Housekeeping on DVC is the deal breaker

You can call using the button on your phone and it is for your hotel. They are often slow to deliver though especially after the majority of the housekeeping CMs have left for the day after 4:30 PM (8:00-4:30 seems to be their hours). So I can see looking for a housekeeper in the hallway.

For some one can change them using others that are not important, for other situations, that may not be the case. For me personally I make a judgement whether I'm calling maintenance for some other reason, do I actually need them to replace the bulb or do I just need the extra bulb. Often I'm taking a combination approach of change the bulb out using one less important and calling them when it's convenient to bring more.

Usually, when its convienent the need has left my brain space. Its always when it isn't convenient that I notice these things - like you want to be in bed and are now waiting twenty minutes for a new coffeemaker for the morning because the one you have is missing the carafe, but now is better than the morning, when the coffee will be important.

We had our first WDW DVC stay on our points recently and didn't find any major issues with housekeeping (we've had a couple of weekend VGC stays before this and those were great). We were at the Poly in a studio and then VGF in a 1BR. Overall we did find the housekeeping at VGF to be a bit more consistent, but if there ever was an issue a quick call was all it took to fix it. At the Poly, the trash and recycling under the kitchenette sink hadn't been emptied from the previous guests so we called and they came to empty them right away. When we needed more tissues, they brought those quickly as well. They weren't always consistent about emptying every trash bin each day or changing out every towel on T&T day, but I wouldn't let something like that affect my vacation. At VGF they were more consistent about emptying the trash each day, although we ended up getting skipped for new towels since I think we happened to be in the room with the "Room Occupied" sign up every time they tried to come by and they didn't knock to disturb us. Since we were leaving the next day anyway it didn't really matter to us, or else we would have called. We're not the kind of people that need daily housekeeping and knew how DVC housekeeping worked going into it, so nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected from our standpoint. If there is anything wrong we're fine with calling to get it rectified. We were very happy with our stays.

IMO we shouldn't have to deal with any room issues while on vacation. Disney doesn't seem to care or they would fix the issues. If you are dealing with this, so is everyone else, multiply by the number of rooms at all of the resorts. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill

DVC is definitely not for those who require daily cleaning of their room. For us renting points works perfectly. We were notified ahead of time when we rented that this was the policy though, and back then, you had to take our own trash out.

DVC is definitely not for those who require daily cleaning of their room. For us renting points works perfectly. We were notified ahead of time when we rented that this was the policy though, and back then, you had to take our own trash out.
In general I’d agree but there are in between options. One could hope they do the daily service which I doubt will last all that long. One could pay for a cleaning or 2 and still come out ahead in many cases for a studio or 2 BR, less likely for a 1 BR. The bigger issue for many is daily clean towels and there are ways to work around that which are reasonable.

Or you can bring extra towels or wash yours. We love DVC and it didn't bother us. I think I read the daily cleaning is pretty pricey, but I don't remember exact cost.

bigger issue for many is daily clean towels and there are ways to work around that which are reasonable.
Well, at home just as in my DVC villa, I'm the washer of the towels, so hang it up so it dries and is reusable.

But Dean, I wanted to ask you, have you ever ordered extra towels and/or sheets and been charged? I have, a couple of times, needed extra towels (teenagers seem to require 2 towels per shower) but I've never been charged, ever. Why is that? I even asked at the reception desk," I realize there will be a charge but I will need 8 extra towels." Fully prepared to pay for them, they were delivered, never billed. When I checked out, went to reception to advise them of a couple of light bulbs, and I said, "By the way, you didn't charge me for the extra towels, response, "Not to worry, we hope you enjoyed your stay!"

So I even wonder if they would charge for an extra cleaning if requested?

Well, at home just as in my DVC villa, I'm the washer of the towels, so hang it up so it dries and is reusable.

But Dean, I wanted to ask you, have you ever ordered extra towels and/or sheets and been charged? I have, a couple of times, needed extra towels (teenagers seem to require 2 towels per shower) but I've never been charged, ever. Why is that? I even asked at the reception desk," I realize there will be a charge but I will need 8 extra towels." Fully prepared to pay for them, they were delivered, never billed. When I checked out, went to reception to advise them of a couple of light bulbs, and I said, "By the way, you didn't charge me for the extra towels, response, "Not to worry, we hope you enjoyed your stay!"

We've ordered a towel pack at least three times and were charged for them every time. I called Housekeeping and requested them and they brought them over. The last time (at OKW), they told me that we couldn't get free extra towels. I told them I knew that and just needed an extra towel pack for $6 and was willing to pay for the extra towels.

I've ordered a towel pack once and I honestly don't recall if we were charged or not. One of our party must have a clean towel every day. For us we'll use them a few days if they're just used to dry off after a bath or shower. One of the things that bothers me about DVC is their inconsistency. I know a certain amount is inevitable with any system but they are consistently inconsistent. They're all over the board including things where they could and should have a plan and educate/instruct the staff like when they had to move a number of reservations due to refurbishments that were not planned for before reservations were made. For example, when the AKV concierge was being refurbished and the only place open for most was SSR, some got all points back and free dining and some just got the points differential back with no free dining. Basically when you can plan and present a united and set option, they need to do so and stick to the plan no matter how much someone complains.

. they are consistently inconsistent. T they need to do so and stick to the plan no matter how much someone complains.

If you don't get the answer you're looking for, ask another CM! My thing is, everyone should be treated fairly but using the same set of rules! And if they are supposed to charge for towels, extra cleaning etc., then do it and do it across the board.

Or you can bring extra towels or wash yours. We love DVC and it didn't bother us. I think I read the daily cleaning is pretty pricey, but I don't remember exact cost.
I may get some flack for this one, but when we have needed extra towels, we just brought some from the pool when we went, although I have had the housekeepers ask us if we needed any extra towels/toiletries when we were leaving the room and they were in the hall as well. Another tip is you can usually go to the front desk and ask for more at no cost as well.

I may get some flack for this one, but when we have needed extra towels, we just brought some from the pool when we went, although I have had the housekeepers ask us if we needed any extra towels/toiletries when we were leaving the room and they were in the hall as well. Another tip is you can usually go to the front desk and ask for more at no cost as well.

It's been reported that pool towels and room towels are from different sources and laundered at different places. Leaving pool towels in your room causes housekeeping to have to handle them separately.

It's been reported that pool towels and room towels are from different sources and laundered at different places. Leaving pool towels in your room causes housekeeping to have to handle them separately.

Well, I still take pool towels to my room, as I don't want to walk back to the room without a towel, which means they are going to have to do that anyway. Additionally, when we have gone to first aid, they have given us small towels to wet when it is too hot and just said to leave it in the room and I am quite sure those must come from a different source. So, I don't really see the issue here.

We were recently at the Poly and asked a CM at the pool if we were allowed to bring pool towels back to the room, and they said yes of course. It seemed like this was something that occurs regularly so perhaps it's not a major issue for them.

We were recently at the Poly and asked a CM at the pool if we were allowed to bring pool towels back to the room, and they said yes of course. It seemed like this was something that occurs regularly so perhaps it's not a major issue for them.
I have only ever had one hotel (not a Disney hotel) say you had to leave the pool towels at the pool and we never went back there as a result. Seriously, I wouldn't ever think there is anything wrong with bringing pool towels back to the room.

If you don't get the answer you're looking for, ask another CM! My thing is, everyone should be treated fairly but using the same set of rules! And if they are supposed to charge for towels, extra cleaning etc., then do it and do it across the board.
A certain amount of inconsistency is unavoidable but they really should have a playbook and plan for most situations. The issue is DVC really doesn't have the stomach to say no so those that push get more, often a lot more.

There are signs saying not to take the pool towels. They actually cost more to launder than the regular towels.

Well, I still take pool towels to my room, as I don't want to walk back to the room without a towel, which means they are going to have to do that anyway. Additionally, when we have gone to first aid, they have given us small towels to wet when it is too hot and just said to leave it in the room and I am quite sure those must come from a different source. So, I don't really see the issue here.
IMO taking a towel you're using back to the room because you need the towel is a far different issue than scooping up towels to have extra, the later is blatantly inappropriate.

I prefer no housekeeping enter the room except when I'm somehow overloaded with trash (even then, I'll just bag it up and take it out myself).

Even when I'm staying in non-DVC digs, I usually leave the DND sign on the door permanently.

If ever I need extra towels or something, I know exactly who to call/where to find housekeeping.

This wasn't an issue at Aulani, either. I figure you don't want me dripping in the hallways (even after I've toweled off pretty well poolside), even if they're carpet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter