I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. It looked ok to me, but not sure if there was something better.
DH is at 2/24 with Disney CC in '17, Hilton amex in March '2018 and the CIP in June. The business does not count toward 5/24 rule right?

I am already at 4/24 with the dis Premier '17, Alaska '17, Hilton in '18 and chase Freedom in June.

How much time should i space out my credit card applications? I have a payment of $2k I need to make towards our vacation and could use it to meet a minimum spend on a credit card.
Biz doesn’t count towards 5/24. Spacing is up to you and it’s fenerally recommened to wait a few months between apps but in your case I might go ahead and push as you only have 2 Chase cards.

I am an absolute novice but have been told to defer my questions to you brilliant people.

First, I have a Disney cc with no annual fee. I rarely use it and don't really want it; just got it for the $250 bonus. I've had it about 5 years. I'd really like to get a good rewards card as we plan to do more international travel and, well, I just like rewards. Can I ditch the Disney card and apply for something like a Chase Sapphire or Ink card, or should I keep the Disney card? Which reward card would you recommend for a person who is 62 but still has 2 16-year-olds at home and an 18-year-old leaving for college this week?

Info on me: I'm retired (but make money with my knitting), my credit score is about 820, I have several cc's (BB, Kohls, Penneys, SW) and rarely use anything but the SW and Kohls on occasion. I don't know what to do with them--keep or dump some? I signed up dh last Sept for the SW 60,000 pts x 2 to get CP for 2 years. I know if I cancel my SW card this fall I can maybe reapply in a year to do something similar and extend our CP, but it's all confusing to me.

Finally, I am going to be paying on DD's college apartment but they charge a very hefty fee for using a cc; any way to circumvent that and earn points? I see mention of Platiq but I don't know what that is.

Welcome...I was asking these same questions a few months ago and everyone here is so helpful and friendly

As far as your Disney, SW and Kohl’s cards.....if they are the oldest cards you have I’d keep the Kohls and Disney just so the average age of your credit cards stays higher and they are no fee cards

If you are going to cancel the SW...do so after your anniversary bonus points hit your RR account. I cancel and reapply for the SW cards..1 business and 1 personal every two years to get the CP....so if you fly SW a lot it’s worth it.

With your knitting you have a business..As long as you haven’t opened more than 5 credit cards in the last 24 months....Id recommend applying for the Chase Ink Preferred CIP...this way you earn 80,000 UR after spending $5,000 the first 3 months

Last edited:
Biz doesn’t count towards 5/24. Spacing is up to you and it’s fenerally recommened to wait a few months between apps but in your case I might go ahead and push as you only have 2 Chase cards.

Any recommendations. For both DH and I.

I prefer cash back cards, but also hotel rewards. Preferably to Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott. Our preferred airline is Alaska.

You could apply for a DiscoverIt or a DiscoverIt Miles card. Either one should double the bonus during the first year of ownership. It might be worth it if you are planning $3000 worth of computer, maybe not so much if you are looking at spending $1000. There's no minimum spend, which is nice, but it takes up a 5/24 slot.

Discover is also a good way to purchase Disney gift cards if you have that need in your near future (once or twice a year there is usually a quarterly bonus of 5% back at discount clubs like Sam's or BJ's - doubling the cashback bonus and adding the Sam's/BJ's discount nets you 14.5% off the base price).

Can't add another card right now for various reasons. Plus I want to put the spend on Chase if at all possible. We just got the 2 Chase cards this month. But that's for the info - I'll keep discover in mind for later. We don't have Sam's or BJs here, so that wouldn't help. I was more thinking of a way to maximize travel points on the cards we already have.

This is my plan too if nothing else presents itself...it's just cashing out is so boring to me lol!
This is how I feel :) Obviously I have no MRs yet, but as I consider some MR cards I think to myself, on one hand they feel hard to value since I don't have a set plan for them, but on the other, cashing out could be nice to cover OOP parts of a trip... :)

:rotfl2:

On a more personal note, my MIL is in the hospital and my wife had to fly back to Hawaii very suddenly over the weekend. Because we have stashes of points and miles, I was able to book her an award seat on Saturday night to fly out on Hawaiian the next morning. It cost us 25k HawaiianMiles and only $5.60, but cash fares were in the $600s. Holding down the fort here, and hoping seeing her daughter will help my MIL get better soon.

Anyway, I’m eagerly awaiting my Biz Plat too, because bills keep a comin’.

But I’m also debating applying for the Marriott Premier Plus in a week or two, and I’ll just throw my September rent payment on it as soon as I have the card in hand — that’ll knock out the MSR in one go before the new Starriott restrictions hit on 8/26.

Sorry your MIL is ill! I'm sure it is a lot of stress for your DW.

So, since I've had 2 Marriott cards (personal and biz) in the past 8 months, I guess I am out of the game for the SPG lux card. Was looking forward to it.

Now, I'm wondering if I should just churn the SPG Biz at the low bonus? I would have to wait for the 24 plus months anyway once August rolls around. Just seems to me there is not much hope of getting a better Biz bonus for the SPG anytime soon and I would be barred from it after August for 24 months, then another 24 months after the Lux card.

Or, should I just leave it alone and let it roll for 2 years and see where things go? Doesn't look like Marriott is going to continue to be very generous.

This is my plan too if nothing else presents itself...it's just cashing out is so boring to me lol!

This is how I feel :) Obviously I have no MRs yet, but as I consider some MR cards I think to myself, on one hand they feel hard to value since I don't have a set plan for them, but on the other, cashing out could be nice to cover OOP parts of a trip... :)
I know it feels boring...but I don't regret my AMEX Schwab run for a minute! All that cash back was amazing!

Any recommendations. For both DH and I.

I prefer cash back cards, but also hotel rewards. Preferably to Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott. Our preferred airline is Alaska.

Are you open to business cards for yourself? Since you mentioned Sheraton/Marriott first thought that comes to mind is the Marriott Biz. Since it's a biz you'll still be a 4/24 and it'll automatically convert to the new earnings structure on 8/26 so you get all the same perks of the personal Premier Plus (plus one or two extra earning categories) without taking up a slot for it. Right now they both have the same sign up bonus, the only difference is $4 in AF's - the Biz is $99 AF not waived vs the $95 AF not waived first year. Unless you had any plans for the SPG Lux for yourself; getting a Marriott would take you out for that one. (The SPG Biz would avoid that but the sign up bonus isn't very compelling right now and most likely won't be until, or even after, the SPG Lux is released) But DH could always apply for it, or something else in the family, later.

Otherwise may want to look for something for DH to apply for. I can't think of anything I'd want to use my last spot on other than UR cards and with it being the last spot I'd try for the Sapphire double dip. But I'm not great for outside Chase and Amex because we're not fans of CapOne or Citi and only look at BoA for cobrands. Barclay's scares me a little after hearing from folks here, I don't want to put that much effort into my credit cards :p

Cashing out is definitely an option. I'm also interested in maybe transferring to Starriott...? We just don't travel int'l at this point and that seems to be where MR's really shine!

I've been meaning to read back through your guide about the Schwab. IIRC, that card has a hefty AF so it really makes sense to do it when you have a lot of MR's to cash out, right?
Yeah - getting it in the middle or at the end of amassing a huge MR stash is best. We used the whole strategy to keep me busy (well over 5/24) while cooling my wife’s report to get her back under 5/24.

Cashing out is definitely an option. I'm also interested in maybe transferring to Starriott...? We just don't travel int'l at this point and that seems to be where MR's really shine!

Japan. MR is an ANA partner. its the best way to redeem a trip to Japan. I think its better doing direct to ANA instead of the Virgin Atantic route.
Cathay Pacific could also be a good one too to asia. Im not sure how their program is now though.

Hmmm hmmm hmmm... and this is exactly why I can't decide what to do for my hail damage payment. Take the 75k/$5k Personal Plat offer? Start stashing MRs/Schwab cashout? But the fee is high and we are getting Centurion Lounge next year, I'd hate to miss that a bit as we don't have any other plans taking us to one. Refer him for Hilton Biz from my card now? We'd knock out the spend in no time, no exact plan for Hilton points but that'd give us almost 240k. Thinking similar to @CyndiLouWho, DH got CIP in May and would like to so SW Biz in Dec or Jan, is it too early to get him a CIC when he's at 3/24 personal (2 Aug 16, 1 Aug 17, and CIP May 18)...

Why is this so hard?

Wow, thanks so much for the many quick replies!

More info for you:
We live in Northern California and are about 1 1/2 hours from the nearest airport (Sacramento), which isn't huge. I often fly to Disneyland with my friends, so SW has been great for me. I never pay for a flight and I never drive there. DD is now going to be attending school near Disneyland so more SW flights for us. I have an AP to DL and usually pay very little to go there, but dh doesn't like DL very much.

We want to do more international travel, some with the kids and some without as they get older. We went to England last year and had a blast, but it was expensive and I would like to find a way to get some free flights next time. We're planning another trip to Europe next summer, destination as yet undecided.

SW works well for us and we're looking forward to the upcoming Hawaii flights, which isn't bad from the west coast. However, I would like to have a card that earns rewards I can use for other airlines/hotels/etc.

My dh teaches math and I'm a retired English/science teacher. I also have a knitting business; I don't make a ton of money but it's nice to get paid for your hobby. I retired early to care for my dad, who had cancer and Alzheimer's. He lived with us but passed away in January.

We belong to several hotel loyalty programs but we don't often use them. With 5 of us, we usually use something like Airbnb or VRBO. When I go to DL, I generally stay in a Disney hotel (no loyalty program, sadly).

We are an active family and we like to hike, bike, walk, swim, etc. My family would be very bored just sitting around somewhere. We rented an RV this summer and went up the coast of Oregon and Washington and stayed several nights on San Juan island. I have to tell you I do not intend to rent an RV again--definitely not my cup of tea. Loved the trip, didn't love the RV.

DH and I have no joint bank accounts. We married late (40 and 43) and never saw the need to change what we already had, so I have all of my banking, cards, etc in my name only and so does he. He has a large family trust that doesn't include me but does include the kids, and I have a smaller family trust that is the same, and we have a family trust together. We are both on the mortgage and own our vehicles and property jointly. I honestly don't know how this works with credit agencies; if I open an account in my name for instance (I have my own income), does it affect his credit score and vice versa? We both have excellent credit and have no vehicle payments and just a small mortgage.

Since we are both getting older and our family and work obligations are diminishing, I would like to do a lot more traveling while we're in good shape.

I hope I didn't overload you with my personal info! I'll definitely look into the Plastic and Ink cards. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thought what the heck and applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve (I'm on a vacation day and bored!) - got the 30 day message. Checked the flow-chart. Called. Got 7-10 business language.

I already knew this would be the case, but still. Womp Womp.

I unfroze my credit reports and everything. I should apply for something else instead.

I know it feels boring...but I don't regret my AMEX Schwab run for a minute! All that cash back was amazing!

I've been meaning to read back through your guide about the Schwab. IIRC, that card has a hefty AF so it really makes sense to do it when you have a lot of MR's to cash out, right?

Yeah - getting it in the middle or at the end of amassing a huge MR stash is best. We used the whole strategy to keep me busy (well over 5/24) while cooling my wife’s report to get her back under 5/24.

This is exactly the path I am on, inadvertently...lol. I was waiting to round out Chase, but when I pulled the 100K personal plat offer, I had to use a 5/24 slot. Though, there isn't a ton left I NEED from Chase at this point (possibly the Marriott Premier Plus before I get shut out, United maybe if a nice offer pops up, or SW if we move forward with trying to get CP again depending on opportunity costs once DH's expires this year). Similarly, MRs appear to be so easy to build up with the right all-time high offers and so many business options. My judgement could be clouded at the moment by another 100K MR soon to come with the Biz Plat :blush:

The thought of the cold hard cash with just the two Plats alone gives me shivers lol. And have only scratched the surface with many more MR cards to come before the Schwab. Here's to hoping that 1.25 cash out doesn't vanish! I may just get it in the middle of the MR quest to cash some out, for fear of good things again coming to an end and also because I want to save a decent stash for potential Japan redemptions.

Thought what the heck and applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve (I'm on a vacation day and bored!) - got the 30 day message. Checked the flow-chart. Called. Got 7-10 business language.

I already knew this would be the case, but still. Womp Womp.

I unfroze my credit reports and everything. I should apply for something else instead.

Why did you know this would be the case? Already have a sapphire or over 5/24?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest