Housekeeping on DVC is the deal breaker

I see that I am not alone, I often wash/dry/fold our towels. I actually perfer not having daily housekeeping. Because we often drive, I bring exta laundry detergent and dryer sheets, although, I have purchased an extra box of detergent after I have used the started pack. I also take clorox wipes and wipe down remotes, the telepnones...

Some folks need daily cleaning, responsible folks tidy as they go and don't require it.

Some folks find that having their bed made for them is a luxury they enjoy - even if they make their bed every day at home. Some people don't need it because they tidy, others don't need it because they don't mind living in a pigsty. (I have two teenage children - there is daily evidence around here that you don't need a clean or tidy room - and as long as you can wade through the clothes on your floor to get to your bed, it works - and why make a bed, you'll mess it up again later).

I love getting my hair washed by the stylist when I get a cut. That doesn't mean I don't wash it at home, or let it be a greasy mess. It means having someone else do that sort of little thing for you is a treat.

Thanks for posting this. It's exactly what I needed to read when I was feeling pissy about little things going wrong in my life as well. It was a good reminder that there is so much good going on and that by focusing on the bad I was looking like a little baby. I hope you survived your trip in one piece and that you are happy spending your money elsewhere.

just because this doesn't seem like a big deal to you doesn't mean it isn't a big deal to others....and at high prices, as well.

If I stub my toe, its the worst stubbed toe ever. Your stubbed toe hardly seems like its worth mentioning......

just because this doesn't seem like a big deal to you doesn't mean it isn't a big deal to others....and at high prices, as well.

If I stub my toe, its the worst stubbed toe ever. Your stubbed toe hardly seems like its worth mentioning......

Not sure what your stubbed toe comment means. Of course people are allowed to be unhappy about things. When I wrote that response, it was written with sincerity. We are all of course allowed to not be happy with things, but also need to assess how our responses will be interpreted. It makes a big difference in how receptive people will be in what we are trying to communicate. Just that night Chick-fil-a shorted my order. I overreacted and contacted corporate, when I should have just called the restaurant directly. After reading that post, I realized how that would look to an outsider and sort of laughed at how I was feeling at the time. It really was therapeutic to read that others can overreact to situations the same way I can.

Some folks need daily cleaning, responsible folks tidy as they go and don't require it.
I don't think it's that simple. To some it's important just like some things will be important to you or me that are not to others. Personally I don't want it and I don't need it. The truth is that for those that require it daily, DVC is usually not a good choice for them but each one has to go through the numbers to decide. Housekeeping is one of the reasons I say one should be OK with the compromises of a timeshare to make buying a good choice. Others include the planning aspects, lower flexibility and possible lower upkeep quality, I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

My SIL MUST have a clean towel daily, the rest of us are OK with using them 3-4 days as long as their only used to dry off after a bath/shower. Easy enough for a 1 BR or larger, easily workable with one towel pack for a studio with planning and the midweek service.

DVC housekeeping is fairly standard for a condo type accommodation which is what DVC is not a Hotel accommodation.

As for clean towels we throw them in the washer as we go out and in the drier as we return and hey presto clean towels.

We did stay in a studio at the Poly and I paid extra for every day housekeeping as I'm not used to the small size of a studio and I wanted clean towels and we were glad we did for the studio. I wouldn't have bothering if we had been in a 1 bedroom

I agree totally. If they don't like it they should book it as a hotel room direct through Disney.

I haven't read all the responses on this - and if I know the internet you quite possibly have already been chased from this thread with a few not-nice responses.

But I wanted to say- it's a valid point that you have. Housekeeping is NOT the same with DVC. That said - I am not sure how much time you have spent staying at timeshares. We have and DVC is infinitely better than most timeshares. Most timeshares you get ZERO housekeeping. No trash service. No fresh towels. No cleaning, no nothing. So in my view - DVC is a step up from this. Owning DVC I am literally saving thousands of dollars versus the hotel side. I did the calculation on hotel rooms versus DVC across the 20 nights we are staying at DVC between November 2017 and October 2018 - and the savings is versus a 25% discounted cash room is $6,340. For me - saving that much money and having to make my own bed and fold my towel is plenty. If for you it's a dealbreaker, then it's pretty clear DVC is not for you.

An alternative choice of course is to pay for housekeeping every day. It's pretty expensive, but again it wouldn't have dented that $6,300 even so. ($30 a day over 20 days = $600)

Edit: On another thread - I remember someone complaining about the lack of clean towels, and I posed the question "But you don't wash your towels at home everyday?" and the person responded with "Yes we do" which sort of blew me away and I agreed that this was another case where maybe DVC is not for you. (I also thought.)

After 20+ years with DVC, the cleaning schedule is fine with me. However, they sometimes just can't get the schedule right. We usually have to make at least one call to housekeeping each stay and it's just par for the course. Running hotels is not a strong suit for Disney. Loews does a much better job with the Universal resorts and it's always such a huge difference to check in to one of those hotels after our DVC stay.

I haven't read all the responses on this - and if I know the internet you quite possibly have already been chased from this thread with a few not-nice responses.

But I wanted to say- it's a valid point that you have. Housekeeping is NOT the same with DVC. That said - I am not sure how much time you have spent staying at timeshares. We have and DVC is infinitely better than most timeshares. Most timeshares you get ZERO housekeeping. No trash service. No fresh towels. No cleaning, no nothing. So in my view - DVC is a step up from this. Owning DVC I am literally saving thousands of dollars versus the hotel side. I did the calculation on hotel rooms versus DVC across the 20 nights we are staying at DVC between November 2017 and October 2018 - and the savings is versus a 25% discounted cash room is $6,340. For me - saving that much money and having to make my own bed and fold my towel is plenty. If for you it's a dealbreaker, then it's pretty clear DVC is not for you.

An alternative choice of course is to pay for housekeeping every day. It's pretty expensive, but again it wouldn't have dented that $6,300 even so. ($30 a day over 20 days = $600)

Edit: On another thread - I remember someone complaining about the lack of clean towels, and I posed the question "But you don't wash your towels at home everyday?" and the person responded with "Yes we do" which sort of blew me away and I agreed that this was another case where maybe DVC is not for you. (I also thought.)
DVC has more (not better) housekeeping than most but IMO they do the worst job of it of any timeshare or timeshare system we frequent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter