How would you do it.?

Chili327

DIS Veteran
I am planning my first trip ever to WDW later this year/early next year (lots will change by then, but i figured why not get a head start).

Not sure if it helps that replies and suggestion are from people that are familiar with DLR or not, but I'll leave that up to you all. :)

Couple of things to note:
1. Never been to WDW, but was a pass holder at Disneyland for years and have been 100's of times, currently go about once a year (3 day hopper)
2. Feeling out WDW & DVC in general to see if I want to buy more points, & if so, would those points be for Orlando, or CA (VGC/VDH).
3. Traveling Solo (most likely), so everything is doable any time and anywhere.
4. 7-Day Hopper, but will need to decide what park to reserve for each day to start, but will most likely not hop around too much, unless MK & DHS really feel too similar to DLR & DCA.

My plan is Late Jan (Sun, Jan 28) AKL 3 nights, then BRV for 5 nights. (9 days total including travel)
So i was thinking:
Day 1 - Travel, check in late at AKL (maybe get some food if not too late)
Day 2 - AK (probably late start, so breakfast/lunch at AKL)
Day 3 - AK (probably dinner at AKL)
Day 4 - Split over to BRV after going to Olivias (brunch), & Disney Springs for late lunch? (possibly other resorts on the way & throughout the day) possibly add in an after hours event.?
Day 5 - Epcot - Boat to MK, Monorail to Epcot (probably check out BWV & BCV)
Day 6 - MK - Boat to MK, MK all day (Maybe check out Poly for lunch or dinner)
Day 7 - DHS - Boat to MK or possibly another way (uber/lyft) to end up at DHS
Day 8 - Epcot? - Wherever i feel like i need to go again (probably Epcot)
Day 9 - Breakfast somewhere cool, then travel home. :(

After-hours events are a definite possibility as well as extended hours, if available? (all new to me)
Also, I'm a West Coaster, so if you have suggestions on flight suggestions, etc to make it easier/better. I'm afraid I'm going to get to AKL at 11pm at night.?? (wasted the first night)
Anything you would suggest... Food, itinerary, views, certain parks on certain days (remember Epcot & AK are really new to me parks), or even if a different time of year is better than late Jan/Early Feb. I just know its less humidity & somewhat cheaper. (my travel period is Sept-March, & my Use Year is June)

Not sure what other info to add, but I can edit/add as we get closer. ;)

- - - Updated Itinerary - - -

Day 1 (Sat) - Travel, AKV
Day 2 (Sun) - AK, AKV
Day 3 (Mon) - AK, BW/BC (hop to Epcot for EEH)
Day 4 (Tues) - Epcot, BW/BC (hop to MK for EEH)
Day 5 (Wed) - MK/DHS/Epcot, BW/BC (hop to MK/Epcot for EEH)
Day 6 (Thurs) - MK/DHS/Epcot, BRV (or DS?)
Day 7 (Fri) - MK/DHS/Epcot, BRV (or DS?
Day 8 (Sat) - MK/DHS/Epcot, BRV (or DS?)
Day 9 (Sun) - MK/DHS/Epcot, BRV (or DS?)
Day 10 (Mon) - MK/DHS/Epcot, BRV (hop to Epcot for EEH)
Day 11 (Tues) - Travel, Home

7 Month window opens tonight, and I think I have it somewhat nailed down... We'll see how it pans out.
AKV for the first 2 nights, then BW/BC for 3 nights, then BRV for 5 nights.

The only issue will be the BW/BC for 3 nights in the middle of the trip that I will need to waitlist (& transfer/rent 5 points to be able to make), and if for some reason that waitlist doesn't come through, I'll need to have some sort of backup plan. What would be the best option in a pinch? (at 30 days out)

9-Day Hopper (or 10-Day in case I have time and want to get into a park on a travel day… doubtful?)

Last edited:
I am planning my first trip ever to WDW later this year/early next year (lots will change by then, but i figured why not get a head start).

Not sure if it helps that replies and suggestion are from people that are familiar with DLR or not, but I'll leave that up to you all. :)

Couple of things to note:
1. Never been to WDW, but was a pass holder at Disneyland for years and have been 100's of times, currently go about once a year (3 day hopper)
2. Feeling out WDW & DVC in general to see if I want to buy more points, & if so, would those points be for Orlando, or CA (VGC/VDH).
3. Traveling Solo (most likely), so everything is doable any time and anywhere.
4. 7-Day Hopper, but will need to decide what park to reserve for each day to start, but will most likely not hop around too much, unless MK & DHS really feel too similar to DLR & DCA.

My plan is Late Jan (Sun, Jan 28) AKL 3 nights, then BRV for 5 nights. (9 days total including travel)
So i was thinking:
Day 1 - Travel, check in late at AKL (maybe get some food if not too late)
Day 2 - AK (probably late start, so breakfast/lunch at AKL)
Day 3 - AK (probably dinner at AKL)
Day 4 - Split over to BRV after going to Olivias (brunch), & Disney Springs for late lunch? (possibly other resorts on the way & throughout the day) possibly add in an after hours event.?
Day 5 - Epcot - Boat to MK, Monorail to Epcot (probably check out BWV & BCV)
Day 6 - MK - Boat to MK, MK all day (Maybe check out Poly for lunch or dinner)
Day 7 - DHS - Boat to MK or possibly another way (uber/lyft) to end up at DHS
Day 8 - Epcot? - Wherever i feel like i need to go again (probably Epcot)
Day 9 - Breakfast somewhere cool, then travel home. :(

After hours events are a definite possibility as well as extended hours, if available? (all new to me)
Also i'm a West Coaster, so if you have suggestions on flight suggestions, etc to make it easier/better. im afraid im going to get to AKL at 11pm at night.?? (wasted first night)
Anything you would suggest... Food, itinerary, views, certain parks on certain days (remember Epcot & AK are the really new to me parks), or even if different time of year is better than late Jan/Early Feb. I just know its less humidity & somewhat cheaper. (my travel period is Sept-March, & my Use Year is June)

Not sure what other info to add, but i can edit/add as we get closer. ;)
Don't even attempt Epcot in a single day. The sheer walkable size of it, especially the World Showcase, makes it a two day minimum. It's about twice the size of any other park(AK is larger but has the smallest walkable space, with most of the land dedicated to the animals and their upkeep). There is also a lot to explore in the World Showcase, and if you go during Food & Wine you will want to do the booths. Also, consider looking at tours and after hours/special events to see if anything interests you. AKL, before the pandemic, had a night time safari tour that was popular. I'm not sure if they still do that one, but some of the add on tours can be well worth it.

WDW will be a bit different than DLR, the most daunting of which will be the size. Travel between parks takes a while and everything is spread out. Even MK may seem like a super-sized DL, though with fewer rides. I do usually find AK to be a half-day, but it the most uinuque park. You have 7 days, so you have time.

Some rides are similar but different. I am usually writing this for people going to DL after being familiar with WDW, but I can swap it.
  • Pirates might be disappointing to you as the DLR version is longer and better.
  • I would recommend Haunted Mansion because it had some differences.
  • Space Mountain is generally considred to be worse at MK, though I don't think it's really worse - it is The Matterhorn though!
  • There are small differences in Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan's Flight, it's a small world, and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.
  • Rides that are exactly the same include all the Star Wars rides, Runaway Railway, Little Mermaid, and Soarin'. Alien Swwirling Saucers is basically the same as Mater's junkyard Jamboree.
  • AK still has It's Tough to be a Bug - it's the same as the CA one was, so if you liked that, check it out.
  • You may find the ride systems for DINOSAUR and Test Track to be famillar.
  • If you like things like Tiki Room, check out the Country Bear Jamboree and Carousel of Progress for that super-classic Disney feel.
  • Do not miss: Flight of Passage, Cosmic Rewind, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, probably TRON.
Those are jsut a few tips. I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun!

Don't even attempt Epcot in a single day. The sheer walkable size of it, especially the World Showcase, makes it a two day minimum. It's about twice the size of any other park(AK is larger but has the smallest walkable space, with most of the land dedicated to the animals and their upkeep). There is also a lot to explore in the World Showcase, and if you go during Food & Wine you will want to do the booths. Also, consider looking at tours and after hours/special events to see if anything interests you. AKL, before the pandemic, had a night time safari tour that was popular. I'm not sure if they still do that one, but some of the add on tours can be well worth it.
WDW will be a bit different than DLR, the most daunting of which will be the size. Travel between parks takes a while and everything is spread out. Even MK may seem like a super-sized DL, though with fewer rides. I do usually find AK to be a half-day, but it the most uinuque park. You have 7 days, so you have time.

Some rides are similar but different. I am usually writing this for people going to DL after being familiar with WDW, but I can swap it.
  • Pirates might be disappointing to you as the DLR version is longer and better.
  • I would recommend Haunted Mansion because it had some differences.
  • Space Mountain is generally considred to be worse at MK, though I don't think it's really worse - it is The Matterhorn though!
  • There are small differences in Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan's Flight, it's a small world, and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.
  • Rides that are exactly the same include all the Star Wars rides, Runaway Railway, Little Mermaid, and Soarin'. Alien Swwirling Saucers is basically the same as Mater's junkyard Jamboree.
  • AK still has It's Tough to be a Bug - it's the same as the CA one was, so if you liked that, check it out.
  • You may find the ride systems for DINOSAUR and Test Track to be famillar.
  • If you like things like Tiki Room, check out the Country Bear Jamboree and Carousel of Progress for that super-classic Disney feel.
  • Do not miss: Flight of Passage, Cosmic Rewind, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, probably TRON.
Those are jsut a few tips. I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun!
Noted, thank you both.!!

What are the Extended evening hours? it's different than an after-hours event right, it is similar to early morning.?
Is it often, or a certain time of year.?

What are the Extended evening hours? it's different than an after-hours event right, it is similar to early morning.?
Is it often, or a certain time of year.?

Extended Evening Hours is only for people staying at Deluxe REsorts or DVC. They aren't every night nor for every park, but they are basically like the old Extra Magic Hours were. They are distinct from an After Hours ticketed event.

ALL WDW Resort guests do get 30 minutes early entry in the mornings at all parks every day.

Extended Evening Hours is only for people staying at Deluxe REsorts or DVC. They aren't every night nor for every park, but they are basically like the old Extra Magic Hours were. They are distinct from an After Hours ticketed event.
So I'm just going to have to wait and see what parks may offer it when we get closer.? (I don't know what the old extra magic hours were), will we know enough in advance for me to attend.? Actually, I guess it's at the end of the day, so it won't matter which park I reserved, just if I feel like hopping over to whichever park is doing it.?

DCA and DHS aren‘t very similar really, with the exception of one or two attractions. DHS kind of borrows from both CA parks, in that Galaxy’s Edge is in DL, as is MMRR, but WDW still has the original ToT and Soarin’ is over at Epcot. I think the theming of the two parks is very different as well. I would at least give it a visit, perhaps as part of a park hopping day.

I think there are enough differences between DL and MK that it will feel both similar and different all at the same time. Some attractions will be very similar, but some are exclusive to MK. Some DL rides won’t be there. I caution you to go in with an open mind and enjoy MK for what it is and not try to compare it to DL, if you can. It’s the same advice I would give to someone who has visited WDW exclusively and was headed to another park like DL Paris. The group of them are more like siblings. They have the family resemblance but each one has its own personality.

So I'm just going to have to wait and see what parks may offer it when we get closer.? (I don't know what the old extra magic hours were), will we know enough in advance for me to attend.? Actually, I guess it's at the end of the day, so it won't matter which park I reserved, just if I feel like hopping over to whichever park is doing it.?

Extra Magic Hours were either an hour early or two hours after close for WDW Resort guests - think Magic Mornings at DLR. Anyway, that is gone now, so you have your 30 minutes early entry and the extra hours for Deluxe guests. Sounds liek you will be, so, yeah, you just have to wait until they announce the times for it.

DCA and DHS aren‘t very similar really, with the exception of one or two attractions. DHS kind of borrows from both CA parks, in that Galaxy’s Edge is in DL, as is MMRR, but WDW still has the original ToT and Soarin’ is over at Epcot. I think the theming of the two parks is very different as well. I would at least give it a visit, perhaps as part of a park hopping day.

I think there are enough differences between DL and MK that it will feel both similar and different all at the same time. Some attractions will be very similar, but some are exclusive to MK. Some DL rides won’t be there. I caution you to go in with an open mind and enjoy MK for what it is and not try to compare it to DL, if you can. It’s the same advice I would give to someone who has visited WDW exclusively and was headed to another park like DL Paris. The group of them are more like siblings. They have the family resemblance but each one has its own personality.
Yea, I'm not going in with any sort of expectations that one is better than the other, I know there are a few things that are sort of known to be better at DL (Pirates), but I'm not worried about that stuff, I'm easy, & am ready for it to be a whole other world... but somewhat familiar. :)

I know it's going to be an amazing trip, just trying to take notes on what are some priorities to keep in mind.

Extra Magic Hours were either an hour early or two hours after close for WDW Resort guests - think Magic Mornings at DLR. Anyway, that is gone now, so you have your 30 minutes early entry and the extra hours for Deluxe guests. Sounds liek you will be, so, yeah, you just have to wait until they announce the times for it.
Yep, the waiting game... hopefully, I will be able to take advantage of some extra evening hours.

The extra evening hours for deluxe resorts are only at MK on Wed. and Epcot on Mon. Hopping doesn't start until 2:00pm...I keep hoping they'll change that! I like to spend more time in Epcot, especially when there's a festival (which is most of the time nowadays!). At the other parks I just do my favorite rides and leave. Of course since this is your first time you'll want to spend more time taking everything in. My biggest suggestion is don't stay glued to a schedule. If you're enjoying what you're doing, don't feel like you have to leave just because your schedule says you're "supposed" to be somewhere else now...and vice versa. Go with the flow and enjoy!

The extra evening hours for deluxe resorts are only at MK on Wed. and Epcot on Mon. Hopping doesn't start until 2:00pm...I keep hoping they'll change that! I like to spend more time in Epcot, especially when there's a festival (which is most of the time nowadays!). At the other parks I just do my favorite rides and leave. Of course since this is your first time you'll want to spend more time taking everything in. My biggest suggestion is don't stay glued to a schedule. If you're enjoying what you're doing, don't feel like you have to leave just because your schedule says you're "supposed" to be somewhere else now...and vice versa. Go with the flow and enjoy!
Nope, i love just being free to drift wherever the day takes me, I’m just looking for things i don’t want to miss… and any short cuts to not waste any time that i dont want/need to.

Sounds like i should plan on MK on Wed & Epcot on Mon (or at least hopping over if i want to stay out later)

Epcot has been a great park to hop to since it opens later and World Showcase “opens” a little later than the park actually opens. We’ve done Epcot in the evening after starting at AK and HS (before Fantasmic came back). We took a boat from HS and I’m pretty sure there was a direct bus from AK to Epcot.

Trying to get in the Cosmic Rewind virtual queue means you need a reservation there. You can always buy the Individual Lighting Lane though. Also with Harmonious gone HS and MK have the more popular nighttime shows.

Epcot has been a great park to hop to since it opens later and World Showcase “opens” a little later than the park actually opens. We’ve done Epcot in the evening after starting at AK and HS (before Fantasmic came back). We took a boat from HS and I’m pretty sure there was a direct bus from AK to Epcot.

Trying to get in the Cosmic Rewind virtual queue means you need a reservation there. You can always buy the Individual Lighting Lane though. Also with Harmonious gone HS and MK have the more popular nighttime shows.
Bus from AK (park?) or i’m sure there is one from AKV.
Virtual queues are going to be something i need to plan once i get my park reservations settled… after i get my room reservations settled. lol (7 month window)
I wasn’t planning on Genie+ or any lightning lanes, but you never know, id hate to miss something i really want to do.

Bus from AK (park?) or i’m sure there is one from AKV.
Virtual queues are going to be something i need to plan once i get my park reservations settled… after i get my room reservations settled. lol (7 month window)
I wasn’t planning on Genie+ or any lightning lanes, but you never know, id hate to miss something i really want to do.

There are direct park to park busses - they start running just a little before Park Hopping hourse being (I've caught one as early as 1:30ish). You won't need to go back to AKV to get a ride to another park.

There are direct park to park busses - they start running just a little before Park Hopping hourse being (I've caught one as early as 1:30ish). You won't need to go back to AKV to get a ride to another park.
Perfect.!!
That will be my 2nd day at AK, hopping in the afternoon to wherever i end up that night and swapping to BRV (from AKV).

I've never been to DL, but a 7 day hopper sounds like a whole lot to me, especially when you've seen so much Disney already. I'd consider doing something more unique, like Harry Potter at Universal.

Both AK and BR have non-ideal transportation. I'd at least waitlist BW or BLT or Poly over BR. With a hopper, it's hard to beat going to Epcot for dinner to get something decent from a festival booth, watching the fireworks and walking home to BW. If you did this, you probably wouldn't ever need to go to Epcot in the morning, just cover it in 3-4 afternoon/evenings.

The hot new ride at that point will be Moana at Epcot. You should be able to pay ILL to do that, or get the late queue for late Epcot hours. With the hopper, and if you're willing to pay, this shouldn't be impossible.

Perfect.!!
That will be my 2nd day at AK, hopping in the afternoon to wherever i end up that night and swapping to BRV (from AKV).

I always hop from AK because it isn't open late and honestly is still kind of a "half-day" park for me. I did like it at night, but that didn't last. I am usually right out of there at 1-ish, and have always had a bus come in time to get me to the gates of my destination like right at 2 PM. Keep in mind the Park-to-Park buses are at the furthest stops out at AK's giant bus loop!

I always hop from AK because it isn't open late and honestly is still kind of a "half-day" park for me. I did like it at night, but that didn't last. I am usually right out of there at 1-ish, and have always had a bus come in time to get me to the gates of my destination like right at 2 PM. Keep in mind the Park-to-Park buses are at the furthest stops out at AK's giant bus loop!
I hop from AK as well, but this is a place I consider a Lyft. The park to park buses can take forever, and Lyft is quick.

I've never been to DL, but a 7 day hopper sounds like a whole lot to me, especially when you've seen so much Disney already. I'd consider doing something more unique, like Harry Potter at Universal.

Both AK and BR have non-ideal transportation. I'd at least waitlist BW or BLT or Poly over BR. With a hopper, it's hard to beat going to Epcot for dinner to get something decent from a festival booth, watching the fireworks and walking home to BW. If you did this, you probably wouldn't ever need to go to Epcot in the morning, just cover it in 3-4 afternoon/evenings.

The hot new ride at that point will be Moana at Epcot. You should be able to pay ILL to do that, or get the late queue for late Epcot hours. With the hopper, and if you're willing to pay, this shouldn't be impossible.
Yea, i assume Universal will get added in at some point in the future IF i keep my DVC and start to come back every other year or so, but this first trip is all about DVC.
Also waitlist options may happen once we get into the 7 month window, but well see, id like to see multiple resorts, but not wanting to move too many times.

My first AK park day will be a late start, so my 2nd day will be early and hopping later whenever i feel like I've seen it all or am just ready to go (probably to Epcot), so ill get to experience the AK in 2 halves… it’ll all start to fall into place once i can actually book other resorts (at 7 months)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter