I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more question about if ANA or Virgin cancels my November flights...

• Do the taxes and fees ($500+ in all that I paid out of pocket) also get refunded? I know the miles will go back to my Virgin account (which of course may be a complete loss anyway, if they're not doing well) but the loss of the $500 in actual money will be very sad.
  • And if they DO refund the fees, and the fees were paid with a CIP that I (most likely) will not have any more by this fall, what happens to it? Hmmmm so many questions....

I guess that was two questions!

One more question about if ANA or Virgin cancels my November flights...

• Do the taxes and fees ($500+ in all that I paid out of pocket) also get refunded? I know the miles will go back to my Virgin account (which of course may be a complete loss anyway, if they're not doing well) but the loss of the $500 in actual money will be very sad.
  • And if they DO refund the fees, and the fees were paid with a CIP that I (most likely) will not have any more by this fall, what happens to it? Hmmmm so many questions....

I guess that was two questions!
Yes, the fees will be returned to the card that was used for payment. If the CIP is closed, Chase will issue a check for the balance.

The door just go slammed behind me and it wasn’t me that did it. 5 hrs and 5 minutes left. Longest shift EVER.
Mine too. I have... 5 hours and 15 minutes left!
Hopefully your shifts are almost over! My doors have been slamming too but it’s just my grumpy son and the amount of virtual school homework he has been receiving. 19 more days, just 19 more days...

AmEx will report on statement close. Most of the time it's reported on the second statement, but sometimes you only get one in. I had my Green card report in less than 30 days because they closed my first statement about 20 days after approval and they actually reported on the first statement. I'm waiting to see what happens with my new Marriott Brilliant. It closes next week I think, so we'll see. The one I opened last year was exactly on second statement.
I have tons of Amex cards but somehow never noticed this. Yes, the first statement on this card covered just 2 weeks, so the next will come in about 2 more weeks from now, and the card probably will be reported then.

Looking to get into biz cards and don't know where to start. UTI is very high, but not a single derog on my report.

It took me 10 minutes to realize UTI is not an acronym but an abbreviation. And the whole time I knew exactly what it meant in substance, but I'm still guessing acronyms like "usage to interest," "utilize the inflation," "usury tone intervals". It was a total "D"OH!" moment when I figured it out.

Ok - I've remained silent here so far (work was so busy this week), but I'd like to weigh in with some advice. I really think you should re-evaluate your position on business cards in general and consider the Barclays Jetblue Business card. Any side hustle can potentially qualify you for a biz card. Things like mowing lawns, babysitting, consulting work, selling on e-bay, teaching piano, tutoring, and so on could all be considered a small business sole prop for this purpose.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/jetblue-business-card/
This offer is pretty good:
Earn up to 60,000 bonus points // Earn 50,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days and earn 10,000 points when a purchase is made on an employee card in the first 90 days.

And to my knowledge, JetBlue remains one of if not the only airline mile/pts currency where you can do family pooling- so you could combine your points.

This card also earns 2x JetBlue points on restaurants and office supply stores. You might be able to funnel some of your MSR through gift cards sold at Staples or Office Max to pad the earnings a bit! Although with just a $1,000 MSR you'll probably knock that out in no time.

I reached out to my man @PolyRob for a little JetBlue card intel as this isn't a points currency I've been spending time with recently. With a low $99 annual fee and a $1,000 MSR, this offer is fantastic. It gets you free checked bags, awards you 5,000 pts on your card anniv. I don't have a great handle on what Jetblue points are worth, but a quick google search shows that you're probably in the neighborhood of 1.4 cpp which makes this a better deal than a CSP which had previously been recommended.

To be honest, if you know what airline you're going to fly, and it's a domestic trip with one of the major carriers, I say it's usually better to earn that specific airline's currency than more flexible points. Earn JB pts to fly JB... save URs for other travel expenses.

If you each applied for this biz card and managed to get approved, you'd probably be looking at $1,500+ in free flights with free checked bags. AND since they are biz cards, you wouldn't affect your 5/24 status leaving Chase cards as an option in the future. There is no support link for the Jetblue cards, BUT if you opt to go in a different direction (i.e. Chase) there are support links out there for that.

With that in mind, you also might consider joining our DISchurners reddit group which has some great info, guides, and ways to pay it forward to the group when you apply for certain cards (i.e. support links). If you're interested, drop me a quick PM here on the DIS.

Thanks - hopefully this helps some!

EDIT: Ok...am I crazy or am now considering an application for this card even though I have no intentions to fly JetBlue and I have like 800k SW points??? 🤣 🤣 🤣 I wonder how else I could use these points! Off to research... haha!
Ok.... so let me ask this (bc I'm not in a travel planning state of mind) I had this card 2 years back, PC'd to a basic no AF- got the same offer- even tho I usually fly SWA,and and am planning to go NOWHERE pretty much right now.... I still wonder if it's a good plan for P2 to go for this.... Are those points worth anything at all like gift cards or cash?
ETA wait I'd have P2 go for personal if we do this.... he's got plenty for room for it and no other plans.... but.... is is worth the $99 AF is the real question....

Last edited:
I moved recently and will be purchasing new furniture, debating on getting a new card or calling my existing cards for a retention offer. I hesitate to get a new card because my average age of credit took a hit when I paid off my student loans.
Now that Amex has refreshed the Green card and Delta cards, the Hilton cards seem outdated. Does anyone know when they’re due for a refresh?

May the 4th be with you everyone. I just finished the Clone Wars finale and am sobbing hysterically way too early in the morning.

On cc stuff I realized I hit the 6 month mark on my CSP so am considering my next Chase card. Seems like finishing up my trifecta is the smartest move, since I'm lacking the regular Freedom. I actually had one many years ago when they first came out, and was just a basic gas/groceries card, because I was working for Chase at the time. But I got laid off and had a terrible home situation and that was that. I'm just curious how often the Discover and Chase 5% categories overlap.

I moved recently and will be purchasing new furniture, debating on getting a new card or calling my existing cards for a retention offer. I hesitate to get a new card because my average age of credit took a hit when I paid off my student loans.
Now that Amex has refreshed the Green card and Delta cards, the Hilton cards seem outdated. Does anyone know when they’re due for a refresh?
The Hilton cards all were refreshed in 2018. I don't think that's all that long ago.

The Hilton cards all were refreshed in 2018. I don't think that's all that long ago.
Wow, I didn’t realize that they were that recent. They still have the older design of raised numbers on the front, and I prefer the newer style with all the info printed on the back. I’m also curious if the 10 free priority pass visits included with the Surpass card are going away since Amex owns Loungebuddy now.

For those with an AmEx biz plat card, they added this benefit. Wish I hadn't of just placed an order last weekend. I will have to place another one now!

After you enroll, get up to $100 in additional statement credits from
May 1 through June 30, 2020, and up to $100 in additional statement
credits between July 1 and December 31, 2020, for U.S. purchases with Dell. That's up to $400 in statement credits for 2020. Terms apply.

Wow, I didn’t realize that they were that recent. They still have the older design of raised numbers on the front, and I prefer the newer style with all the info printed on the back. I’m also curious if the 10 free priority pass visits included with the Surpass card are going away since Amex owns Loungebuddy now.

Hilton used to split their cards between Citi and Amex. As of 1/1/18 they consolidated them all with Amex who came out with 3 essentially new cards ( or arguably 2 new and one refresh). But yes, their visual design is not modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter