Housekeeping on DVC is the deal breaker

Was just wondering....Is there a way of turning this down, or do they automatically just come for the garbage no matter what...Because as you were saying this, & me reading it, I' was thinking the same thing....There goes a lil bit of privacy...:confused3
Nope, they will come even if you ask them not to come. And the more you don't want them to come into your room, the harder they will try to come into your room with the final try being Security.

We have other timeshares and the trash and towel are usually on day 4 with a full cleaning on day 8.

I usually have an issue that there are never enough towels and toiletries for 4 people. Half the time they only leave 2 large towels, one small bottle of shampoo and one packet of dishwasher soap. That just doesn't' cut it for 4 adults and I cook int the villa at least twice a day. I get sick of calling down right after we check into our villa and asking for more towels/toiletries. I always hope there is a maid in the hallways and I can just ask him/her for more.

Disney has a policy of daily room checks, DVC or normal rooms. For DVC they made it seem like a new benefit where you are getting daily trash removal. If you leave up your room occupied sign (DND signs are gone) for too long, security will visit.

Most people commented about the lack of housekeeping and how this is normal with timeshares and it's possible to pay for more. But that's not the point. The OP didn't complain about not having housekeeping.

Well, they said “but the housekeeping? Do you all normally put up with that? It's ridiculous and bad”...

That seems like an overall condemnation.

And if it’s not, they are thinking that what happened with them is the way it is. And it’s not, as far as I can tell. So to take their bad experience and extrapolate is still an overall condemnation of something, not a complaint about their specific experience.

OP probably should have just called the front desk when housekeeping wasn't responding with accurate info. I

No calling! Go physically TO the front desk. Calling the FD gets you an off-site call center.

We aren't huge "room fixers" - if a lightbulb is out where we need it, we move one from where we don't rather than having engineering stop up to replace a lightbulb. I don't call for things like broken knobs on drawers - I don't want the bother for something I can live with.

crisi, ya gotta call about those things. Even if you can live with them, the next person probably doesn’t want to, and once you’ve noticed something it’s time to call about them. You don’t call about broken drawers knobs??

Was just wondering....Is there a way of turning this down, or do they automatically just come for the garbage no matter what...Because as you were saying this, & me reading it, I' was thinking the same thing....There goes a lil bit of privacy...:confused3

Nope. This new policy is so irksome.

Disney has a policy of daily room checks, DVC or normal rooms. For DVC they made it seem like a new benefit where you are getting daily trash removal. If you leave up your room occupied sign (DND signs are gone) for too long, security will visit.

Has a *new* policy. It’s not like this has been going on from day 1.

crisi, ya gotta call about those things. Even if you can live with them, the next person probably doesn’t want to, and once you’ve noticed something it’s time to call about them. You don’t call about broken drawers knobs??

Then the next person can call. Nope, don't care and don't care to have engineering in my room unless I care.

Agreed. It probably takes about the same amount of time to call as to move the light bulb. And frankly Disney housekeeping, who is the one that sees the rooms frequently, just doesn't seem to report. I'm going to take the time because that's BS that they don't and then things remain broken forever.

We have other timeshares and the trash and towel are usually on day 4 with a full cleaning on day 8.

I usually have an issue that there are never enough towels and toiletries for 4 people. Half the time they only leave 2 large towels, one small bottle of shampoo and one packet of dishwasher soap. That just doesn't' cut it for 4 adults and I cook int the villa at least twice a day. I get sick of calling down right after we check into our villa and asking for more towels/toiletries. I always hope there is a maid in the hallways and I can just ask him/her for more.
My other timeshare is a Sat to Sat seven night stay. No housekeeping at all. But we get towel exchange on Tues and Thur, but we have to bring them down to the laundry between 9 and 11am to exchange them. When you leave, you have to strip the beds, gather all the towels, take out the garbage and recyclables, do it all but wipe it down and vacuum and remake the beds.

Most people commented about the lack of housekeeping and how this is normal with timeshares and it's possible to pay for more. But that's not the point. The OP didn't complain about not having housekeeping. She said she did her research and she was expecting that. She has been annoyed by the fact that the scheduled cleaning didn't happen when it was supposed to.
I wouldn't let my vacation be ruined by this, but I agree it can be annoying. Imagine havign collected all dirty towels and put them in the tub to make life easier for housekeeping and come back after a log day in the park finding you now don't have any usable towel. If it's a studio you cannot even wash them easily. So personal reactions on this issue can vary, but I agree with OP it shouldn't happen.
I think the tone of the OP was that they were no OK without having housekeeping, not just that they didn't get what they thought they were supposed to get.

We're in timeshares maybe 4-6 weeks a year and usually more than 10 units per year total with Marriott, DVC, Bluegreen and Wyndham mostly. Few have any housekeeping at all. A few have a midweek option similar to DVC and some have a towel exchange but most by far don't have anything unless you pay for it.

It’s a timeshare. It goes along with ownership. ?

yep...I have ranted about this before. Most people who stay in times shares on rented points, or for a 1st time...don't understand it. Time shares are not hotel rooms. you are an "owner" and just like you own your own home, you are expected to clean up after yourself.

As for dry towels, unless you were staying in a Studio, all rooms have washer/dryer. As an Owner, I would much rather my fees stay down and take out the garbage/make my own bed. If you see housekeeping in the halls, they are typically more than accommodating if you ask them for an extra towel or 2 or a refill on shampoo, etc... I personally would not view this as a deal breaker, but everyone vacations differently and is entitle to their opinion!

As for dry towels, unless you were staying in a Studio, all rooms have washer/dryer. As an Owner, I would much rather my fees stay down and take out the garbage/make my own bed. If you see housekeeping in the halls, they are typically more than accommodating if you ask them for an extra towel or 2 or a refill on shampoo, etc... I personally would not view this as a deal breaker, but everyone vacations differently and is entitle to their opinion!
I'd hate to tell guests to just ask Housekeeping for a few extra towels or extra shampoos because one guest does it and not a big deal. But a lot more guests do it and it goes crazy (tell a friend, post on a thread) and everyone expects to get freebies instead of paying to play like we are supposed to do.

Then dues creep up because of the extra costs. Especially because the shampoos and such are now twice the size they used to be (already a higher cost to members for sure).

I have beem spoiled with dvc housekeeping and so used to the schedule. Did a last minute trip with my youngest so no dbc rooms available. Booked allstars just 2 of us and they asked at the front if I wanted to waive the housekeeping. They would then give me a giftcard for not using it. Now I knew about this before and jumped all over it. Nope dont need it. Thanks for paying me.

Agreed. It probably takes about the same amount of time to call as to move the light bulb. And frankly Disney housekeeping, who is the one that sees the rooms frequently, just doesn't seem to report. I'm going to take the time because that's BS that they don't and then things remain broken forever.

Still not my problem - and it takes longer. I move the lightbulb when I need it....I have to wait for engineering to show up with a new lightbulb. I've waited half an hour for maintenance before, it isn't how I want to spend my vacation unless its something that is worth half an hour to me.

Still not my problem - and it takes longer. I move the lightbulb when I need it....I have to wait for engineering to show up with a new lightbulb. I've waited half an hour for maintenance before, it isn't how I want to spend my vacation unless its something that is worth half an hour to me.

It's not about the light bulb actually. It's that it takes less than a minute to report the issue and they can replace the bulb you've moved. You do not need to be there. If the person there when it went out took the minute to call then you would not have had to do anything at all except enjoy the room. For me it's about about caring about the condition of the room and engineering needs to know that things need more attention.

For some one can change them using others that are not important, for other situations, that may not be the case. For me personally I make a judgement whether I'm calling maintenance for some other reason, do I actually need them to replace the bulb or do I just need the extra bulb. Often I'm taking a combination approach of change the bulb out using one less important and calling them when it's convenient to bring more.

I have a question for all the experts here! We are booking direct through Disney (cash - not through points) a THV for nine nights. We have stayed booked direct at BCV in the past (cash through Disney) and had everyday housekeeping. I want to make sure we will get the same thing at TBV - everyday housekeeping - which, if I understand correctly we should, since we are booking direct with cash? Can anyone confirm this for me? Housekeeping on a vacation is important to me.

You will.

But I wanted to point out, in case you didn’t realize that you would save quite a bit of money renting points and paying extra for daily housekeeping vs paying cash directly to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter