• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I should have bit my tounge, but couldn't

Unfortunately for those who need ECV's or wheelchairs, there are always people who just rent them to try and cut lines, then brag about it. Someone posted once about a group who rented a chair, then took turns riding in it so they cou go in the handicapped entrance.

You know, I hear this all the time but I really can't believe that after using it for an hour or two (no matter who was riding) they would continue. I think that just an hour in a Disney park would make them realize just how difficult it is to get around in one, how slow you end up going, how you are cut off from the rest of your friends and family so really can't talk to them or enjoy being with them, how hard it is to get through "traffic" and of course, that there really are no handicapped entrances (with only a few exceptions). Not to mention that lovely butt view!

I do completely believe that some may try it, and have fun showboating in it for a while, but I think the majority would end up abandoning that scooter pretty quick and either go back for it later or just return it right then. (is there a deposit you have to leave for a Disney ECV or can you just leave it in a stroller parking area and walk off?) Particularly if they are all able bodied and really want to enjoy their time at the parks with friends and family.

And every time someone complains about a scooter pulling up to a bus just as it pulls in-- so they didn't wait, I would be willing to bet that same scooter user and family/friends have waited on other many other buses for cycles of 3 and maybe 4 or more to get one that they could actually get on. I really don't think that the able bodied would be willing to pass up a bus they could all fit onto walking to wait another 30-60 minutes (yes, I have waited that long) so they could get their bogus scooter on to it if they rented from offsite.

I am an optimistic person and do believe in the best in humanity (and seen a lot of that best at Disney). I have yet to encounter anyone in an ECV that looked like they were doing it just for fun. In fact by mid day they all look as frustrated as I am feeling!

It is funny but I think it was Sue that posted somewhere her about how mentally demanding it is to use an ECV and I realized I had never really thought about that. While I may not be as physically tired at the end of the day as my family I am just as exhausted, and I think it is because of the mental energy that has to go in to trying to get around and make sure no one gets hurt and when you get to a ride you have to figure out where to park and how to park and then where is it when you get off the ride, where did you put the key, etc... There is a lot more thought that goes on than those that are just blindly walking around (and stepping in front of us;) ) and getting in line and jumping on the ride, getting off and running out to get to the next one.

You know, I hear this all the time but I really can't believe that after using it for an hour or two (no matter who was riding) they would continue. I think that just an hour in a Disney park would make them realize just how difficult it is to get around in one, how slow you end up going, how you are cut off from the rest of your friends and family so really can't talk to them or enjoy being with them, how hard it is to get through "traffic" and of course, that there really are no handicapped entrances (with only a few exceptions). Not to mention that lovely butt view!

I do completely believe that some may try it, and have fun showboating in it for a while, but I think the majority would end up abandoning that scooter pretty quick and either go back for it later or just return it right then. (is there a deposit you have to leave for a Disney ECV or can you just leave it in a stroller parking area and walk off?) Particularly if they are all able bodied and really want to enjoy their time at the parks with friends and family.

And every time someone complains about a scooter pulling up to a bus just as it pulls in-- so they didn't wait, I would be willing to bet that same scooter user and family/friends have waited on other many other buses for cycles of 3 and maybe 4 or more to get one that they could actually get on. I really don't think that the able bodied would be willing to pass up a bus they could all fit onto walking to wait another 30-60 minutes (yes, I have waited that long) so they could get their bogus scooter on to it if they rented from offsite.

I am an optimistic person and do believe in the best in humanity (and seen a lot of that best at Disney). I have yet to encounter anyone in an ECV that looked like they were doing it just for fun. In fact by mid day they all look as frustrated as I am feeling!

It is funny but I think it was Sue that posted somewhere her about how mentally demanding it is to use an ECV and I realized I had never really thought about that. While I may not be as physically tired at the end of the day as my family I am just as exhausted, and I think it is because of the mental energy that has to go in to trying to get around and make sure no one gets hurt and when you get to a ride you have to figure out where to park and how to park and then where is it when you get off the ride, where did you put the key, etc... There is a lot more thought that goes on than those that are just blindly walking around (and stepping in front of us;) ) and getting in line and jumping on the ride, getting off and running out to get to the next one.
Yep, it was me.

When we go out with my DD in her power wheelchair, I can see how tired she gets from all the attention that is required. She usually ends up after a while asking me to drive for her
(I have to say myself that I am a pretty good driver - with both my right and left hand. But, she has a attendant control, which is basically a smaller joystick on the back of the wheelchair. I am not good at that at all. I have run over my foot using it and usually run into things.)

On our last trip to WDW, DH was waiting for me by the ECV stroller rental area about 10 am. He heard someone complaining because there were not any ECVs left to rent. The CM said to wait a few minutes and some would likely be turned in, and that was correct.
Those might be some of the people who rented one expecting it to get them to the front of lines and then discovered it was not the 'advantage' they thought it would be.

Here's another one for being "lucky" for having the dog. I do have to say though even when people tell their children the dog is in training or say a dog is assisting in a way they're not, I still think it's better than telling them "no the dog will bite you" or "yeah go right ahead and pet it!" like we used to run into when we had our first dog like 15 years ago. I'm also a user of the body block. The only kids that were ever really allowed to just approach and we would reprimand were handicap children and most of those situations were where the parent or adult with them would approach and say "oh my daughter just loves dogs and thinks they're all hers" as opposed to them making a break for it. We met a young girl (probably 9 or 10) at the mall once who was wearing a helmet and was non verbal. She beelined for the dog and we weren't in a hurry so we stopped by a bench and she got right on the floor with him and held him like a teddy bear, and the dog loved every minute of it, giving her kisses, it was very sweet to watch.

On the opposite end of the spectrum there was a girl who was probably about 15, all tarted up at the mall when we were in a store and she pet him once, I asked her to stop. Twice, I told her to stop. Third time, I got in her face and said "cupcake if you touch that dog again you're gonna have a problem"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter