I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MikeRes - Welcome to DISchurners! Normally I send a welcome message via PM but you don't have enough posts on the DIS to PM yet...so I'll just put the welcome message here for all to see (I think that's useful from time to time :))
Welcome to DISchurners!

You're approved and all set! Access the main page here.

As a reminder most of the discussion does happen here on the boards. On r/DISchurners you can post your own support links and/or use others' support links here:
And of course there's other info there too including some of our best tips from the thread that you might want to explore! Welcome, thanks for joining!
If anybody else wants to join just send @SouthFayetteFan, @Lain and/or @Albort a PM here on the DIS.

Anyone know when the typical bonus points (dollars) post for the Disney card referral? If the person applied today, any idea on when I can expect to see it? I remember seeing something about a Tuesday afternoon but I don't remember the details.

It depends on where you are in your billing cycle. Mine took about 5 weeks. I was near the end of a cycle when my ref was used but it didn’t post right away. Had to wait through the whole next cycle before I saw points.

You’re thinking like a churner.

There’s a lot of value to an Amex Platinum in the first year because, yes, the personal carries a $550 AF and the business has a $450 AF, but the Platinums offer a $200/calendar year airline fee credit that most of us end up using to buy AA, Delta, or Southwest gift cards, or you could use it for actual incidental fees. Because this airline credit is a calendar year benefit, you can redeem $200 worth almost as soon as you get the card until the end of this year, and redeem another $200 worth as soon as January 1, 2019 rolls around. That’s arguably $400 just from the airline fee credit from paying one AF. (If you get a Plat now, the AF would post at the end of your first statement but the second year AF wouldn’t post until about September 2019.) You’d “double dip” (used in a different context) the airline fee credit benefit in the first year, and you could decide to cancel the Plat when the AF hits for the second year.

Here’s where another MR card like the BBP comes in. If you think you’ll cancel the Plat, and it’s your only MR card, the BBP is a good option to open before you close the Plat, because the BBP has no AF and will keep your MRs from the Plat alive.

As for timing, some people prefer to open the Plats towards the end of the year, like in mid- to late-November or December because it allows them the potential to “triple dip” the $200 airline fee credit and thus extract $600 in value from one AF. So for example, (1) you’d use the $200 as soon as you got the card in the later part of November or December 2018 (your first year AF would post in December 2018 or January 2019), (2) you’d use the $200 again in January 2019, and you’d use the $200 again in January 2020 (your second year AF would post again in December 2019 or January 2020, but you have 30 days of the closing date of the statement on which the fee posts to cancel the card for a full refund of the second year AF).

The risk is a 100k offer may not be available when you want to apply at the end of the year.

Another consideration is the Biz Plat offers a 35% rebate on MR points used in Pay With Points to book paid business or first-class flights on any airline, or economy flights on the one airline of your choice (the same airline you chose for the airline fee credit). So if you plan to make any paid airline redemptions through Amex, it might make sense to time holding the Biz Plat to that redemption. (Again this is for flights paid for with points. You don’t need the Biz Plat to transfer MR points to airline partners.)

So having gotten the BGR last Friday do I need to wait the 90 days before applying for Biz Plat (assuming I have made the spend and the 100k with 10k spend offer I can still manage to get)? Or is the 90 day limit just with credit cards and not charge? A triple dip on the credit is enticing for sure!

As for the airline credit on the Biz Plat it is not for tickets or taxes on miles tickets? Just for other flight upgrades and expenses? Or on Delta gift cards if done in $50 increments?

Look at me...I haven’t even started the BGR spend and am trying to figure out how to get Biz Plat too. I am channeling @speedyfishy! :)

Awesome...forwarding the link now...

Good luck to your dd!! My dd is hoping for fall but we were told that 1) you almost always get denied the first time you apply, so apply for spring if you want fall, vice versa and 2) more people want fall so chances are better for a spring acceptance. You may know all that but throwing it out jic :)

So having gotten the BGR last Friday do I need to wait the 90 days before applying for Biz Plat (assuming I have made the spend and the 100k with 10k spend offer I can still manage to get)? Or is the 90 day limit just with credit cards and not charge? A triple dip on the credit is enticing for sure!

As for the airline credit on the Biz Plat it is not for tickets or taxes on miles tickets? Just for other flight upgrades and expenses? Or on Delta gift cards if done in $50 increments?

Look at me...I haven’t even started the BGR spend and am trying to figure out how to get Biz Plat too. I am channeling @speedyfishy! :)

Amex’s 2/90 timing rule applies to only credit cards. There’s no limit on Amex’s charge cards like the BGR and Biz Plat.

The $200 airline fee credit that’s available on the Biz Plat (and other Platinum flavors, except the Ameriprise), $100 on the PRG (I think I might’ve mistakenly told you the BGR had this credit too; it doesn’t), and $250 on the Hilton Aspire is technically supposed to apply only to incidental fees like checked baggage fees, itinerary change fees, pet fees, seat assignment fees, in-flight amenities and entertainment. It’s not supposed to apply to tickets, although there are scattered DPs that low cost tickets, say under $100 may inadvertently trigger the credit. What works is buying gift cards on Delta (in $50 increments in different transactions), American (in $100 increments in different transactions), and Southwest (a single transaction up to $250 works) if you’ve selected to use your credit on these airlines.

Amex’s 2/90 timing rule applies to only credit cards. There’s no limit on Amex’s charge cards like the BGR and Biz Plat.

The $200 airline fee credit that’s available on the Biz Plat (and other Platinum flavors, except the Ameriprise), $100 on the PRG (I think I might’ve mistakenly told you the BGR had this credit too; it doesn’t), and $250 on the Hilton Aspire is technically supposed to apply only to incidental fees like checked baggage fees, itinerary change fees, pet fees, seat assignment fees, in-flight amenities and entertainment. It’s not supposed to apply to tickets, although there are scattered DPs that low cost tickets, say under $100 may inadvertently trigger the credit. What works is buying gift cards on Delta (in $50 increments in different transactions), American (in $100 increments in different transactions), and Southwest (a single transaction up to $250 works) if you’ve selected to use your credit on these airlines.
Just checking, you can also have unlimited Amex charge cards and only 5 Amex credit cards?

Hey guys, quick question. So my BF F applied for the Marriott Biz with a legit business and they were being ridiculous about her documentation to prove it. Her issue was that she used the business name as sole prop and only some of her state documents have business name, others just use her name. One phone call to provide the info where the agent was terribly rude and accused her of providing fraudulent info, the next call where they told her to fax X documents which she went in to a branch to do in person, and now they just sent her a letter stating she again needs to send documentation because the fax was illegible.

She's wondering if she should just scrap this ridiculousness and reapply as sole proprietor with her name only? It's been about 3 weeks since the original application. Thoughts?

Well thats better

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-travel-packages-refunds/

ETA: I am going to ask about upgrading and worst case is they just say no. In that case I will probably just cancel and take the refund on the stay portion. I don't think I can really use a cat 1-5 cert for a week somewhere.

I am wanting to upgrade also as my first choice. What cat are you wanting to go up to?

Wait, am I missing something? Maybe my math is wrong but it seems like a terrible deal still, right? Even with my hotel dropping from 40k to 35k a night I'm still getting hosed. For my Hawaii trip planned in April here is what it looked like before they crushed my hopes and dreams:
Cat 1-5 + 120k rr= 270k
Cost to upgrade to Cat 8= 90 k
Total for 7 nights at a cat 8 in Hawaii ($2800+) and 120k rr= 360k :banana:

If I get a refund on my 1-5 :
Total for 7 nights at a new cat 5 and 120k rr =435k :badpc: (270k paid minus 45k refund, +210k to book at new point cost).

That's 75k in lost points for me:charac2:. I mean I guess if your option is starting from scratch and getting squat for your old 1-5...I feel like those blogs are like " nm, Marriott is being cool again" after they threw the tiniest table scrap!

Oh, no I meant get the CSR & CSP to pay for the trip, but the Barclays, Cap One or Disney to use ON the actual trip. Like if I run out of Target GCs.

If you want to keep earning UR points to pay for future trips you can use the CSP or CSR on your trip as wellsince they earn 3ur points for every dollar spent ..not sure what the Cao One or Discover earn ..Disney is 1-1 if you have the no fee Disney card

My family traveling with me didn't want to risk going through security twice so I actually went to the lounge by myself. It was peaceful and relaxing, ha! Boy were they kicking themselves later when I showed them pics of my wine and food, and also how easily I went through security again. Of course YMMV but I was very glad I went!

Thanks for sharing your experience.....I may try it in September....but just realized in December we are flying out Christmas Eve so I’m sure the airport will be a zoo then

Well that stinks! What do they consider a standard room? The St. Regis is a cat 7 and 60K points for a standard room. You might be able to pay for an upgrade from there. I was contemplating the same thing but for Thanksgiving next year. I guess I'll be shooting for the Maldives at the Conrad if that is the case. I was also looking at the Al Maha in Dubai. That would be worth doing if it is at 60K points a night.

Looks like the Al Maha is 68K points a night. https://onemileatatime.com/successful-al-maha-booking/

@Lain sorry for your loss!

Bummer about the CIP and travel packages. We have the FUL with the one year 3x points promo and its been awesome using with Plastiq so I feel your pain. I tried to book a category 6 package and it became such a PITA I took it as a sign to just let it go. Glad I did. Hope people are able to apply those certs for what they want.

We took a 5 night trip to Hershey and Mystic, CT. We already hit the 5K spending on my SPG biz so I convinced DH to get one before the new restrictions hit. Instant approval I love the ease with AMEX. We still have the BGR MSR so will work on that until his card arrives.

I was all set for next plan which was CIP when I become 4/24 in the fall. BUT our HELOC hit our credit report and CreditWise and CreditJourney have it as a new account. So I’m won’t drop below 5/24 until the spring and neither will DH. I’m so bummed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter