GF direct over Riviera direct is a no brainer

If you can't fit by the cart in a giant Poly hallway, not sure what is going to fit. Those hallways are pretty big. Here's a pic of the Poly hallway: https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/the-villas-at-disneys-polynesian-resort/gallery/24mar2015-tour-inside-a-disney's-polynesian-village-resort-deluxe-studio/23769.htm#&gid=1&pid=12

VGF1 has a lot more clearance on the "wide" parts. The rest are decades older. We travel a lot with a chair, and this isn't a problem in newer stuff, generally speaking, even where accessibility isn't really a huge deal. That's why RIV was surprising, as a brand new build, in a place where everyone is on a scooter.

I find it unlikely that this wasn't an active choice. I guess we will see in Poly2.

Sorry. I may have confused you. You can for sure fit by the cart with an ECV without issue at all of those places, including RIV.

I meant that when there was a cart, you could not fit an ECV and having a stroller or luggage coming the other way at the same time.

It’s certainly something that people need to be aware of but just pointing out that the experiences we have had with ECV and people coming the other way, or carts in the hallway have never been any different at RIV than other places.

It’s not meant to be a criticism but just clarifying for others that the hallway situation at RIV is not unique.

Or do take it in your wheelchair, struggle to find the lobby, then discover there's a giant staircase and wander the hallways until you find an elevator.

I mean there is a legit elevator right there? Its also super fast and with such a small footprint you are never waiting for other groups.

I can make any picture look big or small based on angles. I know you personally had an issue there and I dont doubt that for a second but for us with a double wide stroller we never had an issue. We only had the scooter at VGF which was fine as well but never had it in the RIV hallways.

I would be interested (think I asked before) if someone had measurements of the various hallways to give real examples of the size difference. Maybe I will stop around this year and get the measurements.

I want to add one MAJOR benefit of Riviera is that you can just pull whatever you want directly through the room all the way to the windows in the 1BR/2BR. That is not the case with VGF which was a major pain as you now had to essentially either fold the stroller up and park the scooter in the hallway or you need to wrangle everything around blocking of hallways to bedrooms.

1672886020234.png

It’s not meant to be a criticism but just clarifying for others that the hallway situation at RIV is not unique.
SSR first floor indoor/outdoor hallway is tighter than RIV - I had to " pull over" with my suitcase to let the ECV pass.

Buying Riviera over GFV direct is a foolish decision. There are too many advantages in buying GFV over Riviera.
No resale restrictions which means that if you have to sell at some point GFV will probably be twice the value of Riviera.
GFV dues are about $1.30 per point less.
Rooms are comparable / almost identical.
Views are much better at GFV.
GFV is walking distance to a park and a valuable Monorail resort.
Dining options and Shopping options far overtake Riviera.
You can always use your Direct points to stay at Riviera if you want.

Can anyone come up with a reason to buy Riviera over GFV ? Please dont say its on the skyliner .

I have stayed at the Riviera and its nice . But Im not giving DVC any money to condone the ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions they have put on that resort. If they are successful with selling out that resort quickly then whats to stop them from doing this to every resort in the future. It just devalues the whole product to current owners.

I hope it takes them 20 years to sell that resort out !
You are 100% right.. People can say what they want but the numbers speak for themselves.. Riviera has about a 20% lower resell value than VGF

You are 100% right.. People can say what they want but the numbers speak for themselves.. Riviera has about a 20% lower resell value than VGF

It's possible the re-sale value is 20% lower due to re-sale restrictions.(according to dvcstore.com, it's really only about a 10% difference). Also extremely possible it's because that direct prices, until recently, were much much higher for VGF than for RIV. And since the gap between the direct prices has closed, the gap between the re-sale prices has closed as well.
RIV's resale value is higher than other "unrestricted" resorts such as Aulani, SSR and AKL. So clearly, it's not just the restrictions at play.

Courtesy of dvcresalemarket, we can see that RIV has maintained resale prices consistently in the middle of the pack (and their resale price will certainly rise once they sell out and get ROFRed but that may be a while):

1672930029198.png

Interesting because I got my numbers from the DVC Broker Price Opinion Tool. When I put in equal 150 Point contract value to compare. It gave me 140 per point for Riviera and GF gave me 170 per point which is way lower than this graph showing 160.. The resale volume is low enough that perhaps a huge contract which brings lower point contract and drags the average down. Wondering what the next few months will show.

Interesting because I got my numbers from the DVC Broker Price Opinion Tool. When I put in equal 150 Point contract value to compare. It gave me 140 per point for Riviera and GF gave me 170 per point which is way lower than this graph showing 160.. The resale volume is low enough that perhaps a huge contract which brings lower point contract and drags the average down. Wondering what the next few months will show.

Meh price opinion tool is about as good as a random realtor telling you what they can sell your house for.

In the end VGF had an elevated price to where it will land in the future because it use to be a tiny resort with very limited rooms.

Riviera was born in to the pandemic and while it was outselling prior resorts like CCV on the direct side hit a stone wall meaning that it will be a while still until we see the true resale price of RIV. I suspect it will fall between the "good" and the "meh" resorts. Meaning below BLT/POLY and above AKV/SSR/OKW.

Meh price opinion tool is about as good as a random realtor telling you what they can sell your house for.

In the end VGF had an elevated price to where it will land in the future because it use to be a tiny resort with very limited rooms.

Riviera was born in to the pandemic and while it was outselling prior resorts like CCV on the direct side hit a stone wall meaning that it will be a while still until we see the true resale price of RIV. I suspect it will fall between the "good" and the "meh" resorts. Meaning below BLT/POLY and above AKV/SSR/OKW.

Not an unreasonable conclusion. That’s where the resale prices are now, can stay there.

It’s possible that as more resale hits the market, due to the restrictions, it hurts the resale price.

It’s also possible, when the resort sells out so there are no more incentivized direct points, and there is ROFR… and Riviera becomes the only Epcot area resort with a long future (in other words, selling out around 2026, under 15 years left on BCV and BWV), the resale price could skyrocket.

I want to add one MAJOR benefit of Riviera is that you can just pull whatever you want directly through the room all the way to the windows in the 1BR/2BR. That is not the case with VGF which was a major pain as you now had to essentially either fold the stroller up and park the scooter in the hallway or you need to wrangle everything around blocking of hallways to bedrooms.

Yes, VGF2 (resort rooms) can do this as well, even with the little desk in the entrance. I think you could stack up scooters in there, just pull them straight in. The double pocket door bathroom though...

Yes, VGF2 (resort rooms) can do this as well, even with the little desk in the entrance. I think you could stack up scooters in there, just pull them straight in. The double pocket door bathroom though...

Some of the resort studios do not have that same entrance area. We did not when we stayed there.

Ya I personally wouldn't ever look at the those but its a good call out if someone wants those rooms.

I would say a downside to that building is that its not connected to the resort so if its downpouring you are getting wet or waiting. Even the long covered area from the mail building to VGF can leave you hugging one side but at least its covered.

Riviera thats a problem when you come back from HS/CBR turn stations as you have to make the walk around the station that is not covered (poor decision) compared to the covered area that is the Epcot return station area.

I know my issues with VGF though are unlikely to stop others from enjoying it so I try to avoid bringing it up really as they are minor overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter