In Defense of Bob Chapek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I could do a better job. The way he's handled the parks has been a low point in his job. Covid is just an excuse. Yes it causes supply issues but Disney isn't the only park dealing with that. Yet many other parks are back to where they left off before Covid.
In terms of what? if you're talking serviceability, Disney is held to a higher standard then any other park (i don't even think that can be argued). If you're talking revenue, you will need to point to where they are struggling because the last 2 quarters have been great. If your talking staffing, Disney has a lot more jobs to fill then any other park so it will take them longer to recover those roles, and get them trained to their high standards. You are correct about their stock, but stock price does not encapsulate how a company is doing, more of a guess to where they're headed. Can you please quantify your statement of what parks back to pre pandemic levels across the board, that sounds like conjecture, and just trying to stick it to Disney

In terms of what? if you're talking serviceability, Disney is held to a higher standard then any other park (i don't even think that can be argued). If you're talking revenue, you will need to point to where they are struggling because the last 2 quarters have been great. If your talking staffing, Disney has a lot more jobs to fill then any other park so it will take them longer to recover those roles, and get them trained to their high standards. You are correct about their stock, but stock price does not encapsulate how a company is doing, more of a guess to where they're headed. Can you please quantify your statement of what parks back to pre pandemic levels across the board, that sounds like conjecture, and just trying to stick it to Disney
I'm talking about operations and running their parks like they were before Covid. Yes all parks have staffing issues but for the most part are operating as they normally are. None have the ridiculous reservation system. My guess is many of you don't visit other parks much so have no idea.

I'm talking about operations and running their parks like they were before Covid. Yes all parks have staffing issues but for the most part are operating as they normally are. None have the ridiculous reservation system. My guess is many of you don't visit other parks much so have no idea.
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve gone to 3 so far this year, and they were definitely short staffed and not operating in all cylinders. The difference I could see is that I didn’t have to wait very long for service still, because there just wasn’t much demand to begin with. I think with Disneys current staffing levels, the reservation system has a purpose. I am with you that I don’t think it should last in perpetuity, it we aren’t there yet. On top of that Disney is already toying with changing that system, so who knows what it will even look like in 6months, 2,5 years

As someone who has personally met Chapek on DCL, and a veteran of large bureaucratic organizations, I have to respectfully disagree with the entire premise of this thread. Bob Chapek, especially coming from parks and experiences, is the one and only person that should be held accountable for the degradation in the quality of experience across the brand. If anyone should be able to rapidly identify issues impacting guest experiences, it would be Bob.

It sure appears (as a seasoned engineer), that Disney has cut back on the kinds of progressive maintenance that would prevent the relative increase in down times of rides and experiences. And we have noticed a reduction in cleanliness across the brand. There are easy ways to fix all these ills, but it does mean impacting near-term quarterly financials. It is also clear to me that Bob has been ensuring the board is happy with quarterly numbers to secure his next 3-year contract. This is not the same thing as what's in the brand's best interest.

I canceled our D23 Gold Membership, and in the comments stated that we would entertain rejoining when the board selects a new CEO. It's the only method I have at my level to attempt to impose some accountability on the damage to the brand I believe he has imposed.

And we are modest stockholders with a long-term investment outlook (20+ years). We believe it is not in our best interest to sacrifice long-term brand reputation for short-term stock gains or quarterly results to secure follow-on contracts for the executives.

As someone who has personally met Chapek on DCL, and a veteran of large bureaucratic organizations, I have to respectfully disagree with the entire premise of this thread. Bob Chapek, especially coming from parks and experiences, is the one and only person that should be held accountable for the degradation in the quality of experience across the brand. If anyone should be able to rapidly identify issues impacting guest experiences, it would be Bob.

It sure appears (as a seasoned engineer), that Disney has cut back on the kinds of progressive maintenance that would prevent the relative increase in down times of rides and experiences. And we have noticed a reduction in cleanliness across the brand. There are easy ways to fix all these ills, but it does mean impacting near-term quarterly financials. It is also clear to me that Bob has been ensuring the board is happy with quarterly numbers to secure his next 3-year contract. This is not the same thing as what's in the brand's best interest.

I canceled our D23 Gold Membership, and in the comments stated that we would entertain rejoining when the board selects a new CEO. It's the only method I have at my level to attempt to impose some accountability on the damage to the brand I believe he has imposed.

And we are modest stockholders with a long-term investment outlook (20+ years). We believe it is not in our best interest to sacrifice long-term brand reputation for short-term stock gains or quarterly results to secure follow-on contracts for the executives.

I'm with you, totally agree about Disney currently sacrificing the long term for short term profit and I'm not a fan of it at all - one thought here though that I've heard that I didn't consider until someone mentioned it is that the ride maintenance issues are not just due to short staffing but also due to parts shortages across the board and Disney is having a hard time obtaining the parts needed to repair certain rides. Tower of Terror was listed as one ride where parts have been hard to come by and as a result at WDW, they have been running it at half capacity for awhile (you'll notice wait times are generally very high for Tower lately).

This was also referenced as a reason why the HVAC systems aren't always working as well as you'd expect - it is due to parts availability to repair the systems. I did notice on my last trip in June, I believe it was at the Lego store in Disney Springs (I know not owned by Disney so may be different for them) but on one side of the store it felt relatively cool and the other it was hot and the AC was not blowing cold air.

I have no experience in procuring parts for theme park rides or HVAC systems so I can't say if this is true - but it sort of makes sense with the global supply shortage.

I'm with you, totally agree about Disney currently sacrificing the long term for short term profit and I'm not a fan of it at all - one thought here though that I've heard that I didn't consider until someone mentioned it is that the ride maintenance issues are not just due to short staffing but also due to parts shortages across the board and Disney is having a hard time obtaining the parts needed to repair certain rides. Tower of Terror was listed as one ride where parts have been hard to come by and as a result at WDW, they have been running it at half capacity for awhile (you'll notice wait times are generally very high for Tower lately).

This was also referenced as a reason why the HVAC systems aren't always working as well as you'd expect - it is due to parts availability to repair the systems. I did notice on my last trip in June, I believe it was at the Lego store in Disney Springs (I know not owned by Disney so may be different for them) but on one side of the store it felt relatively cool and the other it was hot and the AC was not blowing cold air.

I have no experience in procuring parts for theme park rides or HVAC systems so I can't say if this is true - but it sort of makes sense with the global supply shortage.

I work for a mechanical contractor and we have had issues getting parts which either causes delays on a job or having to order further in advance than normal. I would imagine the whole shortage may be part of the problem with controls but you only ever hear about chips when it comes to cars.

That article reads funny, Iger had regrets about handing the job over during a global pandemic, not surprising, as he put a rookie in charge, and probably felt guilty. The only other piece in there is that he didn’t like the way don’t say gay was handled, and that’s probably because he would have entrenched himself in his position one way or the other, where chaepek flip flopped. Read more like an opinion based on loose evidence then a well written highly scrutinized article

I work for a mechanical contractor and we have had issues getting parts which either causes delays on a job or having to order further in advance than normal. I would imagine the whole shortage may be part of the problem with controls but you only ever hear about chips when it comes to cars.
The supply chain across most manufacturing is in the toilet, i work for a plumbing and heating rep, and we are in the toilet for product. Controls have definitely hurt the most, but a 3-4 month wait on a lot of other basics as well. It's not surprising that Disney is running into it as well. Just one of the many things under the surface that people don't talk about

The supply chain across most manufacturing is in the toilet, i work for a plumbing and heating rep, and we are in the toilet for product. Controls have definitely hurt the most, but a 3-4 month wait on a lot of other basics as well. It's not surprising that Disney is running into it as well. Just one of the many things under the surface that people don't talk about
Supplies AND labor. There are still labor shortages especially in building, as foreign workers are still in small number. Don't forget that Universal is building an entire park a few miles away from WDW. That's sucking up a TON of the available supplies and labor in the area.

Please post the original headline from Business Insider.

Spoiler: it’s incredibly different than the blog Mickey version.
This happens on every Disney fan site lately. They are purposely doctoring articles, or just flat out writing hit pieces because they don't like Chaepek, it's borderline embarrassing, but there are a lot of people who subscribe to it so who am i

This happens on every Disney fan site lately. They are purposely doctoring articles, or just flat out writing hit pieces because they don't like Chaepek, it's borderline embarrassing, but there are a lot of people who subscribe to it so who am i
I agree and it's not just articles about Chapek. I get annoyed by a lot of these "clickbait-y" Disney fan sites that post wrong information or rumors that are stated as fact. I don't like Chapek but I would rather read a truthful article about him. I can't read the Business Insider article because it's paywalled but the headline doesn't seem to be the same as Blog Mickey's.

I agree and it's not just articles about Chapek. I get annoyed by a lot of these "clickbait-y" Disney fan sites that post wrong information or rumors that are stated as fact. I don't like Chapek but I would rather read a truthful article about him. I can't read the Business Insider article because it's paywalled but the headline doesn't seem to be the same as Blog Mickey's.
when you have to pay for something, that's typically when it's decent reporting IMO, although i typically only pull from Reuters or the AP

when you have to pay for something, that's typically when it's decent reporting IMO, although i typically only pull from Reuters or the AP
No doubt on the reporting but I think the fact that it's paywalled is going to deter a lot of people away from reading it. The clickbait-y Disney fan sites are free, so people will go read a different version of the same story there instead.

No doubt on the reporting but I think the fact that it's paywalled is going to deter a lot of people away from reading it. The clickbait-y Disney fan sites are free, so people will go read a different version of the same story there instead.
100% i feel so old saying this, but the state of the news these days haha

Please post the original headline from Business Insider.

Spoiler: it’s incredibly different than the blog Mickey version.

The original title from Business Insider is:

Former Disney CEO Bob Iger battled the company's board over succession, insiders say, and was unhappy about the transition of power to Bob Chapek​

Here is a link to it, but its behind a paywall - https://www.businessinsider.com/for...attled-board-unhappy-chapek-succession-2022-7

Some quotes from the actual Business Insider article:

Instead, according to several Disney sources and others familiar with Iger's thinking, the executive spent 2020 and 2021 watching COVID-19 devastate the company he had led for 15 years — and regretting what he has called one of his worst business decisions: the selection of Bob Chapek as his successor.

The story goes on to say that Iger wanted to have Chapek run decisions by him as Chairman of the Board so he could continue to guide and mentor Chapek but the board backed Chapek doing things without Iger's involvement.

But the story also faults Iger's inability to choose a successor.

Iger meanwhile has continued to voice his regrets. He has said he did not know that Chapek was such a "novice" when it came to handling complex issues like talent management and political battles, and that Chapek was arrogant and uninterested in other people's opinions, said the former Disney exec.

You can say these are just opinion pieces, but this isn't the only article that doesn't paint Chapek in the best light (the CNBC article being another).

The original title from Business Insider is:

Former Disney CEO Bob Iger battled the company's board over succession, insiders say, and was unhappy about the transition of power to Bob Chapek​

Here is a link to it, but its behind a paywall - https://www.businessinsider.com/for...attled-board-unhappy-chapek-succession-2022-7

Some quotes from the actual Business Insider article:

The story goes on to say that Iger wanted to have Chapek run decisions by him as Chairman of the Board so he could continue to guide and mentor Chapek but the board backed Chapek doing things without Iger's involvement.

But the story also faults Iger's inability to choose a successor.

You can say these are just opinion pieces, but this isn't the only article that doesn't paint Chapek in the best light (the CNBC article being another).
Thank you. Being unhappy with the way the transition went is wildly different than saying it was his worst business decision.

Thank you. Being unhappy with the way the transition went is wildly different than saying it was his worst business decision.

But that is in the actual article - I quoted it in my previous post. It isn't a direct quote and it is from unnamed Disney sources, but Business Insider usually has verifiable sources that they use from employees of a company.

But that is in the actual article - I quoted it in my previous post. It isn't a direct quote and it is from unnamed Disney sources, but Business Insider usually has verifiable sources that they use from employees of a company.
That is fair. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter