I don't know a word of Japanese! - A COMPLETED TR!

I used to love doing the City To Surf, but I haven't done it in over 10 years :upsidedow

I really should finish this trip report... It's all typed, the photos are all loaded... I just need to get my hard drive, plug it into the computer and post it... :rotfl:

Maybe this weekend...

Hello fellow Aussie:wave2:

I have just read all of your trip report and have enjoyed every minute so far! ( in fact I think I have put on a few kilos looking at all that food but then lost them again after the big trek up the hill:lmao: !!!!!)

I am very very interested as we have just finalised the dates and itinerary for our next big trip. We will be doing 4 castles in the one trip - Sydney to Hong Kong to Tokyo to Orlando to Anaheim to Sydney with a few stops in between! It is still 2 years away yet, but I will need that much time to get it all organised being the uber planner that I am!::yes::

So, thanks so much for your report. I have some tips written down all ready!:thumbsup2

Thanks for reading along. That's an awesome trip you have planned. I'm very jealous!

This morning we were up relatively early, but not super early – our bodies were resenting this commando touring holiday we’d taken them on. :faint:

Today we were going to check out Nara. It was pretty easy to find the right platform all we needed to do was follow the big signs with pictures of deer on them.

The ticketing was a bit confusing, but I think we worked it out in the end. It was either pay a bit extra for a reserved seat, or wait an extra 45 minutes, and catch an unreserved train. We paid a bit extra and boarded the train.

We worked out along the trip that the train was going to split in two, with only half continuing on to Nara. We had no idea which half was going to Nara. :confused: After asking 3 separate groups of people – including someone who worked on the train – we still had no idea which half was going to Nara, as they all gave us different answers. Damn language barrier! :headache:

Luckily a little old lady – who spoke perfect English – informed us, as we pulled into the station where the train would split, that we were in the right carriage, and just to stay put. That doesn’t mean that as the train pulled away from the station we weren’t holding our breath waiting for the next station to be announced. :eek:

Sure enough it was the right one, and DH and I grinned stupidly at each other as we let ourselves relax. :rolleyes1

Once we arrived in Nara we headed out of the station, not exactly sure where the deer park was, or how we’d get there. Luckily there were more signs pointing the way and we realised it was just a couple of short blocks.

Almost straight away saw a few deer and I got a bit excited. They were behind a little wooden fence though, so we kept walking towards the park.

Then we saw a few more

DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Then more again.

DSC_0008-4.jpg

DSC_0009-3.jpg

Lots and lots of deer everywhere!

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0020-2.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0024-2.jpg

DSC_0028-3.jpg

DSC_0037-2.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040-2.jpg

DSC_0045-3.jpg

Nara is so cool! It was such a beautiful place, with wild roaming deer all over the place! We giggled at a few people trying to feed the deer little discs of deer food. We learnt by watching that if you stand your ground and hand out the discs then the deer will gently take them from you, but if you get worried and start backing away from the deer, then they start getting antsy themselves and will occasionally rear up on their hind legs to try and get at the food.

DSC_0049-1.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0064-2.jpg

So we saw many a small child running scared from hungry deer.

We played amongst the deer for ages. How could we not? They were so much fun!

DSC_0118-1.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

You can get a rickshaw ride through the streets of Nara, which I really wanted to do, but it was another hot day in Japan, and DH thought it felt a bit mean to expect some guy to run while pulling our weight.

DSC_0102.jpg

Soon we were looking for something to cool us down.

Kaki gori! I know this stuff! Ive bought it at WDW!

DSC_0122-2.jpg

However let me just say that the stuff at WDW is just like a snow cone (In my experience any way) this stuff was different! If fairy floss (cotton candy) was made out of ice then this is what it would be like! It was so amazingly awesome! I wish I had some more right now!

We followed the street signs, which showed us the way to see the Big Buddha. Big is an understatement! :scared1:

DSC_0173-1.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

See how small those people are who are near the building? Use that to work out how big the building is.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

Now the Buddha goes from the ground, right up to the ceiling. It is massive!
You also have the option of trying to fit yourself through the Buddha’s nostril. I didn’t quite get how this worked, as the nostril was way up near the roof, there was no way anyone could get up there! Then I realised that one of the pillars for the building has a hole cut through it, which is supposed to be the same size as the Buddha’s nose.

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that only small children were squeezing themselves through the hole, as I really wanted to try and go through myself – you can never have too much prosperity!!

DSC_0208.jpg

Then all of a sudden I saw a full grown man size the hole up. Then in he went! It looked like a tight fit, but he made it out the other side, without needing the jaws of life.

DSC_0211.jpg

I figured if he could do it, then I could definitely do it!

I made it! Hurray for prosperity!!

DSC_0214.jpg

There are lots of other relics and artefacts inside the building too, as well as a little souvenir shop.

DSC_0192-2.jpg

DSC_0194-1.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0207-1.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

We then made our way back outside, and DH decided he needed a shower to cool down.

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

We walked back the way we came and decided to have a look inside the Todaiji Culture Centre. It was blessedly cool inside, and I thought I’d get a translator to work out what I was looking at.

DSC_0245.jpg

The translator wasn’t really worth it for me, but just being in out of the heat was feeling oh so good. So the museum was worth it.

More deer

DSC_0130-1.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0139-2.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

We then headed off in another direction to see what else was in Nara. Nara is such a beautiful town and we really loved it here. It was so green and peaceful. DH comes from a farm so he felt really relaxed to just be able to wander among the deer. If we decide to go back to Japan one day, I think I’ll book us accommodation at Nara for a few days. Even if it’s just to wind down.

DSC_0243.jpg

(This one has a toy!)

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0266-1.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

We stopped heading in this new direction when we found out that at the end of the pathway was another hill that you could climb. We’d had our fill of climbing the day before, so we started heading back to find some lunch.

We ended up buying some sushi from a seven eleven – we were not very hungry and we wanted something cold, whereas most of the places around were only selling hot meals.

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0291-1.jpg

We ate our sushi on the train home.

Once we arrived back in Kyoto we decided to try a shopping centre we’d spotted from the train, which was on the opposite side of the train station compared to us. We needed to buy some souvenirs and were really running out of time.

This picture shows how much the people of Kyoto rely on bikes as a mode of transport.

DSC_0292.jpg

On the walk back to our hotel we stopped in for some drinks at an Irish pub – isn’t that what all Australian tourists do on holidays? Find Irish pubs??
The Olympics had started so we watch a bit of the coverage on TV and chatted to the barman who was really impressive. He was from Spain, and spoke fluent English and Japanese (as well as Spanish of course) I wish I had the discipline to learn another language.

It was dark by the time we left the pub and made our way back to our room. I can’t remember what we did in the room, but by the time we were ready for dinner everything had started shutting again… So we wandered the streets a bit until we found a little hole in the wall restaurant that was happy to seat us.

I had a tempura prawn noodle soup and DH had some barbequed eel, and we shared two different types of chicken.

P7280005.jpg

P7280007.jpg

P7280009.jpg

P7280008.jpg

P7280010.jpg

My meal was tasty, but the tempura went soggy pretty quickly. DH loved his eel! I’m pretty sure he decided it was the best meal of the trip, except he got a tiny bone stuck in the roof of his mouth, which spoiled it a bit for him :lmao:.

There was a little fortune telling machine on the table called Secret Ball – you twist the machine to your star sign and it drops out a little secret ball, with a message inside. The name secret ball reminded me of a cartoon (the line from the cartoon is “secret tunnel” but that didn’t stop me from singing “secret ball” to the tune of the song they sung, and I had to have one. Unfortunately it was written in Japanese, but I’m still glad I got it… Not sure why…

P7280011.jpg

“secret, secret, secret tunnel!”

We then stopped off at a 7/11 for some chocolate for dessert and headed back to hotel Granvia.

I snapped another couple of these photos before heading back to our room, and sleep.

P7290014.jpg

P7290015.jpg

Now that ends the last of the massively photo filled posts. Until I get around to posting all the photos that I've left out, but still want to post...

The last few days of the TR don't really have much in the way of photos...

Oh my those deer are just too gorgeous! I have just shown DD who is animal mad, so Nara has just been added to the itinerary:)

A quick question if I may. Do you think 3 days will cover both Disney parks? the whole reason for this massive trip is primarily for me ( the Disneyland fanatic!!! ) to cross off 4 castles in one trip! So, I am looking at spending just 4 nights in Japan, but happy to extend if we will need 3 full days at Disney.

We also would like to see a little traditional Japan so if we add Nara we should have that side of things covered!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!::yes::

What time of year are you going? Check crowd calendars to see how busy it will be, but we really could have done it in 2 days.

Also don't forget that Nara is closer to Kyoto which is 3 hours away from Tokyo on the bullet train. It's a day trip from Kyoto but probably not from Tokyo

I checked the distance and it seems Nara will be a bit far out for this trip! We will just be sticking to Tokyo! We are going to be there mid December so I am assuming it may be busy with the Christmas season being in full swing! Not too sure what the parks in japan do for Christmas but that is something else I will add to the research list!!!
I think we will just allow 3 days for Disney and 1 day sight seeing/shopping in Tokyo itself!:thumbsup2

Today was our last day in Japan, and was mostly a travelling day. We were booked on a 1:33pm bullet train and an evening flight home. Unfortunately I think I’ve only got 1 pic for all of today.

We more or less just hung around our hotel until check out at 12pm packing our bags and watching a movie about Stephan Hawking on TV.

We checked out and left our bags with concierge so we could have a last look around the shops.

We headed underground to have a look around porta, as we really hadn’t seen much of it. It goes further then it looks, and then there’s a short hallway, which joins onto another underground shopping centre, which goes on even further.

I wasted some money on some really pretty blingy hair accessories – which I still haven’t worked out how to use. :confused3

At around 1:00pm we picked up our bags from Hotel Granvia and headed into the train station. We asked for directions to the right platform and waited there for the train. There wasn’t a nice air conditioned waiting room like there was at Tokyo, so we waited with everyone else in the heat.

P7290023.jpg

We had another quick and seamless ride back to Tokyo, and once again found that one minute it would be rainy and crappy outside, then we’d pass through a tunnel and find ourselves in blue skies with the sun shining brightly. Weird… :lmao:

We transferred at Tokyo station onto the Narita express and continued on the journey. The narita express is great, they have TV screens which rotate between the news and whether flights from the airport are leaving on time or are delayed. Our flight was apparently on time!

Unfortunately once we got to Narita airport there was some confusion with our tickets. We couldn’t get through the turnstiles and could not work out why. We weren’t the only ones who were stuck either. There was quite a line up of people at the larger gate trying to work out why their tickets weren’t allowing them through the turnstiles.

When it got to our turn we were advised that we had to pay more for our ticket… I really don’t get why… We’d paid for our train rides all the way from Kyoto to Narita airport and the tickets specifically said they included the Narita express, but for some reason we still had to pay something like an extra 1400Y to get through…

Maybe someone here can explain why we had to pay extra? :confused:

It didn’t matter too much though, as I was able to use the rest of my Japanese Yen to get through, and didn’t have to worry about having worthless Yen once we arrived in Australia.

We checked in for our flight and sent our bags off, and decided to try and find some dinner, as DH was getting hungry and grumpy. :furious:

We caught the monorail over towards our gate to find a sit down restaurant to relax in, but there were only 2 food options, a noodle house and a little convenience store like place. We didn’t really want food from either place, so we thought we’d go back across to the other side of the air port and try our luck over there. So back on the monorail we went.

Narita might be really well organised and efficient, but after going through security it’s pretty crappy. Seriously there are next to no food options, a handful of duty free, all selling the same stuff. :rolleyes2

Eventually we found a counter service restaurant that had a menu that appealed and plenty of tables to eat at.

I didn’t get photos, sorry, but DH had a wasabi beef hamburger, which he really enjoyed and I had some fried chicken, which was OK, but nothing to write home about, and we shared some chips.

Eventually we moved to our gate and boarded another fully booked flight home.

It was another quick uneventful flight. I think I watched two movies, and slept a bit.

We arrived in Sydney pretty tired and smelly. There was a long nasty line at customs and immigration and it was moving slowly. We let a woman in front of us who was worried about missing her connecting flight. Eventually we were waved through and headed outside to where we’d parked our car.

Stupidly we had boarded in Japan during 40 degree temperatures – and were dressed accordingly – and landed in Sydney to minus temps as it was something like 6:30am. It wasn’t very nice and straight away I missed the heat. It may have only been a couple of hundred metres from the door to our car, but wearing shorts and a singlet top made it very uncomfortable. :crazy2:

We then settled in for a five hour drive home. I tell you what there is no longer drive than 5 hours when you’ve just gotten off a long flight. We’ve done it a couple of times and it never gets any easier… :sad2:

Here's my stash!

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

And my puppy dog in his Mickey Jumper!

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

The drinks, the hand fans, the slippers and the baby outfit and a few other things are all souvenirs. So we didn't really buy much :rotfl2:

So that's pretty much the TR completed! I promise once I get around to editing all of my pics I'll post my favourites. I have so many more compared to the ones I've already posted! :rotfl:

Thank-you so much for finishing - I have been intently reading along - but will go back now and read through from the start.

I hadnt considered Nara, but will put it on the itinerary now

Love the photos of your doggy!!

We plan on making the same journey back to Narita from Kyoto - Was the 1400 extra per person or for the both of you - I will be mighty unhappy if we are charged an extra 7000 yen for the five of us!
We will have a JR pass if that makes a difference.

Do you remember the average cost of your meals? I am budgeting for $250 per day for the family - hopefully some days will be under.

I'm pretty sure the 1400 was for the two of us. We had JR passes as well - maybe there wasn't enough credit left on them for our tickets? :confused3

Meal prices over there are pretty similar to here - you can spend a fortune on a nice sit down meal with fancy table service, or you can find a little hole in the wall like place where you sit at a bar surrounding the kitchen and get a quite cheap noodle like meal. I think I preferred the hole in the wall places. Just find one that offers an English menu, and there will be someone inside that also speaks English.

Or you can always get fast food - Maccas, KFC, or similar places are everywhere. You know what you're getting, and you can work out how much it will cost before you order it. I can almost guarantee you'll opt for this once or twice when the language barrier becomes too much! :lmao:

Thanks, I know we will hit up the chains but gosh I hope we don't go there too much. I always avoid using credit on holiday, so like to have a pretty good idea of what our costs are going to be. If I could buy a dining plan I would!

Your puppy is super cute! It was fun reading your trip report!

Thanks, he turned 8 this year, but he'll always be my puppy! :goodvibes

Thanks, I know we will hit up the chains but gosh I hope we don't go there too much. I always avoid using credit on holiday, so like to have a pretty good idea of what our costs are going to be. If I could buy a dining plan I would!

Yeah I know! It's so hard! I think if you budget up to $50 per person per meal at the expensive places, and up to $10 per person per meal at the cheap places will be more then enough.

I love your stash....and all those Bambi pictures.

And I was off the Dis for a couple of days only to come back to find that you're completed your TR??

So sad....I was so enjoying your pictures and your days. Thanks for sharing.

Hello fellow Aussie:wave2:

I have just read all of your trip report and have enjoyed every minute so far! ( in fact I think I have put on a few kilos looking at all that food but then lost them again after the big trek up the hill:lmao: !!!!!)

I am very very interested as we have just finalised the dates and itinerary for our next big trip. We will be doing 4 castles in the one trip - Sydney to Hong Kong to Tokyo to Orlando to Anaheim to Sydney with a few stops in between! It is still 2 years away yet, but I will need that much time to get it all organised being the uber planner that I am!::yes::

So, thanks so much for your report. I have some tips written down all ready!:thumbsup2

Congrats on the new plan. 4 castles would be an awesome trip to plan for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter