I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw them and they are very cute! I already ordered some Disney themed ones from somoeone I found on Etsy.
Same here, although the person I bought from is an avid seamstress and someone I met at a runDisney race. She also has an Etsy shop but I found out about her masks on FB. I got one with The Child, another Star Wars fabric, Minnie Mouse and runDisney Mickeys.

Would you mind sharing or PM'ing me their info please? I haven't had the best luck with Etsy orders lately and would like some Disney mask just in case. Thank you!

I've been forbidden from posting this on facebook, but my DD will never find it here and I need to brag. She won a nice monetary award from her department at the end of year virtual dinner for "outstanding work" in the department! Her senior year was ruined this March, but this recognition of all her hard work is very gratifying.

I've been forbidden from posting this on facebook, but my DD will never find it here and I need to brag. She won a nice monetary award from her department at the end of year virtual dinner for "outstanding work" in the department! Her senior year was ruined this March, but this recognition of all her hard work is very gratifying.
Congrats to your DD...really enjoy hearing good news....thanks for sharing

Congratulations! I’m sure you have every right to be proud!

I was going to answer this last night, but I was struggling to find the words, and then @SouthFayetteFan said it much better than I would have. But, I'm going to it doesn't matter if it's just a small trip, if you've been before, or whatever. What matters is that it's a big disappointment and all that hard work to plan a trip that gets cancelled and the anticipation of a great trip coming up just gets lost. I know it's not the same as being sick, or losing a family member or a friend, but it still does matter. So please feel free to share here. I'm extremely disappointed that our trip this summer isn't going to happen. I love the idea of making it a traditional trip for each kid as they reach 13 - I hope your DS can have his trip next year at least.

For us, I cancelled our summer cruise on the Magic, but not the flights and hotels in Copenhagen and Paris yet, mainly because I am struggling to face the fact that all that hard work, points collecting, planning, etc. is going to waste. Plus I really, really loved this itinerary and really just want to go. It may pale in comparison to my friends who have 3-4 international trips on the line, or my friend whose DD's wedding in Kona in June is in jeopardy, but it still saddens me all the same.

Hang in there, everyone. :grouphug:

I with you, I was just trying to convey this to my husband tonight. We have 2 weeks in HI in July planned, flights, hotels, 6 nights at the Grand Wailea, ect. My DH was talking tonight about cancelling everything vs waiting for the airlines to cancel. So far Delta hasn't cancelled the flight but I anticiapte it coming. My oldest DD is very much against getting on a plane right now and while I completely understand, as I told them, I just can't bring myself to admit that this trip isn't going to happen yet. Even though I understand it intellectually, my heart doesn't want to give up on it. It's a big aspirational trip and between school and summer schedules we had found a way to make it work. Add to it that I already feel the squeeze of not-too-many family trips left in our future. I also can't emotionally admit to myself that I may be stuck in this house with everyone until the girls hopefully go back to school in August. Like many of you, the anticipation of these trips is what gets us through the mundane daily tasks of life. I also realize we have it very good, we are both working from home, we have our regular income, so many things that others don't but my summer trips are what gets me through the rest of the year. Ugh!

An @SouthFayetteFan Fireside Chat: Churning in 2020 - The year of sadness?
Special credit on this one goes out to @mamathompson who has identified a source of sadness that I feel permeates our community of DISchurners...

First off - I'd like to make it known that nothing I'm about to say is intended to disrespect the larger picture in all of this. Life, Finances, Futures, etc., certainly take precedence. Others point to what certain groups (i.e. children, seniors in HS, etc.) are losing right now, and I do not mean to invalidate that either...BUT can we just take a moment and mourn churning in 2020 and the abundance of travel that this game provides for, that has been cut off in the midst of this current situation.

Our lives are finite, we redeem our days for work, for parenting, for other worldly duties, and as churners, we complete these tasks and handle these responsibilities with a hope that is often founded in the respite that our trips, nay the fruits of our churning labor, bring to us! Moments, memories, and meaningful time set aside to step back from the daily life and seek that which brings us all a shared joy: travel!

Yet in the midst of all of this, we are losing days. Days, that we will never get back. Our sons and daughters will never be this age again. Other family may have limited time left with us (or limited time with ability to travel). Our vacation time at work also may have limitations, policies that restrict our abilities to roll them forward into the future.

If you're sad that you're losing a trip...if you're worried that you're going to lose a trip...THAT IS OK! If you feel selfish even thinking about the potential of a trip...DON'T! It doesn't make you a heartless selfish person... we can certainly balance frustration and sadness over the larger picture with our personal feelings on where it hits home the most with us!

Allow me to get personal for a moment (not typically something I like to do in a fireside chat):
I had somebody at work recently ask me why I don't just reschedule the trip I'm worried about in June. (Now not to pick on a generation...but as a childless millennial I think they may have been out of touch with what a summer for a family of 4 looks like). I said, "Well, between golf camp, soccer camp, basketball camp, cheerleading camp, bible school, a family reunion, summer swim team, and coordinating the schedules of 3 different family units... rescheduling something we put on the calendar 7 months ago isn't exactly easy." Now who knows if half of these events will even happen... but sometimes it isn't as easy as "just reschedule!"

My parents are getting older, and as many of you know our Captiva trip each year is my slice of paradise. Basically it's the week I work for all year. And it's in the cross-hairs, and it might be lost, and I don't know that we can reschedule it yet. And as I pondered the words of @mamathompson earlier, I thought to myself: "how many more Captiva trips do we have like this?" Parents getting older, my kids getting older, my sister probably going to start a family at some point. What if we only have 10 of these left...or 5 of these left...what if we just lost one of those 5?? It's sad, it really is! This is a trip we've done 7 straight years... and if I had my way we'd do it 20 more in a row!

But I digress from the personal stuff - I think we all in some way are feeling that right now. That special trip for a 13 year old. That last trip as a family before somebody moves out to college. The first trip for a new addition to the family. And you know what, it's ok to feel bad about that! And I get it, you can't just reschedule!! And even if you can, it might not be the same...and it's ok to be frustrated about that too!

Some simple reminders and takeaways:
  • Some people here go on trips monthly, it'd be easy to criticize their sadness and say "well at least you went on 3 trips already this year". DON'T DO THAT... their sadness is valid!
  • Some people here are only able to go on ONE trip a year, share in their sadness and realize how difficult it may have been for them to arrange that
  • Some people are losing major international trips that aren't easy to put together, respect the effort that may have gone into that and understand that moving that trip could mean hours upon hours of work and lost value of their money and points.
  • Some people are losing annual trips that seem repetitive, illogical even, embrace the fact that their style is different than yours and maybe that trip is special to them in some way that you can't even comprehend.
So friends, we rally together right now and realize that while the "burn" portion of the hobby is on hold, all we can do is embrace the "earn" portion and encourage one another and especially support one another in what I would say are very valid feelings of sadness.

We will never get today back...and somebody somewhere missed out on something today...and it's ok to be sad about that.
I love the way you put it. I had mentioned my sadness over my trip to my mom and she really blew it off. May-turned-July was important to me, as a mom. I felt, and still do, a real need to have this trip with my oldest son before deployment. I can't explain it, other than it's a strong need I have. Now, it's looking more and more as if he won't make it. I flop back and forth between ignoring that fact while continuing to plan and feeling really, really sad. Four of us will very, very likely go in July, but it was supposed to be five. His last trip was 2017 and I don't know when he'll be able to go again. There's really no one that I can even purge my sadness to because, outside of here, no one seems to get it. But, yeah, kids growing up and moving on in life is a large reason why Hawaii was so important to me. That was our last family vacation before I gained a daughter-in-law.

Ummm quoting SVU is totally a normal thing...right??? 🤣

I love how you can trace almost every actor back to SVU. So Many people have guest starred!!!

My cousin graduated from the American Academy of the Dramatic Arts here in NY back in the 80s and we always joke that Law & Order is just a workfare program for local actors. Nearly every time we would sit and watch an episode he would say "oh I went to school with that dude". It seems like he was the only one who was never on it!:rotfl2:

I love the way you put it. I had mentioned my sadness over my trip to my mom and she really blew it off. May-turned-July was important to me, as a mom. I felt, and still do, a real need to have this trip with my oldest son before deployment. I can't explain it, other than it's a strong need I have. Now, it's looking more and more as if he won't make it. I flop back and forth between ignoring that fact while continuing to plan and feeling really, really sad. Four of us will very, very likely go in July, but it was supposed to be five. His last trip was 2017 and I don't know when he'll be able to go again. There's really no one that I can even purge my sadness to because, outside of here, no one seems to get it. But, yeah, kids growing up and moving on in life is a large reason why Hawaii was so important to me. That was our last family vacation before I gained a daughter-in-law.

I am so behind and can’t even begin to catch up. I guess add that to the list of things I never thought would happen when 2020 started. Popped in every couple days to read last pages then give up again.

Thanks @SouthFayetteFan for your thoughts. Thanks @snugglebug for yours. I feel like I don’t have a right to complain but cancelled trip after cancelled trip is just depressing. I am in a position where personally we are fine but I have 3 girls who are sad despite everything too and I seriously think are probably getting stupider the longer this goes on. As a parent it is hard to tell them to what to look forward too when no planned trips or vacations are even certain. I guess no one other than those on this thread really get it (my mom certainly does not). My husband tries but the reality is he is happy as can be that he can continue the self isolating which has been his goal since he was a child! He saves money and does not have to leave the house equals win in his book.

Big trips or small trips, one trip or a lot of trips, it is all painful and when so much of it is tied to points and miles with credit cards it makes it even more difficult. Right now I personally have way too many e credits with Delta and way too mugh money in Disney gift cards.

Tomorrow I will get over myself and apply for another card. I would have done it sooner but also strangely busy. Thank goodness April finally finished. Fingers crossed we finally have good news start to come in with May.

Surprised no one has posted this yet

Not sure I like the streaming. I only have D+ now because there's nothing on tv. I don't need $20 worth of streaming a month when we already have satellite. Hoping there's a way to do gc or something for it to work. Also curious how much we'll have to pay on the cell bill for it to work each month. Internet would have been better than cell for me at least. Hoping these don't take away credit either to give them. Will be interesting to see what all actually is done.

Oh also, I went to the hospital today to get help in person from the lactation consultant and it helped so much! I’ve been feeding him with a lot less issues!! I honestly am extremely thankful and feeling so much more confident with my little guy. My issue was that I wasn’t feeling a tug from him so I thought he wasn’t latched but she weighed him before and after eating and he ate 2 oz in about 10-15 minutes.

I feel like we've lost so much as family this year - from my dd19's long-awaited DCP, to all the trips we were supposed to make to see her (and the reason we bought AP's for the very first time), to dd17's loss of leadership camp, Poland mission trip, biggest dance performance of her life, first prom we'd agreed to let her go to with a boy, to both ds's basketball season ending abrupting, baseball getting cancelled - it's just been one big year of loss and while the loss of travel has been big, it's honestly been stuff in our regular day-to-day life that has been just as hard. As I type this right now, my dd17 is sitting here crying. We just learned today about her big dance performance getting cancelled. We're still processing this news :(

My dh is also one who is happy as clam to have this continue cause he likes working from home and is an introvert so he's pretty good with the way things are. I mean that he doesn't dismiss those who have gotten sick but he also kind of likes this whole 'let's hunker down' thing. I hate it. So we're a bit at odds there. In the end, we hate the losses this has brought to our family and others. It's hard. There is no other way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest