special. In terms of the park pass system how hard is it to pick your parks when you buy your tickets? This is not me defending the park pass system so much as stating it is not that difficult to just book a park. I have issues about when you can park hop but booking a morning park easy. I wish I could pre-book my Genie+ 60 days out but in the end I just want to be at WDW so I will adapt.

I have 2 anecdotal statements from 2 families who went to Disney and Universal in May (1st time to theme parks). Both greatly preferred the Disney parks and Genie+ to Universal and Express Pass. With Genie+ they never waited in lines and felt they had control. Express pass was oversold and they waited at almost every ride and felt they had no control. The only aspect of Universal they preferred were the hotels. Food and parks experience was Disney by a mile and both stated they prob would never go to Universal again. Both also said Universal was MORE expensive per day.

Opinions are just that but based on the comments on these boards you would think Universal is doing something outrageously special. In terms of the park pass system how hard is it to pick your parks when you buy your tickets? This is not me defending the park pass system so much as stating it is not that difficult to just book a park. I have issues about when you can park hop but booking a morning park easy. I wish I could pre-book my Genie+ 60 days out but in the end I just want to be at WDW so I will adapt.

The Park Pass system forces you to be stuck at one park until 2pm. You could say FP+ did the same, but as an example, in January 2020 when Rise of the Resistance first came out and the rule was you had to scan into the park to get a Boarding Group, I went to Hollywood Studios first each morning to get a boarding group and then went to the park where my FP+ reservation was. I can't do that anymore. Maybe that isn't the best example since Disney probably doesn't want this to happen and "eat up" all of the virtual queues.

Here's another example - my son bought a toy and of course lost it during our trip, it was the day before I was going to go home and at night. I couldn't go back to Animal Kingdom the next day before our flight because of the Park Pass to get it. CMs did a wonderful job helping me find a location that did have it, but it made it so much more complicated.

Disney themselves don't like it in all cases as it causes people to not book parks like Epcot (maybe less so now that Guardians and Remy are there) leaving them mostly empty in the morning - where normally people would go to Epcot in the morning maybe for breakfast and then walk to the other end of the park to go to MK or HS. You can't do that anymore with Park Pass and park hopping restricted to 2pm.

I really hope Park Pass is temporary and they eventually get rid of it.

I love Disney parks and always will, but I will criticize Disney when they do something wrong or obviously greedy. The US parks have a lot of issues right now that need to be addressed (the big ones being staffing and ride maintenance). I go to Universal and regional parks near me but none of them are as good as Disney IMO though I have to say Universal is catching up big time.

I know for me personally, I still really enjoy going to Disney parks. My biggest issue has been the ever increasing prices with lower value.

While I wouldn't be happy, I think I'd prefer even higher prices than today with the same or more services/perks included.

I could understand but I probably would less prefer pricing to remain the same with less value.

But the option we currently have is higher prices and less value.

I'm also not a fan of Genie+

But while all of these things are less than ideal and I'll continue to complain about them (until there is something else to complain about I guess) - I still like going to the parks.
value is a constantly moving target, and right now Disney is correct in charging more for less. People are banging down the door to go, so I just can't get bash them for it. would i love to go for less, and get more, absolutely, I'm just not going to fault them for making a sounds business decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter