• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I should have bit my tounge, but couldn't

Oh, please. You tolerated the lack of tact at LEAST five aisles longer than necessary, and then you had just the right amount of assertiveness to address the problem head-on (in more than one way ;)).

She deserved MUCH worse than you said to her!

I have to agree. No one should be following anyone around unless it's a family member. You were pretty nice in my book.

I think you did a good job it's real tough sometimes and I think a small vent towards someone that clearly has no clue helps keep the blood pressure down.
I use a mobility scooter and I'm a big guy I have had my share of comments. I don't say anything most of the time but every once in a while I make a mild comment and it keeps me sane.

The best/worst one I got was someone telling me how LUCKY I am to "get" to take a dog everywhere. Oh yeah, it's a barrel of laughs. Good times, y'all. I'm so glad I can't function normally and I get to devote my time and money working around it.

I've also, multiple times, had people refer to the dog as a seeing eye dog. When I'm standing right there. Where I walked to. After I got out of my car. Which you watched me do. Yes, not only can my dog lead me through a crowd, it can drive.

I also had a mother a WDW once tell me how selfish I was being for not letting her kids pet the dog. I had politely tried to shoo them away one too many times, before finally snapping at them to get away from the dog. The mother then took it upon herself to let ME know how RUDE I am to "dare" bring a dog to WDW and expect children not to pet it.

The best/worst one I got was someone telling me how LUCKY I am to "get" to take a dog everywhere. ...Yes, not only can my dog lead me through a crowd, it can drive. ...I also had a mother a WDW once tell me how selfish I was being for not letting her kids pet the dog. .

Yeah! It's a real HOOT dealing with a disability isn't it!? Parents should never let a child approach a strange dog anyway. I know I wouldn't, at least not without permission from the owner. Wish my dog could drive.

We get the "gross" looks too. I can;t stand it when we are eating and someone will say somethng about us having a dog inside. My dog is no more "gross" then his chewing with his mouth wide open. Either way, I'm glad that some of you got a laugh at our trip to the store with the "old lady". I did run into her AGAIN the otehr day and after she saw us she would not even look in our direction so I think we made our point.

You know alot of dogs are cleaner than some children I have seen, especially when eating. Get real people :confused3

You know that makes me thingk if Forest Gump when he says "Stupid is as stupid does"

The best/worst one I got was someone telling me how LUCKY I am to "get" to take a dog everywhere. Oh yeah, it's a barrel of laughs. Good times, y'all. I'm so glad I can't function normally and I get to devote my time and money working around it.

I've also, multiple times, had people refer to the dog as a seeing eye dog. When I'm standing right there. Where I walked to. After I got out of my car. Which you watched me do. Yes, not only can my dog lead me through a crowd, it can drive.

I also had a mother a WDW once tell me how selfish I was being for not letting her kids pet the dog. I had politely tried to shoo them away one too many times, before finally snapping at them to get away from the dog. The mother then took it upon herself to let ME know how RUDE I am to "dare" bring a dog to WDW and expect children not to pet it.

Why don't people teach their children not to run over to ANYONE with a dog, not only may it be a SD, but it might be a trained killer and might eat you alive. DH likes to pet people's animals at Petsmart and I have to warn him to be cautious, you don't know what training that dog might have. I always wait until someone says it is okay to pet their animal, and know it isn't okay to pet a SD.

Suzanne

I think you did what most of us would do. Don't worry about it. My mother is legally blind and when we go out she has her cane with her always. Crossing the streets is a huge deal to her and we always go to a crosswalk, press any buttons for the walk signal, generally do everything we're supposed to do. Well, there's always one person (and sad to say more that once in awhile) that just won't stop and blows by us real fast. I usually try to ignore it, but sometimes I scream "Thanks for stopping". Some people turn and give us the finger and some just look puzzled. I have fibromyalgia also so I can't always cross as quickly as some people might like either.

Oh well, what goes around comes around I always say. Karma is out there.

Again don't worry, you did fine, you had more patience that I do, I probably would have said something sooner and my Mom might have hit her with her cane. LOL!! She can see pretty good when she's mad!!

Have a Disney Day!!

Our Dev Pedi sells shirts that say:

on the front: Take my Child for One Week

on the back: Then you can tell me how to Parent my child with Autism!

:thumbsup2

Using an ECV most of the time, this is the one comment that really ticks me off. I am generally very easy going and try to keep a great sense of humor but this one just seems to push my button. You would NEVER walk up to someone that is obviously in a wheelchair permanently and tell them how lucky they are-- why is it any difference because I am in a scooter?

"You are so lucky you get to sit down while you shop (or fill in the blank)."

"Actually I would be luckier if I could still walk to do it." has become my usual answer. I swear this comment gets more and more annoying to me each time I hear it.

I have also used "Yep, spending my entire day staring at everyone's butt is really lucky" (at an amusement park and said with a really big smile)

andl "I'll trade you! You can have my seat if I can have your feet"

Love the Autisim shirt!

I get that too! "It must be so nice to bring your dog everywhere..." Right, except not really. My dog's needs are put before my own. If she's sick, I don't go out. Oh, and not to mention making sure I have all her gear, the extra minutes it takes to unload her from the car, the potty breaks, oh, and not to mention the obnoxious children.

We've had people encourage their kids to chase Boo, like in the mall the other day. She's had her tail yanked, she's had children grab her ears and face, she's had kids stand there shrieking over and over again-- not scared, but just freaking out that there was a dog in the McDonalds. She's had children run up to her and FLING themselves over her back half and grab her fur. If the parents corrected their children I would not be so annoyed about most of these but when your four year old is running full tilt after a dog plastered with "DO NOT PET" and "DO NOT DISTRACT" patches and all you can do is calmly walk after him or her, giggling and going "Aaamy... Amy come back!" like it's the funniest thing you've ever seen? THAT is when I get aggravated.

And yeah, I love when people say she's a seeing eye dog. Granted, she does do basic guide work and obstacle avoidance because I tend to get very disoriented so she works in a vest with a guide-type handle attatched. However, I wear glasses and very obviously have great vision with them. Or "That dog is being trained to help someone." How many times I hear that and want to go "NO SHE'S NOT!"... :rotfl:

We've had people encourage their kids to chase Boo, like in the mall the other day. She's had her tail yanked, she's had children grab her ears and face, she's had kids stand there shrieking over and over again-- not scared, but just freaking out that there was a dog in the McDonalds. She's had children run up to her and FLING themselves over her back half and grab her fur. If the parents corrected their children I would not be so annoyed about most of these but when your four year old is running full tilt after a dog plastered with "DO NOT PET" and "DO NOT DISTRACT" patches and all you can do is calmly walk after him or her, giggling and going "Aaamy... Amy come back!" like it's the funniest thing you've ever seen? THAT is when I get aggravated.

My children would be so not alive if they did that. They've been trained (pun intended) that if a dog has a vest on it's a working dog. And even if it was a plain old dog without a vest, you don't touch with out permission and you so don't pull it's tail, fling over it etc. WTH is wrong with people!!!

I'm not saying my kids are perfect, but they'd so be in trouble.

My oldest son will jump in front of the dog and make a barrier of himself and scream "Don't pet him! He's a service dog!" A little over aggressive at times... like the poor woman in the bathroom who just smiled at him but didn't make a sound or any motion to come near.

Yes, I get all the time that's he's in training, or that he's a puppy. Now, he's full dang grown thank you very much. He looks young and he's relatively small for his breed. Now, the female being trained IS in training and IS a puppy. Crossed with a rabbit I am beginning to think.

I body-block a lot of the time too. I'm fortunate in that my dog will follow a sweeping finger as a directional command so I can gesture her where I want her to go, and she'll be there-- I can move her silently between me and a counter or shelf I'm standing in front of and sit her down so in order to reach her, you'd really have to get up close and personal with me. :rotfl:

One of the first things we taught our kids right after never approach a strange dog without asking the owners permission was what a service dog was and that they were 100% ALWAYS hands off. We have had to expand this to include any other "working dog" since our airports, courthouses, etc all have drug/bomb sniffing dogs in them working most of the time.

My oldest son did have some service dogs in his SPED classes, and we frequently have seen them while we were out so we have had lots of opportunities to teach this

Using an ECV most of the time, this is the one comment that really ticks me off. I am generally very easy going and try to keep a great sense of humor but this one just seems to push my button. You would NEVER walk up to someone that is obviously in a wheelchair permanently and tell them how lucky they are-- why is it any difference because I am in a scooter?
I get this as well. My answer is usually is "No you don't. I'd much rather be able to do the walking."

I think these people just aren't thinking. Why would you use an ECV if you could walk the parks without it.

I get this as well. My answer is usually is "No you don't. I'd much rather be able to do the walking."

I think these people just aren't thinking. Why would you use an ECV if you could walk the parks without it.

Unfortunately for those who need ECV's or wheelchairs, there are always people who just rent them to try and cut lines, then brag about it. Someone posted once about a group who rented a chair, then took turns riding in it so they cou go in the handicapped entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter