First Solo Trip in October

Do you usually get a park hopper when you go solo? I’ve never gotten a park hopper, because one park is usually 10-12 hr day.

That's a preference thing. I always get a hopper (or an AP). I like to do several hours in one park, then either take a break or move to another, then maybe another for a night time show.

That's a preference thing. I always get a hopper (or an AP). I like to do several hours in one park, then either take a break or move to another, then maybe another for a night time show.

Thank you. That’s what I was thinking too. Just doing one park, it’s a rush to get everything done in one day. I just bought an AP. :flower1::yay:

With an AP, that would have the park hopper included plus the memory maker. So if you want character shots or posing in front of iconic buildings, you are covered.

I do a lot of Food & Wine festival when I go in October, so I don't usually bother with sit down dining ADRs. Once the special events come out for Food & Wine I'd look into booking a couple of those! They're really fun.

I do a lot of Food & Wine festival when I go in October, so I don't usually bother with sit down dining ADRs. Once the special events come out for Food & Wine I'd look into booking a couple of those! They're really fun.
Thank you. I’ll have to look what the Food & Wine Festival is all about.

Do you usually get a park hopper when you go solo? I’ve never gotten a park hopper, because one park is usually 10-12 hr day.
I always get a park hopper when I go solo. I love spending a few hours in one park, heading back to the resort for a rest then spending a few hours at a different park. On my last day I try to ride at least one ride in each park - it's fun!

When I'm solo I don't feel the need to do everything. I take my time, wait for the perfect picture, relax with an ice cream or a drink. Take more pictures. And park hopping is a big part of that for me.

I always get a park hopper when I go solo. I love spending a few hours in one park, heading back to the resort for a rest then spending a few hours at a different park. On my last day I try to ride at least one ride in each park - it's fun!

When I'm solo I don't feel the need to do everything. I take my time, wait for the perfect picture, relax with an ice cream or a drink. Take more pictures. And park hopping is a big part of that for me.

This sounds exactly what I’m planning on doing. With doing just one park a day, always seems like a rush to get through everything. I’d also like to visit a few resorts for photos(a break from the parks).

I would like to do ADR, for breakfast and lunh(or dinner). I’m thinking Kona Cafe, Grand Floridian Cafe,Prime Time, Whispering Canyon, Yak & Yeti? Any other recommendations? I’ve been to Crystal Palace, Sci Fi and Tusker House(which I didn’t care for). Thank you

You're right.

I'm just doing the math to see if Tables in Wonderland saves. Trying to figure out how many meals I would have to buy before I start seeing a saving. I did it before buying an AP and found I would see a savings after my 10th visit.

So using $45 as a general number per meal ($53 with tip) I will save $0.90 per meal - so say one dollar. At $150 per year that's 150 meals before I start saving.

Even if I double the savings to $2 per meal that means I have to eat 75 meals at around $45 each ($3,375) before I start to save money.

Please understand I am not dismissing the suggestion or not appreciating that it was mentioned by Brad. I am glad you (Brad) brought it up - thank you. Just running some numbers out loud to see if perhaps I'm missing something about this offer.

Your math is way off.

If a meal is $45, your bill without any discount would be $53 with the tip.

That same meal with TiW card would be about $44 (not counting tax on either). So your savings would be about $9 per meal.

It also gives you a savings on any alcohol purchased at participating TS and lounges.

Generally speaking -- if you do not already have an AP discount, you'd need to spend about $750 to break even. If you have an AP discount, then you'll need to spend about $1500 on food to break even. This isn't an exact statement since the AP discount isn't good for alcohol and not all places accept the AP and TiW -- so it might be a little different.

I think I have been misunderstanding the benefits, too, so I have taken brad813's and richmo's advice and done the math. I can't make it work for a solo traveler.

I called (waited for far too long...) and confirmed they take the 20% from the full price but not the tip - pretty standard.
A $60 meal - 20% = $48. The mandatory 18% tip is $10.80 so the total you pay for a $60 meal is $58.80. A saving of $1.20.
You pay $150 up front. $1.20 ÷ $150 is 125.
If you eat 125 meals at $60 you hit the pre-payment. So every meal after 125 you're saving about a dollar.

A $35 breakfast saves $0.70 - a $100 dinner saves $2. Can't see how one would break even on this.

Again taking Brad's advice I have decided it would not be worthwhile for me to have given my personal circumstances. I will not be eating 100 table service meals during the year. For me, I'll take the 10% AP discount on my $60 meal, add a 20% tip and pay $61.20 ($2.40 over the TIW). I'm not paying $150 for the discount AND giving a good server a good tip.

Now back to Disneylover1970's solo trip: Where are you staying?

Wouldn't you tip on that $60 meal? If so -- then the total would be closer to $72 without TiW. That's a savings of about $13.

You're comparing the final price with TiW, which includes the tip -- to a price without factoring in the tip at all. You've got to compare apples to apples.

For me, I'll take the 10% AP discount on my $60 meal, add a 20% tip and pay $61.20 ($2.40 over the TIW). I'm not paying $150 for the discount AND giving a good server a good tip.

$60 meal with AP discount would be $64.80 (not including tax). [$60*0.9*1.2=$64.8]
$60 meal with TiW would be $56.64 (not including tax) [$60*.8*1.18]

So TiW would save you about $8 per meal above the AP discount. This means you would break even on your 19th meal using TiW instead of the AP discount.

Last year at MNSSHP they had the Skeleton dance photo - it is a long exposure unusual light photo. If they have something similar this year I highly recommend it. It was a cool pic and interesting to watch them take it. Since the photopass is included with the AP you should take advantage. Also if you can get a table the air conditioning in The Plaza at MK is amazing. And the food was pretty good. It is quickly becoming a fav of mine for a late lunch/ get out of the heat for a bit spot.

Last year at MNSSHP they had the Skeleton dance photo - it is a long exposure unusual light photo. If they have something similar this year I highly recommend it. It was a cool pic and interesting to watch them take it. Since the photopass is included with the AP you should take advantage. Also if you can get a table the air conditioning in The Plaza at MK is amazing. And the food was pretty good. It is quickly becoming a fav of mine for a late lunch/ get out of the heat for a bit spot.

Thank you. Just looked at their menu, I’m going to make ADR.

Another thing to factor in with the TiW card is that if you are driving you get free valet parking at the resort you have an ADR for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter