I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
An @SouthFayetteFan Fireside Chat: Churning in 2020 - The year of sadness?
Special credit on this one goes out to @mamathompson who has identified a source of sadness that I feel permeates our community of DISchurners...

First off - I'd like to make it known that nothing I'm about to say is intended to disrespect the larger picture in all of this. Life, Finances, Futures, etc., certainly take precedence. Others point to what certain groups (i.e. children, seniors in HS, etc.) are losing right now, and I do not mean to invalidate that either...BUT can we just take a moment and mourn churning in 2020 and the abundance of travel that this game provides for, that has been cut off in the midst of this current situation.

Our lives are finite, we redeem our days for work, for parenting, for other worldly duties, and as churners, we complete these tasks and handle these responsibilities with a hope that is often founded in the respite that our trips, nay the fruits of our churning labor, bring to us! Moments, memories, and meaningful time set aside to step back from the daily life and seek that which brings us all a shared joy: travel!

Yet in the midst of all of this, we are losing days. Days, that we will never get back. Our sons and daughters will never be this age again. Other family may have limited time left with us (or limited time with ability to travel). Our vacation time at work also may have limitations, policies that restrict our abilities to roll them forward into the future.

If you're sad that you're losing a trip...if you're worried that you're going to lose a trip...THAT IS OK! If you feel selfish even thinking about the potential of a trip...DON'T! It doesn't make you a heartless selfish person... we can certainly balance frustration and sadness over the larger picture with our personal feelings on where it hits home the most with us!

Allow me to get personal for a moment (not typically something I like to do in a fireside chat):
I had somebody at work recently ask me why I don't just reschedule the trip I'm worried about in June. (Now not to pick on a generation...but as a childless millennial I think they may have been out of touch with what a summer for a family of 4 looks like). I said, "Well, between golf camp, soccer camp, basketball camp, cheerleading camp, bible school, a family reunion, summer swim team, and coordinating the schedules of 3 different family units... rescheduling something we put on the calendar 7 months ago isn't exactly easy." Now who knows if half of these events will even happen... but sometimes it isn't as easy as "just reschedule!"

My parents are getting older, and as many of you know our Captiva trip each year is my slice of paradise. Basically it's the week I work for all year. And it's in the cross-hairs, and it might be lost, and I don't know that we can reschedule it yet. And as I pondered the words of @mamathompson earlier, I thought to myself: "how many more Captiva trips do we have like this?" Parents getting older, my kids getting older, my sister probably going to start a family at some point. What if we only have 10 of these left...or 5 of these left...what if we just lost one of those 5?? It's sad, it really is! This is a trip we've done 7 straight years... and if I had my way we'd do it 20 more in a row!

But I digress from the personal stuff - I think we all in some way are feeling that right now. That special trip for a 13 year old. That last trip as a family before somebody moves out to college. The first trip for a new addition to the family. And you know what, it's ok to feel bad about that! And I get it, you can't just reschedule!! And even if you can, it might not be the same...and it's ok to be frustrated about that too!

Some simple reminders and takeaways:
  • Some people here go on trips monthly, it'd be easy to criticize their sadness and say "well at least you went on 3 trips already this year". DON'T DO THAT... their sadness is valid!
  • Some people here are only able to go on ONE trip a year, share in their sadness and realize how difficult it may have been for them to arrange that
  • Some people are losing major international trips that aren't easy to put together, respect the effort that may have gone into that and understand that moving that trip could mean hours upon hours of work and lost value of their money and points.
  • Some people are losing annual trips that seem repetitive, illogical even, embrace the fact that their style is different than yours and maybe that trip is special to them in some way that you can't even comprehend.
So friends, we rally together right now and realize that while the "burn" portion of the hobby is on hold, all we can do is embrace the "earn" portion and encourage one another and especially support one another in what I would say are very valid feelings of sadness.

We will never get today back...and somebody somewhere missed out on something today...and it's ok to be sad about that.
So well written...and thanks for sharing..yes it did ring true for me. This spring,when our big FL fam trip was cancelled.... I was planning it as 'the last time' we could all do this together, my kids are adults,I knew it wouldn't happen again.
Then it didn't.
And I was left to look back (so fondly) at our group of 16 fam members,from 2 spring breaks back. I treasured that moment back then, but I didn't know it would be our *last* large group trip together at the time. So yes, I felt a loss over this spring trip. I'm blessed and lucky,I still have my family- I think to add to SFF sentiment here, it's not so much the trip itself, but more what it represents to us individually. Well written sir!

Special credit on this one goes out to @mamathompson who has identified a source of sadness that I feel permeates our community of DISchurners...

First off - I'd like to make it known that nothing I'm about to say is intended to disrespect the larger picture in all of this. Life, Finances, Futures, etc., certainly take precedence. Others point to what certain groups (i.e. children, seniors in HS, etc.) are losing right now, and I do not mean to invalidate that either...BUT can we just take a moment and mourn churning in 2020 and the abundance of travel that this game provides for, that has been cut off in the midst of this current situation.

Our lives are finite, we redeem our days for work, for parenting, for other worldly duties, and as churners, we complete these tasks and handle these responsibilities with a hope that is often founded in the respite that our trips, nay the fruits of our churning labor, bring to us! Moments, memories, and meaningful time set aside to step back from the daily life and seek that which brings us all a shared joy: travel!

Yet in the midst of all of this, we are losing days. Days, that we will never get back. Our sons and daughters will never be this age again. Other family may have limited time left with us (or limited time with ability to travel). Our vacation time at work also may have limitations, policies that restrict our abilities to roll them forward into the future.

If you're sad that you're losing a trip...if you're worried that you're going to lose a trip...THAT IS OK! If you feel selfish even thinking about the potential of a trip...DON'T! It doesn't make you a heartless selfish person... we can certainly balance frustration and sadness over the larger picture with our personal feelings on where it hits home the most with us!

Allow me to get personal for a moment (not typically something I like to do in a fireside chat):
I had somebody at work recently ask me why I don't just reschedule the trip I'm worried about in June. (Now not to pick on a generation...but as a childless millennial I think they may have been out of touch with what a summer for a family of 4 looks like). I said, "Well, between golf camp, soccer camp, basketball camp, cheerleading camp, bible school, a family reunion, summer swim team, and coordinating the schedules of 3 different family units... rescheduling something we put on the calendar 7 months ago isn't exactly easy." Now who knows if half of these events will even happen... but sometimes it isn't as easy as "just reschedule!"

My parents are getting older, and as many of you know our Captiva trip each year is my slice of paradise. Basically it's the week I work for all year. And it's in the cross-hairs, and it might be lost, and I don't know that we can reschedule it yet. And as I pondered the words of @mamathompson earlier, I thought to myself: "how many more Captiva trips do we have like this?" Parents getting older, my kids getting older, my sister probably going to start a family at some point. What if we only have 10 of these left...or 5 of these left...what if we just lost one of those 5?? It's sad, it really is! This is a trip we've done 7 straight years... and if I had my way we'd do it 20 more in a row!

But I digress from the personal stuff - I think we all in some way are feeling that right now. That special trip for a 13 year old. That last trip as a family before somebody moves out to college. The first trip for a new addition to the family. And you know what, it's ok to feel bad about that! And I get it, you can't just reschedule!! And even if you can, it might not be the same...and it's ok to be frustrated about that too!

• Some people here go on trips monthly, it'd be easy to criticize their sadness and say "well at least you went on 3 trips already this year". DON'T DO THAT... their sadness is valid!
  • Some people here are only able to go on ONE trip a year, share in their sadness and realize how difficult it may have been for them to arrange that
  • Some people are losing major international trips that aren't easy to put together, respect the effort that may have gone into that and understand that moving that trip could mean hours upon hours of work and lost value of their money and points.
  • Some people are losing annual trips that seem repetitive, illogical even, embrace the fact that their style is different than yours and maybe that trip is special to them in some way that you can't even comprehend.
So friends, we rally together right now and realize that while the "burn" portion of the hobby is on hold, all we can do is embrace the "earn" portion and encourage one another and especially support one another in what I would say are very valid feelings of sadness.

We will never get today back...and somebody somewhere missed out on something today...and it's ok to be sad about that.
Well said....we are sad to miss our trip in May to see our son, I have booked a week each in June, July and August hopefully one will work out.

We’re planning a July trip as well! Sounds like lots of us are planning for July.
Which resort did you book on UR?

Late July trip here as well, but SW is trying to ensure that does not happen, they changed both our flights again last night. This is like the 5th time. Its a money thing, I think they canceled all direct flights not because of light loads (Both mine were 100% booked) but to force people onto the light loaded flights to main hubs since they still need to run those and but getting everyone off the direct flight and to a flight to a hub they cannot remove saves money. :sad2:

Late July trip here as well, but SW is trying to ensure that does not happen, they changed both our flights again last night. This is like the 5th time. Its a money thing, I think they canceled all direct flights not because of light loads (Both mine were 100% booked) but to force people onto the light loaded flights to main hubs since they still need to run those and but getting everyone off the direct flight and to a flight to a hub they cannot remove saves money. :sad2:
I feel you. Right now I'm waiting and hoping I will see some changes back to a better schedule,I really wanted to visit my family this summer....

I feel you. Right now I'm waiting and hoping I will see some changes back to a better schedule,I really wanted to visit my family this summer....

I am kinda just in standby, We don't want to go if and have to wear masks, 6' queues/virtual queues and I don't even what to think of the busses at 6'! Kinda just holding onto the reservation till June when they open 2021 so I can move it to next summer without having to worry about what of the 40 gift cards the money will go back to.

Another question for those who are planning international trips. Are you still planning? Is it even possible to guess at this point?

I’m not planning at all anymore for our Europe trip. This was a 16 day trip to Europe end of May-first half of June. I haven’t even been able to get through all of my cancellations yet. I have UR’s I hope to get back from a couple of hotel reservations (form is filled out and turned in, haven’t heard back from Chase yet), DLP (same story - waiting for a deposit to be returned in the form of a credit for future package). Those two are not much though so not too big a deal.

The biggest issue for me right now is getting an Airbnb refund. I’m not crazy about how Airbnb has handled this crisis and right now I have nothing to lose by waiting a while to cancel in hopes of having an official “no travel” order issued for my state that covers my dates of travel. If I have this documentation to submit, then I can get a full refund. If not, the best I can hope for is <50% refund, 50% Airbnb credit, and I’d be out some sort of fee, I forget what it’s for. I find it utterly bizarre that this documentation is required. Their company headquarters must be located under a rock or on Mars or something. If anyone has any advice for me, I’d gladly accept.

All this to say, even after I get all this straightened out, I don’t think I’ll be making more international plans until things settle. It’s too much work and the financial end of things are just too crazy right now. When I do get back to planning though, it’ll be a one week trip to use that DLP credit. I don’t think I’ll be planning another 16 day trip. It’s just too much.

We have had our flights changed a lot as well...same situation no direct flights ISP to MCO in May and just one flight each way daily...stinks but I understand why they are doing it

My sons' best friend is a nut for this show. He can tell you what season and episode someone guest starred in. He knows Every. Single. Show. from plot lines to quotes. He's otherwise quite a normal kid. :D
Ummm quoting SVU is totally a normal thing...right??? 🤣

I love how you can trace almost every actor back to SVU. So Many people have guest starred!!!

Seriously, your name???

Wow, just wow.

Mine is either spelled wrong or pronounced wrong (sometimes both), but it's unusual so I can understand that.

And "Virginia." How ridiculous to spell that wrong!
Yes. People swap the 'y' for an 'i'. Hard to believe but true!

How is everyone handling potential trips to WDW later this year? Are you planning like normal or preemptively cancelling? Our next trip is supposed to be November. I haven't let myself do much planning yet.
I know there has been some discussion of this but I've been mostly skimming lately..🙈

I've rescheduled 2 and cancelled one. I'm hoping that the August Fort Wilderness one with no parks can still happen but I'm waiting to hear on what the experience will be like - no campfire sing-along, no firework viewing, no boat rides, no monorail bar crawl? Thankfully, the price was so cheap that the deposit of one night from Easter covered 2.5 nights of the rescheduled trip. I'm still waiting for Disney to refund the May trip to Pop that they cancelled. I think that the New Year's Fort trip will happen. What I have eliminated is any trip that involved park visits (local enough that we don't have to go to the parks - Fort Wilderness is a perfect vacation for us). The FL resident tickets were only extended to July and I definitely won't be comfortable going to the parks by then (I think). I will wait until a new ticket offer.

Our Easter Fort Wilderness trip was going to be the first time my brother's kids went to Disney. We weren't going to go to any parks but we joked that we could convince them that the Fort WAS Disney (they are 6, 4, 2). Heck, for years, my kids preferred the Fort to the parks so why not? My brother hates the idea of Disney - don't know why since we grew up going there all the time. My 7 year old was so excited to show his best buddy all the wonderful things of the Fort, I was so looking forward to relaxing with my sister in law and family. Of all the trips, this one hurt my heart the most. We were going to share a place that brought us so much joy.

The other trip that hurt was my kids NYC trip that we gave them for Christmas. Great flights on points, my mom's cousin was lending us his second-home apartment by Columbus Circle (for free!), so we were going to be able to splurge some on food and experiences. My eldest is a junior and every day I become more acutely aware of how his life with relation to us as a family will change. I'm trying to virtually plan a trip for next summer to Italy - finding the Airbnb that is perfect, defining a route - and then I will see when (if ever) in the next year I am comfortable firming up those plan.

But on a positive note, despite all the difficulties it brings, I am so so so thankful that we are living with my parents during this time. He has a bad cancer that is being managed very well but is terminal and the depression of living with that knowledge runs deep. I can't imagine how much worse they would have emerged mentally, physically, and emotionally if we weren't here. We are a loud, messy bunch that keeps them company, gives my mom a reason to cook and engage. My kids help my dad with his business bookkeeping and he is reinforcing their Spanish lessons. It's definitely our silver lining.

I love JB! which is why I'm tempted yet horrified by the mask policy inflight. If this is the new normal I'll be driving everywhere I guess. Then again, I can easily get direct from east coast to west coast with just those points...... I'm weak!
I don't blame you. My husband has already told me that he does not want to fly for at least a year. We have reservations at Disney in November and also late Feb - early March. If I had to guess what we will do is end up cancelling November. Possibly going on the second trip but driving down to Florida and taking an extra week doing something else while we are there too - perhaps Sanibel or Captiva. If that doesn't work out we might not be able to go until the next fall and I really don't want to wait that long.

How is everyone handling potential trips to WDW later this year? Are you planning like normal or preemptively cancelling? Our next trip is supposed to be November. I haven't let myself do much planning yet.
I know there has been some discussion of this but I've been mostly skimming lately..🙈

Our next trip is late October/ early November for Food & Wine, and the Wine and Dine races. We are proceeding as if those trips will happen. Even if it's not totally safe to be out in public, as of now we figure we're fine relaxing around the resorts most of the time if necessary. We'll probably need the break from home by that point.

We are registered for the races and have MNSSHP tickets, I'm much less sure those will happen.

Lots to catch-up on here, but I just got a crazy email from United about changing flights through 5/31/20. I assumed I had longer than 4/30/20 to decide what to do with my October flights, but it actually seems like United is removing the 24-month voucher option if your departure is after 5/31/20. The website phrasing changed and my self-service cancellation options via my trips changed. It looks like United is only offering 12-months of no change fees vs the option of that and the 24-month voucher. So terrible!

I called United and the CSR said she could still get me the 24-month voucher with “supervisor approval.” She came back within one second after speaking with the “supervisor.” I assume it’s because United previously advertised the 24-month voucher through 4/30/20. I was only waiting until 4/30/20 to get the longest possible voucher, but this really stressed me out.

Waiting for my electronic voucher in 5-21 days. Good luck to anyone with flights. THANKS UNITED… NOT 😒

New phrasing on the website "If your travel plans have been impacted by COVID-19 and you were scheduled to travel before May 31, 2020, you’re eligible for a travel credit that allows you to apply the full value of your ticket to any new flight booked within 24 months."

IDK if United just changed the phrasing and options online in preparation of 5/1/20, but it really rubs me the wrong way. I really should not be shocked by anything United does, but here I am. 😂
That is whack. I didn't like United before (but we're in a hub so that's one of the main airlines that flies nonstop anywhere from here) and my feelings about them have soured even more. Didn't they change their terms regarding refunds resulting from significant travel change from 2 hours to 25 hours at the start of all this? Then they didn't issue refunds but forced a travel voucher. And now they're not even offering the 24 month travel voucher? And wasn't today, 4/30, the deadline to get the 24 month voucher, so why did they give you that added stress of having to get "supervisor approval"? Ugh.

United canceled my July and August flights to/from Europe, ones I had booked with UR points thru the CSR portal. I called Chase Travel yesterday, and the rep was able to issue me a full refund of URs and cash for the flights, which I'm very glad for. I have no idea how I would use $7900 worth of United travel credit (the 1.5x amount) even in 24 months. It's only worthwhile for me for international flights, and I think that situation is going to be dicey for quite a while as each country has to figure its way through. We had plans to fly into Spain in July, and I read last week that the hotels there are closed until September and the plans were to not open to tourists until 2021 at the earliest. And there's this potential 2nd wave thing looming over our heads depending on how things go, so this autumn could change things up yet again. It is tough to be a planner these days! And I mean people who like to have a plan, not only people who plan for a living.

Thank you for this. And I want to say that I am very thankful for my Churning Family.

We have a trip over thanksgiving planned. Nothing much else to plan though, hotel booked with AA miles and we'll be driving. As of right now, I'm still planning on going.

That is whack. I didn't like United before (but we're in a hub so that's one of the main airlines that flies nonstop anywhere from here) and my feelings about them have soured even more. Didn't they change their terms regarding refunds resulting from significant travel change from 2 hours to 25 hours at the start of all this? Then they didn't issue refunds but forced a travel voucher. And now they're not even offering the 24 month travel voucher? And wasn't today, 4/30, the deadline to get the 24 month voucher, so why did they give you that added stress of having to get "supervisor approval"? Ugh.

United canceled my July and August flights to/from Europe, ones I had booked with UR points thru the CSR portal. I called Chase Travel yesterday, and the rep was able to issue me a full refund of URs and cash for the flights, which I'm very glad for. I have no idea how I would use $7900 worth of United travel credit (the 1.5x amount) even in 24 months. It's only worthwhile for me for international flights, and I think that situation is going to be dicey for quite a while as each country has to figure its way through. We had plans to fly into Spain in July, and I read last week that the hotels there are closed until September and the plans were to not open to tourists until 2021 at the earliest. And there's this potential 2nd wave thing looming over our heads depending on how things go, so this autumn could change things up yet again. It is tough to be a planner these days! And I mean people who like to have a plan, not only people who plan for a living.

Sorry about your trip :( Thanks for the info on your UR refunds. I think I'm going to book one way United flights to Hawaii soon using URs. Our trip won't be until Christmas, but hopefully the cancellation policies with Chase/United will be similar if a second wave were to come through then. Worst case scenario, the flights are 25k URs pp so I'm our 50k URs. Not ideal, but also not the end of the world. I'm still going to wait a while before booking return flights home form HNL to see how the situation is shaping up. It's much easier to find out flights out of there, but the good flights to Kauai are harder to find.

I feel like I'm just bouncing all over the place in terms of trips and booking and everything else. I'm checking the AA website waiting for flights to open up there to rebook Japan as well. Now I can't decide if I want to just rebook the exact same trip we had planned before and call it a day, or if I want to try to revamp and do something slightly different. I'm just tired of things not being settled with my trips.

I had a 4 night BWV trip already booked through a DVC rental company in Oct. I cancelled my May trip booked on rented DVC points and the owner was able to move it to October so I now have 10 nights total in Oct. (Had to take SSR instead of BC but I'm OK with that.) I just hope it happens. I was really looking forward to F&G but nothing to be done.

My name is almost always spelled wrong too. After 50 years I am used to it 😜
My name has an Irish spelling because my mom was born there. I like my name, I don't mind spelling it for people as I'm used to it, but I get a bit ticked off when people look at a form and assume it is spelled wrong. One guy went so far as to question whether my mother knew how to spell. He was trying to sell me something, obviously that sale did not go through!

Last edited:
Barclay issued me 3,047 AA points for my now closed Aviator. That was a nice parting gift. My husband decided not to cancel his because he realized that the roofer takes credit cards with no fees. We need an additional 55k AA points for 6 RT tickets to Europe so yay for 11k more. I was planning on accruing them through a mix of his business travel and Plastiq but business travel is out. This worked out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter