How come DCL isn't selling out?

After seeing the new itineraries, I don't know if we're gonna stick with dcl next year.. What other lines do yall recommend for 3 adults? I've been on royal Caribbean before, but not sure I'm thrilled with their itinaries
Where are you looking to sail? Perfect day Coco cay is one of the best islands I’ve ever been to the three times I went. They literally literally had to kick us off and make us go back on the ship. It was amazing. Things for kids, family and adults to do!

This is helpful info but doesn’t distinguish what percent of guests paid full price or OBB and what percent joined in last minute with VGT/OGT/IGT rates.
When those restricted rates were first introduced, it was very last minute, usually well after FPDD. Now they are sometimes released well before FP is due.
Soon we will have the DCL earnings report for Fiscal Year 2023 (Oct '22 - Sept'23). Pre-covid margins were 26.7% in 2018 and 25% in 2019. I am intrigued on how well FY23 looks vs 2019 as DCL was still in recovery. Port Canaveral occupancy rates didn't get back to 90% until September 2023. So, we may have to wait another year to get an idea on DCL's true post-covid recovery in terms of revenue, profit and margin. If margins are down I would be shocked.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03157553/filing-history
Disney has to file a separate report for DCL in the United Kingdom.

Just be careful... Insurance only pays for what you paid cash for, NOT gift cards! If you have to cancel your cruise using insurance money, you may end of eating a lot!
Did not know this… Wow… is that true if you buy the DCL insurance too? Seems like they should give you a warning if you use your Disney Gift Cards….

We recently booked a 5-nt cruise on the Dream for Easter week 2025. :crazy2:
Our kids are grown and we usually avoid holiday cruises but we'll be in FL for a concert the weekend after Easter and figured we might as well cruise while we're there anyway. It seems to be only 3, 4 & 7 night options after the concert so we reluctantly chose the 5 nt holiday cruise beforehand.
I was shocked that DCL allowed me to book my placeholder. There are usually blackout dates for when you can use a placeholder and it's typically around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.
Maybe they finally realized it's better to let returning cruisers use their discount vs. having them turn to a cheaper cruise line over spring break/Easter and potentially having an empty cabin or needing to offer it as VGT.

20240620_120203.jpg
I received this from DCL today. I guess season 2 isn't going as well as season 1. Price will definitely be a factor, as will the issue that many of the itineraries end at different cities to where they started, necessitating a flight home or a flight to the departure point. Most other Aussie cruises return to the departure port.

View attachment 869616
I received this from DCL today. I guess season 2 isn't going as well as season 1. Price will definitely be a factor, as will the issue that many of the itineraries end at different cities to where they started, necessitating a flight home or a flight to the departure point. Most other Aussie cruises return to the departure port.
Don’t understand the appeal of half the deposit. Reducing the fare would peak my interest but not the deposit.

Don’t understand the appeal of half the deposit. Reducing the fare would peak my interest but not the deposit.
I agree. DCL don't get the Aussie market. Aussies tend to book holidays well in advance and if leaving it closer to the time, do so for discounts.

Mind you DCL didn't get the tipping element right in season 1 in Australia either...

Did not know this… Wow… is that true if you buy the DCL insurance too? Seems like they should give you a warning if you use your Disney Gift Cards….
Yes. This info is new news that I have never heard on the boards until recently. I wish we had more info, experiences of others and agencies. It's something that will be in the back of my mind now if we might need insurance for some trips.

A lot of cruise lines do this to get people to book cruises farther in advance. It's helpful if you have a lot of stuff planned and you don't want to put a lot of money down on something that's months or years away.

I have a vacation coming in August. so maybe "I" hypothetical don't want to put a big deposit down on something that's not until next year when I'm still concentrating on this years vacation. It's not meant to be a discount, but a way to get you to book in advance. If you want a discount then wait until two three months out and roll the dice.

I can tell you these reduced deposits are very popular on other cruise lines. People book multiple cruise's months and years out, but other cruise lines offer price protections which DCL doesn't. So how well it helps on Disney. I have no idea.

I posted this in the itinerary thread already, but as much as this thread made me look at other cruise lines, we decided we're gonna move forward and book the 7 night very merrytime cruise on the Treasure for Dec 2025. Hoping don't regret it, but i'm excited to check out the ship.

I posted this in the itinerary thread already, but as much as this thread made me look at other cruise lines, we decided we're gonna move forward and book the 7 night very merrytime cruise on the Treasure for Dec 2025. Hoping don't regret it, but i'm excited to check out the ship.
We liked the Wish, so I expect we'll like the Treasure. Those Aladdin rooms and the Haunted Mansion lounge! I expect this is what we'll move to if we end up delaying Alaska (still booked). Maybe in 2026. Have fun!

In my experience, this negativity is normal behavior on a fan board. People who love, absolutely love, a brand, are usually also the harshest critics and no, they don't have to experience the product or service.

Fair? Maybe not, but a brand usually has to mess up their product for a long time before true fans turn against them. They tolerate a lot more than a casual consumer. But when things turn sour, they really turn sour.

Usually negativity on boards like this come from a place of love. They want the company to succeed, cause they love the brand, they hate it when the compay fails (in their opinion). They need a place to vent. And that is best done with people who think similar thoughts.

You see it here, but also on boards about movies, theatre, tv shows, books. It is not my thing, but I assume fashion or electronic brands see the same thing on their fan boards.

Last edited:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter