• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BARCLAY ARRIVAL PLUS 70,000 PT OFFER (via DoC)
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclay-arrival-70000-point-sign-up-bonus-with-annual-fee-wavied/

This one piques my interest. 70,000 points after $5k MSR (vs. standard offer of 60,000 points after $3k MSR). Annual fee is waived!

70k bonus points + 10k points from MSR = 80,000 points. They also give you a 5% points bonus back after you redeem points. This is worth > $800 at a 16%+ return! DoC says app links may not be live yet, but will be soon... Read DoC's post with full details and info on Barclays "6/24" rule that may be in place.
And the updated offer is still not there...I was thinking this might be a good one for my PNC bank funding...

ETA: It's available now :)

Last edited:
That's just how I operate with them. I always take an optimistic viewpoint though...the $95 and $135 isn't a poor points use, It's a GREAT cash deal!

I agree, but I also like to add it in the taxes before I pay points or cash.

we booked a Homewood Suites at 30k pts per night because we love the property and the location. There were other properties available for 20k and 25k points per night that cost more in cash so oooooh my cpp would've been better but I didn't give it a 2nd thought because why would I settle for a lesser property (based on my criteria) just to brag about fake points value (cpp). LOL!

Exactly! This is so true and I often have to rethink to do what is best for my family. Eventually I get there. It's sort of like oceanfront or 2 streets back. I love to wake up 'looking' at the ocean but often will think of how much money I could save by taking a morning walk to the water's edge instead. $500 versus $250? $250 wins. 50K points versus 30K points? 50K wins! I don't mind spending points for upgrades. I've only stayed at Homewood once in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina as it was the hotel near the wedding that everyone was booked into. It was really nice with a very good breakfast.

70k bonus points + 10k points from MSR = 80,000 points. They also give you a 5% points bonus back after you redeem points. This is worth > $800 at a 16%+ return!

My math gives me $840.....are you not adding that 5% rebate?

I had to call Amex this morning about my gold card approval.

First of - I applied while sitting in my living room waiting for AAA as my vehicle wouldn't start. I suspected battery as I'm no novice to vehicle problems and I was correct. AAA had dispatched the battery truck based on my assertions, so the guy was out there changing it out when I decided to apply, so that I could put the cost of the battery on it.

I was approved instantly and got the number, CID and expiration. So I walk out and asked the guy could he do the charge without the card in hand. He said he would try. It was easy and he emailed me my receipt. I needlessly explained to him that I had just applied for the card while he was fixing the battery and he said, 'I had a credit card once, but had to get rid of it.' Young guy, so he has time left in his life to make good choices.

Anyway, not sure if 3 minutes after approval is a new record for charging something or not while at home.

But, the reason for my call: I wanted the rose colored card! And I woke up thinking that I didn't remember choosing the color option. I had self referred for the $100 statement credit and was trying to do this quickly so as to capture some of the minimum spend with the purchase.

Sure enough, the gold colored card is on its way. But Amex has now dispatched the new rose colored one after my call. And, I completed my spend this morning, after paying 3 bills that had arrived in the last couple of days for insurances. What I was waiting on before applying!

Anyway, DOC and SFF are making me want a Barclay's card. How do you redeem Barclay's points? Is this by statement credit? I'll be under 6/24 fairly soon, so have a little time to decide.

My Chase dreams keep getting pushed into the distance, but I'm not caring a whole lot. All the FOMO mostly comes from reading on here and now its usually not as FOMO inducing since Disney is non existent, although I did see BCV on the UR site yesterday but of course with nothing available. I searched 'Lake Buena Vista' and most of the Disney Springs hotels came up, but only a small handful were bookable. I also only have one UR earner, my CF.

My math gives me $840.....are you not adding that 5% rebate?

Anyway, DOC and SFF are making me want a Barclay's card. How do you redeem Barclay's points? Is this by statement credit? I'll be under 6/24 fairly soon, so have a little time to decide.
I was saying > $800 at a 16%+ Return. While the math says $840, the 5% rebate comes back after you've redeemed points. AND you have to redeem points against travel charges. And the travel charge and point redemption must be a minimum of $100 and 10,000 points. Therefore, it can be very hard to hit the "optimal" redemption and you may end up with "orphan" points. At any rate, anybody should get at least $800 value out of this signup and you could get up to $835 if you did everything perfect and only left 500 orphan points. Of course this all assumes you sock-drawer the card after you hit the MSR (but to me it's not worth using for everyday spend as there are much better cards out there - including just a simple 2% back card).

This article does a good job explaining it from DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/arrivals-2-1-2-card-better/

I'm looking at going for the Plat 100k offer that I have on card match. My plan is to get it today and add DH as a free Gold AU since I need him to have a copy to help with MSR and he still doesn't seem open to more cards so I'm not concerned on his 5/24 (he's only 2/24 anyway) plus we can hopefully both use the GE credits.

I have some JetBlue flights next month where I will need to pay for the bags. Not sure if it's worth setting my airline to them and only using $60 of the airline credit since gift cards don't count for JetBlue.

The Plat will put me at 4/24 but there really aren't any more Chase cards I am interested in. My stats are:

1/18 - CSP (1/24)
4/18 - SPG Personal (2/24)
5/18 - CIC (2/24)
6/18 - Hilton Biz (2/24)
8/18 - CIP (2/24)
10/18 - SW Priority (3/24)

My hope is to downgrade CSP to a freedom when my first year is up and then sweet talk DH into getting the CSR. Then I want the new Amex Gold and after that no plans!

Not true:
Chf3R8C.jpg

“spend a minimum of $300+ in one or more transactions.” I’ve already completed 3x $100 trips stacked with SB, and got the “Great news! You just used your Amex Offer for $30.00 cash back at Best Buy” email immediately after my third trip. I’m working on DW’s card now, also doing 3x $100 with SB.

Oh good. well let me add 6 trips to Best Buy back into my calendar.:p

BARCLAY ARRIVAL PLUS 70,000 PT OFFER (via DoC)
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclay-arrival-70000-point-sign-up-bonus-with-annual-fee-wavied/

This one piques my interest. 70,000 points after $5k MSR (vs. standard offer of 60,000 points after $3k MSR). Annual fee is waived!

70k bonus points + 10k points from MSR = 80,000 points. They also give you a 5% points bonus back after you redeem points. This is worth > $800 at a 16%+ return! DoC says app links may not be live yet, but will be soon... Read DoC's post with full details and info on Barclays "6/24" rule that may be in place.

I see where it says for travel or cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Redeeming miles for travel statement credits offers the best value.
So they have a portal like chase? Disney on there by chance? Or do you transfer to airlines/hotels?

Ugh! Besides a new iPad, DS11 has asked for exactly nothing for Christmas. Our tree is going to look very empty this year. Plus we don’t even have the distraction of being in the Caribbean in this year :( Now to find some gifts to help with my AmEx MSR.

It is hard when they get to the age that the expensive electronic takes up practically the whole Christmas budget for them. Maybe some $5-10 GCs he'd like. Wrap individually in varying size boxes?

I don't mind spending points for upgrades. I've only stayed at Homewood once in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina as it was the hotel near the wedding that everyone was booked into. It was really nice with a very good breakfast.

Thats where I am from!! And trying to move back to! When we go back to visit family we stay at the Hilton Garden. Going there again this week. Maybe I should switch to the Homewood.:rolleyes1 I think it is further down 17 though, and I like to be right by the bridge. Let me investigate...

I see where it says for travel or cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Redeeming miles for travel statement credits offers the best value.
So they have a portal like chase? Disney on there by chance? Or do you transfer to airlines/hotels?
Barclaycard is similar to Capital One, you can get statement credits to offset travel purchases. Very easy.

This one works like an eraser. You have to have a $100+ travel charge post and have 10,000+ points and then you can just erase the charge (ie statement credit).

It is hard when they get to the age that the expensive electronic takes up practically the whole Christmas budget for them. Maybe some $5-10 GCs he'd like. Wrap individually in varying size boxes?
Ha, if only that was his Christmas gift. DH promised it for getting an "A" in ELA but I don't know what will happen now since he ended up with a "B." I do have some iTunes GCs put aside for his stocking. I might just re-wrap some of his unopened Lego sets so there are gifts under the tree :)

Speaking about best buy, if u buy through samsung pay, its 30% cash back. says excludes gift cards though but if u have something u want to buy, thats a nice chunk off.

Ha, if only that was his Christmas gift. DH promised it for getting an "A" in ELA but I don't know what will happen now since he ended up with a "B." I do have some iTunes GCs put aside for his stocking. I might just re-wrap some of his unopened Lego sets so there are gifts under the tree :)

My DS16 has never asked for anything in his life. He is impossible to buy for. Never liked legos or any of the usual toys, he is pretty much a dud. lol Every year I say I am just going to rewrap presents that he has never opened.

Advice needed on next move.

Me:
CSP: 6/18
SW Biz: 9/18
SW Plus: 10/18

DH:
SW Plus: 3/18
SW Biz: 8/18
CIP: 11/18

So I am up next. Ultimate goal is more URs for possible Caribbean trip in Oct 2019. Original plan was CIP for me in January. But I'm wondering if I should take a break from Chase for this next card. I like low to no annual fees so this Arrival offers interests me. We need to buy Universal tickets for our March trip yet. We could use the Arrival Plus points for that, saving URs for October. We are still working on MSR for P2 CIP and I already have gift cards that will be good for most Christmas presents and prepaid a few bills through next June to get through the SW Plus and Biz. We have already both done PNC. I've been trying to find other bank bonuses that can fund with a credit card, but not finding anything more than $500. I do still have a spot for P2 Associated Bank $1200 credit card funding, but it did not go through on my SW Biz for me so I can't count on that. I am considering paying my property taxes in January with a credit card to help meet MSR. The county charges 2.39% so $91 for my $3800 tax bill. Usually I don't pay fees to pay with a credit card, but feel like it may be worth it to almost knock out a MSR.

So I guess the choices are wait until January for CIP or get Arrival, and if so when? Or something different? Thanks for any advise!

Advice needed on next move.

Me:
CSP: 6/18
SW Biz: 9/18
SW Plus: 10/18

DH:
SW Plus: 3/18
SW Biz: 8/18
CIP: 11/18

So I am up next. Ultimate goal is more URs for possible Caribbean trip in Oct 2019. Original plan was CIP for me in January. But I'm wondering if I should take a break from Chase for this next card. I like low to no annual fees so this Arrival offers interests me. We need to buy Universal tickets for our March trip yet. We could use the Arrival Plus points for that, saving URs for October. We are still working on MSR for P2 CIP and I already have gift cards that will be good for most Christmas presents and prepaid a few bills through next June to get through the SW Plus and Biz. We have already both done PNC. I've been trying to find other bank bonuses that can fund with a credit card, but not finding anything more than $500. I do still have a spot for P2 Associated Bank $1200 credit card funding, but it did not go through on my SW Biz for me so I can't count on that. I am considering paying my property taxes in January with a credit card to help meet MSR. The county charges 2.39% so $91 for my $3800 tax bill. Usually I don't pay fees to pay with a credit card, but feel like it may be worth it to almost knock out a MSR.

So I guess the choices are wait until January for CIP or get Arrival, and if so when? Or something different? Thanks for any advise!

why do u have 4 SW cards in the family? haha.
Id do the CSR/CSP double dip for DH while u still can. 8k minimum spends though.

Speaking about best buy, if u buy through samsung pay, its 30% cash back. says excludes gift cards though but if u have something u want to buy, thats a nice chunk off.
Have you done any of their cashback deals? I was curious how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter