• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read through all 170+ pages and would like to request advice for entering the credit card perks world. Most of my vacation travel is to WDW, at least annually. I am a DVC member, so stay on points unless I make multiple trips in a year. I use Delta because I am near a hub. I usually reach Silver status due to travel for work. Future travel plans include annual trips to WDW, a hoped for trip to Italy in fall of 2018, and a trip to Hawaii in 2019. Of course, if I can get good at accumulating miles or points, my travel plans will expand.

I am not sure where to start. Chase cards, Delta branded card, American Express? I have a Disney Premier and a Capital One Quicksilver.

Thanks for any and all advice to get me started.
wdwcindy, I would look at the chase sapphire reserve card. This card codes timeshare maintenance fees as travel and gives 3x points. Your DVC maintenance fees should count. I just used my card on our last trip and all of our restaurant and even ice cream cart purchases were coded as 3x as restaurant. Our Disney tickets purchased through Undercover Tourist also coded at 3x for travel

DH got CSR 10/2016 & CitiBusiness AA 2/2017. Was planning on CSP, SW then Marriott cards in that order.
Does this seems too risky? How long would you wait between apps?

That doesn't appear to be too risky or aggressive. My most recent apps are CSR 9/2016, Delta Amex personal and biz 11/2016, Amex Plat biz 1/2017, Chase BA and Amex Plat personal 5/17. Had I read these DPs I might not have been this aggressive. I have not seen any DPs were this happened with someone who is also CPC so I'm not exactly worried for myself at this point. At this juncture and with these DPs I'd likely wait about 3 months between apps at the least and probably not do 2 at a time. It also appears that the people who were shut down were reinstated after providing information.

DH got CSR 10/2016 & CitiBusiness AA 2/2017. Was planning on CSP, SW then Marriott cards in that order.
Does this seems too risky? How long would you wait between apps?

I agree with @calypso726. After reading the blog post that she posted about Chase shutting people down, I got a little worried. But I tend to wait 3-4 mos between apps (most recent being CSR 9/16, CSP 1/17, CIP 4/17) and I never do two at once. I just cannot meet the min spends to do it any faster or more aggressively. I feel fairly safe about the way I am doing it and I think you will be fine also if you stick to something similar. My dh is 5/24 until this fall so he simply has no choice but to wait :)

I think most of us have nothing to worry about. Most of the DP were people who apply quickly and have big limits. Half of those just call in and speak with a CSR and they get their account back. Sounds like having a Chase Savings/Checking account helps.

Honestly, i think its Chase version of Amex's FR.

I agree with @calypso726. After reading the blog post that she posted about Chase shutting people down, I got a little worried. But I tend to wait 3-4 mos between apps (most recent being CSR 9/16, CSP 1/17, CIP 4/17) and I never do two at once. I just cannot meet the min spends to do it any faster or more aggressively. I feel fairly safe about the way I am doing it and I think you will be fine also if you stick to something similar. My dh is 5/24 until this fall so he simply has no choice but to wait :)
I am at 5/24 already, DH is not. But no way we can meet spend on 2 cards at once, so one every 3-4 months at most. Currently sitting at car dealership, figuring out which card to charge repairs to based on how much $ it will cost.

Quick question, for anyone who has gotten referral bonus from Chase, how long does it take for them to send referral email to your friend? Looking at CSP next for DH and used Chase referral link last Saturday but no email yet.

I am at 5/24 already, DH is not. But no way we can meet spend on 2 cards at once, so one every 3-4 months at most. Currently sitting at car dealership, figuring out which card to charge repairs to based on how much $ it will cost.

Quick question, for anyone who has gotten referral bonus from Chase, how long does it take for them to send referral email to your friend? Looking at CSP next for DH and used Chase referral link last Saturday but no email yet.

Can't really help with how long the email takes, but you should be able to access the referral link immediately by choosing the Twitter option. It won't actually post to Twitter automatically, but it will bring up a post showing the full referral link. I just copy that link and cancel the Twitter post.

Can't really help with how long the email takes, but you should be able to access the referral link immediately by choosing the Twitter option. It won't actually post to Twitter automatically, but it will bring up a post showing the full referral link. I just copy that link and cancel the Twitter post.
I went to referral link, put in DHs email (& my info to credit the correct account) It says your friend will receive an email with a CC offer. DH hasn't received anything yet. Anxious to be on to the next CC. Lol.

I went to referral link, put in DHs email (& my info to credit the correct account) It says your friend will receive an email with a CC offer. DH hasn't received anything yet. Anxious to be on to the next CC. Lol.

You are referring to the Chase refer-a-friend page, right? Usually when I go to Chase refer-a-friend, I type in my last name and last digits of card, then a page comes up where I can choose to enter a friend's email address or click an option to post to Twitter/Facebook instead. I always choose the Twitter/Facebook option to get access to the link immediately instead of waiting on an email.

Hope DH gets the email soon so you can submit his application. If not, you should be able to go the other route and just click the link that comes up in the Twitter/Facebook post option.

Ugh. Car repair $1500. Only $200 to meet spend on Marriott card. Don't want to "waste" $1500 on it.
What would you use? UR, SW mile, SPG points?

You are referring to the Chase refer-a-friend page, right? Usually when I go to Chase refer-a-friend, I type in my last name and last digits of card, then a page comes up where I can choose to enter a friend's email address or click an option to post to Twitter/Facebook instead. I always choose the Twitter/Facebook option to get access to the link immediately instead of waiting on an email.

Hope DH gets the email soon so you can submit his application. If not, you should be able to go the other route and just click the link that comes up in the Twitter/Facebook post option.
Found it, applied, 30 day message

Ugh. Car repair $1500. Only $200 to meet spend on Marriott card. Don't want to "waste" $1500 on it.
What would you use? UR, SW mile, SPG points?
Are you asking which card I'd use? I'd do whatever I'm trying to hit spend on at the time. After that it's a close tie for me between UR and SPG. Not SW as you can also use UR points for that if you decide to later. Ur is most flexible- the only reason I'd say SPG is b/c it's harder to get those points,and I like to stay at WDW using those. I'd also spend the 200 using the marriott, then the rest on a UR card personally I guess.

Are you asking which card I'd use? I'd do whatever I'm trying to hit spend on at the time. After that it's a close tie for me between UR and SPG. Not SW as you can also use UR points for that if you decide to later. Ur is most flexible- the only reason I'd say SPG is b/c it's harder to get those points,and I like to stay at WDW using those. I'd also spend the 200 using the marriott, then the rest on a UR card personally I guess.
My thought was SPG for next WDW stay. I just checked & have $20 for Marriott card spend left. But might split between SW & SPG cards as SW card has a bonus of 300 extra points for spending $500.

I'm getting ready to transfer CSR points to SW to purchase flights. I have my own CSR CC and DH has his own CSR. It there a way to get both of our CSR points onto one SW Rewards account? Or do his points have to go to his SW and my to mine SW?

My thought was SPG for next WDW stay. I just checked & have $20 for Marriott card spend left. But might split between SW & SPG cards as SW card has a bonus of 300 extra points for spending $500.

I forgot all about the SW bonus. But you can get 650 points for spending $5 on a magazine subscription, so you might value the SPG points more highly.

I'm getting ready to transfer CSR points to SW to purchase flights. I have my own CSR CC and DH has his own CSR. It there a way to get both of our CSR points onto one SW Rewards account? Or do his points have to go to his SW and my to mine SW?
You can transfer CSR points to one CSR account. Go to the rewards section and click on the points box at top of page. You should see Combine points as a choice. You can transfer whatever UR points you want to your DH or vice versa. Then to SW as you see fit.

I think you posted that before but flew right by me. Lol.

Meredith magazines get 650 points per order, which start out at around $7, but then they give you a little pop up if they think you're about to close the window for an even better deal. I just checked to make sure it still worked. $3 for 6 issues of Better Homes and Gardens. :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter