Finish this sentence..

The one thing that helps our family ease the post vacation doldrums is we get to come home and see our dog. I know it probably sounds silly to a lot of people, but we really miss the big guy when we travel and thinking about picking him up eases the "ride home blues". Therefore, OP your solution is simple - buy him a puppy!! :goodvibes

All (bad) jokes aside, I do think it helps to have something to look forward to upon arriving home vs. just back to school / back to work/ piles of laundry, etc. It doesn't help with this trip, but maybe next time plan a fun outing in your hometown within a week or so of coming home. That way your son has something to look forward to vs. just looking back and missing his vacation.

Or buy him a puppy - your choice!

:laughing: I like this solution.

Your more serious suggestion reminds me of something somewhat related -- in recent years I've figured out that I readjust much more quickly after a vacation if I have at least a full day before I go back to work, preferably two or more. On our Disneyland trip last fall we had a full weekend on either end of the trip itself, and it was amazing how much it improved things. I thought I'd feel deprived because it meant only five days of travel instead of using up every possible day off, but in reality it was just so relaxing to be able to take our time getting ready and then take our time getting back into our normal routines before our Big Adult Responsibilities came crashing back down on us. I think it can really help hold off post-trip doldrums to build that readjustment time at home into one's vacation plans. All the better if there's something fun to look forward to after a week of being back at work/school, too.

I'm not a health care professional, but I think children can take a smaller dosage of Xanax.
Dr won't prescribe this for kids. They are highly addictive. They usually prescribe an anti-depressant for anxiety or depression. I don't know if kids that young can really have chemical imbalances in the brain it usually happens to teens. I'm not a psychiatrist though. Just to be clear before I get attacked I'm not advocating anything, I'm just answering her question.

I also like the idea of having a pet to come home to... maybe you already do?
My DS loves Disney World (DCL too but WDW way more)... and it's a very sad day when we go home. We have gone every year, but he will always put WDW before other vacations. Having said, at the end of the trip he is also happy he will see his cat soon, play with his toys at home, watch some tv..see his friends, grandparents etc...
He loves traveling but also likes his daily life at home.
Kids are for the most part happy either way.. so I wonder too if maybe there is something going on at school. Could be as simple as not fitting in... feeling isolated? Could be teasing, many things.
Does he have a best friend? Other things that make him happy?
If you looked into all that already, what my DS loves is watching YouTube vacation vlogs. There are so many DCL, WDW and others.
Hope the situation gets better soon.

I also like the idea of having a pet to come home to... maybe you already do?
My DS loves Disney World (DCL too but WDW way more)... and it's a very sad day when we go home. We have gone every year, but he will always put WDW before other vacations. Having said, at the end of the trip he is also happy he will see his cat soon, play with his toys at home, watch some tv..see his friends, grandparents etc...
He loves traveling but also likes his daily life at home.
Kids are for the most part happy either way.. so I wonder too if maybe there is something going on at school. Could be as simple as not fitting in... feeling isolated? Could be teasing, many things.
Does he have a best friend? Other things that make him happy?
If you looked into all that already, what my DS loves is watching YouTube vacation vlogs. There are so many DCL, WDW and others.
Hope the situation gets better soon.
My kids get very excited to see their dog. I do and I don't. I don't like the 400.00 dollar boarding bill. Something to consider before you get a pet is the cost if you travel a lot. We travel a lot and I swore I would never get another one, but this one kind of wandered into our life.

My kids get very excited to see their dog. I do and I don't. I don't like the 400.00 dollar boarding bill. Something to consider before you get a pet is the cost if you travel a lot. We travel a lot and I swore I would never get another one, but this one kind of wandered into our life.
I agree, our friends that travel with us pay this every time for their dog.
That’s why we have a cat ;)
We can take him to my in-laws etc no problem.

Don't get me started on kennel bills. We are blessed to have an incredible kennel about 30 minutes from us and I'd never leave him anywhere else, but the bill - wow! We were in Alaska for 18 days last summer. It was over $900 to spring the pooch when we got home. So yes, good advice for anyone thinking about a pet. If you travel frequently, it can get very pricey - especially as they get older as ours is and they require more specialized care. We travel a lot and easily spend over $1K a year just on kennel fees.

Don't get me started on kennel bills. We are blessed to have an incredible kennel about 30 minutes from us and I'd never leave him anywhere else, but the bill - wow! We were in Alaska for 18 days last summer. It was over $900 to spring the pooch when we got home. So yes, good advice for anyone thinking about a pet. If you travel frequently, it can get very pricey - especially as they get older as ours is and they require more specialized care. We travel a lot and easily spend over $1K a year just on kennel fees.
I think I spent 2k one year because we went to Europe for a month and then took 2 additional trips. My dh didn't get the weeks off for our trip this year. He's like it's OK I can buy a new TV with the money we save on the dog boarding. Silver lining for everything.

:laughing: I like this solution.

Your more serious suggestion reminds me of something somewhat related -- in recent years I've figured out that I readjust much more quickly after a vacation if I have at least a full day before I go back to work, preferably two or more. On our Disneyland trip last fall we had a full weekend on either end of the trip itself, and it was amazing how much it improved things. I thought I'd feel deprived because it meant only five days of travel instead of using up every possible day off, but in reality it was just so relaxing to be able to take our time getting ready and then take our time getting back into our normal routines before our Big Adult Responsibilities came crashing back down on us. I think it can really help hold off post-trip doldrums to build that readjustment time at home into one's vacation plans. All the better if there's something fun to look forward to after a week of being back at work/school, too.

Thank you for this! I have a 4-night Dream cruise booked for next Presidents' Week and am definitely doing a short WDW stay for 3 nights before. I'd been contemplating doing a couple of nights after which would have me flying home Sunday and back to school (I teach) Monday. I may still do a Friday night WDW stay and fly in Saturday evening which would give me a day to ease back into non-ship life and a day to ease into non-vacation life. I think you're right though...I flew home late Friday from this year's break at WDW and since I've had a couple of days to chill I'm feeling a little more ready to go back.

Thank you for this! I have a 4-night Dream cruise booked for next Presidents' Week and am definitely doing a short WDW stay for 3 nights before. I'd been contemplating doing a couple of nights after which would have me flying home Sunday and back to school (I teach) Monday. I may still do a Friday night WDW stay and fly in Saturday evening which would give me a day to ease back into non-ship life and a day to ease into non-vacation life. I think you're right though...I flew home late Friday from this year's break at WDW and since I've had a couple of days to chill I'm feeling a little more ready to go back.

While I hate to be the person saying not to do as many days at WDW as possible...my personal preference going forward is that if I'm off the ship on Friday, I'm coming home that same day or the next morning at the latest. On my January cruise I broke the rule I'd just established last fall and did a two night stay in WDW after debarkation, which had me getting home Sunday evening and going straight back to work the next day. I had felt really refreshed on Friday morning when I got off the ship, but the weekend wore me out and I was miserable on Monday morning. And, too, I got sick after this trip. I always used to get sick after WDW trips, but when we did the recovery weekend after Disneyland I stayed healthy as a horse. I don't know if that's a problem for you, but it seems my immune system isn't up to the quick turnaround.

While I hate to be the person saying not to do as many days at WDW as possible...my personal preference going forward is that if I'm off the ship on Friday, I'm coming home that same day or the next morning at the latest. On my January cruise I broke the rule I'd just established last fall and did a two night stay in WDW after debarkation, which had me getting home Sunday evening and going straight back to work the next day. I had felt really refreshed on Friday morning when I got off the ship, but the weekend wore me out and I was miserable on Monday morning. And, too, I got sick after this trip. I always used to get sick after WDW trips, but when we did the recovery weekend after Disneyland I stayed healthy as a horse. I don't know if that's a problem for you, but it seems my immune system isn't up to the quick turnaround.

Thanks! Oh, I'd just do one night after and take an afternoon/early evening flight Saturday so I'd have Sunday to sleep in/rest. The extra day was nice at the park on Friday, but the 9:22pm flight put me getting home after 1am which was crazy.

+1 on this strategy. I like being able to breathe following a vacation. I find that unpacking slowly during my day off and take the time to upload my pictures help me move on (back into routine).

I also have pets (3 cats) at home and all I wanna do when I get back home is cuddle with them.

+1 on this strategy. I like being able to breathe following a vacation. I find that unpacking slowly during my day off and take the time to upload my pictures help me move on (back into routine).

I also have pets (3 cats) at home and all I wanna do when I get back home is cuddle with them.

Yeah, I had Saturday and Sunday after my WDW trip and doing that report (it is up on the main board Trip Reports subforum) helped a lot.

Having to be up, dressed, and out today I did notice my left wrist feels very bare where the MagicBand resided. :(

Dr won't prescribe this for kids. They are highly addictive. They usually prescribe an anti-depressant for anxiety or depression. I don't know if kids that young can really have chemical imbalances in the brain it usually happens to teens. I'm not a psychiatrist though. Just to be clear before I get attacked I'm not advocating anything, I'm just answering her question.
Kids that young can and do have chemical imbalances in the brain. Anyone can at any time. It doesn't necessarily mean you need medication or therapy. The brain is an unbelievably complex machine, and sometimes imbalances happen and right themselves, sometimes intervention is needed.

That's insane. Our vet charges us $15 a day to board. If you stay more than 7 days a basic groom (bath. nail clip, sanitary trim if needed) is included. If they need medication administered it is an extra $3 per day.

That's insane. Our vet charges us $15 a day to board. If you stay more than 7 days a basic groom (bath. nail clip, sanitary trim if needed) is included. If they need medication administered it is an extra $3 per day.
Ours is more of doggy spa. They get huge glass rooms and beds. They have indoor and outdoor play areas. The dogs run around and play all day. They get ice cream treats at night. I'm always surprised he wants to come home. Sometimes I think his vacations are better then mine.

Ours is more of doggy spa. They get huge glass rooms and beds. They have indoor and outdoor play areas. The dogs run around and play all day. They get ice cream treats at night. I'm always surprised he wants to come home. Sometimes I think his vacations are better then mine.

Yep! Pretty much sums up our experience, though I don't think he gets ice cream :-). He does get chicken and rice sometimes, though. I also pay extra for his daily "field trips". They take a few dogs out together off leash in this huge fenced in field to run, play fetch, frisbee, etc. I'd never take him anywhere else. They even have a swimming pool and a hot tub (mainly used for therapy sessions for dogs recovering from injuries), though our dog hates water so we skip that. He is so excited when he gets there, it's almost insulting. You really come to appreciate how well they care for them when your dog gets older or needs special care. Merlin ruptured his ACL a couple of years ago. Had it not been for the wonderful owner of the kennel, I would have probably had to stay home from at least one vacation if not two that summer to care for him. He was at the "spa" less than 2 weeks after surgery and the owner even drove him about 15 miles to our vet to have his stitches removed.

I guess it sounds crazy to some people, but we look at the cost as an investment in our own vacation. While we miss Merlin, we don't worry about him or feel guilty for leaving him there, allowing us to just enjoy ourselves. He's having a ball!

I have an 11lb, 8 year old mini dachshund who only wants to be where her people are. The kennels for the small dogs at our vet are in a fairly high traffic area and she gets lots of human interaction, which is really all she cares about. She pretty much goes out to do her business and that's about it.

I can relate. My son was hysterical on the last day of our last vacation and he was bummed out to be home for quite a few weeks after.

My answer is: 1) talk to your kid about his negative emotions (because everyone has them and it will be a big help if he learns to deal with them while he is young); and 2) work together to plan some fun things to do together close to home like finding a new playground, a Disney movie night, a fun craft or building project, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter