Going on first ever Disney Cruise!

@ladyofthetramp What are Chip and Dale wearing? What was the theme of the day (if there was one)? Was there a special event happening?
This was the 9 nt med cruise this past summer. We were playing shuffle board when they walked up to us. I think they were in their outfits for Italy-like little chefs? Not really sure, but pretty certain it was a sea day before we got to Naples.

You can't count on seeing characters randomly, but it's happened to us several times. We played shuffleboard on the Fantasy this past January, and Dug wandered along the deck, stopping and posing for pictures. We once were seated outside the Cove Cafe on the Magic (Med cruise) when I saw something moving in my peripheral vision. I looked up, and there was Mickey and Minnie in their traditional Italian garb waving to me. On our Baltic cruise, Donald was waiting near the stairs as people were going down to get off the ship at one of the ports and taking pictures with people and Daisy was in one of the venues where people were gathering getting ready for their port tour. It can happen any time, any place, can be fleeting, they can be just doing a quick wander through, they may show up at a venue. That's partly what's fun - never knowing who you'll meet, when or where.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 5
This was the 9 nt med cruise this past summer. We were playing shuffle board when they walked up to us. I think they were in their outfits for Italy-like little chefs? Not really sure, but pretty certain it was a sea day before we got to Naples.
It looked like a chef's hat, but I couldn't quite figure out why they would be wearing one. Based on the cruise/location you described, it makes more sense now. They look adorable.

Our favorite is the last night at the "Sea Ya Real Soon" party in the atrium (not sure if the new ships have this?) It seems to be a free-for-all to run around and get pictures with as many characters as you can find! But we have also always lucked out to have random character interactions around the ship. They may not always be our favorite ones, but they are always memorable and a special aspect of cruising!

Sitting out on Deck 12 of the Disney fantasy I saw Captain Hook and Smee as they dashed passed, I barely got my phone up in time but I don't remember seeing them again that cruise, for sure not scheduled. Maybe that's something they randomly do? Another time walking past the shops I saw Ahsoka Tano and some Jawas casually walking around. Sometimes a princess will be on deck 5 but corded off, just waving to whoever looks up. We came back from port one day and wanted to mini golf before the boat sailed again, and there was Goofy putting. We got a picture but he was gone after a min or two. I love the unexpected sightings tho! On the Merry Time cruise the lines were getting pretty outrageous, to the point the line was getting cut off prior to the character coming out. We were showing up 30 min early and still waiting 45 minutes to an hour to see them toward the end. I don't think you'll have that issue in January but plan to be a little early at least for the first few sightings, until you get the measure of enthusiasm on your sailing.

10 minute appearances? How many people/families legitimately get through those lines?
If you mean the official schedule, the 10 minutes is the time to get in line (On the cruise I did it was 15 minutes. The time listed was 10:45-11:00). If the end time is 10:55, that means if you are in line at 10:55, you will get to meet the character, not the character leaves at 10:55.

If you mean the official schedule, the 10 minutes is the time to get in line (On the cruise I did it was 15 minutes. The time listed was 10:45-11:00). If the end time is 10:55, that means if you are in line at 10:55, you will get to meet the character, not the character leaves at 10:55.
thank you

That’s awesome! I went on a Disney Cruise a while back, and it was such a great experience. You’re totally right about the characters—they’re way more accessible on the cruise, and I had some really fun, spontaneous encounters without any lines. Goofy was a highlight for sure! As for the private island, it’s beautiful, and they do have characters roaming around, which makes it feel even more special.

@TripleB909 - you asked about the island. I don’t know if that was regarding character experiences on the island or the island experience in general.

I love this professional shot of Castaway Cay

IMG_8734.jpeg

I’ll throw you some thoughts on a Disney island or beach visit.

Two “Cays”. The original, Castaway Cay (as Gorda Cay) is an island, the entirety of which is occupied by Disney. But not entirely filled up with buildings. The theme is an abandoned island with a runway (that is actually there and used for trams).

It is low-key, rather simple, any structure sort of blends in with the environment. Imagine you built with wooden cargo boxes - but all done by Disney designers. Nothing outlandish nor glitzy. No bright colors.

The stars of the show are two separate beach areas. One is the “Family Beach,” located nearer the ship, reachable by a 10-minute walk or a short tram ride. There are a few shops, a bar, some kids play areas (hidden somewhere), a water slide feature, and food area with large pavilions for lunch. There are plenty of loungers and umbrellas, a few hammocks, and well-tended soft sand. The ocean is contained by a rock wall, forming a swimming and snorkel area. There are a lot of lifeguards.

Watercraft activities (additional cost) initiate from the area between the ship and the family beach.

An additional tram (or longer walk) will get you to the adults-only, 18+ area of the island, Serenity Bay. Here the water is more shallow, wide open to the sea. As it is the Bahamas, the depth is shallow. The water is generally extremely calm, clear, nearly colorless, and does not have a sharp drop-off. There is a small lunch area with tables/umbrellas under some trees. And birds that will steal unattended food. These same birds will tear open a bag of chips if left where they can see it. There is a bar in this area, too. Not noisy. Just there.

You can access the island and return to the ship as often as you wish in your day visit. The ship docks not too far from the tram stop. And only one ship per day.

Towels, lunch with sodas and soft serve, and loungers, umbrellas are all part of your cruise fare. Snorkeling vest is required and complimentary. Kids areas.

Extra charges: alcohol, bikes, floats, snorkel gear, watercraft, parasailing, Stingray interaction.

Pelican Plunge water slide (Family Beach)

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg
Serenity Bay:

IMG_4743.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

Bottom line: no Conga lines, limbo, parties at the bars. Very simple, low-key. No pool. No big water park.

Yes: clean, normal bathrooms. No shower house. Go back to your cabin on the ship for that.

Last edited:
Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point

IMG_8735.jpeg

The other “Cay” for Disney is not a self-contained island. Lookout Cay is the Disneyfied name for Lighthouse Point at the Southern end of Eleuthera. That’s a very long, narrow island in the Eastern side of the Bahamas archipelago. About a mile north of the Disney development is Princess Cay, where Princess cruise line takes its guests for a beach day.

Princess Cay only faces the west and requires their guests to take a water taxi from ship to land. Disney built a pier to bring their guests to beaches located both westerly- and easterly- facing. Most guests will go to the father side, facing East. This does require more time and distance to get to the fun than Castaway Cay. The pier is long. Then you ride the tram.

This is all new, with first guests arriving in June 2024. Initial reviews were harsh, but problems have been addressed (some will never be conquered. The pier will always be long.). Greenery needs time to grow.

The adult and family areas share the same beautiful water and slightly pink sand. There is more coral available for snorkeling and seeing fish.

The overall theme is to celebrate the culture of The Bahamas, with more color splashes on buildings.

Food, drink, a children’s splash area are here, also. But again, no big water park nor pool. It’s not a duplication of Castaway Cay, but both provide a peaceful day at the beach. Without dealing with people offering goods ir services for sale.

There is the possibility of different excursions at this location, as the island is populated, yet access to the Disney area is somewhat restricted.

Last edited:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest