Home for the Holidays-Wizards-Grinches and Sparkles. 14 nights @Royal Pacific Resort, Nov/Dec 2021

Well, I do hope you all had a very happy Christmas with lots of family time and the usual goodies and treats.......it`s nice to just chill out too for folks who are busy all year.

We had a lovely trip to Scotland and even managed to have a White Christmas which we wouldn`t have seen if we had stayed home, it just stayed grey here. But, rather strangely it was absolutely baltic on the West Coast this time.......normally we are the cold side of the country over on the East Coast, but as soon as we got out the car at mum`s.....holy moly!!!

I know some of you asked for some pictures, and to be honest, we didn`t take many as it was time all spent with family and friends, but we did take a couple around the hotel and so on.

We arrived Christmas Eve to this beautiful sunshine, but it was so cold we didn`t wander much outside, and they do have lovely grounds with some stunning views, but so much low cloud around.

xmas35-X2.jpg

We spent a few hours with mum when we arrived, one of my brothers and my sister popped in to say hello, before we set off for check in at the hotel and we had booked dinner here tonight, we do like it here and this is our usual stop off when we visit.

Usually we book the mini suites that are add ons to the main body of the hotel, it`s called the new part but they were built about 30 years ago. The hotel itself is a gorgeous building built in 1880 and still has many of the original features and the rooms in the main building all enjoy the highest of ceilings as befits a building of it`s time. We were in the main building this time, just 2 standard king bed rooms, but they were very pretty, we couldn`t book a sea view as they were already gone, but we weren`t there for the views this time.

Kyle ended up with a slightly larger room somehow, despite the lady telling us they were identical........he laughed when he saw ours!! But, they were right next door to each other. I was impressed with the rooms and will stick to booking the main building again when we go back. They were very cosy and thankfully, warm too.

And purple........:) This is what became known as the small room.....lol......

xmas48-X2.jpg

Apologies again for the picture quality, we didn`t take our real camera so they`re all from a phone.....and I never think any phone has the same quality of pictures as a real camera....they all look kind of grainy when I look at them. But, it was what we had.

The hotel is beautiful all round, and their decor is minimal but classy.

It is a favourite hotel for weddings and always has been, and there was one here this weekend......the bride looked gorgeous, but sadly didn`t get any of the stunning outdoor pictures because of the cold.

xmas36-X2.jpg

xmas37-X2.jpg

xmas38-X2.jpg

xmas39-X2.jpg

We enjoyed dinner and a very nice bottle of wine.....Kyle was going to be our driver for the next few days as he doesn`t drink alcohol ever, and Scotland has one of the lowest drink drive limits of any country, so you could technically have a few glasses of wine at night, and the next day be over the limit, so it`s not worth the risk. Usually when it`s just the two of us, Tom completely abstains or has a very small half glass early in the evening and nothing else, but we had our chauffeur this time!!

xmas7-XL.jpg

xmas5%20%282%29-XL.jpg

We also ate here on the Sunday night and we had exactly the same meals, both Kyle and I had the filets which were cooked exactly as they should be and the peppercorn sauce was a delight. Real chunky chips were also gorgeous, nothing frozen here, all fresh.

xmas43-X2.jpg

Tom opted for the seafood medley which included langoustines, sea bass, salmon, cod, mussels and one other fish I forgot with some baby potatoes, wilted spinach and a small side salad. Lush!!!

xmas2-X2.jpg

Sticky toffee pudding for Tom, chocolate ice cream for Kyle and I had coconut ice cream, but never took a picture.

xmas41-X2.jpg

xmas40-X2.jpg

On the Sunday night, the only difference to our choices were Tom ordered the white chocolate and raspberry profiteroles as dessert.

xmas%20%282%29-X2.jpg

We loved this little area of the restaurant which is quite large overall, this was a cosy little corner where the fireplace was, and the heat was lovely as it was so cold outside.

xmas1-X2.jpg

xmas30-X2.jpg

Christmas Day was wonderful. In the morning we visited my brother then we sat in mum`s for a while before heading over to my sisters who was hosting this year again. My sister and her husband, their daughter who is my favourite niece, my nephew and his wife and us three and mum.

My sister had moved into a new home recently and this was the first time we`d seen it, it is very nice and thankfully still room for all of us! We can actually see the back of the home we used to stay in many moons ago before we left the country which is a coincidence.

We did have a lovely day, full of chatter and good food with lots of laughs and we were so glad we had gone up this year.

I think we left at almost midnight, dropped off my niece then made sure mum got in to her home ok and finally we made it back to the hotel, but the weather as we got further from my sisters towards the hotel was dreadful, the snow was really starting to come down heavy and lay. When I say snow, it`s not like Canada gets, nowwhere near that amount, but for our area, it does have an effect.

The weather was horrible for those few days, but very apt and just as Christmas Day/Boxing Day should be.

Although seeing snow on Palm Trees is an odd one.......... ::yes::

xmas16-XL.jpg

xmas21%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Don`t let the smile fool you.......it was perishingly cold and there was a biting wind too!!! Tom waved to us from the restaurant at this point....no way was he going out in the cold till he had to!

xmas19%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Boxing Day was a mix of family.......it was busy, but we loved it and again, we were so glad we made it. Kyle had finished work on the Thursday and isn`t back till today, so we were able to do it because of that, if he worked Christmas Eve we wouldn`t have travelled Christmas Day, wouldn`t have been worth it, but staying 3 nights was lovely.

xmas13%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Just a little mini trip report within the trip report........we really did have the most amazing time in Scotland. Seeing Kyle see everyone again, especially his gran was wonderful, he hasn`t seen her in such a long time and they were like best buddies the whole trip which was lovely to see. :wave2:

Last edited:
Ach your latest update is exactly what Christmas should be! Family, friends, snow and great food! The hotel looks beautifully festive and your photos are gorgeous (even if they are just phone photos). I especially love the one of you outside with the snow and sea in the background. So glad you were able to see loved ones this year. Between that and travelling to Florida you are on a roll.

Ach your latest update is exactly what Christmas should be! Family, friends, snow and great food! The hotel looks beautifully festive and your photos are gorgeous (even if they are just phone photos). I especially love the one of you outside with the snow and sea in the background. So glad you were able to see loved ones this year. Between that and travelling to Florida you are on a roll.

Ah thank you......I did wish we had taken the camera, but they`re ok. The hotel is gorgeous and just being there during the festive season was lovely.

Oh we did feel as if all our christmas and birthdays had arrived all at the one time with getting both trips.....we kept thinking we`d be lucky to get one trip, but we were so grateful to have both.

Merry Christmas to you too and a Happy New Year!
I had to comment on your trip to family in Scotland, as my husbands family is from Scotland. I had a huge Scottish family history book given to me for his side of the family, but I gave it to hubby's sister to keep. I was surprised at all the entries. We have never been to Europe but would love to see England and Scotland. You are so lucky to be able to visit. PS: ( I blame my husbands stubborness on being Scottish, LOL) Dont know where mine comes from:)
Ruth

I have been wanting to ask you: Was there a lot of merchandise to choose from? It seems that there is not much of anything at Disney, according to their trip reports. Looking at your beautiful pictures, their merchandise seems to be abundant. I was just curious about Universal? Thanks so much, Carole.

ruth

Lovely Christmas trip! I love all the pictures.
We got about 20 inches of snow on Monday, ugh! Definitely winter here now!
It sounds like a nice visit with family and a little snow to make it more festive!
Happy Christmas and Blessed and Healthy New Year ⛷🥂

Thank you Caroline......yes, I think our white christmas in the UK are like chalk and cheese to your white christmas......lol......that is a lot of snow!! Yes, winter has arrived for you for sure.......hope you had a lovely christmas at home with your family and hope you didn`t have to work, you deserve a nice peaceful time.

We did have a lovely visit. Mum will be 87 in March God willing, so we were keen to make this year after having an enforced gap for a few years, and it was lovely.

Hope 2022 is one of the best for you and your family Caroline and lots of trip reports of you and Andi having a lot of fun....... 🥂

Merry Christmas to you too and a Happy New Year!
I had to comment on your trip to family in Scotland, as my husbands family is from Scotland. I had a huge Scottish family history book given to me for his side of the family, but I gave it to hubby's sister to keep. I was surprised at all the entries. We have never been to Europe but would love to see England and Scotland. You are so lucky to be able to visit. PS: ( I blame my husbands stubborness on being Scottish, LOL) Dont know where mine comes from:)
Ruth

lol.....Tom often wonders where my stubborness comes from.......I`ll blame being Scottish! Maybe you have some Scottish in there too........

So many have ancestry from Scotland and so many are related........we blame Robbie Burns for propogating his seed all over.....thank goodness there was no real transport system back then or he`d have gone further afield!!! It`s interesting though to find out where long gone relatives came from and what they did. I do believe if you go back far enough we are all connected.

You would love Scotland. In the summer the weather can be beautiful......yes, I did say "can" be. Four seasons in one day is not unusual, most days, but when it is stunning, there`s nowhere more beautiful.

England does have some lovely places to visit too, but Scotland is stunning.

I have been wanting to ask you: Was there a lot of merchandise to choose from? It seems that there is not much of anything at Disney, according to their trip reports. Looking at your beautiful pictures, their merchandise seems to be abundant. I was just curious about Universal? Thanks so much, Carole.

ruth

The stores were overflowing with merchandise, in every store as our suitcases will testify to :rolleyes1

We do enjoy buying products from Universal, especially from the Christmas store and now I think on it, The Grinch merch was very similar in every store........but there was plenty of stock.

And Ruth, hope you too have a very happy and blessed 2022........🥂

Love the pics! Kyle has grown into a nice looking young man and congrats to him for getting the larger room. :)

Love the Santa outfit...it suits you and the hotel is absolutely gorgeous!

Looking forward to more!

Love the pics! Kyle has grown into a nice looking young man and congrats to him for getting the larger room. :)

Love the Santa outfit...it suits you and the hotel is absolutely gorgeous!

Looking forward to more!

What santa outfit?? Oh you mean my red coat.......lol......not quite a santa outfit no, that`s my favourite white hat and scarf......will never look at them again in the same way :rotfl:

We were talking last night when the last time was we met you with Kyle, and looking back it would have been 2014, that was the last year he was with us for our regular trip when we only visited once. So, yes, it`s been a while since you saw him in real life.

More coming up soon, have to get New Years out of the way first, I was hoping to get some done today, so if no-one pops in for a drink I might get another chapter up......all the best to you again Todd for a wonderful 2022 🤶

What santa outfit?? Oh you mean my red coat.......lol......not quite a santa outfit no, that`s my favourite white hat and scarf......will never look at them again in the same way :rotfl:

We were talking last night when the last time was we met you with Kyle, and looking back it would have been 2014, that was the last year he was with us for our regular trip when we only visited once. So, yes, it`s been a while since you saw him in real life.
LOL...I thought it was your Christmas outfit...it still looks nice. :)

It's been many moons since Kyle and I saw each other...hopefully he can come over sometime in the next year. It would be fun for all of us to hang out again. :woohoo:

I'll keep watching for your next installment of the trip report.

LOL...I thought it was your Christmas outfit...it still looks nice. :)

It's been many moons since Kyle and I saw each other...hopefully he can come over sometime in the next year. It would be fun for all of us to hang out again. :woohoo:

I'll keep watching for your next installment of the trip report.

Kyle howled with laughter when I told him you thought it was a santa suit......lol......

Yes, I think I said on the San, hopefully he`ll be with us for our Christmas trip next year, we`ll hang out then........

Never got a chance to update today.....but will soon......... :wave2:

What a treat, haven’t been on here in ages, and to see you finally made it back across the pond makes me smile and a bit teary eyed.

Tom’s aversion to oysters is perplexing to me because he likes mussels. I like them both and while being different they do have a similar texture.
Looking forward to more….

Happy new year!!!!!

Catching up on everything now! I thought the HHN tribute store was gorgeous but Christmas 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Also loved hearing your holidays went beautifully-that resort looks stunning!

Thank you BH5......I did think the Christmas store lacked something though, not quite sure what, but the ice room wasn`t as pretty in real life as it looks in the pictures, but still lovely.

It was a lovely trip all round, and yes the hotel is always beautiful, but with the tree in the lobby.....really sets it off.

Hope you had a lovely holiday season too.

What a treat, haven’t been on here in ages, and to see you finally made it back across the pond makes me smile and a bit teary eyed.

Tom’s aversion to oysters is perplexing to me because he likes mussels. I like them both and while being different they do have a similar texture.
Looking forward to more….

:welcome: back Minnie17.......it`s so good to see you post again.....yes, it was marvellous beyond belief getting back to Orlando....getting anywhere was good!!!

It is odd....he loves mussels and will even eat them raw, straight from the sea when we go back to where we came from in Scotland and the fisherman have them in their catch......but oysters are a huge no for him. Suits me as I don`t have to share......lol......

Hope things are good for you and yours and you had a lovely Christmas and New Year.......:wave2:

It wasn`t as busy around the parks today, well, except for the rides, everyone seemed to be standing in line for something, but we planned today to mainly wander round and just enjoy being back in the parks, and having the Christmas decorations around was a complete bonus. Everything screams Christmas.....the music, the shows and the decor were all instrumental in creating this amazing place that was perfect for the time of year.

We did like how they added the food trucks around the park, they are a good addition to food options and we`d definitely try the Nashville Hot chicken skewer....the one with mac n cheese wasn`t as interesting to us, but we would try the skewer at some point.

i-K54fJHj-X2.jpg

i-MLWzHSC-X2.jpg

Although we never eat in Richter Burger, once was enough many years ago, we did like some of the theming when you go in, including the hole in the wall through to the candy store and this guy.......

i-VwS77jp-X2.jpg

It was just so beautiful this morning, warm and sunny and everything you expect Orlando to be, even late November.

On previous trips this time of year most of the weather had been hot and sunny, but each year we had one very cold day in the time we were there.....this trip, we wouldn`t see any cold weather or even a drop of rain which was fabulous to us.

i-dP2qxmd-X2.jpg

There are several photo opportunities in both parks that are completely essential in every trip we make.......and Bruce is one of those stops we have to make and get a picture with.

Sometimes it`s busier or if there are smokers down this end we don`t come down for a picture, but today it was completely deserted......until we began to take pictures, then all of a sudden, the world wanted their picture with Bruce......we were done anyway at that point.

It`s hard to imagine it was 10 years yesterday since they closed the Jaws ride for the last time before demolishing it in preparation of the first phase of Potter, time really has flown there. Jaws was always a ride we did at least once a day when we were in the Studios, and do miss it, but not too much. What they have done with Potter is completely out of this world and changed the face of Universal Orlando forever.

i-hfN9wBC-X2.jpg

We did plan to have a cocktail at Chez Alcatraz this visit too, it had been a while since we stopped here for a drink.

Although they do still show a food menu outside, it`s been a few years since they served food and people are still asking for food when they go there......shame as it was decent snack food. And the bar staff here have always been outstanding, very entertaining.

i-txqq7Xq-X2.jpg

i-jJXrLmv-X2.jpg

We wandered round to Diagon Alley, we had heard someone comment the wait for Gringotts was 100 minutes right now, even with EP that`s more time than we wanted to invest today on any ride.....we still had another 12 days, so we`d do it another day.

i-dHpnSq6-X2.jpg

i-sDc2dmD-X2.jpg

i-GXNPbKq-X2.jpg

Another traditional picture op now, the back of the Knight Bus............there really was no-one around us at this point, normally someone will offer to take pictures of us together, same as we are always happy to take pictures of others.

To be honest, on this trip we did wonder if anyone would want to hold someone else`s camera or phone due to issues with germs, didn`t give us pause to be honest, but others might think that way. However, we saw this wasn`t an issue with anyone over the whole trip.

Many people asked us to take their picture and we did have folks take ours too.

i-LKqCcHQ-X2.jpg

i-w7kDFmR-X2.jpg

i-HdtMb2K-X2.jpg

Going inside Diagon Alley is still as thrilling as the very first time all those years ago, and we`ve lost count of how many times we have gone through the bricks since it opened, and yes, we still smile from ear to ear every time.

JK Rowling created a stupendous world with these stories and Universal managed to convey almost every nuance of thought process she had when she was writing these books, the detail still blows us away and I say it every time, every trip we see something different or new we hadn`t seen before. It might be the tiniest of detail, but there is always something.

i-Bw5phSZ-X2.jpg

Some folks get annoyed when people stand and take pictures of the dragon from any angle......yep, apparently you can see a million pictures online and you really don`t need to do that...

Yeah ok.......let me think about that a second.......

i-87BjRHb-Th.gif

i-LDR8GQg-X2.jpg

If you don`t get in anyone`s way, which when it`s busy, it is hard to do, but you find everyone else is doing the same thing.....no one seems to have an issue here.

We love our pictures.....they are our personal diary of our visits over the years and we wouldn`t exchange those wonderful memories for anything, and we do look at them often....especially during our long winters as we look forward to our next trip. Seeing an impersonal image online is not the same for us.

i-p77CFBJ-X2.jpg

i-ZBxjRp2-X2.jpg

i-xWCJ4KL-X2.jpg

Again, the details are just so intricate, you can`t help be impressed.

i-Rnd3qQh-X2.jpg

And regular as clockwork, the dragon does exhale fire......to the delighted squeals from the crowds below, especially if they haven`t seen it before.

It`s hard to remember our first time seeing the dragon and then the fire, but today, it is lovely seeing the reactions of first timers.

i-bR8SB2z-X2.jpg

Gringotts was a wait of 95 minutes for the regular line, so the EP was indeed going to be longer than usual.....not a surprise for the day after Thanksgiving, so we headed into our favourite area of Diagon Alley......Knockturn Alley.

i-qmD7gZs-X2.jpg

i-fQDn9qZ-X2.jpg

This was the busiest we had ever seen Knockturn Alley......even Christmas visits past, but we managed to get some pictures and it was nice and cool as the heat was building outside, we spent only around 10 minutes in here, where usually it`s much longer. The store was just too busy to be fun today.

I love the Dark Side of things, maybe why KA appeals so much.....always have and a teacher when I was very young said I had dark tendencies as I loved Macbeth from a young age....yes, maybe a little unusual, but for me it was one of those tales that just enchant you when you read it. Maybe she saw something in me lol......my other favourite was A Christmas Carol.....so it balances out.

i-3m4QMHG-X2.jpg

i-tD4GmbK-X2.jpg

After being jostled once too often, we headed back out to the sunshine and we were in nice time for the Celestina Warbeck Christmas show........these ladies are very good and it`s a show to not miss anytime of the year.

i-GJH7VqT-X2.jpg

And it snows........

i-HcxPsJ8-X2.jpg

We did plan to have an ice cream from Florean Fortescue`s, but goodness me, the line was massive.....so we didn`t bother, we like their ice cream, but not enough to stand in that line, so we headed out and wandered back round past Richter Burger and planned to head round to see the Horror Make up Show which we hadn`t seen for a while.

The Universal parks are very pretty, I never understand when folks call them soulless.....I think they are full of character, so beautiful in certain areas and we never tire of just strolling around and taking the time to sit on a bench and watch the world go by. Something we do often.

i-KbxfSqc-X2.jpg

More coming up.....

Marilyn and her dancers were just starting their routine, and again another show that is just fun and passes 10 minutes or so watching them, quite entertaining and the compere guy is very funny.

i-9xwDdX3-X2.jpg

The Horror Make up Show never disappoints, it`s clever, informative and very funny in bits. It`s the same old routine they`ve had basically had for years, but it works.....and this is one show not to miss. It`s not gory or too much for younger kids, if they`re too sensitive, give it a miss.

I`m in two minds about Beetlejuice character roaming around. He is fun, but he seems a little lost somehow since the show disappeared for the awfully bad and universally loathed Fast & Furious (what were they thinking) ride.....so while he is fun, I would prefer to only see his character during HHN for example.

But, his humour is ripe and quite adult which is nice for a change in the parks......so, yes, he`d fit in nicely for HHN.

I believe he was telling me to ditch my husband at this point.......lol.......

i-4hncKPf-X2.jpg

i-VDFbcgq-X2.jpg

We don`t really do character pictures very often anymore, I think we have had them all over the years including many not around anymore, and as we are not really fans of the Simpsons, it`s not one we would stand in line to take.....Scooby Doo......absolutely........but we do get the back of their vehicle in one......

i-JkgPGL2-X2.jpg

i-LqMZG4P-X2.jpg

As we never got our ice cream from Florean Fortescue`s, we pop into Schwabs Pharmacy for something sweet. We hadn`t even been in this place till around 7 years ago, although to be fair it was closed a lot during our early visits, but it is a very cool place to stop into if you like the 1950`s ice cream parlour look.

i-Kf3mkJw-X2.jpg

I got the Dole Whip Pineapple Sorbet, Tom got the caramel ice cream......I think Tom got the better deal.

Although I`m not overly fond of sweet things (although there are exceptions) I found this nowhere near sweet enough and a little too Sorbet-ish......doesn`t make a lot of sense I guess, but the caramel ice cream was just gorgeous....I know what I`d have next time!

i-LGgzBNg-X2.jpg

Marilyn was making an appearance when we came out, and I don`t think I really captured her looking her best to be honest, but she was very much in character and played along beautifully.

i-PWtn49f-X2.jpg

I do love the experiences when we do stand for a character picture. Over the years, they have all been wonderful, spend a lot of time with each guest and the interactions are exactly as they should be with the particular characters. While, we don`t go seeking them out anymore, they are fun.

The Bourne Stuntacular was a new one for us this year and we had only heard wonderful reviews about the whole thing......I however, am not fussed on these types of shows......I am the person who used to use the Terminator show for snooze time. Kyle was amazed how the first visit ever, I sat down and fell asleep and woke up when it was over. If you ever saw T2 show.....you`ll know why he was surprised. It was loud.....guess I was tired.......and then it became a habit.......

We gave it a pass today, I was sure we`d enjoy it another day. Neither of us were particularly in a rush to see it.

i-DC3dfPQ-X2.jpg

We left the park and headed to Margaritaville where we planned to get a couple of appetisers for lunch.....and a Blackberry Margarita I had yearned for over the last 2 years. One of my favourite onsite cocktails.......

i-ThF9Smc-X2.jpg

Walking along the waterway in front of the HRC, we saw a lady walk with some toilet roll coming down from the outside of the top of her skirt???? And it was dragging on the ground, she was with her husband and son who must have seen it somehow.....but we caught up with them, I said excuse me and pointed it out to her as they were seemingly not speaking English........

Oh dear.

I think we set off the equivalent of WW3!!! She forgot to say thank you, instead she turned on her family and yelled at them in her own language, maybe Korean, for not mentioning it to her......heck!!! We slinked away quickly trying not to look back at the family being yelled at by a very irate and probably extremely embarrassed woman.

i-X9PbjFM-X2.jpg

i-8PdJ8zb-X2.jpg

Looking back over the water is very pretty, the whole area is very photogenic especially around the waterways.

HRC and Toothsome are two places we never eat in anymore. HRC I have said before, it`s just too loud and we`re seemingly too old for that now, we couldn`t hear ourselves think last time......and Toothsome we have always found it to be completely overrated. Nothing was good enough to go back for and we just didn`t enjoy the whole experience each time. The chocolate Bread I still have nightmares over.......

i-hwTLq6n-X2.jpg

Lunch coming soon........

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter