GF direct over Riviera direct is a no brainer

Yankee626

Mouseketeer
Buying Riviera over GFV direct is a foolish decision. There are too many advantages in buying GFV over Riviera.
No resale restrictions which means that if you have to sell at some point GFV will probably be twice the value of Riviera.
GFV dues are about $1.30 per point less.
Rooms are comparable / almost identical.
Views are much better at GFV.
GFV is walking distance to a park and a valuable Monorail resort.
Dining options and Shopping options far overtake Riviera.
You can always use your Direct points to stay at Riviera if you want.

Can anyone come up with a reason to buy Riviera over GFV ? Please dont say its on the skyliner .

I have stayed at the Riviera and its nice . But Im not giving DVC any money to condone the ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions they have put on that resort. If they are successful with selling out that resort quickly then whats to stop them from doing this to every resort in the future. It just devalues the whole product to current owners.

I hope it takes them 20 years to sell that resort out !

Last edited:
But Im not giving DVC any money to condone the ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions they have put on that resort.
Just for the sake of the debate, how exactly do the restrictions on resale points negatively impact the owner of points bought directly from DVC?
If they are successful with selling out that resort quickly then whats to stop them from doing this to every resort in the future.
Nothing. They've already indicated the intent to have these restrictions on new resorts. Unless they totally reverse course, I would anticipate similar resale restrictions to apply to new resorts.

Just for the sake of the debate, how exactly do the restrictions on resale points negatively impact the owner of points bought directly from DVC?

Nothing. They've already indicated the intent to have these restrictions on new resorts. Unless they totally reverse course, I would anticipate similar resale restrictions to apply to new resorts.
The restrictions reduce the amount that your contract is worth on the open market. Are you saying that the value is the same to an owner for both of these resorts ? Because its not. Look at the resale values of GFV vs Riviera.

Respectfully, who cares? GF is the flagship DVC/hotel near the MK and featured in all the ads for WDW. I would always expect it to garner more money on direct/resale, and that's fine. BW/BC have die-hard fans who will happily buy in at top dollar on resale to have those amenities and location. We love Riviera and slightly prefer it over GF, but we still love GF.

We own both, VGF since 2014. Since the new BPK studio only, VGF is moving down on my favorite list. Don't say Skyliner? That is one of the main reasons we purchased Riviera.
Of the 3 resorts we own it may end up moving to 3rd favorite and my points may end up being SAP. I still love VGF, but have no desire to stay at BPK and VGF points may end up being SAP if the original Villas become difficult to book.
ETA, I will hold my judgement on BPK. We may book a short stay there in the future just to check it out.

Last edited:

If nobody was buying Riviera because of the restrictions then DVC would have no choice but to get rid of the restrictions. If car manufacturers decided not to give a warranty on a new car while others still had warranties how many would they sell ? But if customers kept ignorantly buying those non warrantied cars then other car makers would stop giving warranties too. Im just looking out for the DVC consumer . Its a bad trend that us educated consumers should not support !

Last edited:
If they are successful with selling out that resort quickly then whats to stop them from doing this to every resort in the future.
I think this is their plan. If PVB2 is a separate association I fully expect it to have the same restrictions as RIV.
It just devalues the whole product to current owners.
I 100% agree with you here. I don't understand why they would want to devalue their own product on the resale market. IMO, establishing the member exclusives for direct is how you keep people wanting to buy direct, not by devaluing their own product in the TS market. To further @Yankee626 comment regarding cars - one of the biggest selling points for various car manufactures is the retained value of the vehicle down the road. Doesn't keep people from buying new cars for the perks provided with a new car but it also gives them confidence that they'll be able to sell for a decent value at the end of their time with it. Seems like resale restrictions go completely opposite of that concept and DVD sees resale as pure competition to direct.

I think this is their plan. If PVB2 is a separate association I fully expect it to have the same restrictions as RIV.

I 100% agree with you here. I don't understand why they would want to devalue their own product on the resale market. IMO, establishing the member exclusives for direct is how you keep people wanting to buy direct, not by devaluing their own product in the TS market. To further @Yankee626 comment regarding cars - one of the biggest selling points for various car manufactures is the retained value of the vehicle down the road. Doesn't keep people from buying new cars for the perks provided with a new car but it also gives them confidence that they'll be able to sell for a decent value at the end of their time with it. Seems like resale restrictions go completely opposite of that concept and DVD sees resale as pure competition to direct.
My only thought is that after Riviera is sold out that DVC will start buying back all the restricted resales for like $100 per point and sell them back to the Public for $230 per point . Maybe its their way of doubling profits.
Maybe they see how DVC owners have made so much over resales that they want to limit that and take the money themselves.

We bought in direct Riviera knowing all about the restrictions. We bought with the intention of passing it on to our two kids. If we have to sell in a decade, I am not worried about recouping our buy-in price in the $170s when it's selling on resale now, coming out of a pandemic, going into a recession, in the $140s.

And, yes, we will say the Skyliner is a major factor, because we loved it the second we heard about it, and it only got better when we tried it. I am confident it will be expanded, hopefully soon, and that only adds to Riviera's value as being the only DVC (currently) with its own direct Skyliner station, under cover from the elements.

As well, my husband now needs an ECV for mobility, which I anticipated when we bought in. Riviera is really convenient for getting around with an ECV and not being at the mercy of full buses having room for the scooters. Yes, sometimes there's a wait for the special Skyliner gondolas, but our experience has been wonderful so far, No complaints from us. If anything, makes us love Riviera more!

GF BPK holds zero appeal to us. The renovations are beautiful, but we have no desire to be in a hotel room with thin walls. GFV are great and lush, but there's no food options right there without exposure to the elements and a trek. We love having so many dining options on property at Riviera.

Lastly, for us, MK is not our favorite park, by a long shot. We're happy doing everything with the extra magic hours, or whatever they call it, DVC has access to on Wednesday nights. That's honestly enough time to hit everything we want, so why pay a premium to be close to our not-so-favorite park?

I wish the resale restrictions weren't in play, but I don't see how Poly 2.0 won't have them if they want to keep pushing the new business model. Either way, we're socking money away for Poly 2.0, because we don't do studios unless forced to, and we love the all-in-one tower style. The theming of Poly 2.0, right now, isn't great on the outside, but hell, we want the nice rooms and convenient food/transportation, and it looks like it's going to have it. If it has restrictions, oh well.

The restrictions reduce the amount that your contract is worth on the open market. Are you saying that the value is the same to an owner for both of these resorts ? Because its not. Look at the resale values of GFV vs Riviera.
This is an oft-repeated opinion here on the DIS, but there isn't actual evidence to suggest that Riviera resale prices have been negatively impacted by the resale restrictions. There hasn't been a ton of resale activity for Riviera so I think it is a tad early to say that the restrictions are pulling down the market.

GFV resale contracts have a higher cost/value for a lot of different reasons.

I own at RIV and it took a while for me to decide to deal with the resale aspect, for us it's one of three contracts so we figured if the value was low it might just be the last one to go in a liquidation.

As for Riviera vs vgf I haven't made the cost per point per year calculation...however I also think VGF is over rated with poor service and lately the place is falling apart (the resort not necessarily the vgf2 rooms) with a lot of what made it special gone (big gripe being the band) YRMV

Last edited:
My only thought is that after Riviera is sold out that DVC will start buying back all the restricted resales for like $100 per point and sell them back to the Public for $230 per point .
This is the only thing I'll say on the matter.

People are currently paying upward of $20 per point to rent DVC points for a single trip...and still saving money vs paying hotel rates. As long as WDW remains a premier vacation destination, there will absolutely be people looking for cheaper ways to visit. Even if that means staying at Riviera every single time. That inherent demand for WDW accommodations is going to keep resale prices from ever cratering.

Buying a single large Riviera contract is probably unwise. There will be fewer people willing to take on 300 Riviera points. But splitting it into 75 x 4 contracts will be much easier to move down the road.

Someone who owns at multiple resorts should have even fewer hangups over Riviera. If you someday determine that you have too many points, just sell one of the non-Riviera locations.

Riviera has a lower buy-in price, a longer contract, and some people just happen to like it. Different strokes.

I love Riviera. But I bought VGF direct for all the reasons the OP mentioned. Already changed my GF reservation to Poly and have RIV waitlisted. So yeah, if there’s a specific room type you have to have at RIV, buy RIV.

There is a smaller buyer pool, for sure. Buyers will more likely buy it to supplement their membership vs, being the only one. But not everyone cares about resale value…I didn’t..never have…but would much rather own a resort I love than one I don’t.

I own both RIV and VGF. RIV wins hand down for us as a resort. My RIV points are both direct and resale.

The average RIV contract is selling for around $135 to $145. Not bad considering it is limited. What does that tell you? People love it enough to buy it even restricted. What will it be worth in 10 years? Who knows. No one does. Any direct purchase resort takes a hit resale. Buy SSR today direct and your loss is greater currently than buying RIV direct.

They are 44.5% sold, after just over 3 years, including the pandemic and what it did to sales. So, there are plenty of people who are buying.

We split stay between the two so we do enjoy both but RIV is where we stay for longer. We love the vibe We love the QS there. Sitting at the waters edge overlooking the lake at CBR makes me feel like I am in the Caribbean. I turn around and I am back at RIV.

The Skyliner brings up to Epcot which is our top park now when there for adult only trips,,which is more often than not. So, we get all the food and drink options imaginable.

Many of the SV rooms have view of the fireworks which is awesome since we no longer do open to close park visits.

Not every resort is for everyone. People love AKV…I don’t. I think restrictions are here to stay and will be shocked if the new Poly tower doesn’t have them.

DVC is a lot of $$$ and for those who have chosen RIV over VGF in the past few months when given the choice, did so in-spite of restrictions. There was only a 5k difference in buyers.

VGF isn’t for everyone, even though it doesn’t have the resale restrictions RIV does.

That is the good thing about DVC. Lots of choices to fit everyone. I didn’t buy to worry about the next buyer of my contracts. I didn’t buy to send a message or worry about other owners.

I bought to enjoy and decided that enjoyment outweighs any potential loss if and when I need to sell.

Last edited:

The only real power DVD has to make the product different is restricted points.

Membership extras can’t be guaranteed as they are incidental and rely on agreement with other divisions or third parties,

Look at APs. We are not getting them as DVC owners right now. Why? Because DPEP controls them not DVD.

The reason they want to make the product different is to have people choose them vs. resale to buy from.

Resale value is not something they can advertise or even promote. That is why the POS has that language all over it and in bold. It may be hard to believe but I don’t think DVD cares about resale in the way many of us think they would.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter