Home for the Holidays-Wizards-Grinches and Sparkles. 14 nights @Royal Pacific Resort, Nov/Dec 2021

Wow! The new coaster sounds awesome! I recently watched a 20-minute documentary on the planning, design, and construction on one of the streaming services, so I was already pumped to try it. After your description I’m super pumped! There’s a new coaster in construction at SeaWorld, so we may need to do a big coaster trip (or 2 or 3) to Orlando in 2022.
Do you mind sharing where you watched this? I’m hoping it will “ease” my nerves…….:D

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 26TH

We slept wonderfully, not wakening once during the night, and I got up around 6.30 this morning and took my time getting ready to head out to Studios today, and it looked another gorgeous day ahead........got to love that sunshine. I say we are always up early, even on vacation, but we have never once made early entry to the parks, just never appeals to us, and having EP makes it redundant really for us.

The Club Lounge was fairly busy, but not as busy as we expected, we got coffee and Tom had his usual croissants with honey, I made some toast and had cream cheese and grape jelly, then couldn`t resist a glazed donut.......I would have to stop eating donuts for breakfast......was something I should have told myself this morning!!!!

After chatting we headed down to get the boat and the line wasn`t too bad, we only waited a few minutes for one to come along and it was hot again......spoiler alert......this theme of heat and sunshine would continue for the whole 2 weeks!!! Not a drop of rain the whole time........it was nice getting the boat and we slowly meandered along the waterway and it`s always so lovely seeing Citywalk appear with the sights and sounds it brings.

We are the biggest fans of Christmas and everything Christmassy.......so it`s always a delight to see all the decorations, however large, however small........and we did love them from Universal.

i-2jBzV3G-X2.jpg

i-ZRs953Z-X2.jpg

We were excited to go through the gates again and get back into riding some of our favourites again, but as usual Tom`s fingerprints were completely non existant.......it is weird but every year they are never recognised after the first time. So, he, much to the annoyance of the folks in line behind him, held up the lone while she had to go check his details armed with his DOB. lol......I laughed as we always get so irate if we get stuck behind someone with the sheets of paper with the barcode on as their tickets.......they always have issues and we avoid them like the plague......now Tom was holding everyone up........

Didn`t take long and he was through, but we knew this would happen most times we came in the gates........and my goodness this was busier than we had seen it in years.

i-F4Nszn2-X2.jpg

i-tRW2HjK-X2.jpg

We weren`t doing Shrek today, we would though as it would be our last time enjoying this show.......with it closing in January we did want to experience it one last time, and it would be once as that was always enough for us, we like it, but it`s not an every day ride.

The minions we did plan to do once only too. Since they replaced the 3D with 2D it`s not as good for us, I did like the 3D and find the rides with glasses don`t make me queasy.....ones with no glasses do such as Simpsons and now minions, so minions is definitely a one and done.....Simpsons is a never again ride.

i-jmHBtwG-X2.jpg

i-k4rQsxH-X2.jpg

i-5Xx7pXS-X2.jpg

It is still fun, but not as much fun. However the pre show is still as good and we enjoy this a lot and don`t dance with the minions afterwards today, we want to be back out in the sunshine...

I always say my favourite park is IOA if pushed.......but my goodness this park is beautiful in it`s own way and some rides we absolutely love, I remember this was the first park we visited in 2007 and were wowed by The Mummy and even enjoyed Twister back then.....and can I say, there were a whole lot less people back then!!! I miss those days........Pre Potter days might not have been wonderful for business, but it was sure wonderful for us with no crowds at all, it was like having the park to ourselves some days. I am always torn when someone says I have to choose between the two parks........can`t.

The park had changed in some ways beyond recognition, the addition of food trucks was a very good one, and certainly seem very popular with everyone. We didn`t try anything from this one, nothing much excited us about the offerings, but it was always busy when it opened.

i-LbSqNQB-X2.jpg

It`s very rare we get to be in the middle of this area due to the many smokers which makes it particularly unpleasant to walk through at times, but today there were no smokers and we took advantage as it is a lovely area and could be better utilised than as a smoking area.

i-NpWnpgD-X2.jpg

i-tc2FdZj-X2.jpg

We moved off as a smoker appeared at that point and went over to the fake frontage of the NY library behind us and the firehouse frontage, when a lady approached us and said to us......did you know this was where they filmed the original Ghostbusters? I looked blankly at her as it was just so incredulous as she appeared to believe what she was telling me, and she got more animated as she explained this was the actual firehouse from the movie and the library behind was in it too.

You know at times you just don`t know where to start :duck:

I told her someone was pulling her chain......the park wasn`t even around when the original movie was released and we had seen the real firehouse and NYPL in Manhattan and it certainly wasn`t here they filmed it anyway.......she looked a little shocked and insisted it was true as her Universal Tour Guide had told them last night when they had done a VIP tour.......sure. Wasn`t sure what she had been told, but it was all hooey......she had the look of someone who was desperate to tell me I was an insufferable know it all.....wouldn`t have been the first time........ :rotfl: but they moved off and left us to take our pictures. Weird conversation.

i-9FRGhdd-X2.jpg

The tree in this park is impressive and even unlit it is very beautiful.......I was somewhat bemused by this Earl character that had appeared this year as a kind of mascot for Universal, not my thing at all, but it was a hit all round from all accounts. We did get a picture of the thing poking out of the tree when it was dark, but didn`t bother looking today. Not a fan of vermin type toys and characters......yes, even mice!!

i-CnXwPRx-X2.jpg

The last few years for Halloween and other special events, Universal have built a Tribute store to whatever the celebrations were for the time of year and we were looking forward to seeing it again this year. Although the facade was a little bit of a letdown somehow.....not the most festive of frontages that it could have been.

i-tm8Pvw4-X2.jpg

i-kszNdpF-X2.jpg

Inside it was very pretty and they had themed it just right with a definite Nutcracker style as you first enter........

i-bnpGZh3-X2.jpg

Then of course you see the main man himself in an overpowering image which does dominate the entire room.......and then, my kind of traditional and homely fireplace scene. The image of many Christmas cards and scenes in plays that we try to emulate....maybe a little cliche, but very beautiful.......

i-2N5wh9H-X2.jpg

i-khBWQhP-X2.jpg

i-xFT5rPm-X2.jpg

And who doesn`t look in a naughty or nice book as a child to see where your name was.......I knew where mine was.......lol.......

i-sv9tXw9-X2.jpg

And of course the second main man of UOR.......The Grinch had to be well supported too and they did a very good job of recreating the Grinch Lair in here, very colourful and I was seeing more and more items of clothing I wanted to buy and various other gifts too. Oh dear.

i-7VjD8bP-X2.jpg

i-McRLgTc-X2.jpg

i-6F7VJTJ-X2.jpg

i-qk2M2wv-X2.jpg

i-SMWZxwp-X2.jpg

Once you wander through, you are almost into an ice castle meets Hogwarts somehow, it is visually stunning and very cool to see this area, but the area still lacked something and wasn`t as sparkly as it could be, after a while it felt a little bland (sorry)

i-2nJ6zgD-X2.jpg

i-nM5kpFb-X2.jpg

i-B3kQjVq-X2.jpg

We didn`t spend a lot of time in there as we used to when it was HHN tribute store, those were amazing.....but instead we headed out to the gorgeous sunny day awaiting us and it was beautiful, we said throughout the trip how lucky we were with the weather this year, we couldn`t have asked for better.

But, time for some rides. We had missed out RRR this morning as even the EP was long.....I say long, it was long for us so we decided not to bother. We had plenty of days that didn`t involve the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend.

i-GcH2zDp-X2.jpg

We love The Mummy, and after depositing our bags, we looked and it wasn`t the longest of lines, so we hopped into the EP line and it took us a weird way where we joined the regular line area.......it didn`t make the wait any longer to be honest, but it had been a long time since we had seen some of these areas, I`d forgotten some of the images.

i-9Vk5NxT-X2.jpg

We didn`t ask for the front this time, and regretted it. It was a little too jerky and bumpy, but still a fabulous ride and it was fast at times, but we got off and went straight round again and this time we asked for the front and it was much better, we loved this one and enjoyed the ride another twice before I decided to stop rather than risk my head going woozy.....last thing we wanted. It is so much fun and I hope when it is revamped it becomes a little smoother again.

i-CRpRQd6-X2.jpg

We never got to see the Blues Brothers today, and it is such a fun show to watch, the lady who sings can carry a note or two for sure, if you haven`t seen it, take the time to watch it.

i-frXbpF7-X2.jpg

i-CHwWv6s-X2.jpg

We won`t eat Ben & Jerry`s ice cream, and we always used to have a slice of pizza from Louie`s then over to B&J`s for dessert when Kyle was with us as he is a chocolate ice cream lover, so we were delighted to see it was no longer B&J`s but Haagen Dazs.....so we`d be able to go back to having some ice cream again in the future as I prefer it to several we can get. And in the UK we can`t get the normal size tub of Dulce de Leche anymore......I adore that flavour, so I`d enjoy some of that here in the future. Kyle and Tom just eat the chocolate one.....simple.

i-fbBGg4d-X2.jpg

The Mummy is a favorite of mine, would reride over and over again, but something about it the last time we rode (Dec 2020) gave me anxiety??? It was so bumpy and not fun!! We only rode it once that visit :( I hope the long refurb next year fixes it!

The Mummy is a favorite of mine, would reride over and over again, but something about it the last time we rode (Dec 2020) gave me anxiety??? It was so bumpy and not fun!! We only rode it once that visit :( I hope the long refurb next year fixes it!

:welcome: along Lilias........

The Mummy has needed a refurb for a couple of years for sure, unless I was on the front, it was rough.

It`s a shame you felt that way when you love the ride so much, yes hopefully they`ll sort it for your next visit when it opens.....

Good to see you here........:wave2:

I ate my bodyweight in oysters and shrimp.
i am officially jealous, especially after paying $4 per quite small ones at The Boathouse. Note to self to check out Amitista’s buffet if in town for a holiday!
Tom did enjoy a mix of desserts and even he enjoyed the peanut butter smore thingy.......not for me.......
must say, usually not a fan of the mini desserts on the various buffets. Several of those you posted look amazing
We won`t eat Ben & Jerry`s ice cream
Ok, I’ll bite, why? :). Can’t say I’m a big fan of the brand, don’t think it lives up to the hype for the price.

Just popping in to say I am enjoying your report. Carole, you look so pretty and so slim! I think you look younger than you did pre-pandemic!

Did I mention I love you....... :rotfl:

Thank you and thank you again........I`m glad you`re enjoying reading along and thank you for the lovely compliments, I take them all.......::yes::

I do think though after the trip and now it`s Christmas, the diet will be starting urgently again Jan 2nd.......lol.......

Have a lovely Christmas and hope you`re doing marvellously. :wave2:

i am officially jealous, especially after paying $4 per quite small ones at The Boathouse. Note to self to check out Amitista’s buffet if in town for a holiday!

must say, usually not a fan of the mini desserts on the various buffets. Several of those you posted look amazing

Ok, I’ll bite, why? :). Can’t say I’m a big fan of the brand, don’t think it lives up to the hype for the price.

Oh they were lovely Janet.......I truly did eat so many of them! To however made up for it with the shrimp and crab he ate too, they were so tasty too......but honestly, watching Tom`s face was a treat too lol....

Yes, desserts are not usually something I rave over, but those mini ones were very nice and Tom said the chocolate ones were exceptional, I just can`t enjoy anything woth chocolate at the best of times, but add in peanut butter and you have the devils own feast for me......lol......must be me as everyone else loves it! Well, not Kyle as he is a fan of pure chocolate as it doesn`t need anything added.

I`ll pop it off in an email, might be too political for the boards........ ::yes::

Catch up soon......:wave2:

I won`t be updating for a few days as we`re off to Scotland to spend time with family and friends up there and enjoy all the festivities with them. It`s been such a long time since we seen everyone including my mum, so we are excited to leave today.

Sorting out last minute things early this morning as we have have house guests while we`re away, so making sure their room is very welcoming for them while they stay. They`ve stayed before so they know where everything is.

We have plans and reservations all sorted for tonight and Boxing Day meals out in the evening and one for lunch too, Christmas Day is purely with family although we are staying in a hotel nearby, the one we usually stay in when we`re up there. We got lucky and booked 2 rooms before they filled up completely.

So, I hope everyone has an amazing Christmas, whatever you may be doing, I hope it`s filled with laughter and happiness....and yes lots of lovely food and some nice drinks in there too....... 🥂

gif10-S.gif

gif11-M.gif

Loving the report so far...I couldn't believe how young Kyle looked in that picture. You and Tom don't age a bit. Your Thanksgiving buffet looked lush and I bet it was heavenly. But...I'm with Tom...I can't stand oysters either. You and I will never fight over oysters. :rotfl:

Looking forward to more! :hyper:

Each day is more wonderful than the last, I am loving this trip so much! I can just see Tom chortling with glee at the buffet 🤩

Here’s wishing you the merriest of Christmases, safe travels, and all the joy of being with family 🥰🥰🥰

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter