I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! That does sound easy. Do the VGCs have any of the issues activating that the MCGCs have? I bought one from Staples and had to make 7-8 phone calls to get it working. Never doing that again!
i have quite a few visa gc's I'm using...no issues at the register with any of them(i went online and registered them to my zip code) my only problem is I want to buy more but have no funds to do it at the moment

So having gotten the BGR last Friday do I need to wait the 90 days before applying for Biz Plat (assuming I have made the spend and the 100k with 10k spend offer I can still manage to get)? Or is the 90 day limit just with credit cards and not charge? A triple dip on the credit is enticing for sure!

As for the airline credit on the Biz Plat it is not for tickets or taxes on miles tickets? Just for other flight upgrades and expenses? Or on Delta gift cards if done in $50 increments?

Look at me...I haven’t even started the BGR spend and am trying to figure out how to get Biz Plat too. I am channeling @speedyfishy! :)

@kmc8826 ...as usual I'm running late with a reply but I'll chime in. No limit on charge cards (I have um...5:o), and the 90 day rule doesn't apply (I self referred for the BGR, was approved and then waited 5 days I think for the Biz Green).

With the airline credit, I've bought DL gift cards in increments of $50 to trigger the charge as well as receiving (unexpectedly) the credit when I used Pay with Miles for part of a ticket then paid for the remainder. It also triggers for the taxes when you pay completely with miles. Honestly taxes and pay with miles remainder have worked out better than gift cards since Delta will only allow you to use ONE gc when booking (or if there's a workaround I haven't found it) so in the past I've just sold them.

As you know I :love:my Amex Platinum Biz so the $200 credit is just another perk!

@Lain
Bummer about the CIP and travel packages. We have the FUL with the one year 3x points promo and its been awesome using with Plastiq so I feel your pain. I tried to book a category 6 package and it became such a PITA I took it as a sign to just let it go. Glad I did. Hope people are able to apply those certs for what they want.

We took a 5 night trip to Hershey and Mystic, CT. We already hit the 5K spending on my SPG biz so I convinced DH to get one before the new restrictions hit. Instant approval I love the ease with AMEX. We still have the BGR MSR so will work on that until his card arrives.

I was all set for next plan which was CIP when I become 4/24 in the fall. BUT our HELOC hit our credit report and CreditWise and CreditJourney have it as a new account. So I’m won’t drop below 5/24 until the spring and neither will DH. I’m so bummed!!!

1. Awesome move on the 3x UR CFU. That’ll keep Plastiq 3x alive for you a little longer. I really debated jumping on it in the spring, if only for Plastiq. CIP was still coding Plastiq at 3x, but who knew for how long. There was going to be some overlap where one or the other card wouldn’t be used, and I couldn’t justify it in my mind. Now I’m bogged down with all these Amex MSRs anyway, so neither card would’ve seen much use for the next few months. That offer didn’t last long either! Glad you’ll be earning 3x until April or May of next year.

2. Congratulations on the SPG Biz.
pixiedust::cheer2:party::cheer2:pixiedust:
Really do love how easy Amex makes it! Any thought whether you’ll go for the SPG Lux? But it’ll add a card to your 5/24, and it looks like you’re trying to get back under for the CIP.

3. Your HELOC shouldn’t count against 5/24. Chase is looking for new credit/charge card accounts opened in the last 24 months.

@kmc8826 ...as usual I'm running late with a reply but I'll chime in. No limit on charge cards (I have um...5:o), and the 90 day rule doesn't apply (I self referred for the BGR, was approved and then waited 5 days I think for the Biz Green).

With the airline credit, I've bought DL gift cards in increments of $50 to trigger the charge as well as receiving (unexpectedly) the credit when I used Pay with Miles for part of a ticket then paid for the remainder. It also triggers for the taxes when you pay completely with miles. Honestly taxes and pay with miles remainder have worked out better than gift cards since Delta will only allow you to use ONE gc when booking (or if there's a workaround I haven't found it) so in the past I've just sold them.

As you know I :love:my Amex Platinum Biz so the $200 credit is just another perk!

I knew you’d come in with the harrowing details of surviving Delta with the Biz Plat. :flower3:

That's what I did with my Staples MCGCs that I got 10% back on AMEX offers; I happily transfered those funds over to Costco cash cards effectively getting 10% off at Costco. I did have problems with the MCGC, not as much as @wendow, but it took a couple of phone calls so I guess I got lucky on that. The question is, do I feel lucky in doing it again?? (Staples has them now for no fee online, limit 3.)

Little bit of a funny story about those, DH went to Costco with two Costco cash cards, one with $100 (purchased with the Staples MC), and another with $43. The total came to just under $100 so DH thought it would be clever to use the $100 cash card -- leaving $.83 cents on it. So now I have two cash cards, one with less than a $1 on it. :rolleyes2 If it had been me, I'd have used up the $43 card and then paid the rest on the $100 card, so that I just have one cash card to keep track of. I'm going to make him carry the $.83 card around in his wallet. :snooty:

That is really good news. They just needed to get enough backlash, I guess, to do the right thing. smh They took a gamble to be greedy and stick it to us at the risk of losing faith with their customers. Bad gamble, now the sour taste is left.
is there a benefit to buying cash cards with the vgc? I have just been using the vgc as is..since I don't always shop costco I figured it was more versatile

You are not late! As far as airline credit that is exactly what I was wondering. The taxes on miles tickets is specifically what I was thinking about since as of late for the trips to MCO it has been three fares with all miles and then two with a companion certificate. I know from past experience using the gift cards with Delta is a bit of a pain. Basically I am trying to not regret getting the BGR and instead focus on meeting the spend and then attempting to get Biz Plat too!

is there a benefit to buying cash cards with the vgc? I have just been using the vgc as is..since I don't always shop costco I figured it was more versatile

No. But if the deal is for MasterCard gift cards (MCGC), you can’t use MCGCs in store at Costco, but you can online, so you can use MCGCs to buy Costco Cash cards online to use in-store or at the Costco gas station.

(I guess if you intend to use VGCs to pay for Costco gas, you’ll need to buy a Costco Cash card too, since you can’t easily use VGCs at the pump because of the preauthorization hold on the funds.)

1. Awesome move on the 3x UR CFU. That’ll keep Plastiq 3x alive for you a little longer. I really debated jumping on it in the spring, if only for Plastiq. CIP was still coding Plastiq at 3x, but who knew for how long. There was going to be some overlap where one or the other card wouldn’t be used, and I couldn’t justify it in my mind. Now I’m bogged down with all these Amex MSRs anyway, so neither card would’ve seen much use for the next few months. That offer didn’t last long either! Glad you’ll be earning 3x until April or May of next year.

Really do love how easy Amex makes it! Any thought whether you’ll go for the SPG Lux? But it’ll add a card to your 5/24, and it looks like you’re trying to get back under for the CIP.

3. Your HELOC shouldn’t count against 5/24. Chase is looking for new credit/charge card accounts opened in the last 24 months.

The main reason I went for the CFU is that my DH couldn’t keep straight what cards to use where so it just made things easier. It also came with a year of no interest and we are dipping our toes in some home improvements (hence the HELOC) so that has been awesome as well.

You are not late! As far as airline credit that is exactly what I was wondering. The taxes on miles tickets is specifically what I was thinking about since as of late for the trips to MCO it has been three fares with all miles and then two with a companion certificate. I know from past experience using the gift cards with Delta is a bit of a pain. Basically I am trying to not regret getting the BGR and instead focus on meeting the spend and then attempting to get Biz Plat too!

The taxes/fees are my plan with Delta and my Biz Platinum airline credit. I did get a gift card, too since I don't think I will have $200 in fees before the end of the year (we have our flights booked for all planned travel at this point). Thinking of using the gift cards for C+ upgrades for a flight if the price is right. I may be regretting getting the CIP and Biz Platinum with overlapping MS periods, but I am hoping it won't be too bad. I am always glad to hear your plans as it is a challenge to figure out best strategies as a Delta hostage in a sea of SW companion pass users!

I knew you’d come in with the harrowing details of surviving Delta with the Biz Plat. :flower3:

:rotfl2:I almost spit out my diet dr pepper!

Glad I could help :) Don't regret 75,000 MRs! The Plat will still be around-nothing says you can't get it near the end of the year and double or triple dip; although honestly it's a keeper card for me.

Thanks! I'm looking at either the CSR or CSP for him fir the first card. Sort of leaning toward the R. I'd like to end up with a card to use on the actual trip that you can reimburse yourself with points, so like Barclays or Cap One Venture. Or would the Disney card be better for that?
I have the Capital one venture card and use it for some of my travel expenses(mostly car rentals). You'll get a $500(I think) cash value bonus when you sign up for either Cap 1 or Barclays. You could include BOA premium travel rewards in the same category. With the Cap 1 card, you earn 2 points per dollar spent. You can use those to "erase" hotel charges at Disney. With the Disney card, you'll only earn 1%. So, if you're looking at something to use to erase charges, I'd go with Cap 1 over Disney.

My Marriott app shows I've been downgraded back to Gold Elite. Any reason not to merge my Marriott and SPG accounts now? And just which number will I use for my SPG Lux app in ~2 days?

Somehow it wouldn’t let me finish my post....
I will really have FOMO about the SPG Lux. But between the MSR I got going (10k) and not wanting to add more to 5/24 I’m passing. I may upgrade my SPG if I can because I might be able to use the $300 credit x2 but if they are going to faze out the regular SPG then I won’t be able to downgrade again and I’m not sure the $450 fee without x2 $300 credits would be worth it to keep indefinitely anyways.
I thought that about HELOCS too but it’s showing as a new account in both CreditWise and Credit Journey and it’s through Santander so I’m not sure they will differentiate it?? I guess I could just try come the fall and see what happens??

My Marriott app shows I've been downgraded back to Gold Elite. Any reason not to merge my Marriott and SPG accounts now? And just which number will I use for my SPG Lux app in ~2 days?
I had issues with my SPG biz not showing the account. I SMd amex they said after the 22nd it should all be linked and sorted out. I used my SPG number for mine but DHs marriot for his...

Somehow it wouldn’t let me finish my post....
I will really have FOMO about the SPG Lux. But between the MSR I got going (10k) and not wanting to add more to 5/24 I’m passing. I may upgrade my SPG if I can because I might be able to use the $300 credit x2 but if they are going to faze out the regular SPG then I won’t be able to downgrade again and I’m not sure the $450 fee without x2 $300 credits would be worth it to keep indefinitely anyways.
I thought that about HELOCS too but it’s showing as a new account in both CreditWise and Credit Journey and it’s through Santander so I’m not sure they will differentiate it?? I guess I could just try come the fall and see what happens??

Credit Journey is... inaccurate. It told me I'm 3/24. I'm not. Have you tried Credit Karma? It's free, and it has a separate credit card section that is more reflective of what you'd find on your actual credit reports.

What are you doing drinking soda at 8:50 in the morning?

LOL! We're on Central Time and I've been hitting the caffeine since about 6:30! I don't drink coffee so sadly diet dr pepper is my addiction. Adding to my need for caffeine, I have to fast all day (but it's allowed) so instead of breakfast, I had an extra :rolleyes:. It's funny how hungry you get when you know you can't eat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter